Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2012, 12:33   #5386
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
So a minor dash got the right side rear (tail) light broken. Do note only the outer (red) glass is broken, the inner light assembly and bulbs are working fine.

Any pointers on whether I can arrange this from the outside market. Of course will be trying to procure the same from VW workshop, but according to a quotation taken by @mikon earlier, this set costs a bomb!
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-broken_tail_lamp.jpg

What a coincidence?, My car right lamp also got broken when biker hits my parked car.
When I asked him, the biker started blaming the pedestrian because of him he lost the control. I decided it's waste of time and energy to discuss anything more.

But I couldn't see the car in this condition and wanted to fix it immi.
So I checked with PalaceCross, Blr they mentioned 4k plus, I checked with newly opened showroom in Salem, TN (Ramani Cars). They mentioned of the stock and it costs 3.5k, Since I was near to this place I thought of getting it fixed here. I went there on Monday and they fixed in 30 mins.

The bill amount was Rs 3,590 (Including bulb & labour).

I thought it's gift for crossing 40k in odo

But I'm not sure you can get the glass alone aftermarket?

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 18th November 2012 at 12:40.
Old 18th November 2012, 13:32   #5387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post

The bill amount was Rs 3,590 (Including bulb & labour).

I thought it's gift for crossing 40k in odo

But I'm not sure you can get the glass alone aftermarket?
Yup, that's around the quoted price @mikon got from the workshop. I'm not sure if these parts can be sourced outside, but I'll give it a try. Anyway, the gift of new tires was more than enough for me , so I'll keep this on hold for a week or so!
Old 18th November 2012, 16:47   #5388
BHPian

Had the same problem 3 months ago, when a biker(again) managed to chip off the glass. Went around with a tape stuck on for a couple of days..But it kinda broke my heart to see tape sticking out like that. Went in for a replacement and IIRC( dont have the bill offhand) , it cost me somewhere around 3800 odd!
The SA told me something about the left side assembly being cheaper than the right side assembly and that the right side assembly has some defogger or heater or something built into it, which makes it more expensive. I am unable to recollect what he told me, but it was something like what I mentioned above.
Old 18th November 2012, 21:13   #5389
Senior - BHPian

Just for reference I had the right side rear lamp changed in my Alto for Rs. 145 (including installation) few years back!! this was done from outside (non MASS).

The joys of owning a <Maruti>
Old 18th November 2012, 22:08   #5390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
I had been to Volkswagen Downtown on Saturday. Never seen the place so empty. Service was closed as the bay was getting renovated. The adviser informed me that it will restart in about a week.

I am getting the car on a company lease and there are some conditions which many dealers don't agree to. Volkswagen Downtown is okay to these conditions. So I am currently going through with my deal with them. Anyways, thanks for the caution.

Actually, Apple Auto (or Volkswagen Whitefield) is my closest dealer. I am eagerly waiting for them to open their service center.

I have been waiting for them to open their servicing center too. They are open & are receiving bookings for servicing. I had called them up 2 days back. You can try calling them up or visiting if it's near by. I stay in same area. Downtown seems to be in a mess.
anand_hc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 19:37   #5391
Senior - BHPian

Got the first ugly scratch on my Blue today.

A lady parks her scooter next to my car. She seems to have gifted me few scratches (some about six-seven inches long) on left side So much for safe society parking.

Here is a pic:
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20121119_110606.jpg

The car was given 3M treatment only 3 days back! Heres a pic in her full glory (from just three days back):
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20121116_141229.jpg

Can anything be done to restore this? I think it is not deep enough to demand repainting. Soliciting experts opinions.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 20:35   #5392
BHPian

try contacting Ultimate detailers, may be compounding reduces the marks. though if you can see the white layer below the paint (too deep) painting is the only way out.
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 22:41   #5393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
try contacting Ultimate detailers, may be compounding reduces the marks. though if you can see the white layer below the paint (too deep) painting is the only way out.
+1. Time to head back to 3M to see if the rubbing compound and the polishing helps.

If the scratch is deep and got in to the primer coat, then painting is the only way out.

But do give it a try before getting the bumper painted.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 23:59   #5394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Got the first ugly scratch on my Blue today.

Can anything be done to restore this? I think it is not deep enough to demand repainting. Soliciting experts opinions.
Try using Meguiars Ultimate Compound, it shall definitely lower the damage. Should be available with UD. They would help you out with application & reducing it. Repainting at VW is too costly for such regular occurrences. Maybe outside workshop help you out, if repainting is the option you did want to go with. My advice try Ultimate Compound and it would even be handy if later that lady puts another ding.

OT, did you came to know who the lady was & why she did it? I can only imagine what she would have done if she had a 4 wheeler.
Old 20th November 2012, 22:32   #5395
BHPian

Dear ventopians

Went to palace cross for rear parcel rattle check .. Again. It's kind of fixed as of now. But that is secondary.

Primary news: I was hanging around the car at the service bay and saw some internal mail being displayed at the notice board. The mail was from VW internal training and R&D department to all service heads. It stated;

"As of 15 NOV 2012, VW has released a update for ECU for customers complaining about
- cold start knocking
- cold start misfire noise"

As the mail was too recent, I just wanted to try this update. After convincing the SA to update it for me ( he was reluctant earlier as he said it needs an appointment) I finally got it

The steps are as follows
1. SA will take your VIN and then check real time online for applicable updates.
2. The system will promptly provide ECU update required prompt.
3. It will give 3 options, basically 3 combinations of old and new sw versions. Your car's ecu will match atleast 1 of the old sw versions. The SA will note the corresponding new version number
4. SA will connect the VAG to your cars OBD, then will do a standard test. Post that, he will specifically select the sw version for ecu to update ( which was discovered in step 3)
5. The VAG will also have Internet connection and hence will download the sw real time from Internet!
6. For all the above process, the car has its ignition on ( without the engine being started)
7. The update will clear all historical ecu counters, so it's like complete ecu reset with new map.
Please note, you will not loose any settings and also will not loose any function like speed lock etc. summary: old sw ver: 9225 new version : 9811

Just about when I thought its over and was happy, the SA tool out his magic diary any looked for another code. I asked if Every thing was ok? He said, we would also update the injector settings ( "for reduced knocking of the Diesel engine... tak tak tak sound") I was more than glad to do it.

This time it was more animated update
1. The OBD connection was made
2. The sw number was selected
3. Alas the system threw an error! "Fuel too less- need at least 10 litres" I was shocked! What has diesel got to do with sw update. (Read on and you will know) any ways I rushed with the SA to nearest pump, filled up and returned. It was like a F1 pit stop
4. Reconnected OBD, selected sw, The system instructed the gear to be put on neutral,Depress brakes and start the engine. once started the system instructed to press accelerator fully ( please note in neutral the vento ecu restricts rpm throttling to 2600 rpm) moment this max rpm was reached, the system took over! The SA CAME OUT OF THE CAR. What followed was scary, the VAG was now in control of the car, it was like "ghost in the machine" movie. The VAG was instructing the car to accelerate - decelerate- accelerate ( between idle and 2k and then back to idle)
All this while the VAG screen said" calibrating valves - 40 remaining, 39 remaining and so on) - I didn't know there are 40 valves in a 4 cylinder Diesel engine? 40 injectors? Or 4 injectors - 10 valves each?

All this while it showed the pressure for each injector in Hg.

Once all valves were calibrated- it starred the minimum torque test ( torque at idle). All this while the car was accelerating - decelerating-accelerating ( between idle and 2k and then back to idle) - now you know why diesel was needed for this update

Ok - the screen said the minimum torque at idle is 15nm, recommended is 30nm. My results - 29.7 nm

So all was done! The engine stopped cycling and good all was over.

Tried the cold start today - was much less clattering. Will check again tommorow.

Thanks for reading
newtonMeter is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 13:06   #5396
gemi_kk

Could someone please provide me with the following information?

Does Vento has a Dual mass fly wheel? Does the service centres advice to change all the stuff when changing clutch?
Has anyone got their clutch replaced? what was the cost involved?

Thanks in advance.

Old 21st November 2012, 13:20   #5397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Could someone please provide me with the following information?

Does Vento has a Dual mass fly wheel? Does the service centres advice to change all the stuff when changing clutch?
Has anyone got their clutch replaced? what was the cost involved?

Thanks in advance.
The Vento has a single madd flywheel. We only recommend replacement of the flywheel if there is excess play and/or if any wear marks are found on it. Under normal circumstances, only the clutch disc, pressure plate and release bearing requires replacement.

Not sure about the cost factor as we have not replaced a Vento's clutch assy to date. Will check & revert back.
coloneljasi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:07   #5398
BHPian

I'm really sorry if these questions have been answered before,but could Vento owners clarify the following??
1.Read an article on this forum where it is recommended to change the engine oil after the first 1000kms.Is it recommended for the Vento??AFAIK the first service is at 15k kms only.
2.Earlier batch of Ventos needed to get certain features enabled by the dealer through VAGCOM.Is it still the case??If so,could you please post the list again??

Thanks!!

PS:Paying booking amount tomorrow!!
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:38   #5399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
I'm really sorry if these questions have been answered before,but could Vento owners clarify the following??
1.Read an article on this forum where it is recommended to change the engine oil after the first 1000kms.Is it recommended for the Vento??AFAIK the first service is at 15k kms only.
2.Earlier batch of Ventos needed to get certain features enabled by the dealer through VAGCOM.Is it still the case??If so,could you please post the list again??

Thanks!!

PS:Paying booking amount tomorrow!!
1. Engine oil change is at first service only (15000 KM). Though you might need to top up engine oil between 5k-6k once (maximum around 600 ML) as the engine opens up, it consume some engine oil. But oil change is still only at 15k.
2. No, most of the features come preconfigured. Even if they are missed, it would take max 30 min to do the same.
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:42   #5400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
2. No, most of the features come preconfigured. Even if they are missed, it would take max 30 min to do the same.
Did your car come pre-configured with these features??Does your car make a noise when locked/unlocked??

Last edited by KINI : 22nd November 2012 at 13:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks