Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2013, 22:08   #6721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
There is none that I have seen
Silly omission if you ask me
There is one for sure and it would light up once/if the engine overheats. In all cars without a temperature guage, there is an overheat indicator.

Dont think VW would be that silly to miss something so important.
Old 27th November 2013, 22:23   #6722
BHPian

There is a symbol for the same. It comes up during the initial system check when you keep the key on ACC

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image1205247338.jpg
Old 29th November 2013, 13:12   #6723
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I find the door armrest on the driver side a bit rough. On long drives, resting the elbow on the armrest makes it ache largely due to the hard materials used. The surface has a sort of an anti-slip friction-inducing texture which makes it even worse. The centre armrest on the other hand is nice and cushy!

Anyone know of an easy DIY (without sacrificing too much on the aesthetics) for this issue?
Old 29th November 2013, 15:35   #6724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Anyone know of an easy DIY (without sacrificing too much on the aesthetics) for this issue?
I'm not sure if any DIY can be done, but you could have it leather wrapped by removing the thin fabric over it. Its costed Rs 5000 for steering wheel and all door pads from Karlsson. Would be lesser if only door arm rest are done.

Have a look at the below pics.
Pic 1
Pic 2

Source:
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:25   #6725
BHPian

This morning at the VW service station a guy was complaining about how the autobox got frozen the 3rd time. Felt really sorry for him having bought a autobox for ease of use and stuck with problems. Is this a popular issue with VAG automatic cars?
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:35   #6726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
This morning at the VW service station a guy was complaining about how the autobox got frozen the 3rd time. Felt really sorry for him having bought a autobox for ease of use and stuck with problems. Is this a popular issue with VAG automatic cars?
What do you mean by "autobox got frozen"? Can you provide some details?

VAG uses two types of automatic gearboxes: a 6-speed torque convertor on the first generation Vento mated to the 1.6 NA petrol engine, and a 7-speed DSG box mated to the new 1.2 TSI. The former is on the whole reliable- I use the term loosely since these cars have been around for just over 3 years (my own has covered 45,000 km with no gearbox issues, and another friend's has covered 60,000 km likewise). There are several other members on the forum with Vento ATs and I don't recall any of them reporting any such problem. One of my Bangalore friends had reported a problem with his slushbox after having to slow down suddenly from 120 kmph but a simple ECU reset solved the problem (which incidentally was not replicable in the workshop).

The newer Vento AT sports a 7-speed DSG that has so far not reported any problems that I am aware of, but frankly it's too early to call. But the same box has been notorious for its "mechatronics" ghosts that haunts a lot of 1.8 TSI Superbs, several of them on the forums as well. Recently VW announced that switching the engine oil from synthetic to mineral solves the nagging problems with this box, but we need to wait and see.
Old 2nd December 2013, 19:00   #6727
BHPian

New Vento seems to be fitted with hill hold assist and Esp as standard feature. Does anyone know if we can get this done on existing vento models? Mine is 2010 TDI
Old 2nd December 2013, 20:10   #6728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesh View Post
New Vento seems to be fitted with hill hold assist and Esp as standard feature. Does anyone know if we can get this done on existing vento models? Mine is 2010 TDI
This feature is exclusive to Vento TSI. Hill hold makes sense with Auto box. I am sure it could be retrofitted to 1.6 MPI Auto box.

ESP - yes its a module which can be retrofitted. vagtune.in does it for many VAG cars. We can check if VW official can help us source the module
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 20:53   #6729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
This feature is exclusive to Vento TSI. Hill hold makes sense with Auto box. I am sure it could be retrofitted to 1.6 MPI Auto box.
Not sure you need a hill-hold for the old Vento AT. The driving characteristic is such that if you take your foot off the brake it displays a torque creep even without accelerator input. I have experimented with this on a parking ramp with a significant gradient and the car stays stationary because the forward push of the torque creep balances the backward motion due to gravity. it's not hill-hold as defined by car manufacturers by a long shot but from a practical standpoint, keeping your Vento AT from backing into the car behind is pretty much a given, unless you tend to shift to neutral at every opportunity.

Unrelated question to all Vento owners: my car is coming up on 3 years/45,000 km and it looks as if my battery needs replacement. Anyone who's replaced a battery already? What did you choose? Am edging towards Amaron as of now but a friend says that Tata Green is a good option.
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:46   #6730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Not sure you need a hill-hold for the old Vento AT. The driving characteristic is such that if you take your foot off the brake it displays a torque creep even without accelerator input. I have experimented with this on a parking ramp with a significant gradient and the car stays stationary because the forward push of the torque creep balances the backward motion due to gravity. it's not hill-hold as defined by car manufacturers by a long shot but from a practical standpoint, keeping your Vento AT from backing into the car behind is pretty much a given, unless you tend to shift to neutral at every opportunity. Unrelated question to all Vento owners: my car is coming up on 3 years/45,000 km and it looks as if my battery needs replacement. Anyone who's replaced a battery already? What did you choose? Am edging towards Amaron as of now but a friend says that Tata Green is a good option.
Mine is TDI and manual gear shift and i definitely felt the need of hill hold on steep gradients. My ODO is 61000 now but battery seems to be still ok as there isn't any issues yet. How do we know if battery has an issue?
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:56   #6731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unrelated question to all Vento owners: my car is coming up on 3 years/45,000 km and it looks as if my battery needs replacement. Anyone who's replaced a battery already? What did you choose? Am edging towards Amaron as of now but a friend says that Tata Green is a good option.
Interesting. Never felt any issues with the current battery. I don't remember Mikon having any issues during his 60k kms either. Why do you feel your car needs a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesh View Post
Mine is TDI and manual gear shift and i definitely felt the need of hill hold on steep gradients. My ODO is 61000 now but battery seems to be still ok as there isn't any issues yet. How do we know if battery has an issue?
Would agree with Anoop, never felt the need for a hill-hold, even on extremely inclined/steep gradients. I trust this need to be more of a user's requirement and not necessarily a must-have feature for this car. But then individual opinions can differ of course. But I guess it is a good feature to have in the newer TSI versions.
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:38   #6732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IIRC bhpian Souravc replaced battery in his Vento TDi. Mostly battery last for about 3 yrs with daily running of 50+ kms. Mostly preferred battery is Amaron without a doubt. In TDi battery is of 60A, not aware of what is the rating for 1.6 MPi AT.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 10:46   #6733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
IIRC bhpian Souravc replaced battery in his Vento TDi. Mostly battery last for about 3 yrs with daily running of 50+ kms. Mostly preferred battery is Amaron without a doubt. In TDi battery is of 60A, not aware of what is the rating for 1.6 MPi AT.
Same rating. The Amaron 65A battery did not fit in the bracket so I replaced it with Exide Max DIN60 (MRP 7590/-, nett 6000/-) which was identical in size and shape with the OE battery. VW folks quoted 7500+ for battery change but I did it outside.

The auto up/down feature was malfunctioning after the battery change (it had switched to "basic" mode when battery was low) so I needed to get it reset at the service centre, at a nominal charge. Also changed my key fob remote battery at the same time.

I guess it makes sense for every Vento owner to check the battery condition and keyfob remote at the 3rd servicing.
Old 4th December 2013, 13:43   #6734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The auto up/down feature was malfunctioning after the battery change (it had switched to "basic" mode when battery was low) so I needed to get it reset at the service centre, at a nominal charge. Also changed my key fob remote battery at the same time.
Didnt the auto up down feature got enabled after doing steps from the owners manual, it tells to roll up individual window one by one and then keep holding the button for a few seconds to enable the feature ( one by one for all windows from driver side).

I had the same issue with disconnection of battery and was able to get it working from home, for the key fob battery, 3 years life seems quite right.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 4th December 2013 at 13:45.
coolboy007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 14:56   #6735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Didnt the auto up down feature got enabled after doing steps from the owners manual, it tells to roll up individual window one by one and then keep holding the button for a few seconds to enable the feature ( one by one for all windows from driver side).
That's correct. I should have read the manual and saved myself a trip to the shop!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks