Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2014, 17:23   #6841
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakchow View Post
I own a TDI HL and just releasing the clutch is more than enough to get moving even on an incline.
In fact the same is enough even in second gear from a standstill.

The MPI is a different ballgame.
Infact for TDI, I face the rubberband effect i.e. as soon as I let go of the Clutch, the car is ready to shoot forward. Becomes a bit difficult during bumper to bumper traffic especially with the long play of clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
On a cold Tdi engine, the problem is also present I think. Getting out of my basement garage, sometimes I go back down and need to have some momentum roll on. A petrol will rev easily and the right rev will do the work.
Have faced no such problem on TDI. As for the cold engine, I try running the engine for a minute to let is get warm. Since the car is not equipped with Heat Gauge, I monitor the temperature via the OBD Scanner to make sure the engine is warmed a bit before I move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Simply put TDi makes more torque at low end which helps it in pulling easily over a steep climb. Let me put facts.

1.6 TDi torque : 250 Nm @ 1500-2500 rpm
1.6 MPi torque : 153 Nm @ 3800 rpm

A slight tap on accelerator of TDi would have rpm at 1500+ and 250 Nm torque would pull up weight easily. Now MPi unit with 153 Nm @ 3800 rpm would require a lot more rev to make it up steep climb. Any day TDi would be more easier to drive in & around city and on highway would be more fun than MPi.
Thanks. This sounds to me the most suitable explanation.
OT: How often do we make it to 3800RPM. I barely go beyond 2500RPM mark, let alone crossing 3500
Old 28th January 2014, 22:22   #6842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
As for the cold engine, I try running the engine for a minute to let is get warm. Since the car is not equipped with Heat Gauge, I monitor the temperature via the OBD Scanner to make sure the engine is warmed a bit before I move on.
Can you share with us the time/distance vs the temperature plot, if at all you have some random/daily readings. Would benefit those who don't have the scanner.
Old 29th January 2014, 07:44   #6843
Distinguished - BHPian

@ninjatalli- In my case some electricals started failing e.g. power windows not rolling up. And starts were troublesome which has never happened in this car. Took it to VW and they confirmed battery needed a change. Had it replaced outside with a 55V Exide battery for approx 6k.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 09:58   #6844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Fellow Ventonians,
Based on what parameters/indications did you go for the battery change? Getting a "feeling" that my battery could be up for change - only indication is a long(er) start required in the morning. But don't get this during the day, so could be just the cold mornings.
Noopster has very much explained scenarios which happens when battery starts becoming weak. I would only like to add to it, get an Amaron battery. Exide isn't any good and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
Old 29th January 2014, 16:54   #6845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@ninjatalli- In my case some electricals started failing e.g. power windows not rolling up. And starts were troublesome which has never happened in this car. Took it to VW and they confirmed battery needed a change. Had it replaced outside with a 55V Exide battery for approx 6k.
Wouldn't it reset the ECU and other settings? Did you go back to the workshop get all those settings fixed?
Old 29th January 2014, 18:57   #6846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Can you share with us the time/distance vs the temperature plot, if at all you have some random/daily readings. Would benefit those who don't have the scanner.
I will try plotting the Time v/s Temp graph tomorrow morning but not sure if this will help much.
The car can trouble X kms of Distance in Y mins of time while reaching an optimum temp.
Usually it takes 4-5kms on a plain run in a time span of around 10-15 mins to reach it.
achopraa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 22:18   #6847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Noopster has very much explained scenarios which happens when battery starts becoming weak. I would only like to add to it, get an Amaron battery. Exide isn't any good and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
Even I think my car's battery has started giving signals of going week. First time when I start the car, it takes some extra time to start and the starting noise is different. Rest everything is working fine. Any ideas how much does the service center charge to change it and for how much we can get an Amaron outside. Any specifications for the battery will be helpful too.
Old 30th January 2014, 00:19   #6848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Even I think my car's battery has started giving signals of going week. First time when I start the car, it takes some extra time to start and the starting noise is different. Rest everything is working fine.
I think maybe its due to cold weather in Gurgaon. Normally in colder conditions it takes more time for engine to crank up. Also the sound would be different as there would be more typical harsher tractor like noise from 1.6 TDi. I would suggest you to wait a bit longer till car shows sign of weak battery as put forth by Noopster such as electricals started failing e.g. power windows not rolling up.

My other car Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi these days takes a lot more time(5 sec more) to start in colder Mumbai weather and sometimes do feel it may just be about to give away. Still running strong. I belive Gurgaon would be even more chilly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Any ideas how much does the service center charge to change it and for how much we can get an Amaron outside. Any specifications for the battery will be helpful too.
Vento 1.6 TDi battery has a capacity of 60 Ah whereas for 1.6 MPi its 45 Ah. So battery would costlier for 1.6 TDi in comparison to petrol counterpart. You can have a look at the following BatteryBhai.com website. Its has all the battery info with prices including discount and also on return of older battery.

Batterybhai.com

Also there are 3 Amaron stores in Gurgaon which would give you info as well.

Amaron Pit Stop Locator

No idea about, whether service center are equipped with spare battery for sale to customers.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 08:32   #6849
BHPian

Hi, I had put this earlier on the Jetta thread but seems nobody has faced a similar issue there. Hence putting it again in the Polo and Vento thread. Hope thats ok with the moderators.
Does anybody here have the Nippon NAL NAV9180 HU installed. The HU is the same that used to come with the Vento IPL edition.
I'm having some problem using the BT on the unit. I earlier had a blabkberry and was working absolutely fine. However, I just bought an iphone, and there seems to be some compatibility issue here. It connects alright, but whenever I receive a call, it just keeps playing the ring tone - even after the call has been disconnected. The only way to stop that is to either switch of the HU or disconnect the BT connection
Has anybody else faced a similar problem
Old 31st January 2014, 09:17   #6850
BHPian

@Gurgaonites, has anyone tried VW Dhingra's service center? Is it better than Frontier or should i just stick to Frontier? My TDI's second service is due and I still haven't decided between the two. Though there is nothing great about Frontier - my last visit to them (about an year ago) was just ok.

Any references at Dhingra/Frontier would also help. My major concerns this time are 'tak-tak' noise in steering and i think the fuel pump has suddenly started humming a bit in the mornings.
Old 31st January 2014, 20:20   #6851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsoboy View Post
Does anybody here have the Nippon NAL NAV9180 HU installed. The HU is the same that used to come with the Vento IPL edition.
I'm having some problem using the BT on the unit. I earlier had a blabkberry and was working absolutely fine. However, I just bought an iphone, and there seems to be some compatibility issue here. It connects alright, but whenever I receive a call, it just keeps playing the ring tone - even after the call has been disconnected. The only way to stop that is to either switch of the HU or disconnect the BT connection
As you have mentioned that Blackberry was working fine, I believe it may be software issue with iPhone. Since new iPhone comes with iOS 7 because of which Nippon NAL NAV9180 maybe having compatibility issue. Its definitely be a software issue rather than hardware.

Try searching if you could find a firmware/software upgrade for Nippon NAL NAV9180 for supporting newer operating system.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 31st January 2014 at 20:26.
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:12   #6852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikas Arora View Post
@Gurgaonites, has anyone tried VW Dhingra's service center? Is it better than Frontier or should i just stick to Frontier? My TDI's second service is due and I still haven't decided between the two. Though there is nothing great about Frontier - my last visit to them (about an year ago) was just ok.

Any references at Dhingra/Frontier would also help. My major concerns this time are 'tak-tak' noise in steering and i think the fuel pump has suddenly started humming a bit in the mornings.
Finally I went to VW Frontier for the second service. Total amount was about Rs 11700/- (bills attached) and out of this roughly Rs 1400/- was for alignment/balancing/rotation. I was forced to get this done at the dealer since the regular tyre shop that i visit was unable to adjust the camber. Anyhow this amount is on the higher side but this time it was well spent. Alignment/balancing seems to be perfect this time.

I had complained about excessive vibrations and some tak-tak noise from the steering. SA informed me that they carried out a thorough check and discovered that engine/gear-box mounts were worn out - these were replaced under warranty. I think replacement of mounts has made a huge difference in the drive and my Vento was never as smooth as it is now. There is a huge difference in the overall noise inside the cabin.

I also happened to go through the internal file where all the diagnostic reports are stored and the VAS reports were all clean i:e without any errors. No SW update was required. Though it seems that the battery would run for few months only, VAS report showed that the battery is almost at the end of its life (barely in the healthy zone).

Overall experience was much better than the last 2 visits and these guys have improved a lot. Secondly, agency must have worked hard to retain the employees - i could see a lot of familiar faces (mechanics/supervisors/SAs) as compared to last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-servicebill.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-mounts.jpg  

Last edited by Vikas Arora : 3rd February 2014 at 10:27. Reason: Masked personal details in the scanned bill
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:47   #6853
BHPian

[quote=Vikas Arora;3360580]SA informed me that they carried out a thorough check and discovered that engine/gear-box mounts were worn out - these were replaced under warranty.

Engine/ gear box mounts worn out ??? How many kms your car has run??. These things are not supposed to wear out so fast even if they were replaced under warranty. What about the famed german quality and engineering.

My Baleno's mounts are still going strong at 8 yrs/1.2 lac kms.
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:00   #6854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post

Engine/ gear box mounts worn out ??? How many kms your car has run??. These things are not supposed to wear out so fast even if they were replaced under warranty. What about the famed german quality and engineering.

My Baleno's mounts are still going strong at 8 yrs/1.2 lac kms.
Well I also asked the same question from SA. I think VW already knew about the problems with mounts and they chose not to change those on Ventos manufactured from 2012 (mine is may 2012 manufactured). However, they did replace mounts voluntarily on the older models.

Anyways I am happy that they took my complaint seriously and replaced the mounts. But a bigger question still remains - for how long would the current ones continue before giving up.
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:15   #6855
BHPian

It would be interesting to know as to who are the vendors for the VAG group for rubber/other parts. Most of the parts to Jap/Korean car makers in India are supplied by Indian vendors. If they can produce high quality stuff (read relaible/long life/maintenance free) for Jap car makers, then what prevents VAG group from getting the same quality from them.

just my 2 cents

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks