Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2014, 21:51   #6811
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

VW has finally released Service Advisory for "SQUEAKING WINDOWS!" I was browsing the VW erwin site and found this advisory. VW issues instruction to apply an "anti friction" film to the 4 windows to get rid of the noise.

Lets see how many workshops are equipped to do this.

See attachment for visuals
VVV.pdf
newtonMeter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 22:57   #6812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
VW issues instruction to apply an "anti friction" film to the 4 windows to get rid of the noise.

Lets see how many workshops are equipped to do this.
Good find.

But I would rather live with the squeak than letting those at the service center get near the paint or rubber with a sharp cutter!
thoma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 15:42   #6813
BHPian

This happened to me yesterday. For those familiar with the area I was taking a left turn from the last lane to enter Vashi while coming from Palm Beach road. This biker wants to go straight from my left hand side in whatever space there was left. His foot rest or exhaust or something else gets stuck in my bumper and the whole thing came off.

I will let the pictures do the talking here on.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img20140118wa0023.jpgVolkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img20140118wa0024.jpgVolkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img20140118wa0025.jpgVolkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img20140118wa0026.jpgVolkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img20140118wa0027.jpg
I didnt realise how much damage had been done as i generally dont bother about minor scratches and plus didnt want to get into an altercation as i was with my pregnant wife. Nevertheless i realised what happened once i started driving. I have a friend who owns an automobile accessory shop close by and went to him just to check if something can be done. He had a guy who said he could fix the whole thing. I put him on the job and left for some chores. In the meantime i called up VW Navi Mumbai to check as to what could the potential repair cost be. There were damages to the front bumper, front grill with the VW logo and left hand side fog lamp. I was quoted close to 18-20k for the same; I let it be.

Post a couple of hours this is the sight that awaited me
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img20140118wa0044.jpgVolkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img20140118wa0045.jpgVolkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img20140118wa0046.jpg
Frankly i was dumbstruck as i didnt think he would be able to pull off this job. It cost me all of INR 1200 and the bumper is as good as new (well almost). The only thing pending is the left hand side Fog Lamp Bulb which my friend has promised to procure in a few days.

Frankly I have Zero Depreciation Insurance but even if i get a full claim i still have to pay INR 2000 just for initiating the claim; plus knowing VW they would have taken a couple of weeks to get it fixed.

Lesson learnt big time that getting things fixed at Authorised Service Centers is really not required unless something major. If i had to replace the bumper I would not really have a choice but to visit an Authorised Service Center but for such things one really need not. I had a major mental block when it came to letting anyone but the Authorised Service Center touch the vehicle. Somehow Indian Jugaad never fails!
miharbe is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 23:48   #6814
BHPian

So just got my June 2012 TDi HL back after brake bad and disc change, the damages were 8,000 - the SA said this is regular change at 30,000 KMs and since my car has already done 29,000 - it was fine.

Can anyone confirm what the SA said was true?
Old 20th January 2014, 00:34   #6815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
This happened to me yesterday. For those familiar with the area I was taking a left turn from the last lane to enter Vashi while coming from Palm Beach road.....
Excellent work done by Indian juggad mechanic. Its as good as new. Saves money and more importantly time & hassle. The fog lamp bulbs type is 9006 55W where as in Polo its H8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
So just got my June 2012 TDi HL back after brake bad and disc change, the damages were 8,000 - the SA said this is regular change at 30,000 KMs and since my car has already done 29,000 - it was fine.

Can anyone confirm what the SA said was true?
Brake pads change at 29K kms is fine but disc change is not required. According to manual its required at 60K only.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 07:22   #6816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

Brake pads change at 29K kms is fine but disc change is not required. According to manual its required at 60K only.
Thanks for the information! Well, the SA claimed that since the car was driven for a few hundred KMs with worn out pads the discs had cuts in them hence needed a change.

What other parts are due for change at 30k?
Old 20th January 2014, 08:08   #6817
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information! Well, the SA claimed that since the car was driven for a few hundred KMs with worn out pads the discs had cuts in them hence needed a change. What other parts are due for change at 30k?
True but you could have told him to do disc turning which would have given you additional 20k km easily
Old 20th January 2014, 12:44   #6818
BHPian

I can feel light vibrations/wobbling on the steering if I accelerate fast in all gears and also some times it pulls to left.

My car has done only 3200kms as of today and just 3.5 months old. Does it required to get the wheel balancing and alignment to be done to fix the wobbling issue?

When and at what interval does VW recommend to get the wheel alignment and balancing done for Vento ?
Old 20th January 2014, 12:51   #6819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I can feel light vibrations/wobbling on the steering if I accelerate fast in all gears and also some times it pulls to left. My car has done only 3200kms as of today and just 3.5 months old. Does it required to get the wheel balancing and alignment to be done to fix the wobbling issue? When and at what interval does VW recommend to get the wheel alignment and balancing done for Vento ?
Get the balancing and alignment done at a good outlet - preferably with hunter equipment. Vento is proned to misaligned issues if used on heavy potholes . Once in 5k is recommended. Go to madhus in Bangalore
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 13:14   #6820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaja45 View Post
My Vento Tdi HL, Dec 2011 model had a dream run till 42k km. Then problems started..

1. On a daily highway drive, there was sudden onset slippage of 2nd and 4th gears. Car was taken to the service center, SA took prolonged test drives, mechanics checked the internals- no problem was found in the gear system. But the second issue cropped up..
2. On removing the engine cover, they noticed minimal fuel leak from near the injectors.

After much deliberations, the leak was supposed to be due to some O ring going kaput(blamed on ?bad quality fuel), part wasn't in stock - asked to wait for 2 weeks. It was promised to be cleared under warranty.
For the gear slippage, some cables were adjusted and the problem declared fixed.
Took delivery of the car and drove for around 2 weeks. During those 2 weeks, had gear slippage issues twice. The ordered parts arrived, the car was taken in for the works to be carried out. The fuel leak was addressed,NOT UNDER WARRANTY, as no warranty on rubber parts. Again experts couldn't find any fault with the gear system. Couldn't press further as I was not able to reproduce the slippage issue before them.
Again took back the car, 1 week later the slippage of 2nd and 4th gears recurred. Reached home and was about to park the car when it got STUCK IN REVERSE GEAR.
Now the car has been towed to the service center and is awaiting diagnostics and repairs.

How to proceed further. please advise pals.
I too had the same problem of fuel leak due to faulty injector O rings last week. The car was in for a second service and had done 24,000 Kms only in two years. The part was not available and they (Phoenix Cars, Kozhikode) told me that these have to be ordered , quoting the VIN etc and that it will take about ten days. When I told them that I am not willing to use the car with leaking injectors, they promised to get the same part from their Trichur facility and after two days , the car is in now for the repair work. I am told that the O rings are rubber parts and are not covered under warranty and together with some glue the cost will come to Rs.3300/
Whether rubber or metal, such critical parts should not go kaput within such a short time, especially with the VW badge. Clearly, VW quality has gone down. I was a VW user for six years , while in the UK , having had a Polo and later a Passat in the late 80s. The legendary quality is no more there.
Is there any point in complaining to the customer service of VW about this, which is not done under warranty, being a rubber part?
Old 20th January 2014, 13:20   #6821
BHPian

Quote:
Get the balancing and alignment done at a good outlet - preferably with hunter equipment. Vento is proned to misaligned issues if used on heavy potholes . Once in 5k is recommended. Go to madhus in Bangalore

thanks newtonMeter. I will get the balancing and alignment done this weekend.
Old 20th January 2014, 15:08   #6822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its the same as you did in 1st service at 15,00 kms.

1. Engine oil 4.3 lt
2. Fuel filter
3. Pollen filter
4. Air filter
5. Oil filter
6. Oil pan plug

Other than that, if any thing is giving trouble that may be required to be fixed. The above are the basics requirement for 30,000 kms service.

Quote:
True but you could have told him to do disc turning which would have given you additional 20k km easily
Its same as skimming the disc, isn't it? VW would never skim the disc and would be more interested in replacing them as its their policy.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 20th January 2014 at 15:18.
Old 20th January 2014, 15:59   #6823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Its the same as you did in 1st service at 15,00 kms.

1. Engine oil 4.3 lt
2. Fuel filter
3. Pollen filter
4. Air filter
5. Oil filter
6. Oil pan plug

Other than that, if any thing is giving trouble that may be required to be fixed. The above are the basics requirement for 30,000 kms service.

Its same as skimming the disc, isn't it? VW would never skim the disc and would be more interested in replacing them as its their policy.
I inspected my pollen filter on my own yesterday - it looked pretty clean (given I live in Gurgaon's dusty environment ). I do keep the car always in non CIRCULATION mode (outside air not allowed in cabin). I think that has saved my pollen filter.

Any idea how much the pollen filter costs? BTW the build of the filter is absolutely brilliant - made in Deutschland by micronair. LINK Though the holder is made in India but the plastic quality is top notch (build by BEHR India) Link

Yes, Turning is same as skimming. You are right, VW workshop are reluctant, but you can force them to get it done, finally SA gave me a quote of Rs800 for 2 discs. He also told me that it will atleast last for 25-30K as VW disks are good quality. The only issue is the grit and grime which gets trapped between pad and the disc which cause those lines and hence groves and hence vibrations.
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 19:15   #6824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how much the pollen filter costs?
Going by the latest service bill its costs Rs 664 including every tax. Part number is 6R0820367.

Quote:
You are right, VW workshop are reluctant, but you can force them to get it done, finally SA gave me a quote of Rs800 for 2 discs. He also told me that it will atleast last for 25-30K as VW disks are good quality. The only issue is the grit and grime which gets trapped between pad and the disc which cause those lines and hence groves and hence vibrations.
That's a brilliant piece of info. I thought VW SA's to be very rigid when it came to parts replacement and getting work done from outside.
Old 20th January 2014, 19:28   #6825
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information! Well, the SA claimed that since the car was driven for a few hundred KMs with worn out pads the discs had cuts in them hence needed a change.

Well they didnt change mine during the second service even after me specifically telling me to check the brake pads. Apparently it is not a rule to get the pads changed at 30K Kms. They checked mine and it was not required so they said get it done later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks