Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2016, 15:44   #8311
Senior - BHPian

Happened to find a crack on the windshield today morning. There was no evidence of any impact whatsoever. It was not there when I parked the car last night.

Windshield experts claims this is because of air expansion due to heat in the cabin (?). Anybody has any clue? We haven't heard or experienced this before!

Anyway here are the quotes!
Windshield experts:
Cash: Rs 6900; Time: 2-3 hours
Insurance: Rs 2600; Time: 3-4 hours

Also went to VW for a second opinion and to check out the possibility of a manufacturing defect.
The surveyor will come from the glass company( Asahi)
Cash: Rs 12500; Time: 2 days
Insurance: Rs 5500; Time: 5 days

The big ( or small) difference is that VW will give a glass with the VW symbol. Dad is keen on that.
The biggest loss will be the 3M CR 70 sunfilms!!

Last edited by Turbohead : 26th March 2016 at 15:46.
Old 26th March 2016, 20:57   #8312
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Happened to find a crack on the windshield today morning.
Hi Turbo, sorry to hear about your loss. Did you not have a comprehensive insurance policy? How is the insurance amount derived in your case?
I don't think the cabin is airtight that heating would cause this or are you saying that the heat caused the glass to expand and crack?
Old 27th March 2016, 00:04   #8313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Happened to find a crack on the windshield today morning. There was no evidence of any impact whatsoever. It was not there when I parked the car last night.......
The biggest loss will be the 3M CR 70 sunfilms!!
Hi Turbo,
This was exactly the same case as happened with me 2 year ago. I was also more sad about loosing my CR70 sunfilm.

Anyway, Is you car still under warranty? spontaneous crack which are not originated due to some external damage will be covered under warranty but not covered under extended warranty. So make sure to check this and if your car is less than 2 year old try to get it changed under warranty.

In my case i went ahead with VW glass change because the difference in quote from Windshield expert and VW was not that much, I think Windshield expert quoted 9K and VW was quoting 10K. I ultimately got it changed in 10K from VW.

In your case difference is substantial so in this case i would definitely pick Windshield expert. Besides my experience with their body shop was not that good. Folks there got my roof, seat etc dirty and did not clean at all.

Also don't forget to take all the stickers out from the windshield before you give it to them. These guys also lost my stickers which i thought of pasting later on to new windshield. Couple of them i am still not able to source again :(

Last edited by karansm4u : 27th March 2016 at 00:06.
karansm4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 13:47   #8314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetzap View Post
what is the right way to overcome this pain? Are there others with the same issue? Any help would be appreciated.
I had the same pain and thought that this was a design issue. Its (probably) good to have the brake and accelerator at different heights but not by as much as it is in the Vento tsi. Here are a few things that worked for me.
1) I now rest my foot below the brake pedal and swivel my heel so that the toe can alternate between the accelerator and the brake.

2) Move the seat as far back as its convenient so that there is some support for the under thigh. If you plan to use seat covers then use some extra padding on the seat edge so that the under thigh support is significantly better, else use a cushion.

3)Cruise control is a great option. Do explore it and use it periodically to relieve stress on the right leg. On long drives / highway runs its a huge relief.
Old 27th March 2016, 14:41   #8315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Turbo, sorry to hear about your loss. Did you not have a comprehensive insurance policy? How is the insurance amount derived in your case?
I don't think the cabin is airtight that heating would cause this or are you saying that the heat caused the glass to expand and crack?
Yes, we have comprehensive insurance plus add on insurance or 'Elite' insurance as they call it. I don't know whether the costs mentioned are for the add on or Elite insurance. My bad! Didn't ask them.
And yes, the cabin is not airtight. It's not even watertight for that matter. I think they might have tried to pull a fast one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karansm4u View Post
Hi Turbo,
This was exactly the same case as happened with me 2 year ago. I was also more sad about loosing my CR70 sunfilm.
Anyway, Is you car still under warranty? spontaneous crack which are not originated due to some external damage will be covered under warranty but not covered under extended warranty. So make sure to check this and if your car is less than 2 year old try to get it changed under warranty.
Yes, the car is under warranty. It's only 1 year and 10 months old. We are trying for a warranty replacement. We sincerely hope that the surveyor wouldn't play any games.
Quote:
In my case i went ahead with VW glass change because the difference in quote from Windshield expert and VW was not that much, I think Windshield expert quoted 9K and VW was quoting 10K. I ultimately got it changed in 10K from VW.
Surprised that Windshield Experts has become cheaper over the years!
Quote:
In your case difference is substantial so in this case i would definitely pick Windshield expert. Besides my experience with their body shop was not that good. Folks there got my roof, seat etc dirty and did not clean at all.
Yes, Windshield Experts has all the necessary expertise to carry it out. Very professional too! If we decide to go ahead with them, it will be our 3rd visit in 4 years!!
Since the difference in insurance costs is not very high, dad may go with VW since you get the glass with their symbol. The final decision will be taken after the surveyor comes tomorrow.
Quote:
Also don't forget to take all the stickers out from the windshield before you give it to them. These guys also lost my stickers which i thought of pasting later on to new windshield. Couple of them i am still not able to source again :(
I'm sorry, but what stickers? RFID tag? We haven't activated it yet anyway.I understand that we can get another one on registering with Fast Tag. The other stickers should be given by VW, if we're going with them. For the last service, when they replaced the lock carrier, they also stuck new stickers, making it look like factory finish!!!
But do you think the CR 70 films are responsible for the crack? Those films absorb a lot of heat!!
Thanks a lot anyway!
Old 27th March 2016, 19:58   #8316
BHPian

Quote:
Can any 2,3 year old Vento users, confirm the average Maintenance charges during the initial 2,3 years of ownership?
My Vento is November 2012 model, 1.6 HL TDI. Done about 52K Kms. 60:40 split of city & highway driving.

No issues so far (touchwood) except 3 services, 15K, 30K and 45K - I have visited the service center exactly thrice for regular service and the only part replaced is the battery (which died after 3 years of use which is not unusual). Each service cost around Rs. 10K and I have spent Rs. 30K overall on maintenance since 2012 (touchwood, again!).

Congrats! Don't worry and enjoy your drive. Just make sure you choose your service center wisely.

Last edited by pc73 : 27th March 2016 at 20:04.
Old 28th March 2016, 07:29   #8317
BHPian

I am not as lucky as pc73. First service was 11k at ABRA motors Chennai. Second service at Kun's VW Madras that cost 16k including a replacement of lock carrier add it got broken when navigating a rough patch. However the service was not a good experience. They said the O-rings got damaged leading to oil leakage in the engine compartment. However when I told them car is under warranty they were a bit caught by surprise and said they will do their best without any charges. Car was returned without any replacement of O-ring. No oil leakage as well. However within a few days started getting the squeaking door noise for which I have to visit the service center at least two times. Later on a long trip found the check engine symbol coming up. So another visit to the service center. However they fixed it quickly. That time I made my mind that I should not go to Kun again. 3rd service again at ABRA. Diesel leakage spotted. SA said my brake shoes had worn out damaging the brake discs. Estimate was 30k. With my persistence on warranty and continuous pressure they arrested the diesel leakage changing the valve door assembly under warranty. I changed the brake shoes alone as the disc was good. Total cost 18k. However this includes 2.2k + labour for the RHS tail light assembly and suspension bush for around 1k. Effectively it would have been 14k. However again I have to visit ABRA as the leakage didn't stop. It became worse instead. This time I have to spend the whole day with the service guys in the workshop to ensure that the leakage indeed is arrested. It was painful. Even now I am not comfortable with the suspension job. I may have to go again to check. One thing I had learnt is we have to be really informed and have lot of patience to deal with the service. Also you should avoid doing any wheel alignment or balancing in their workshops.
Crank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 12:29   #8318
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at the user experience responses about the maintenance of Vento, I am starting to get a little worried, as I have just taken delivery of My Vento 2 weeks back. I have opted for 2 years extended warranty but I am not sure whether the kind of maintenance that the car requires, everything is going to be covered. Can any 2,3 year old Vento users, confirm the average Maintenance charges during the initial 2,3 years of ownership?
Hi meetzap, I have also taken delivery of my Vento TSI Highline on 16th March from B.U.Bhandari. I have a friends who's having first Vento TSI of Pune. Till now no major expenses. Just usual services and brake pads/disk change.

So, I will say don't worry too much as TSI is a worry free car just enjoy the drives.
ajnagpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 11:27   #8319
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile, VW has suspended Sale of Vento TDI on account of inconsistent emissions. They will also recall 3877 units.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/51643268.cms

Wonder whats going on here
Old 1st April 2016, 16:19   #8320

Was surprised to see my Vento clock 48.2km/l average over a 20km stretch. Downhill from yercaud to Salem.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_20160401_083839.jpg  

NamHuduga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 22:00   #8321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Meanwhile, VW has suspended Sale of Vento TDI on account of inconsistent emissions. They will also recall 3877 units.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/51643268.cms

Wonder whats going on here
Is there a similar recall for the Skoda rapid?
Old 2nd April 2016, 14:18   #8322

Re: My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 60,000 Kms update on Pg 12

Mod Note: Post deleted. Please do not post the same content in multiple threads.

Last edited by noopster : 2nd April 2016 at 20:19.
Old 4th April 2016, 14:56   #8323
BHPian

I have the latest 2016 Vento with touch screen infotainment system. While syncing contacts with my Sony Xperia Z2, I observed that only 410 contacts got synced and the remaining failed. I had over 1200 contacts in my phone book. Has anyone else faced similar issue with the new Vento's touch screen?

One more question. I tried using the mirror-link with Xperia for Maps and I could see the maps on the screen while the vehicle was still, but the moment the vehicle started moving the screen disappeared. I understand this could be a safety feature while playing videos on Touch screen, but for Application like Google Map this should not have happened, correct?
Also is the software on this touch screen Infotainment, upgradable, if yes then how?

Last edited by meetzap : 4th April 2016 at 14:57. Reason: corrected spellings
Old 6th April 2016, 11:26   #8324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I am not as lucky as pc73. First service was 11k at ABRA motors Chennai. Second service at Kun's VW Madras ....
Give a try at VW Mount Road, which is located on Whites road. I got all my services in the past 4 years done with them and though the experience is not that great to talk about, but it was definitely consistent. My regular service bills never crossed 10K, owing to the fact that i get my wheel maintenance done outside.
My car had been mostly trouble free for 4 years except for the fast wearing brake pads and discs. They were replaced thrice in the 4 years and 65K run, for which they blamed the driving style, which is not true since I largely avoid hard braking and use engine braking wherever possible to slow down.
Old 6th April 2016, 19:29   #8325
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday got my Vento TDi 5th service done at VW Navi Mumbai Autobahn Automotive. I must say, it was one of the best experience at VW Workshop. Service level have increased tremendously over past 5 years since 2011 I purchased car back then.

Note: Loads of pic and content. I hope you have fast internet connection.

To read more. Link.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks