Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2013, 09:12   #6661
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The feature-list mentioned looks very similar to the Highline model before the current facelift. Probably they wanted to sell off the remaining few pieces in that configuration, with a few add-ons like the trunk spoiler. The Bridge variant looks like a stock clearance effort, and hence probably not advertised.

IMO, you should go for the latest Highline instead of an old model.
I will decide based on date of manufacture. I have sold my old car and need the new car urgently. There is no commitment from any dealers in Karnataka or TN about when the next Black Highline will be available. Did not want to wait for that long. If the Bridge edition is July+ then no worries. Also I upgraded to Pioneer HU in Feb this year and have been used to driving without the steering mounted controls. Hence I don't find it a big difference.
Old 11th November 2013, 10:14   #6662
Senior - BHPian

The gear recommender on the Vento.

It's pretty accurate for the most part, however I do feel that sometimes it asks me to shift down even though riding in a higher gear works pretty well for the current scenario I am in, without any lugging.

Question for current Vento owners - how religiously should I stick to the gear recommender? What effects can driving in a higher gear have to the engine at lower RPM's? Mine's a diesel.
Old 11th November 2013, 11:57   #6663
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Volkswagen Vento 1.6 AT discontinued?

Link to News Section

Volkswagen India is said to have discontinued the 6 speed automatic gearbox equipped, 1.6 liter MPI petrol engined variant of the Vento sedan. The reason for the discontinuation of the Vento 1.6 AT has to do with the launch of the 7 speed DSG dual clutch automatic gearbox equipped Vento 1.2 TSI variant. As the Vento 1.2 TSI variant is an improvement over the Vento 1.6 AT across many respects, the decision to discontinue the Vento 1.6 AT isn't surprising.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-volkswagen-vento-sedan.jpg

The Vento 1.2 TSI engined sedan outputs 105 PS-175 Nm, a clear step up from the 105 PS-153 Nm output of the Vento 1.6 AT's engine. Also, the TSI motor is a turbo petrol engine that produces the major chunk of its torque at lower engine speeds, allowing for more efficient gear changes by the 7 speed DSG dual clutch gearbox. This makes for better fuel efficiency. Thirdly, the DSG dual clutch gearbox is a much faster shifting unit than the 6 speed torque converter unit, another brownie point in favour of the Vento 1.2 TSI.

However, the Vento sedan will continue to be sold with the naturally aspirated 1.6 liter MPI petrol engine mated to a 5 speed manual gearbox. Therefore, it could still be a while before Volkswagen discontinues its naturally aspirated petrol engines for turbo petrol power. This change, which will eventually happen across Volkswagen's car range, has already begun with the 1.2 liter TSI turbo petrol engine available for both the Polo and Vento, the German car maker's entry level car models.

The diesel variants of the car retain the 1.6 liter TDI turbo diesel motor that's paired to a 5 speed manual gearbox. The Vento's badge engineered sibling, the Skoda Rapid sedan, is yet to get the 1.2 liter TSI petrol engine-7 speed DSG automatic gearbox combination. Eventually, the Rapid is also likely to shift to turbo petrol power. Notably, in the next refresh (2014 or 2015) of the Vento and Rapid sedans, the 1.6 liter TDI turbo diesel engine is likely to be replaced by a more efficient, downsized 1.5 liter unit while the 1.6 liter MPI petrol motor could make way for the 1.2 TSI turbo petrol motor across the range.

Source Overdrive

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 11th November 2013 at 12:01. Reason: News Link Added
Old 11th November 2013, 12:11   #6664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
The gear recommender on the Vento.

It's pretty accurate for the most part, however I do feel that sometimes it asks me to shift down even though riding in a higher gear works pretty well for the current scenario I am in, without any lugging.

Question for current Vento owners - how religiously should I stick to the gear recommender? What effects can driving in a higher gear have to the engine at lower RPM's? Mine's a diesel.
Rosh,

I have the same gear shift indicator in my i20. All i can say is, Ignore it. I know it is there for a reason. But judging the gear shifts depending on the speed and road and traffic ahead is the best thing.

The lesser we rely on indicators the better. I know they are pretty accurate and following them to the T could result is better mileage and MAY BE better engine / GB life, I don't know. But I find it very difficult to follow the indicator all the time. Or may be its just me who has a problem with it

Regards,
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 12:19   #6665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Rosh,

I have the same gear shift indicator in my i20. All i can say is, Ignore it. I know it is there for a reason. But judging the gear shifts depending on the speed and road and traffic ahead is the best thing.

The lesser we rely on indicators the better. I know they are pretty accurate and following them to the T could result is better mileage and MAY BE better engine / GB life, I don't know. But I find it very difficult to follow the indicator all the time. Or may be its just me who has a problem with it

Regards,
Thanks for the quick tip.

I've got the gear shift recommender on the i20 too, but I mostly upshift/downshift when I feel it's right to. The i20 petrol engine is somewhat a laggard and you need to connect with the engine and the transmission for gear changes. Fortunately, I've got that part sorted out and almost always ignore the recommended gear changes by the ECU. Never bothered to look at the MID except to check on the fuel status

But for the Vento, being my first diesel, I am not aware of the implications it might cause if I run it in a gear higher/lower than recommended. Hence the question. But I guess, the same logic applies. I don't care about the mileage - the Vento is consistently making me smile in that department, no matter how I drive

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 11th November 2013 at 12:20.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 12:45   #6666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What effects can driving in a higher gear have to the engine at lower RPM's? Mine's a diesel.
In my opinion, I feel advantage in running the engine at a bit higher RPM than in a lower RPM, as we cannot always exactly sense if lugging / knock is or not occurring unless it occurs.

Quote:
But for the Vento, being my first diesel, I am not aware of the implications it might cause if I run it in a gear higher/lower than recommended. Hence the question.
Here is my short experience and replies on the gear recommender. In the heavy traffic of Kerala, lesser the eyes off the road, more better it is.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 13:50   #6667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASVA View Post
After contemplating for a long time whether to change the head lamps to better bulbs wit stock wattage or to upgrade with relays to 100/90, I decided to play it safe and replaced the stock Osram with Philips xterme vision 60/55. Chose Philips Xtreme vision after researching on team bhp. There is a marked improvement in the brightness. The yellow tinge is far lesser. The throw of light is longer and broader. I am very happy with the bulbs. Paid 950 for a pair. Is this the right price?
Thanks to the posts of @ el lobo. Your detailed posts encouraged me to go the DIY way. Though I did manage to damage the connector of the LHS unit's parking bulb.

On another note, after almost 2 years of owning the Vento, I realised today that I haven't been given all the tools in the foam box with the stepney. When I opened the boot to get the Torix to open the head lamp assembly, I realised it wasn't there. I feel cheated. Why VW, why?

Are these tools available at VW service centres for us to purchase?

Regards
ASVA
Can someone tell me where I can get these Philips bulbs in Chennai ? The OE bulbs are like candles and the throw is very bad.
Old 11th November 2013, 14:57   #6668
Senior - BHPian

My Vento's one side headlamp is Philips make and the other side is Osram! Is that how it comes for others? And the spares are Halonix H4s. How good are the Halonix?

Can the headlamps be adjusted for sideways spread? The throw feels a lot pointed to the center.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-tbhp3.jpg

Last edited by thoma : 11th November 2013 at 14:58.
Old 11th November 2013, 21:43   #6669
BHPian

Hi Guys, One of my Vento's A/C grille air flow controller is broken. It looks like a forceps which fit into center of the ac grille. Any of you guys replaced this knob ? Any idea how much it would cost from VW? Please see the attached pic. Thanks, Prabhu

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image751859457.jpg

Last edited by Prabhu : 11th November 2013 at 21:44.
Old 12th November 2013, 07:03   #6670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu View Post
Hi Guys, One of my Vento's A/C grille air flow controller is broken. It looks like a forceps which fit into center of the ac grille. Any of you guys replaced this knob ? Any idea how much it would cost from VW? Please see the attached pic. Thanks, Prabhu
Common quality issue in the Vento. They usually refuse to change it under warranty. I insisted they change the vents and since my entire HVAC had to be changed under warranty they reluctantly agreed. They also usually have a spare parts problem and keep customers waiting for these. Good luck.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 05:44   #6671
BHPian

I feel gear vibrations but its kind of very specific. It happens only in the 4th gear when i take the foot off the accelerator and when the speed is dropping from till 60 once it drops below 60~55 the vibration goes away. But if its dropping from 70 to a 60 (or 55) in 4 with my foot off the accelerator and in 4th gear I can feel the vibration with my hand on the gear. Any ideas ?
Old 15th November 2013, 09:51   #6672
BHPian

While most of the components in Vento are of good quality some are bit cheap, like the power window controls, mirror adjust controls and ac vents. They can do much better to improve these to be of better quality as well.
Old 15th November 2013, 11:33   #6673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu View Post
1200 approx (including labor charges). If your car is still in the first year, they'll do it for free. Do note out here in the forum, people have got their vents replaced for free after the first year too.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 13:25   #6674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I feel gear vibrations but its kind of very specific. It happens only in the 4th gear when i take the foot off the accelerator and when the speed is dropping from till 60 once it drops below 60~55 the vibration goes away. But if its dropping from 70 to a 60 (or 55) in 4 with my foot off the accelerator and in 4th gear I can feel the vibration with my hand on the gear. Any ideas ?
I too have had similar kind of vibrations felt in my car. It turned out to be uneven wear and tear in breakpads. Do check it out!
Old 15th November 2013, 20:11   #6675
BHPian

A Query requiring urgent reply ! Please help me out fellow Vento owners :(

Can anyone confirm that the coolant system has had modifications done to it due to faultiness in this year ? My car had started spouting white smoke nearing the 5k mark . Later i came to know the coolant level was , basically *none* . The guys from VW Hubli took it in to check out the problem and to do the 5k check-up .

Now it's been over 2 and a half weeks , and they still have her - They claim that they need to change the coolant system , and as the current models have a modified version of it , acquiring it has been difficult . ALSO , a precautionary change on the Turbocharger is being done . Now that is pretty MAJOR change for a case of white smoke ! Is it not ? Please advise on what to do next !

P.S. The car is a June 2013 HL TDi .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks