Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2013, 08:34   #6061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Isn't that how the AC works in Vento? The compressor keeps running when till the cabin temperature reaches to set temp, and then compressor turns off till the temp drops by 2 or so degrees (whatever is set by default).

When the compressor is cut off, the temperature at grill will be warmer since no cool air is being thrown inside the cabin. So maybe when you guys checked the temperature, the compressor was running in one Vento and was off in another.
The first thing is that the Ac stopped cooling to the required temperature, at 23 it was keeping the cabin at 29 degrees and a grill temp of 13 degrees at all times. After resetting the system it was back to cooling at 7 degree grill temp and 23.5- 24 cabin temp.
I have noticed that the cabin is a lot warmer again. I am going to get it checked up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Can I get the 'dual feel' seat covers provided on the Vento Style as an accessory? Anyone know whether it is worth getting seat covers from Volkswagen or the Stanley art-leather ones?
I have the Stanley and I feel they are totally worth every paise you pay for them. They have transformed the feel and the comfort of the car

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another
on the same thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th April 2013 at 08:55.
Old 20th April 2013, 08:48   #6062
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Can I get the 'dual feel' seat covers provided on the Vento Style as an accessory? Anyone know whether it is worth getting seat covers from Volkswagen or the Stanley art-leather ones?
When I visited VW showroom in January, they had this dual-tone seat cover fitted on a trendline variant (provided as a free accessory then). It looked quite tacky especially when compared to the leatherette seats in Vento Highline. I feel options like Stanley should be a better fit.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 12:51   #6063
BHPian

Coming from using a swift vdi, I am finding driving the vento tdi different. I used to follow the 0-20-40-60-80 speeds to change gears, this seem to be difficult to do in the vento, the first gear seems to be quite short, it requires a upshift at 15, and the 2nd at 30. The rubberband effect adds to the pain. Since i am in the run-in period i am not crossing the 2k mark. Fellow Ventoians please provide your inputs if this normal or something specific and what do I need to do.
Old 20th April 2013, 13:03   #6064
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
Coming from using a swift vdi, I am finding driving the vento tdi different. I used to follow the 0-20-40-60-80 speeds to change gears, this seem to be difficult to do in the vento, the first gear seems to be quite short, it requires a upshift at 15, and the 2nd at 30. The rubberband effect adds to the pain. Since i am in the run-in period i am not crossing the 2k mark. Fellow Ventoians please provide your inputs if this normal or something specific and what do I need to do.
I go by the RPM than the speed. IMO anything around 1500 (RPM) is good enough to up-shift (and not experience turbo-lag). A more spirited drive would require upshifts at 2000+ (RPM).

Also the gear shift up/down indicator is extremely accurate/appropriate.

P.s. The first gear is generally found useless (short) when one gets introduced to a Vento. It takes time to find the proper use of this gear.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 20th April 2013 at 13:04.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 13:08   #6065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F458 View Post
I have the Stanley and I feel they are totally worth every paise you pay for them. They have transformed the feel and the comfort of the car
Is it their art-leather or genuine leather that you have put on? How much have those cost you? Please put some snaps if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
I personally do not think that a Vento has more turbo lag than the Swift - maybe I can be wrong as I don't drive the Swift daily. First gear is short on most of the cars and should be changed to 2nd as early as possible without lugging.

I am guessing that it is just that you are not pressing the a-pedal as required. You can very well go up to 2500 RPM during the first 1000 kms (in fact you should to avoid any lugging by mistake) and as per Volkswagen you can go up to 2/3rd of the maximum engine speed (that comes to 3300 RPM) till 1000 kms.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 18:55   #6066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
P.s. The first gear is generally found useless (short) when one gets introduced to a Vento. It takes time to find the proper use of this gear.
Even the Vento manual mentions that the first gear is only to move and one should quickly change to 2nd ?

Outside my house, there is sharp (and short) incline which gets me to the main road with heavy traffic. That is the only other place I use the first gear. Using 2nd requires slipping the clutch, which I better avoid.
Old 20th April 2013, 20:02   #6067
BHPian

UPDATE:The A/C issue was resolved to our satisfaction.There was a problem with the drier it seems.VW replaced it under warranty.Happy with the speed with which they got it done.The service centre claimed they received online approval for warranty replacement within a few hours.
The AC is now very effective.It is as good as the SX4 that we had.Car is a league ahead when it comes to high speed stability,handling and power.My father and I have not been able to find the perfect driving position.Has anybody else faced this issue.The car has done close to 1400 kms.We are 90% happy with the brakes.How long does it take for the brakes to "bed-in?"

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments regarding the AC issue.
KINI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 00:51   #6068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Isn't that how the AC works in Vento? The compressor keeps running when till the cabin temperature reaches to set temp, and then compressor turns off till the temp drops by 2 or so degrees (whatever is set by default).
This response is not to troubleshoot the problem discussed herein but a general concept.

This is how the AC should work, but unfortunately in most Cars it isnt. The HVAC consists of 2 parts first the heater and then the AC evaporator. Using the combination of the two it regulates the inlet air temperature. Inlet air temperature in Automatic climate control is determined by 3 factors which the engineers claim 1. Cabin temp demand. 2.Outside air temp & 3. Heat load.

Now my problem is why use both the heater and evaporator in series to get the optimum inlet air temperature. It is a waste of energy. Cooling air that is already heated up. Some say it is required to maintain humidity. I say its bullshit and a waste of fuel.

The ideal working should have been like a home AC or how tbppjpr explained. In order to get over it, I choose the minimum temp and keep the fan blower to a minimum. The evaporator generally has a trip setting. Keeping the fan low means you are extracting less (cold) from the evaporator thus helping the compressor trip. Benefiting FE.

Quote:
That is a good thing. No need to downshift at speed breakers. One of the reasons why Vento feels faster than what is actually is is down to the brilliantly chosen gear ratios. I just feel they could have made the 4th and 5th slightly shorter and given a 6th.
Most petrol cars have tall 2nd & 3rd gear to get good fuel effeciency (on paper only). And that makes them rubbish to drive.

Last edited by oxyzen : 21st April 2013 at 00:57.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 14:36   #6069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also the gear shift up/down indicator is extremely accurate/appropriate.
One small nitpick - on the down indicator. Just to check whether the downshift recommendation was accurate, I was lazily rolling at ~45 kmph in 4th gear and took off the foot from the accelerator seeing slow moving traffic well ahead of me. By now the speed came to ~35 and still no recommendation for a down shift. Since the traffic ahead eased, I pressed the a-pedal again but this was a bit of lugging. The downshift recommends only when I pressed the a-pedal and not till that time. By that time, the lugging has occurred, which I do not think is that great.

The next time, I let the speed come down more and by around 25 kmph, the recommend-er suggested to put 2nd from 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I just feel they could have made the 4th and 5th slightly shorter and given a 6th.
A 6th! I just am not able to use even the 5th gear lavishly in Kerala traffic. Shifting around 60 kmph in to 5th will be slightly lugging - a different vibration / growl from the engine. And by the time I reach 70, it is the maximum allowed speed on the so called 'highways' of Kerala.

I was just voicing my personal frustration of not able to use the 5th frequently and I know that you guys, blessed with better highways, might long for a 6th.
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:43   #6070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One small nitpick - on the down indicator. Just to check whether the downshift recommendation was accurate, I was lazily rolling at ~45 kmph in 4th gear and took off the foot from the accelerator seeing slow moving traffic well ahead of me. By now the speed came to ~35 and still no recommendation for a down shift. Since the traffic ahead eased, I pressed the a-pedal again but this was a bit of lugging. The downshift recommends only when I pressed the a-pedal and not till that time. By that time, the lugging has occurred, which I do not think is that great.
There is no lugging if you do not load the engine. And if you dont press the accelerator, you are not lugging the engine. (Except idle RPM where it will electronically feed more gas to maintain the RPM)

V1000 for Vento is 32.
Idle RPM is 800.
Hence till the speed drops to 26, you are not lugging the engine (if off course there is no accelerator input)

Based on the observation of yours, I will have to say that the gear recommendation is very accurate. It did eventually show that the downshift is needed.

However from a personal point, I would downshift to 3rd which will give me more engine braking as well as a good platform to accelerate swiftly if the need arises.

But honestly, you will stop looking at the recommendation once the initial euphoria dies down. I never really paid any attention to it.

Quote:
A 6th! I just am not able to use even the 5th gear lavishly in Kerala traffic. Shifting around 60 kmph in to 5th will be slightly lugging - a different vibration / growl from the engine. And by the time I reach 70, it is the maximum allowed speed on the so called 'highways' of Kerala.

I was just voicing my personal frustration of not able to use the 5th frequently and I know that you guys, blessed with better highways, might long for a 6th.
Think about it, a 6th gear would mean a shorter 5th. You could actually use the 5th then.

Last edited by oxyzen : 22nd April 2013 at 01:44.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 08:59   #6071

Hello, I picked up my Shadow Blue Vento TDI HL a month back from VW Palace Cross. A week after delivery, I noticed during wheel cleaning there was humming sound from the right rear wheel bearing, a sound I'm very familiar with from my earlier Ikon 1.6 SXi. I thought it strange that this should happen when the car had done just 350 kms of driving on decent Bangalore roads and a NH7 drive. (In my 75k kms run Ikon, I have replaced the bearings all around twice till now).

A couple weeks later I realized there was a whining noise (from the gearbox?) that was most apparent when in 3rd gear, at 1800 rpm (minimum) and when I took my foot off the accelerator at that point and let it coast in gear. It was less audible but still heard in 4th gear where it occurs at 1300 rpm (minimum). By now the car had done 500 kms.

Two weeks back, I took it to VW Palace Cross' service center in Rajajinagar where they agreed to replace the wheel bearing, but didn't have it in stock; finally got it done 2 days back, car having run 1100 kms.

Unfortunately they didn't do anything about the gear howling sound. They claimed it comes in all Ventos. There was another customer there with a 6 month + 7000 km old Vento TDI who offered me a trial run in his car. The sound was barely audible in his car, but more importantly it was certainly not as obvious as it is in my car.

So I'd like to ask fellow Ventopians if they hear this gear howling sound as well. I've been through this humongous thread a lot before buying the car and don't recall reading about it.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:38   #6072
BHPian

Quote:

V1000 for Vento is 32.
Idle RPM is 800.
Hence till the speed drops to 26, you are not lugging the engine (
This sounds interesting. Could you explain a bit more in detail? What's V 1000?
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:54   #6073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
V1000 for Vento is 32.
I didn't get what you meant by "V1000 for Vento is 32".

Quote:
Based on the observation of yours, I will have to say that the gear recommendation is very accurate. It did eventually show that the downshift is needed.
Eventually, okay. But only after the initial damage has happened, right? When the speed got reduced, in 4th gear, the indicator did not recommend the needed downshift, until I loaded the engine in the wrong gear (still in 4th) by pressing the accelerator.

Quote:
Think about it, a 6th gear would mean a shorter 5th. You could actually use the 5th then.
Only a shorter 4th would allow me to use the 5th more, right?

But thinking about it, why should I want to change gears just for the sake of changing. It was the inability to take the capable Vento to higher speeds on my roads that was bothering me more, and not just to use the 5th gear.
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:02   #6074
BHPian

Friends , my dog chewed up my leather wrapped gear knob. I had left him in the car for a while and he damaged the leather covering on the gear shift.

Can I get this done outside by some quality upholsterer or is the whole gear knob available in after market?
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:30   #6075
Senior - BHPian

Your dog 'customized' the knob and you want to change it If it is not going to pieces then why not drive it as is.

Gear knobs are available a plenty in the aftermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Friends , my dog chewed up my leather wrapped gear knob. I had left him in the car for a while and he damaged the leather covering on the gear shift.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks