Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 17:05   #4561
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Most of the high end petrol cars have high compression engines, and these benefit with higher octane petrol. In fact many performance oriented cars will start giving a lot of problems if 97 octane petrol is not used. You can use lower rating, but in emergencies and for a short time only.
Agree, but I checked and the premium petrols do NOT claim to be high-octane varieties at all. Shell simply says:
Quote:
The new Fuel Economy Formula and designed to prevent the build-up of fuel system deposits and to keep inlet valves clean - helping your engine maintains efficiency and you to get the most out of every drop.
BP says:
Quote:
"Speed" is a blend of petrol and world-class multi-functional additives, sourced from Chevron Oronite Company LLC, a ChevronTexaco company, which complies with EPA 97 (Environment Protection Agency, USA) requirements. "Speed" contains unique deposit control additives that effectively remove harmful deposits from all fuel metering systems and components resulting in enhanced overall engine performance - easy starting / smooth idling, maximum power and acceleration, reduced emission, and no engine knocking - improved mileage and reduced maintenance costs.
Speed 93 and Speed 97 are both high octane petrols suitable for high compression ratio engines. But those were not the ones I meant.
Old 19th June 2012, 17:37   #4562
BHPian

Purchased the new mudflaps(which are of reduced size) and fixed. Initially, I had not purchased them, based on the reviews saying that it scraps on every hump, if we have 5 people travelling. Tried out the new flaps with 5 adults loaded over few bigger humps and no complaints so far.
Bought from the dealer, costed around 1500 Rs for 4 pieces including labor.
abhilash_iv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 17:38   #4563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@madnish- That does appear a little low for a TDI. You may get better mileage after the engine opens up. if it persists, report it to the service station.
That should be 1k or tops 1.5k kms on the odo?
Old 19th June 2012, 19:01   #4564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I do not use any special fuel for my petrol / diesel cars for the fear of additives leaving unwanted deposits
High octane petrol coming out of the distillery is a rare commodity and extremely expensive. So refineries use additives to increase the octane rating. Used to be tera-ethyle-lead compounds till they were discontinued.

So any high octane petrol will have a lot of additives. If a car is designed to benefit from the high octane then you should have no fear of unwanted deposits. In fact the benefits far outweigh the short comings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Agree, but I checked and the premium petrols do NOT claim to be high-octane varieties at all. Shell simply says:

BP says:

Speed 93 and Speed 97 are both high octane petrols suitable for high compression ratio engines. But those were not the ones I meant.
Here is the quote from Speed Site
"SPEED 97 has an Octane number of 97" ghttp://www.speedfuels.com/Content.aspx?Mkey=MjQ=&lKey=Mg==

similarly for Speed 93 Speed 93

These facts are buried deep in the text.

Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th June 2012 at 01:05. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 19:57   #4565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv
Purchased the new mudflaps(which are of reduced size) and fixed. Initially, I had not purchased them, based on the reviews saying that it scraps on every hump, if we have 5 people travelling. Tried out the new flaps with 5 adults loaded over few bigger humps and no complaints so far.
Abhilash, could you share a photo of the shortened mudflaps? The older ones are pretty long and get scraped every time with 5 people and luggage. No damage as such but it does get irritating after a point!
Old 19th June 2012, 20:47   #4566
Senior - BHPian

Shell regular & Super both have a minimum octane rating of 91, this is on paper. However, per the tests carried out by the Shell pumps they routinely find the value to be 93/94. This info was weened from the dealer's manager who is in-charge of the Shell pumps in Hinjewadi and Tatwade both in Poona, during my drive to that part of the country last month. Each Shell pump also has to necessarily conduct a daily density test and report the figures back to the company.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 23:08   #4567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
A picture would be helpful. If this is indeed shorter then I am all for it. Given that I went for el cheapo after market ones fearing the scraping on super humps and craters, replacement with these new ones then saved me some money
Old 20th June 2012, 09:28   #4568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
High octane petrol coming out of the distillery is a rare commodity and extremely expensive. So refineries use additives to increase the octane rating. Used to be tera-ethyle-lead compounds till they were discontinued.

So any high octane petrol will have a lot of additives. If a car is designed to benefit from the high octane then you should have no fear of unwanted deposits. In fact the benefits far outweigh the short comings.
OK that's good to know.

Quote:
Here is the quote from Speed Site
"SPEED 97 has an Octane number of 97" ghttp://www.speedfuels.com/Content.aspx?Mkey=MjQ=&lKey=Mg==

similarly for Speed 93 Speed 93

These facts are buried deep in the text.
ARoy- I thnk you misinterpreted my statement. Am not denying that Speed 93 and 97 are high-octane fuels. I was referring to the premium petrol available at most petrol pumps, simply called "Speed" or in Shell's case, "Super". These have the same octane number of around 91 that unleaded petrol has.

In any case, we have veered off-topic long enough
Old 20th June 2012, 11:36   #4569
BHPian

As rightly mentioned by noopster above- guys dont you think we are going OT discussing about the fuel in this thread. Lets give that a miss and come back to our Ventos

abhilash_iv - Need the pics of the mudflaps. Please share asap.
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 14:56   #4570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
abhilash_iv - Need the pics of the mudflaps. Please share asap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
A picture would be helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Abhilash, could you share a photo of the shortened mudflaps?
Here goes two closeup pictures. I am not sure if it will help in assessing the size. The parking lot of my office is not very comfortable for a longer shot. I think you can measure the size comparing it with the tyre strips .
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20120620_133428.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20120620_133437.jpg

Last edited by abhilash_iv : 20th June 2012 at 15:00.
abhilash_iv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 15:07   #4571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
Here goes two closeup pictures. I am not sure if it will help in assessing the size. The parking lot of my office is not very comfortable for a longer shot. I think you can measure the size comparing it with the tyre strips .
Attachment 943815

Attachment 943816
Those are really neat. I'm assuming you got these from the dealers and not after-market? Is there any specific product code or name - will be visiting the workshop this weekend for fitting the same on mine.

Edit: Booked an appointment for this Saturday. Executive on the phone wasn't sure if the "smaller" sized mudflaps are available, however she has quoted Rs1200 + labor charges for the same.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 20th June 2012 at 15:19.
Old 20th June 2012, 15:10   #4572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Those are really neat. I'm assuming you got these from the dealers and not after-market? Is there any specific product code or name - will be visiting the workshop this weekend for fitting the same on mine.
Yes it is from the dealer. I did not check the part no in the invoice. You need to specially mention that you need the second lot, which is shorter. They might be having the older ones also in stock.
Old 20th June 2012, 15:34   #4573
Senior - BHPian

I also got exact same ones as abhilash. I just compared them with the ones on speed kills' Polo when I met him and yes these are smaller. I have not yet had them touch any speed breaker so far and I've been on many huge breakers (as there are so many here in Bangalore). So yes, these are really good from Volkswagen.

Also I came to know that we can get some kind of engine compartment cover (metal plate?) as tehre is none on my Vento. Does anybody know anything about it ? Volkswagen Whitefield had no idea about this!
Old 21st June 2012, 12:41   #4574
BHPian

Extended warranty

Hi,

As my car was lying around idle for nearly 5 months (due to my overseas trip), I have given it to VW palace cross for regular checkup. While dropping it yesterday for service, I asked them about opting for extended warranty. But to my surprise, VW is currently offering it within one year of purchase.

Mine is one of the first few Ventos in Bangalore (Oct 2010) and extended warranty has been introduced quite recently. Even Palace cross folks are shocked and have written to VW about this. They asked me to send them an email on this, which I have done. They are going to forward it to VW and let me know.

Did any of the initial Vento owners in this forum opt for extended warranty?
Old 21st June 2012, 12:55   #4575
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Did any of the initial Vento owners in this forum opt for extended warranty?
Yes. Apart from me, a lot of others too have opted for this. And yes, the warranty can be opted only in the first year (unfortunately). However considering it was introduced late (early 2011 I believe), your case should be looked at leniently by VW.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks