Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2013, 18:57   #6196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Update: "VW Summer Check up camp has been extended till 15 June'13 due to overwhelming response. Attractive prizes to be won."

Received an SMS from VW. Only thing I would suggest is, get the free car wash if needed, else skip it. Not worth the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
So interms of engine refinement which wins: Vento petrol or Verna petrol? Battle of the V's!

Exactly why I like Vento, but my back pain tells me go for Verna.

Sometimes I think to myself I will go for a car with stiff suspension and drive real slow on rough roads. I currently drive a Getz, the suspension isn't exactly soft.
Keeping your requirements in check Verna fits the bill, but I did suggest you to test drive both the cars on same road and feel the difference. Then you can make a wise choice.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 21:24   #6197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Get the Verna if the back is such a problem. The Vento will have a firmer suspension tht you might not like.
My back pain is not so severe that I can't ride a firm suspension, but it helps if suspension is soft so that sudden jolts are minimal. However my foremost requirement is a very quiet ride. So engine refinement and NVH damping is of utmost importance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
If you have a driver to drive you around most of the time, go for the Verna. Its comfortable and offers a lot more features than the VW. However if you are going to drive the car then maybe / probably VW.
I will be driving myself. I certainly do not like Hyundai EPS, but that's secondary consideration.

There seem to be some reliability issue with VW. Is it true that European cars are build solid but mechanicals are less reliable than Asian cars? Has the suspension thump of Vento been sorted out by VW?
Old 1st June 2013, 01:49   #6198
Senior - BHPian

Considering that NVH is of primary import, I would suggest that you take a look at the Cedia and if you can up the budget a bit then the Corolla.
Both cars are very quiet, have great rides front and back and the Cedia at nearly 3 lakhs less than the Corolla offers a better steering feedback and is more fun to drive. The Corolla has a larger boot and sells much more than the Cedia. Both cars have the ability to cut you off from the traffic noise unless there is a very high pitched exhaust close by and of course horns but these too get muted. The Engines on both are so smooth that at idle you cannot make out whether they are running or not till you take a look at the tachometer.

Infact the Nissan Sunny too is more refined than both the Vento and Verna petrol. I am however not aware of the power output of this one in comparison to the other cars.

The VW marquee has always been plagued by poor electricals, this is true of both the UK and the US markets. Here the issue seems to be more with the drive train components. The Japs do have a better track record at being more reliable.

Notice the Honda is missing from my list of recommended cars. That is because though the engine is butter smooth, the ride is poor compared to the Cedia, Corolla and the Sunny in that order. Heck even the Vento has a better ride than the City. The Sunny I feel has the plush drive at intra city speeds that you might be looking for.

Another brand missing here is the Fiat. I have not recommended the petrol engine Linea as I find it slightly underpowered. In case the TJet is relaunched before you put down your money, then do take a test drive. I have one and the car is butter smooth, ride is comfortable, nice feedback and again the cabin is very quiet. Infact when being driven I prefer the TJet's rear seat as it has better rear leg room & ride than my Cedia. This despite the fact that the Cedia comes with a much better rear suspension set up. i guess it has to do with the TJet's 16" wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
My back pain is not so severe that I can't ride a firm suspension, but it helps if suspension is soft so that sudden jolts are minimal. However my foremost requirement is a very quiet ride. So engine refinement and NVH damping is of utmost importance.

I will be driving myself. I certainly do not like Hyundai EPS, but that's secondary consideration.

There seem to be some reliability issue with VW. Is it true that European cars are build solid but mechanicals are less reliable than Asian cars? Has the suspension thump of Vento been sorted out by VW?

Last edited by khoj : 1st June 2013 at 01:51.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 08:51   #6199
BHPian

Dear All

I own a VW Vento Diesel Highline and needed a bit of help. It has been raining cats and dogs in Bangalore the past couple of days. The basement of my building has been flooded, and that's where I usually park.

Once the basement got flooded, I took out my car from the basement, but in the process of taking it out, I had to drive through a very small area - just about 150-200 centimeters in length; that had a lot of water. For a few seconds, almost half of the bumper had got submerged in water.

After the car was out, I could feel the water in between the brake pads - causing loss of braking, but that was sorted out with a short drive with some hard braking.

No water has got inside the car - but I noticed a few droplets near the fan in the engine compartment - only a few droplets.

On driving, the car seems fine. Is there anything I should worry about ? I would like to reiterate that the entire process lasted for a few seconds only - not even a full minute.

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st June 2013, 08:59   #6200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Considering that NVH is of primary import, I would suggest that you take a look at the Cedia and if you can up the budget a bit then the Corolla.

Infact the Nissan Sunny too is more refined than both the Vento and Verna petrol. I am however not aware of the power output of this one in comparison to the other cars.
Thanks khoj for the detailed response. While I like Toyota, the Corolla would be too much of a stretch on my budget. I tend to believe that European cars with their robust build will inherently have better noise damping than their Asian counterparts. So Vento is still very much on my radar. Good to know that it has better ride than the City.

PS: sorry for side tracking the thread. Thank you all for your valuable inputs.
Old 1st June 2013, 12:27   #6201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
Having used a Swift VDI, I am finding my Vento TDI not at par on performance. I tried changing the fuel station, checking the oil level, but no luck. I also took the car to the service center to check if something is wrong, but the service advisor post a test drive said the car is okay.

I am getting the following gear-speeds combination. Fellow TDI owners, please help me here in validating if these numbers are similar on your car.

3rd gear
2k rpm 50 kmph
2.5k rpm 60 kmph
Post 2.5k the engine sounds like its straining

4th gear
2k rpm 70 kmph
2.5k rpm 80 kmph

Car has just clocked 3500 km, and this behavior is ever since day one.

Is there a Mumbai Vento meet happening? I could get feedback on my car performance from other Ventoians.
Can somebody please help ?
Old 1st June 2013, 13:02   #6202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
Having used a Swift VDI, I am finding my Vento TDI not at par on performance.
I haven't driven the Swift Vdi recently, but to what I remember the RPM - kmph graph does differ a lot. Not really that identical except the turbo boost effect(s).

Quote:
I tried changing the fuel station, checking the oil level, but no luck. I also took the car to the service center to check if something is wrong, but the service advisor post a test drive said the car is okay.

I am getting the following gear-speeds combination. Fellow TDI owners, please help me here in validating if these numbers are similar on your car.

3rd gear
2k rpm 50 kmph
2.5k rpm 60 kmph
Post 2.5k the engine sounds like its straining

4th gear
2k rpm 70 kmph
2.5k rpm 80 kmph

Car has just clocked 3500 km, and this behavior is ever since day one.
I hope you weren't trying this out from day one. Not a good thing to do on a brand new car.

As for comparison basis, I can't validate your 3rd gear numbers now, but the 4th gear numbers in my case are a tad higher, but not very different. For the 5th gear, I get 100-110 at 2k rpm, while I hit 120-140 atleast in the 2.5k-3k range.

Quote:
Is there a Mumbai Vento meet happening? I could get feedback on my car performance from other Ventoians.
Instead of this thread, direct PMs would do you a lot better. I am currently put up at Powai till tomorrow, but not sure if I would be able to meet you unless you are in Powai. Also if any of the weekdays you could land up in Pune, then give me or @mikon a buzz - we can meet up and do a comparo.

Have a check with @el lobo 61 (Vashi) & @sourvac (Chembur) - PM and see if they are free to meet you. Not aware of other Ventonians in Mumbai.
Old 1st June 2013, 13:55   #6203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

I haven't driven the Swift Vdi recently, but to what I remember the RPM - kmph graph does differ a lot. Not really that identical except the turbo boost effect(s).

I hope you weren't trying this out from day one. Not a good thing to do on a brand new car.

As for comparison basis, I can't validate your 3rd gear numbers now, but the 4th gear numbers in my case are a tad higher, but not very different. For the 5th gear, I get 100-110 at 2k rpm, while I hit 120-140 atleast in the 2.5k-3k range.

Instead of this thread, direct PMs would do you a lot better. I am currently put up at Powai till tomorrow, but not sure if I would be able to meet you unless you are in Powai. Also if any of the weekdays you could land up in Pune, then give me or @mikon a buzz - we can meet up and do a comparo.

Have a check with @el lobo 61 (Vashi) & @sourvac (Chembur) - PM and see if they are free to meet you. Not aware of other Ventonians in Mumbai.
No I didn't cross the 2k rpm mark till 1500 kms. I work in Powai (monday to friday). Will try PM, thanks for the information.
Old 1st June 2013, 15:28   #6204
BHPian

So my dad took the car for a highway drive and came back very disappointed. The rear suspension tends to jump up everytime over a speed breaker and the brakes were pathetic. ABS kicks in too early. We compared with another Vento and that had far superior brakes. We are in touch with VW and have given the car to Abra Motors for repairs.
It's been a frustrating experience so far. The brake issue has rattled us. How many defects can a car have?? First AC, now these!! German quality anyone??

If VW doesn't get my car in perfect condition soon, this will be our last VAG car

Last edited by KINI : 1st June 2013 at 15:30.
Old 2nd June 2013, 00:09   #6205

Hi Folks,
I have seen a lot of Vento Owners sharing concerns about high engine oil consumption. My Vento Highline TDI has done about 20000 kms, but is still consuming about 100 ml of engine oil for every 1000 kms of driving. I consider this too high even though the Manual says otherwise. Is this a problem. Did Anyone on this Forum have a fix for high Engine Oil Consumption. Please help. This high engine oil consumption even after the Run In Period is making me nervous.
Old 2nd June 2013, 20:37   #6206
BHPian

With monsoons almost here (actually already started) its time to change the wipers on the vento. Any suggestions? I think the size is 24" and 16".

Cheers
Sid
Old 3rd June 2013, 00:28   #6207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
With monsoons almost here (actually already started) its time to change the wipers on the vento. Any suggestions? I think the size is 24" and 16".
My suggestion would be Hella DynaEdge. They are a single piece wiper blades. They make less noise compared to stock. Only issue is since it has a locking mechanism which is a bit higher, so you end up having wiper blade arm risen by 2-3 mm which makes it more visible.

Vento size is 24" & 16" and comes at a MRP of Rs. 613 & Rs. 567 in Aug'12.

I had changed wiper blades to Hella in August'12. Below is the link of it.

Link
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:00   #6208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
My suggestion would be Hella DynaEdge. They are a single piece wiper blades. They make less noise compared to stock. Only issue is since it has a locking mechanism which is a bit higher, so you end up having wiper blade arm risen by 2-3 mm which makes it more visible.

Vento size is 24" & 16" and comes at a MRP of Rs. 613 & Rs. 567 in Aug'12.

I had changed wiper blades to Hella in August'12. Below is the link of it.

Link
Thanks for the suggestion below is the pic as to how high the stock wipers look from the steering wheel.

Name:  image2610144823.png
Views: 2747
Size:  586.7 KB

Would it be possible for you to take a similar pic as above for comparison.

Thanks in advance
Sid
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:27   #6209

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
So my dad took the car for a highway drive and came back very disappointed. The rear suspension tends to jump up everytime over a speed breaker and the brakes were pathetic. ABS kicks in too early. We compared with another Vento and that had far superior brakes. We are in touch with VW and have given the car to Abra Motors for repairs.
It's been a frustrating experience so far. The brake issue has rattled us. How many defects can a car have?? First AC, now these!! German quality anyone??

If VW doesn't get my car in perfect condition soon, this will be our last VAG car
The problems in Volkswagen cars are not getting any better. I too had a braking problem or atleast as I saw them as problems. First, for the inital 1.5 inches you press the brake, there is no action. Even after that I had to almost stand on the brakes in case of emergency. This was too disturbing. The Service Station Guys in Noida 'Atrica' insisted that the 1" play in Volkswagen cars is normal. Then, I forced them to bleed the brakes to my satisfaction. This improved the braking substantially, however, there is still a dead zone of 1" - when no braking action occurs. I took the matter with Volkswagen Customer Care, but the problem is that there is no way to further escalate the matter. Volkswagen has no escalation channel. You are sadwitched between the Service Station and the Customer Care. Useless. I posted on thier facebook page as well. Finally, they replaced my disk pads. Now, the braking is much improved, but the dead zone remains at 1". I gave up !
Old 3rd June 2013, 21:49   #6210
BHPian

Guys,could somebody here explain the infamous Vento "thud" issue.This is the issue we are facing,whenever we go over a speed-breaker or an undulation on the road at even moderate speeds,the rear wheels are off the ground.Now since the rear wheels are off the ground,braking effectiveness is reduced.On top of that,the ABS kicks in too early.We tried the brakes on another car and that had much better braking.

We are very clear we will not take the car back until it is looked into and certified by an engineer from VW.Could somebody please provide me with the email IDs/contact numbers of the top guys at VW.Dealing with the customer care is a frustrating experience!!

Last edited by KINI : 3rd June 2013 at 21:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks