Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2013, 20:20   #6241

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
This is normal for a Vento/Rapid. It is also mentioned in this review.
Thanks, Crank. I did read about it in the review. However, during TD - somehow, this either slipped my attention or wasn't so evident in the TD vehicle.
Old 17th June 2013, 20:30   #6242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish4731 View Post
Mine is a VW Vento May 2013 model and I've been driving it for about two weeks now. I sense (when my foot is on the pedal) a vibration on the clutch pedal not only while changing the gears but especially in situations when one drives half-clutch.

Does anyone else here notice something similar in their car or is it just me ? Is it normal behaviour (I doubt it since I don't remember experiencing anything like this in my earlier car) or Should I get it checked by the VW SA ?

If this is a separate thread that talks about anything similar, appreciate if you can point it out.

Thanks in advance.
Well, honestly speaking, I never felt this vibration when I drove Rapid diesel TD car. And huge amounts of it when I tested Vento TDI. I actually asked the Vento sales guy, and he told me that was because the TD car was 20k kms old and abused. I hadnt looked at the Rapid's Odo, so I couldn't counter him. But I have a feeling that vibrations are much better disguised/insulated in Rapid.
Old 17th June 2013, 23:24   #6243
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I drive a 2012 (July) model VW Vento diesel highline and the car is due for its first service. Once the service is done, I am planning to go for a stock replacement K&N filter. I did try searching the part number for the same but in vain. Can anyone help me out in finding the correct part number? I reside in Electronics city, Bangalore and if you know any of the reliable car shops that deal with K&N filters in Bangalore, please let me know.

LOTHAR
Old 17th June 2013, 23:58   #6244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Lothar View Post
Hi Guys,

I drive a 2012 (July) model VW Vento diesel highline and the car is due for its first service. Once the service is done, I am planning to go for a stock replacement K&N filter. I did try searching the part number for the same but in vain. Can anyone help me out in finding the correct part number? I reside in Electronics city, Bangalore and if you know any of the reliable car shops that deal with K&N filters in Bangalore, please let me know.

LOTHAR
Pardon my ignorance, but can you add k&n to diesel cars? If yes wont it sound gruff? I think that vroom vroom sound will come only on petrol cars. I may be completely wrong. Also what other advantage you have by doing that?
Old 18th June 2013, 10:45   #6245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Well, honestly speaking, I never felt this vibration when I drove Rapid diesel TD car. And huge amounts of it when I tested Vento TDI. I actually asked the Vento sales guy, and he told me that was because the TD car was 20k kms old and abused. I hadnt looked at the Rapid's Odo, so I couldn't counter him. But I have a feeling that vibrations are much better disguised/insulated in Rapid.
I keep hearing comments of this sort. Even in the Rapid's test drive by Team BHP Rapid was praised for its NVH and suspension (Link here). It says the below.

"Skoda claims that the Rapid and Vento are mechanically similar with no improvements to the Rapid. We find this very hard to believe as the Rapid has a superior suspension setup, and way better NVH insulation. Further, the Rapid MT was found to be more responsive than the Vento MT, forcing us to review it the next day. "

So considering the above why would anyone buy the pricier Vento over the Rapid?
Old 18th June 2013, 11:24   #6246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I keep hearing comments of this sort. Even in the Rapid's test drive by Team BHP Rapid was praised for its NVH and suspension (Link here). It says the below.

"Skoda claims that the Rapid and Vento are mechanically similar with no improvements to the Rapid. We find this very hard to believe as the Rapid has a superior suspension setup, and way better NVH insulation. Further, the Rapid MT was found to be more responsive than the Vento MT, forcing us to review it the next day. "
Lets stop referring to the Rapid's (TBHP) review for suspension comparison - this aspect has been debated again and again numerous times, with varying feedback(s) from different sources. A few points to consider

- The Vento (and probably the Rapid) has undergone a few "refresh"ments since that review was done. Ignoring different "comparisons" done by bhpians (including those who couldn't find any differences), clearly both VW & Skoda would be better off having the same (best-fit) suspension on both cars

- If one still wants to refer to the (almost) 2 year old review, please understand there was a refreshed model of Vento that was released just 2 months before the review that had a different suspension config than the older version (the version I own). I and others had raised the query if they had checked the re-freshed version of the Vento then; I don't remember getting a positive reply on that.

- As for TDs, a lot depends on the condition of the test-drive vehicle and the way it has been handled. I'd rather not come to any conclusions based on these vehicles.

Quote:
So considering the above why would anyone buy the pricier Vento over the Rapid?
A lot goes for both the Rapid & the Vento. Skoda A.S.S would be one big deterrent, the steering controls being another. In fact people are even just put-off by the green background light of the Rapid dashboard. In short, it depends. Also discounts given by different dealers in different cities make the price difference a lot smaller.

If you ask me, I always give this advice to people who ask me to compare both cars: The Rapid would seem to be a more VFM option, if one is ok with taking the risk of Skoda A.S.S.

P.s. I'm not defending the Vento. I'm just bored of this "difference" factor being raised again and again and again.
ninjatalli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 13:03   #6247
BHPian

Friends, I have given my opinion on this issue since a Team-BHP member asked for it on the forum. The intention was not to say that Rapid was a better car than Vento. Neither have I raised this topic on my own, am surprised and sorry that it invoked somewhat strong reactions.
Old 18th June 2013, 18:04   #6248
BHPian

Re: Cleaning Air Filter of Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merril View Post
I feel my 2011 Vento HL TDI is not accelerating as it used to do. Basically the turbo 'rush' comes late and when it does, feels subdued. As I live in a very dusty part of Bangalore (lots of general construction all around), I am suspecting that this is an issue of a partially clogged air filter. I'm ruling out any serious malfunctions as the car is not showing any warning lights/indications.

I would have loved to drop the car off at the service center, but they are usually booked choc a block and in my experience unnecessary visits to the service center cause more problems than they solve. And so, I've decided to see if I can clean air filter manually.

However, being a newbie at such things just wanted to take an opinion here:

1. Is this a feasible DIY item to do
2. If it is, are there any reliable step by step process/instruction set that I can follow.
3. Is there any detrimental effect on the warranty/extended warranty if i do this

Any help will be much appreciated.
I have been facing the same problem in my 2012 model Vento TDI ever since i got the first service done in feb 2013 in which the ECU software was updated. Iland up revving the engine beyond 2000 rpm but do not get the same turbo rush as before. Even over-taking manovers on the highways under similar circumstances clearly show the lack of the turbo kick presently compared to before and there has been a drop in FE. This is painful.

Took the car to the Rajajinagar workshop couple of weeks back and had the SE connect the VAG COM. He ran a few tests and said everything was ok and cleaned the air filter for me. There has not been any improvement in the acceleration ar FE.

The only thing left to check, as suggested by some BHP-ians, is the turbo hose. Will get it done sometime next week. In the mean time, if theres anyone who has been able to get to the root of the problem and has a solution, please do share.

Regards, ASVA
Old 18th June 2013, 18:34   #6249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASVA View Post
I have been facing the same problem in my 2012 model Vento TDI ever since i got the first service done in feb 2013 in which the ECU software was updated. Iland up revving the engine beyond 2000 rpm but do not get the same turbo rush as before. Even over-taking manovers on the highways under similar circumstances clearly show the lack of the turbo kick presently compared to before and there has been a drop in FE. This is painful. Took the car to the Rajajinagar workshop couple of weeks back and had the SE connect the VAG COM. He ran a few tests and said everything was ok and cleaned the air filter for me. There has not been any improvement in the acceleration ar FE. The only thing left to check, as suggested by some BHP-ians, is the turbo hose. Will get it done sometime next week. In the mean time, if theres anyone who has been able to get to the root of the problem and has a solution, please do share. Regards, ASVA
It takes time post an ecu update to re learn your driving style. How many km have you clicked post update? Also please check the fuel. Are you filling from the same station? Try changing your fuel station. Lower quality fuel ( especially filled from non coco pump) results in Lethargic Response. For your reference I am attaching the 5th gear speed/Rpm figures

Rpm speed
2500 110
3000 133
3500 150
4000 170
4200 181

Please note, these figures were recorded on a close road with safety in mind. I was assisted by a co driver to note these figures. The figures of speed were obtained from digital display for accuracy ( on MID)

You can compare and check your figures
Old 18th June 2013, 19:58   #6250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but can you add k&n to diesel cars?
Yes, of course Frontosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Also what other advantage you have by doing that?
I am yet to experience that. But I expect a slightly better performance and these air filters last longer.

I did manage to get some details on the part number of K&N filter for Vento Diesel. It is e-2997. This was told by Sachin Autoshop - Koramangala, Bangalore. They have quoted a price of 5700Rs for the same.

LOTHAR
Old 18th June 2013, 21:06   #6251
BHPian

I have a question regarding the infamous Vento thud. Does it happen only on those factory made black and yellow speed breakers and others of similar profile? Those speed breakers are nasty; they give a jolt no matter what speed you tackle it with.
Old 18th June 2013, 22:53   #6252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I have a question regarding the infamous Vento thud. Does it happen only on those factory made black and yellow speed breakers and others of similar profile? Those speed breakers are nasty; they give a jolt no matter what speed you tackle it with.
Any breaker with sharp exit and coupled will higher speed will induce the thud! A thud can also me induce at a road with sharp undulations
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 03:50   #6253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

A lot goes for both the Rapid & the Vento. Skoda A.S.S would be one big deterrent, the steering controls being another. In fact people are even just put-off by the green background light of the Rapid dashboard. In short, it depends. Also discounts given by different dealers in different cities make the price difference a lot smaller.

If you ask me, I always give this advice to people who ask me to compare both cars: The Rapid would seem to be a more VFM option, if one is ok with taking the risk of Skoda A.S.S.
As someone who owns a Superb and then bought a Vento, let me give my reasons:
- service was not a concern, as my experience with Skoda service has been fine (even if my Skoda gave more than its fair share of problems)
- the steering mounted controls were a minor reason
- I was getting a much better discount on the Rapid which made the price difference almost Rs. 75 k
- however, the main reason for picking the Vento was that both my wife and I thought the Vento's interiors look much better than the Rapid - we liked the shades better, and the steering wheel of the Vento looks better and feels better to hold.

Is that worth Rs. 75 k- to us, yes.

Last edited by Hayek : 19th June 2013 at 03:51.
Hayek is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 11:12   #6254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Lets stop referring to the Rapid's (TBHP) review for suspension comparison - this aspect has been debated again and again numerous times, with varying feedback(s) from different sources. A few points to consider

- The Vento (and probably the Rapid) has undergone a few "refresh"ments since that review was done. Ignoring different "comparisons" done by bhpians (including those who couldn't find any differences), clearly both VW & Skoda would be better off having the same (best-fit) suspension on both cars

- If one still wants to refer to the (almost) 2 year old review, please understand there was a refreshed model of Vento that was released just 2 months before the review that had a different suspension config than the older version (the version I own). I and others had raised the query if they had checked the re-freshed version of the Vento then; I don't remember getting a positive reply on that.

- As for TDs, a lot depends on the condition of the test-drive vehicle and the way it has been handled. I'd rather not come to any conclusions based on these vehicles.
Thanks for the explanation. I would expect the TBHPs review to be updated with the latest facts as people tend to look into the main review rather than any other posts that follow. Nowadays I see almost everyone who buys a car, looks into TBHP reviews and hence their buying decision should not be affected by this :-)

Quote:
Friends, I have given my opinion on this issue since a Team-BHP member asked for it on the forum. The intention was not to say that Rapid was a better car than Vento. Neither have I raised this topic on my own, am surprised and sorry that it invoked somewhat strong reactions.
Not sure whether you touched a nerve, which ninjatalli can confirm. :-) To me, there's nothing wrong in your post. It helps to clarify things for the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
- service was not a concern, as my experience with Skoda service has been fine (even if my Skoda gave more than its fair share of problems)
- the steering mounted controls were a minor reason
- I was getting a much better discount on the Rapid which made the price difference almost Rs. 75 k
- however, the main reason for picking the Vento was that both my wife and I thought the Vento's interiors look much better than the Rapid - we liked the shades better, and the steering wheel of the Vento looks better and feels better to hold.

Is that worth Rs. 75 k- to us, yes.
To me, it was the interiors, brand value and the A.S.S. Though VWs A.S.S is
not yet proven to the likes of Maruti/Hyundai, yet there were two VW dealers in Chennai compared to Skoda's one and only Gurudev.
Old 19th June 2013, 12:05   #6255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just provided my 2 cents. No offense taken. And I hope the case is same at your end too.

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I would expect the TBHPs review to be updated with the latest facts as people tend to look into the main review rather than any other posts that follow.
Generally they are updated. But this is really a minor point, so probably overlooked.

A more recent comparo if needed can be referred to @coolbuddy007's thread - I believe a friend of his has the Rapid; and they have done a proper one-on-one check between both the cars. They couldn't find any difference, which actually makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Perfect. You (almost) just provided the other view of the argument. As I said, both cars have their own set of pros/cons.

Btw a comparo on Skoda vs VW A.S.S. on similar matters would be quite useful
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks