Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2013, 12:44   #6256
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Just provided my 2 cents. No offense taken. And I hope the case is same at your end too.
Absolutely, this is what the forum is for.
Old 20th June 2013, 15:14   #6257
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!.

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
It takes time post an ecu update to re learn your driving style. How many km have you clicked post update? Also please check the fuel. Are you filling from the same station? Try changing your fuel station. Lower quality fuel ( especially filled from non coco pump) results in Lethargic Response. For your reference I am attaching the 5th gear speed/Rpm figures

Rpm speed
2500 110
3000 133
3500 150
4000 170
4200 181

Please note, these figures were recorded on a close road with safety in mind. I was assisted by a co driver to note these figures. The figures of speed were obtained from digital display for accuracy ( on MID)

You can compare and check your figures
Thank u for your response, newtonMeter.

I had the car serviced in February '13 and have clocked abt 2000 kms after that. I had noticed the lethargic response immediately while driving back home after service. I fill diesel only from Shell outlets presuming they are better than the rest.

I would appreciate it if you could point out how the 5th gear speed/rpm figures provided by you could help me in pin pointing the reason for the lethargic response. (However, for comparison sake, the engine RPM hovers around 2200-2300 rpm at 100 kmph speed. Checked this a few hours back while driving to the airport)

Also, for a comparison, I drove my brother-in-laws' Vento (Jan 2013 model) and found the acceleration response and 'turbo-kick' to be superior to my car.
I am kind of disappointed with the current performance of my car and desperate to get it back to it earlier performance levels.

Regards
ASVA

P.S - Is it possible that the service center may have done something wrong? I do not have any strong reason to suspect this as the SC is among the better ones in Bangalore. Also, as suggested by some BHP-ians, is it worth looking at the turbo hose? can it be damaged so fast? Have you experienced any such problem in your car after servicing/ECU updates?

MODS - sorry for the back to back posts. tried posting in my previous post by editing, but I guess i didnt do it right.

Last edited by GTO : 24th June 2013 at 13:36. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 21st June 2013, 07:20   #6258
BHPian

While i was inquiring about the status of delivery of my car , A VW workshop guy approaches us and asks my friend if he would like his car washed ? You'd be surprised . He owns a Honda Amaze and a VW guy wanted to clean it . for FREE! He said something about the Monsoon checkup camp. I found it quite humorous but had to decline that offer since we just didn't have the time . I read something in this thread that VW don't do free washes for their cars in the Monsoon checkup camp ??? They do it here .
Old 23rd June 2013, 13:41   #6259
BHPian

Slight OT - since I dont have ownership review yet just attaching pic of the vento

Only after I got a silver car for the first time did I realise how easy it is to maintain without wash after a 350 km journey

Name:  ForumRunner_20130623_133916.png
Views: 2426
Size:  652.5 KB

Last edited by Frontosa : 23rd June 2013 at 13:43.
Frontosa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 15:06   #6260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Slight OT - since I dont have ownership review yet just attaching pic of the vento Only after I got a silver car for the first time did I realise how easy it is to maintain without wash after a 350 km journey
You bet frontiers! Silver is the best color in terms of maintenance . Silver is the only color if taken minimal care will be as good as the showroom delivery day this pic with the overcast background is one for the brochure super pic.
It must be a super change from owning a black polo to a silver vento. Any starling difference between polo and vento in terms of power, brakes handling or any thing else?
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 15:48   #6261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post

Only after I got a silver car for the first time did I realise how easy it is to maintain without wash after a 350 km journey

Attachment 1100914
And the Silver on the Vento is a little different (?more metallic) than the silver on the run-of-the-mill cars. I like it a lot. In the evening sun, the silver Vento is a looker.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 20:47   #6262
Senior - BHPian

My VeeDub had to be staying untouched in the garage for 2 weeks. Then, yesterday when I started her and tried to slot the reverse gear, it wouldn't. Disengaged the clutch and tried to no avail. Tried 1st gear, still a no go. Then, I had to slip the clutch while slotting the gear and it slotted with a mild thud. Thereafter, I had no issues.

Don't know if it is a one off issue or anything big to surface.
Old 24th June 2013, 08:13   #6263
BHPian

Does the 2013 model 320 unit shows reverse parking display?

Btw does Vento HL comes with parking sensors?
Old 24th June 2013, 10:43   #6264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_ZING View Post
The problems in Volkswagen cars are not getting any better. I too had a braking problem or atleast as I saw them as problems. First, for the inital 1.5 inches you press the brake, there is no action. Even after that I had to almost stand on the brakes in case of emergency. This was too disturbing. The Service Station Guys in Noida 'Atrica' insisted that the 1" play in Volkswagen cars is normal. Then, I forced them to bleed the brakes to my satisfaction. This improved the braking substantially, however, there is still a dead zone of 1" - when no braking action occurs. I took the matter with Volkswagen Customer Care, but the problem is that there is no way to further escalate the matter. Volkswagen has no escalation channel. You are sadwitched between the Service Station and the Customer Care. Useless. I posted on thier facebook page as well. Finally, they replaced my disk pads. Now, the braking is much improved, but the dead zone remains at 1". I gave up !
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Guys,could somebody here explain the infamous Vento "thud" issue.This is the issue we are facing,whenever we go over a speed-breaker or an undulation on the road at even moderate speeds,the rear wheels are off the ground.Now since the rear wheels are off the ground,braking effectiveness is reduced.On top of that,the ABS kicks in too early.We tried the brakes on another car and that had much better braking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Have you tried driving another vento and compare the brakes? By the way the thud is a design flaw and us present in all ventoes. Surprisingly the baby sister polo does not have any thud. The extended wheelbase and the boot has screwed up the rear suspension. The only real check could be checking ur tyre pressure. If mostly travel alone or with co driver you can inflate front to 31 and rear to 29 psi. This reduces the thudding to some level but you can't eliminate it completely. A stiffer suspension should be VW priority to fix this or a more ambitious multilink rear would be yummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
A possible reason is the addition of the boot to the original Polo. To account for the added weight it has to carry on the rear wheels, the suspension must have been raised slightly (as compared to the Polo), resulting in the thud for both Vento and Rapid.
Guys sorry for the delay but I didn't want to post anything here until everything was resolved.The service centre had agreed that there was an issue agreed to replace the rear suspension.The parts were fitted only on Friday last week.Now the suspension feel a bit softer.On huge speed brakers,the THUD did not happen even at 20 kmph.But inside my office campus is MEPZ,the THUD occures when going over those small(rubber??) ones even at 10kmph.But it is much more muted and manageable now.I don't have to bring the car to a crawl everytime.

Regarding the brakes there was apparently some rusting on the brake drums.It was cleaned and braking is much better now.But nowhere in the league of SX4 ZXi.

Last edited by KINI : 24th June 2013 at 10:45.
Old 24th June 2013, 16:39   #6265

Parking sensors - Yes.

Parking display - No. The sensors beep as the car gets closer to any object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Does the 2013 model 320 unit shows reverse parking display?

Btw does Vento HL comes with parking sensors?
girish4731 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 18:33   #6266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Regarding the brakes there was apparently some rusting on the brake drums.It was cleaned and braking is much better now.But nowhere in the league of SX4 ZXi.
The primary brakes are the disc brakes in Vento . During each servicing, for better braking, one should get the discs machined so that it removes dust, grime as well as rough ridges that the brake pads make on the surface. Unfortunately at the service centres they don't do that due to paucity of time - instead changing the discs every 30,000 kms.
I never had issues with the braking force or the stopping distance though the brake pedal does have play
Old 24th June 2013, 19:02   #6267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
The primary brakes are the disc brakes in Vento . During each servicing, for better braking, one should get the discs machined so that it removes dust, grime as well as rough ridges that the brake pads make on the surface. Unfortunately at the service centres they don't do that due to paucity of time - instead changing the discs every 30,000 kms.
I never had issues with the braking force or the stopping distance though the brake pedal does have play
There is a marked difference in the brakes before and after the cleaning.For a car with this power,VW should have given rear disks too.Cost cutting?
The braking is fine when driving in a normal manner.But I am just not happy with the it when braking aggressively.
Old 25th June 2013, 00:17   #6268
BHPian

It is a bit comforting to see there are other Vento owners with similar questions in their mind. After having driven my Vento for 2000 km (1 month), I am getting more apprehensive about the "thud". I dread at the thought of potholes or speed breakers since the "thud" is a very uncomfortable noise. It almost feels like a free fall, zero gravity fall and then a rough thud. Any recommendations regarding how to over come this? At least not something I had expected from a vehicle in this category.

Also, as pointed out by a few members here, as opposed to how it "felt" at start, I find the vehicle a bit lethargic (mine is a 2013, 1 month old vehicle). Some how the turbo kick is not there as it was on the initial few days or am I imaging things here?

Also, can anyone confirm if they have excessive "sulfury" smelling exhaust fumes. I find it unbearable that these days I dont get out of the car for 2-3 minutes after switching the engine off . Is it something specific for VW ventos or something to do with common rail engines or is it with the fuel? (or is it something with me?).
Old 25th June 2013, 12:10   #6269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_risk View Post
Also, as pointed out by a few members here, as opposed to how it "felt" at start, I find the vehicle a bit lethargic (mine is a 2013, 1 month old vehicle). Some how the turbo kick is not there as it was on the initial few days or am I imaging things here?

Also, can anyone confirm if they have excessive "sulfury" smelling exhaust fumes. I find it unbearable that these days I dont get out of the car for 2-3 minutes after switching the engine off . Is it something specific for VW ventos or something to do with common rail engines or is it with the fuel? (or is it something with me?).
Since your car is only one month old, the most probable reasons for a lethargic performance could be 1) A clogged air filter. 2) Poor fuel quality.

Also, since your are complaining of 'sulphury' smelling exhaust fumes, it would be advisable to make sure you tank up at a reliable fuel station. Poor quality fuel could be responsible for both poor performance and smelly exhaust fumes. Just my two cents.

Regards
ASVA
Old 25th June 2013, 12:54   #6270
BHPian

I was facing a similar issue on the car performance.
Last weekend I took the car for oil top up to the service center, and also got the air filter cleaned up. The car performance is better than before. I have observed how they do the air filter cleaning, will do it after few thousand kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks