Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 22:07   #6211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Guys,could somebody here explain the infamous Vento "thud" issue.This is the issue we are facing,whenever we go over a speed-breaker or an undulation on the road at even moderate speeds,the rear wheels are off the ground.Now since the rear wheels are off the ground,braking effectiveness is reduced.On top of that,the ABS kicks in too early.We tried the brakes on another car and that had much better braking.

We are very clear we will not take the car back until it is looked into and certified by an engineer from VW.Could somebody please provide me with the email IDs/contact numbers of the top guys at VW.Dealing with the customer care is a frustrating experience!!
Have you tried driving another vento and compare the brakes? By the way the thud is a design flaw and us present in all ventoes. Surprisingly the baby sister polo does not have any thud. The extended wheelbase and the boot has screwed up the rear suspension. The only real check could be checking ur tyre pressure. If mostly travel alone or with co driver you can inflate front to 31 and rear to 29 psi. This reduces the thudding to some level but you can't eliminate it completely. A stiffer suspension should be VW priority to fix this or a more ambitious multilink rear would be yummy
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 05:19   #6212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post

Have you tried driving another vento and compare the brakes? By the way the thud is a design flaw and us present in all ventoes. Surprisingly the baby sister polo does not have any thud. The extended wheelbase and the boot has screwed up the rear suspension. The only real check could be checking ur tyre pressure. If mostly travel alone or with co driver you can inflate front to 31 and rear to 29 psi. This reduces the thudding to some level but you can't eliminate it completely. A stiffer suspension should be VW priority to fix this or a more ambitious multilink rear would be yummy
Yes i have tried driving an another Vento. While I could not test the THUD issue,I tested the brakes and they were much better. In my car, even under moderately heavy braking, the pedal kicks back (ABS kicking perhaps??)

Few questions/observations
1. The VW workshop here admits there is an issue with the suspension. Since the THUD issue is prevalent, I'm surprised by their claim that they are not aware of it. Are we talking about the same issue here?
2. Mileage takes a hit at 31psi all four wheels. It gives only 12 in the city!! How much does your car give??
3. How does one deal with unmarked speed brakers on the highway?? Atleast in my car the brakes are not good enough to bring the car to very low speeds. Ultimately there is an audible THUD and a disconcerting jerk over them!!
4. Lastly, what method for braking do you use?? Brake, then clutch or brake+clutch together??I do the former, I found the latter even less effective!!

Last edited by KINI : 4th June 2013 at 05:25.
Old 5th June 2013, 07:39   #6213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post

Yes i have tried driving an another Vento. While I could not test the THUD issue,I tested the brakes and they were much better. In my car, even under moderately heavy braking, the pedal kicks back (ABS kicking perhaps??)

Few questions/observations
1. The VW workshop here admits there is an issue with the suspension. Since the THUD issue is prevalent, I'm surprised by their claim that they are not aware of it. Are we talking about the same issue here?
2. Mileage takes a hit at 31psi all four wheels. It gives only 12 in the city!! How much does your car give??
3. How does one deal with unmarked speed brakers on the highway?? Atleast in my car the brakes are not good enough to bring the car to very low speeds. Ultimately there is an audible THUD and a disconcerting jerk over them!!
4. Lastly, what method for braking do you use?? Brake, then clutch or brake+clutch together??I do the former, I found the latter even less effective!!
The thud is prevalent problem. The issue happens on sharper breakers it can even happen at high speed if the road elevation changes rapidly. The sound is due to the recoil of the springs trying to get the rear tires back on ground.

I drive with 31 front 29 rear. Get 13-15 in city with Ac. My car has run 15000km. Mileage improves over time and stabilises. Especially after the first oil change.

I brake with clutch though the abs kicks in for me only when it's suppose to (gravel,wet) the vento brakes are for sure not the strongest. You always feel it has under power braking.
Old 5th June 2013, 08:39   #6214
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Guys,
Noticed a peculiar situation - everytime I switch of the car (irrespective of the A.C. being on or off), the moment I start the car again, the AC blower is at zero speed. Not sure if this has been the case all the time, but if memory severs me right, it wasn't the case earlier.

Do confirm if the same is happening in your car(s).
Old 5th June 2013, 08:53   #6215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Guys,
Noticed a peculiar situation - everytime I switch of the car (irrespective of the A.C. being on or off), the moment I start the car again, the AC blower is at zero speed. Not sure if this has been the case all the time, but if memory severs me right, it wasn't the case earlier.

Do confirm if the same is happening in your car(s).
No. Not happening in my car, it resumes from where it left off.
Old 5th June 2013, 15:17   #6216
BHPian

Ninjatalli, I assume that you aren't speaking about the auto climate control mode. In that mode (and my car is in that mode permanently) the fan speed depends on what the temperature in the cabin is. For example, in the morning at Bangalore, my car's fan is always at the lowest level and gradually builds up as I drive outside of the basement. However in the afternoon after the car has been parked in the sun, the fan starts at maximum and then moves down in speed. In either case it usually settles at position one or two after the base temp of 24 degrees is reached.

If one switches off the ACC, I am not sure what the behaviour is. Will check today and let you know.
Old 5th June 2013, 22:25   #6217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post

The thud is prevalent problem. The issue happens on sharper breakers it can even happen at high speed if the road elevation changes rapidly. The sound is due to the recoil of the springs trying to get the rear tires back on ground.

I drive with 31 front 29 rear. Get 13-15 in city with Ac. My car has run 15000km. Mileage improves over time and stabilises. Especially after the first oil change.

I brake with clutch though the abs kicks in for me only when it's suppose to (gravel,wet) the vento brakes are for sure not the strongest. You always feel it has under power braking.
Is the thud issue of Vento present in Rapid too? If not, does anyone here know what exactly is the difference that causes only Vento having this issue?
Old 5th June 2013, 22:34   #6218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique View Post

Is the thud issue of Vento present in Rapid too? If not, does anyone here know what exactly is the difference that causes only Vento having this issue?
Is in rapid too, have a friend that owns a rapid and has exact issue.
Old 6th June 2013, 10:21   #6219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique View Post
A possible reason is the addition of the boot to the original Polo. To account for the added weight it has to carry on the rear wheels, the suspension must have been raised slightly (as compared to the Polo), resulting in the thud for both Vento and Rapid.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 21:43   #6220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
Thanks for the suggestion below is the pic as to how high the stock wipers look from the steering wheel.

Attachment 1091869

Would it be possible for you to take a similar pic as above for comparison.
Sid, below is the image I took today which is from slight left side of the steering wheel. Pardon me for the late reply.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-08062013885.jpg
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2013, 09:38   #6221
BHPian

Friends, I had parked my vento for a month almost and when I started the car again yesterday, The ABS light did not switch off. I tried the wind shield spray and that did not work either. I got suspicious and opened the hood and saw rat droppings all over the engine.

I called VW helpline and they sent a flatbed and took it to ABRA motors. I was very pleased with the level of service I received.

1) The Service adviser has quoted me 2000 Rs for changing a wiring harness and yet to let me know about the wind shield wiper hose pipe

2) My car has done 8900 Kms in and was purchased July 30 2012. He is advising 1 yr (or 15000 Km) service now itself and has quoted 12000 Rs . He is also including engine flush in the service. Does this sound right? I have told him that I will get back to him on the service as I have 45 days more for 1 yr to elapse, but first work on the rat damage.

Kindly advice me on what I should do. (I have extended warranty , if that is of any use)

Thank you for your time

Ramachandran
Old 9th June 2013, 14:34   #6222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
1) The Service adviser has quoted me 2000 Rs for changing a wiring harness and yet to let me know about the wind shield wiper hose pipe
Ask for the bill of the parts changed and tell the SA that you wish to see the faulty parts which were changed. Also see if you could manage to get the pricing sticker which mentions the part number & price. So as to confirm that you were charged for the right part and price.

Quote:
2) My car has done 8900 Kms in and was purchased July 30 2012. He is advising 1 yr (or 15000 Km) service now itself and has quoted 12000 Rs . He is also including engine flush in the service. Does this sound right? I have told him that I will get back to him on the service as I have 45 days more for 1 yr to elapse, but first work on the rat damage.
Get the 1st service done on 30 July'13 or in the same week. Does not make sense to get service done 45 days earlier. SA is just acting smart to get more money in one shot. Post pone the service till you reach 1 year of ownership.

For 1st paid service get the following done
1. Engine oil
2. Oil filter
3. Air filter
4. Wheel alignment and rotation (Every 5000 kms)
5. Front and rear brake opening & cleaning
6. ECU VAS update
7. Car wash & wiper fluid (Your choice to get it done or not. Saves a cool Rs. 700 if not done)
8. Fuel filter (Change every 15000 Kms or 7500 Kms if fuel is high sulfur content.)

Engine flush is complete non sense and another way of milking the customer. Do not get it done. Waste of money.

SA may also advice to get car polish or air condition cleaning. Skip all these

Quote:
Kindly advice me on what I should do. (I have extended warranty , if that is of any use)
Extended warranty is always good to have on German cars.
Old 9th June 2013, 15:17   #6223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Friends, I had parked my vento for a month almost and when I started the car again yesterday, The ABS light did not switch off. I tried the wind shield spray and that did not work either. I got suspicious and opened the hood and saw rat droppings all over the engine.

I called VW helpline and they sent a flatbed and took it to ABRA motors. I was very pleased with the level of service I received.

Thank you for your time

Ramachandran
W.r.t to the service question, I'd let you decide. But if I were you, I'd prefer to get both (the harness/other changes and the servicing) done now; the additional effort of undergoing multiple visits to the service center twice is a bit of too much for my taking. But then if you can spare the time & effort, then get it done after 45 days. Your car isn't that much worked (only 9k kms done).

In addition & agreement to what Rohaan's stated above, I'd deviate on only a few points
- Wheel alignment/balancing is a extremely costly affair at VW - they charge more than double the cost of what it take at any reputed garage outside. I always get it done at a reputed FNG every 10k kms. Costs me 300 odd in comparison to 1k INR at VW.
- Front & rear brake cleaning - not required unless they demand it.

Also your average service cost should be 8-9k only (not including the wheel balancing cost).
Old 10th June 2013, 14:05   #6224
Senior - BHPian

Last week my Vento AT went for its first regular service at VW Whitefield. Some quick reflections:
  • Service bill - Rs. 12k (includes a broken part replacement worth Rs. 2.25k)
  • 4L of oil filled
  • Service Advisor - Mr. Chetan. Car was given in the morning (@10 am) and was ready for delivery by 3.00 pm
  • It was nicely cleaned and polished from outside at the time of delivery and interiors were cleaned as well (though work done could be marked as 8/10)
  • Asked them to touch up some of the ugly scars but it was not done.
  • Picked up extended warranty for Rs. 11.3k. They have different rates according to when the warranty is extended (0-12 months, 12-18 months and 18-24 months with the last one costs about Rs. 16k for the same thing)

It was decent experience (or what I felt that evening) till I realised a few things once I drove off -
  1. Right side indicator malfunction. The yellow/orange indicator bulb was not lighting and the indicator itself on the MID sounded abnormal (faster than usual).
  2. Average had come down drastically! Next morning I had to drive around 30km to my daughter's school (and back) and it returned around 6 kmpl!!! It used to be 10+ on same route under same conditions!

Called up Chetan and fixed up appointment next day. Miraculously by the time I went there, the average had returned to normal! So the only issue was the bulb not working. He looked at it and said the bulb might have gone kaput and needs replacement (price is Rs. 60). The car was taken in and after 5 mins he came and told it was just a loose connection!

Anyway, everything seems back to normal now. The car feels better to drive, brakes better. The only issue I had at the time of giving for the service was rattles on the left side. That is taken care by them and there are absolutely no rattles now. A proper, detailed report will follow soon on my own thread.
joslicx is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 15:16   #6225
BHPian

Hello Vento Owners,

Anyone tried other than Castrol engine oil in Vento . My Vento is due for Second service, planning to change the oil from castrol to Mobile1. Can anyone tell me which Mobil1 oil I need to buy. I beleive VW recommends VW 507 00 specifications for Vento do we have any other better brands with this specifications.

Thanks in Advance,

rashv

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks