Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2013, 14:09   #6091
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
It probably is the ABS like the VW guys told you. What you described seems to be the ABS kicking in. How many kms has your car run? It could be your tyres are getting worn out causing the ABS to kick in earlier, or possible the road surface hasn't been that great.
Akshay, the car's run just 2500 km so far so it couldnt possibly be the tyres. And so far the roads that I've been able to hit these kinda speeds is only on the outer ring road in Bangalore, which is (touchwood) in pretty great condition.

If it indeed is the ABS, shouldn't the slowdown be enhanced. Why does it feel like the car can't slowdown any further on an immediate basis? Let me elaborate - the last time this happened, I was driving on the ring road at about 110-120.. when all of a sudden, I saw a speed breaker coming up.. i hit the brakes really hard and that was when I heard the grinding noise. As soon as the grinding noise started, I looked at the speedometer to see that the car had slowed to about 80 but was kinda refusing to slow down any further (I was keeping my eye on the speedometer and the distance to the speed breaker alternatively). I let go of the brake pedal to try and hit it again, but by the point I was too late and ended up going over the speedbreaker at 75-80. No damage to the car thankfully except for the fact that the wheel alignment seems to have gone totally wonky, but it left me seriously shaken.
Old 27th April 2013, 14:15   #6092
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey645 View Post
Akshay, the car's run just 2500 km so far so it couldnt possibly be the tyres. And so far the roads that I've been able to hit these kinda speeds is only on the outer ring road in Bangalore, which is (touchwood) in pretty great condition.

If it indeed is the ABS, shouldn't the slowdown be enhanced. Why does it feel like the car can't slowdown any further on an immediate basis? Let me elaborate - the last time this happened, I was driving on the ring road at about 110-120.. when all of a sudden, I saw a speed breaker coming up.. i hit the brakes really hard and that was when I heard the grinding noise. As soon as the grinding noise started, I looked at the speedometer to see that the car had slowed to about 80 but was kinda refusing to slow down any further (I was keeping my eye on the speedometer and the distance to the speed breaker alternatively). I let go of the brake pedal to try and hit it again, but by the point I was too late and ended up going over the speedbreaker at 75-80. No damage to the car thankfully except for the fact that the wheel alignment seems to have gone totally wonky, but it left me seriously shaken.
Oh your car seems pretty new. Is this your first car with ABS? Because this is just how ABS is, you hear a noise and the brake pedal feels like you can't press it in anymore. Whereas actually it is stopping your wheels from skidding and keeping your car in control. Now in some situations where the road surface does not give good grip ABS may take longer to bring the car to a halt, but it does keep the car in control.

Going by what you say, you were pretty close to the speedbreaker when you spotted it, and ABS seems to have worked just fine. So don't worry yourself about it. But do get your alignment checked up.

Just to get yourself used to the way ABS behaves and feels, find an open road and brake hard maybe 2-3 times so it doesn't startle you the next time.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 15:23   #6093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Oh your car seems pretty new. Is this your first car with ABS?

Just to get yourself used to the way ABS behaves and feels, find an open road and brake hard maybe 2-3 times so it doesn't startle you the next time.
Thanks man! Will have the alignment checked out. Perhaps you're right, I just need to get used to it cause yes this is my first with ABS. Thanks for your help!
Old 27th April 2013, 22:20   #6094
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man! Will have the alignment checked out. Perhaps you're right, I just need to get used to it cause yes this is my first with ABS. Thanks for your help!
Sounds like ABS kick in. Yes, Vento has a weird feel when the ABS kicks-in, you can feel that on your brake pedal as if you are driving with pressing the brakes on gravel.

As akshay said try doing the same on a open road (maybe nice road) and let us know.
Chuchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 22:44   #6095
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I let go of the brake pedal to try and hit it again,
Its a common mistake people make the first time they feel ABS kick in. You should hold on to the brakes hard, and let the car figure out the least possible stopping distance for your conditions. If it didn't feel like slowing down much, probably your tyres would not have got enough grip on that road surface and hence the abs had to kick in.

By the way - if its outer ring road, i wouldn't recommend 110. I'm not being preachy about rules - just that there are way too many speed breakers with no visibility/ proper signs.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 09:57   #6096
BHPian

Quote:

I think this is a classic sample of the ABS kicking in. I wouldn't worry about it so much.

As a fellow user of the ORR on bangalore, would strongly advise you NOT to use this road as a test track. In no stretch of this road is a speed of 110km/hr safely possible. Kindly desist from being a danger to your own self (since you aren't yet familiar with this particular vehicle) or, more importantly, to your fellow road user. Hope you take this in the right spirit.
Old 28th April 2013, 13:08   #6097
Senior - BHPian

ABS/EBD kicking in will result in a pulsing which you can feel. It is distinct from a harsh grinding noise you discribe.

The noise is most probably due to dust/grit on the disk in front or drum at the back, especially if the noise is intermittent.

Next time try to figure out where the noise is coming from

. If from front, hose the front brake disks with water and then see if the noise comes back.

. If from back, clean the rear brake drum inner surface. You may have to dismantle the drums (an expensive matter if done at VW, but relatively inexpensive at an outside garage)

Though not recommended by many, but a short drive through 12" of water normally cleans the accumulated dirt on the pads. Be sure to slow down after going through water and pump the brakes a few times to expel the water and dry them out.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 15:08   #6098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I didn't get what you meant by "V1000 for Vento is 32".
4th gear, 1000 RPM speed is 32kmph. (V1000 for 4th gear)

Quote:
Eventually, okay. But only after the initial damage has happened, right?
You cant expect it to tell you everything. And relax, lugging a couple of times will not do any harm. Just make sure you dont do it all the time.

Quote:
Only a shorter 4th would allow me to use the 5th more, right?
Yep. When you get a 6th gear, you expect the 5th 4th and even 3rd to be shorter. In other words, close ratio gearbox.

Quote:
But thinking about it, why should I want to change gears just for the sake of changing.
Assuming you have a 6th gear.
Now if you change to 5th from 4th you would get better FE.
If you stick to 4th you would bet better response.

Bottomline, more the number of gears the better. Till it becomes difficult to manage.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 21:56   #6099
BHPian

I have updated my thread with projector headlight fitting experience in my Vento.
Old 29th April 2013, 23:11   #6100
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if this is a quirk or a miss, but the head unit can be switched on even without turning the ignition to the first position. Is it the same for fellow Ventonians? It remained on even after locking the doors; though, I've not checked whether it will turn off after much time.
Old 29th April 2013, 23:41   #6101
BHPian

Quote:
Don't know if this is a quirk or a miss, but the head unit can be switched on even without turning the ignition to the first position. Is it the same for fellow Ventonians? It remained on even after locking the doors; though, I've not checked whether it will turn off after much time.
This is feature. HU will turn off after 1 hour AFAIK. The HU will keep playing even you lock the door because the purpose of the feature is to enable in car entertain for people waiting inside a parked car and doors maybe locked in the parked car since they only lock from outside. AFAIK even the aftermarket HU also behaves the same way if fitted properly using matching coupler.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 29th April 2013 at 23:43.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 16:20   #6102
Senior - BHPian

It is time to update the insurance policy on my Vento. Presently I have a Zero dep policy from Tata AIG. Recently they called me up regarding renewal and have given me two quotes for the final premium (with the same cover as in present policy):
1. IDV = 760931 premium = 24409
2. IDV = 837024 premium = 26399

I've been granted a NCB of 20% here.

These look on the higher side to me. Has anybody recently gotten their insurance renewed? Any pointers for getting best deals? Also does it make sense to change insurer?
Old 30th April 2013, 16:59   #6103
Senior - BHPian

There is absolutely no harm in changing your insurer, just ensure you get your NCB transferred.

Ask Tata AIG for a detailed break up and then check online with other companies for premium for a policy with similar coverage and exclusions. That wil get you some very competitive quotes. If need be you can always go back to AIG and ask them to better their offer.

I too had a 0 dep policy from AIG complete with NCB protector clause and made 1 claim. They refused to renew under 0 dep even though 2 claims were allowed per policy period, so I switched to Royal Sundaram. I believe it was the NCB protector clause combined with the 50% discount on the Platinum package that scared them though they claim it was the age of my car @3 years complete and 4th beginning. I have read elsewhere on the forum regarding AIG renewing 0 dep poicies for the 4th year too.

Just FYI Royal Sundaram, Bharati AXA and Bajaj Allianz now offer 0 dep policy up to 5 years from the date of the invoice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
These look on the higher side to me. Has anybody recently gotten their insurance renewed? Any pointers for getting best deals? Also does it make sense to change insurer?
Old 30th April 2013, 17:55   #6104
Senior - BHPian

It's here -

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vento.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vento3.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vento2.jpg

Await a short report only on the additional features. As already so much has been discussed on this brilliant thread.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 18:53   #6105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
It's here -

Await a short report only on the additional features. As already so much has been discussed on this brilliant thread.
What did you buy Vento Limited edition? Petrol/Diesel? Its the Style variant correct?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks