Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 21:40   #5986
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Just took delivery of a Shadow Blue Vento TDI HL.Few observations and queries.
Note:I'm coming from a Cruze.

*Excellent build quality both inside and outside.But I feel the switchgear inside could have been more premium.Everything requires effort to operate.Front centre armrest is an ergonomic disaster.
*The left and right RVMs could have been a bit "TALLER."Will help while reversing.Lack of power mirror folding feature is hugely annoying.Parking sensors seem to be fine.
*Linear power delivery.Feels peppy.Torque monster??Not sure!!
*Steering is too light.Don't like it much.Reasonably direct.
*Excellent gearshift.Feels great in hand and is a joy to use.How do I shift from reverse to neutral??Just pull it??Or is there any special way??
*Excellent A/C but how do I switch it off??
*Headlights are inadequate.Even in city traffic.Headlights+foglamps make a decent combination.Planning to switch to Osram 100/80 with relay.I know a few of them have done it here,but a lot of Ventopians caution against messing with electrical stuff.I know I have asked this question before,but Ventopians(especially from Chennai),what's your opinion??
*Suspension seems to be tuned for comfort.Not sure how it will handle on the highways.

I have to say I had a great experience at Abra Motors.Mr.Subramani my SE was very well informed,courteous and honest in his dealings.He came all the way from the CIT Nagar branch to the Ambattur branch in peak traffic today evening for the delivery.He stayed back till 7 45 and explained all the features to us.He was sloppy a couple of times though,fixing up an appointment AT THE SHOWROOM and failing to turn up on Saturday and once earlier.But the other staff at Abra made up for it.I would rate Abra Motors at 7/10.

Last edited by KINI : 9th April 2013 at 21:43.
KINI is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 22:28   #5987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post

Congrats on the new car.
I too have focal speakers, they are good ones.
If you need any info you could check my thread.
Yes I have gone through your thread number of times. Planning to put in the Focal Integration series. Not adding an amplifier for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Upgrading the tyres to 195 have improved the steering feel, more closer to the Rapid feel now.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 10th April 2013 at 09:34. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 9th April 2013, 23:08   #5988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
The white vento arrived yesterday, upgraded the tyres to primacy today. Speakers upgrade to focal planned this weekend.

Some observations so far, the NVH levels are close to the Rapid. The new Vento sports a new antenna, similar to the new swift. The 1st gear is very short, driving in bumper to bumper traffic wasn't easy, hopefully will get used to it. The car pulls well even at 30 kmph in 3rd gear. I am not crossing 2k rpm for initial period.

What is the run-in process to be followed for vento tdi. Please suggest.
Can you click a pic of the new antenna?
Old 9th April 2013, 23:54   #5989
BHPian

Quote:
Front centre armrest is an ergonomic disaster.
My biggest peeve with both the Vento and the Rapid. Has anybody found an aftermarket solution for this or something? Wish it had a sliding function at the least so that it would get out of the way of the hand brake
Old 10th April 2013, 11:52   #5990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
My biggest peeve with both the Vento and the Rapid. Has anybody found an aftermarket solution for this or something? Wish it had a sliding function at the least so that it would get out of the way of the hand brake
I am used to it now, you will get used to it in a matter of three days. and then when you drive any other car, you will feel uncomfortable. Its ok, all the cars comes with their shares of high and lows, but this is something we can live with
Old 10th April 2013, 13:44   #5991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats for the new car.

To turn off AC you need to turn the knob twice, with a delay in between.

Refer to the Vento quirks and features thread also. Its excellent resource to know your Vento better.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...es-quirks.html

As for headlights, I think its better to go for 100/90. Theres even a DIY for that on el lobo's ownership thread. It should not be a big issue as far as warranty is concerned as most people anyway upgrade lights. Otherise you can try better bulbs like NBP+ or Philips Extremevision (I am personally using NBP+ in my Vento and its marginally better than stock lamps but not vastly superior).
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 14:54   #5992
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

A friend has booked Vento Diesel HL. He recd the VIN number from the Dealer but wants to make sure its a 2013 car.

If any one here can guide me, would be great

VIN : WVWA13606DT037178

Regards,

Sorry Found Wildons Thread. Posted there.

@MODS please deleted this post.

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 10th April 2013 at 14:56.
Old 11th April 2013, 10:16   #5993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post

Can you click a pic of the new antenna?
The new antenna on the vento.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image328048769.jpg
Old 13th April 2013, 09:23   #5994
BHPian

Quote:

*Excellent build quality both inside and outside.But I feel the switchgear inside could have been more premium.Everything requires effort to operate.Front centre armrest is an ergonomic disaster.
*The left and right RVMs could have been a bit "TALLER."Will help while reversing.Lack of power mirror folding feature is hugely annoying.Parking sensors seem to be fine.
*Linear power delivery.Feels peppy.Torque monster??Not sure!!
*Excellent gearshift.Feels great in hand and is a joy to use.How do I shift from reverse to neutral??Just pull it??Or is there any special way??
*Headlights are inadequate.Even in city traffic.Headlights+foglamps make a decent combination.Planning to switch to Osram 100/80 with relay.I know a few of them have done it here,but a lot of Ventopians caution against messing with electrical stuff.I know I have asked this question before,but Ventopians(especially from Chennai),what's your opinion??
*Suspension seems to be tuned for comfort.Not sure how it will handle on the highways.

I have to say I had a great experience at Abra Motors.Mr.Subramani my SE was very well informed,courteous and honest in his dealings.He came all the way from the CIT Nagar branch to the Ambattur branch in peak traffic today evening for the delivery.He stayed back till 7 45 and explained all the features to us.He was sloppy a couple of times though,fixing up an appointment AT THE SHOWROOM and failing to turn up on Saturday and once earlier.But the other staff at Abra made up for it.I would rate Abra Motors at 7/10.
Congratulations on your new car!

You could also look at upgrading stock headlights to bi-xenon HID projectors(all inclusive cost around 20k). My ownership thread has the relevant details and few pictures. I upgraded to this option after two years and ODO 44k but regretted that i should have done that much earlier as the way its done today is really clean fitting with no wire cuts to ensure non void warranty.

Few points on comparison between high wattage bulbs vs. HID :
1- Though high wattage bulb fittment with relays will cost you drastically lesser(1/5 times at least) but HID lights will give you much better light throw like our expensive cars have, longer live, lesser power consumption and HID don't get heat up with few hours of night drive.
2- Goa police and also in some other states traffic cops have already started to challan upgraded high wattage bulbs(white) with just the relays setting. Reason being the throw from an upgraded bulb without projector is much wider hence very uncomfortable for approaching traffic. So why not do a safe fitting once and for all? Just because projectors cost 20k they aren't preferred as its an accessory and not a dire need as not all people drive so much at night and have different requirement.

I will recommend HID projectors over high wattage bulbs with relays. I have driven continuous night hours many a times now and trust me with no issues and amazing brightness view. Its different!
Old 13th April 2013, 09:56   #5995
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Congratulations! Looking forward for an ownership review. With the continuous updates over the past year or so, the Vento Highline now looks an excellent package in the segment (probably the top pick).

I have a small suggestion though – try using the car in stock form for a while. Often I see folks buy a Vento and start changing stuff from day 1 (upates to headlights, tyre change etc.). Especially if you come from a different brand/car, the experience maybe different. Give some time to settle in, know the car better, and then make the updates if needed.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 10:43   #5996
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new car, my favorite color choice too. As someone who has experienced both the vento as well as the cruze your comments have been spot on and I tend to agree with them.

Steering feel has always been an concern for me, however learnt to live with it after a while. Direct steering helps to an extent though. I had terrible time with tyre upgrades, and all those have been well documented in the vento threads.

I never found the headlights inadequate, and I need to tell you that I had 90/100 setup on both my ikon and swift before moving upto the vento. Could be a factor of my age may be!!!

And glad to note your experience with abra motors, I haven't heard of many good stories, so pick your service center with caution. Well documented in the other threads about their business practices, I suggest you look upto sundaram for your maintenance requirements. ( high time chennai gets its third choice of a VW dealer)

Many congratulations again and wishing you a very memorable ownership experience.

Quote:

To
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 11:01   #5997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

I have a small suggestion though – try using the car in stock form for a while. Often I see folks buy a Vento and start changing stuff from day 1 (upates to headlights, tyre change etc.). Especially if you come from a different brand/car, the experience maybe different. Give some time to settle in, know the car better, and then make the updates if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Congratulations on your new car, my favorite color choice too. As someone who has experienced both the vento as well as the cruze your comments have been spot on and I tend to agree with them.

Steering feel has always been an concern for me, however learnt to live with it after a while. Direct steering helps to an extent though. I had terrible time with tyre upgrades..
Thanks for your wishes.The reason I'm keen on upgrading to 100/90 is because I drive on the Chennai bypass.In addition to the "hidden" lorries,there are many two wheelers and pedestrians crossing from one side of the road to another during night time.This is an elevated toll way mind you!!The 100/80 Osram ones that I have fitted on my Cruze help me detect them MUCH earlier.On the Vento,the headlights on their own are inadequate.But use along with the fog lamps and they are pretty decent.

The biggest drawback of the Vento is the steering actually.Now I don't know how the Cruze stacks up with other cars in its segment,but I am pretty happy with it.The Vento is very light and scary while switching lanes.I don't like it much at parking speeds either.

But power delivery on the Vento is very good.One can make quick progress if one wishes to.There is a lot of drama while flooring the accelarator.

This is going to be our beater car.Not planning on any mods as of now.Might upgrade the headlamps after a month.Three or four months down the line,I might add a processor and upgrade the speakers.I don't plan on pushing this car much,so the tyres stay!!

Last edited by KINI : 13th April 2013 at 11:05.
KINI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 11:25   #5998
Senior - BHPian

Just booked a Vento TDI Highline, Reflex Silver, yesterday for my brother-in-law - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post3092696

I had a look inside the a standing Highline variant and saw that they have now replaced the OE HU to RCD 320 with Bluetooth BUT they have omitted the Park Distance Controller display that used to come on the previous generation's ICE display. Now only audible warning remains. This is an important omission which prospective customers should be aware about. Though personally I rely mostly on sound from the PDC while reversing in my Superb and the Fortuner (which doesn't have the display in any case).

The RCD 320 looks like this
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-centralmultmidiarcd3202dinoriginalvwjettapasstigu_mlbo3579304383_122012.jpg

The RCD 220 (without bluetooth) on the Comfortline variant looks something like this. Notice the Phone button is replaced by the Mute button -
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-737468.jpg

The New Vento (2013) brochure - http://www.volkswagenlive.in/volkswa..._ebrochure.pdf

Quote:
Just took delivery of a Shadow Blue Vento TDI HL
Congratulations KINI. What was the headunit that you got in your Highline? Does it have Park Distance Display and Blueooth or is one of these features missing?

Last edited by Eddy : 14th April 2013 at 13:44. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 12:44   #5999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
BUT they have omitted the Park Distance Controller display that used to come on the previous generation's ICE display.
The Reverse park distance display is indeed omitted in the new ICE. It is a single most important feature (at least for me.). I find it quite useful parking in tight corners, as rear visibility is an issue for me. I was ambitious that newer versions should give distance from obstacle on all sides, but, hey, they have done away with even the original one, so. !

I had the choice when I got my vento last month and I opted for the one with that display feature, at the cost of new RCD.

aside: are upgrades always useful ?
Old 13th April 2013, 12:45   #6000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The RCD 310 (without bluetooth) on the Comfortline variant looks something like this. Notice the Phone button is replaced by the Mute button
I got a 2013 Comfortline with RCD220 (no bluetooth but USB present)! Was it 310 on earlier Comfortlines? Is there a much difference between the 310 and the 220?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks