Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2013, 12:26   #5896
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Nilesh, truly the pics are shocking and you are lucky that you changed these before any untoward incident happened. The brake pads are completely worn off , they should be replaced way before it reaches that stage - there has to be some amount of lining left.
Hmmm. Is that the reason why the pads must have cracked up? The lining must have worn off and the metal must have taken the beating. But strangely, I have not observed any loss in braking power over this whole one year.

Quote:
I have a feeling that the VW supplied brake pads wear off much faster than that I have experienced in my earlier cars (from the Maruti stable) thus it calls for some adjustment from our end. The brake pads in my vanto last around 20,000 km with my driving style
Yes, and that seems quite evident with the amount of brake dust one has to clear after a long trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
This is shocking, I have got the brake pads as well as brake disc changed, but the break pads were not in this condition. I think you should take up the matter with VW. considering the amount of Mumbai Bangalore mileage that you do, I think this past is one of THE most important part in the car.
Yes, most of my miles have been clocked on highways so brakes are very important. Would be good to see what is the limit of wear one should wait for before replacing the brake pads. Then, will take it up with VW.
Old 25th March 2013, 13:31   #5897
BHPian

Is there any improvement in the NVH levels in Vento after the launch of Rapid. I personally did not find much difference after the test drive over the weekend . Any changes in the suspension setup?

We are on the verge of picking one of these or a Duster
Old 25th March 2013, 14:18   #5898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Is there any improvement in the NVH levels in Vento after the launch of Rapid. I personally did not find much difference after the test drive over the weekend . Any changes in the suspension setup?

We are on the verge of picking one of these or a Duster
Personally, there is no difference between Vento and Rapid NVH level. Both the cars use the same material, same assembly to get produced. There is theoretically no difference in the NVH and the Setup.

The only difference which i could think of is the allow wheel design ( which i dont think make a difference) and the Front nose grill (may be it deflects the sound in a much better way than the narrower Vento face)

Duster is a safer bet for indian roads (thanks to the pseudo SUV design + large Hatchback ease). The only flip side would be the hard clutch - do check this before finalizing (may be they have fixed it recently) and the interior quality.

- I really dont like the rear fan blower.
- Power window button placement below hand brake.
- slighly low on power (especially the 80PS)

rest all is awesome in the Duster.
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 15:55   #5899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Personally, there is no difference between Vento and Rapid NVH level. Both the cars use the same material, same assembly to get produced. There is theoretically no difference in the NVH and the Setup.
The NHV levels of the rapid was better.
I'm not sure whether any changes have been made in the latest facelift models.

Check the official review of the Rapid for confirmation :-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What surprised us was not the performance, but the NVH levels. Having driven a Vento just 2 days prior to the Rapid, the difference in NVH levels left us wondering if these cars are really the same underneath. Where the Vento engine’s clatter was audible at medium speeds and even more so above 3000 rpm, the Rapid was eerily silent (once warmed up, of course). There was no diesel thrum even at 3000 rpm, when cruising north of 130 kph. This was in stark contrast to the Vento where we could hear the diesel working under the hood at any speed. The next day, we took a ride in the Yeti, and were shocked to see much worse NVH compared to Rapid. It appears that Skoda has spent a lot of time & attention on the Rapid's NVH insulation.
Old 25th March 2013, 16:00   #5900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
The NHV levels of the rapid was better.
I'm not sure whether any changes have been made in the latest
The moderators who reviewed the Rapid had told that the Vento they test drove was the old one from initial lots, if one test drives the rapid and face lifted vento he can clearly make out that the NVH is same.

Where the difference lies is the suspension set up, Rapid is on the stiffer side and behaves better on undulations but the downside is that you can feel every single bump and stone.

A Vento owner had posted that the newer Vento came with 3W3 noise suppression and its the same with Rapid.
Old 25th March 2013, 16:44   #5901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
There is theoretically no difference in the NVH and the Setup.
That is my opinion as well. But from what the reviews mention over the net, Rapid is better in both these aspects. Just wondering if these can be the deal breakers. As of now we are getting the Vento and Rapid at the same price. With Vento having more usable features like Bluetooth, Steering controls, reverse parking and leatherette seats

Quote:
- Power window button placement below hand brake.
I found that really difficult to operate with the hand which rests. have to use the opposite hand always
Old 25th March 2013, 19:14   #5902
BHPian

just Checked some of the oler posts that seem to confirm that Vento got upgrade for the NHV as well as the suspension setup. So Vento wins between the 2 sisters. Now For the final battle between Duster and Vento. Mostly Vento will win due to delivery schedules
Old 26th March 2013, 00:54   #5903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Hmmm. Is that the reason why the pads must have cracked up? The lining must have worn off and the metal must have taken the beating. But strangely, I have not observed any loss in braking power over this whole one year.
The braking force should be provided by the lining which is asbestos in this case if I am not mistaken. Apart from being a material which resists distortion it is also a bad conductor of heat so in normal circumstances the brake pad has to be cooled by the air flowing .
In your case , it was the metal surface which was providing the braking force which generated a lot of heat as expected and the heat distorted the metal creating stress fracture. Under severe braking it would have failed completely and / or damaged your brake discs
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 13:04   #5904
Senior - BHPian

I need to renew the insurance on my 2011 Vento. Completing two years shortly. ICICI called up with a quote of 15K for vehicle value of 7.5 lakhs, Is this fine?
Old 27th March 2013, 13:13   #5905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I need to renew the insurance on my 2011 Vento. Completing two years shortly. ICICI called up with a quote of 15K for vehicle value of 7.5 lakhs, Is this fine?
Try Bharti Axa online. They have got discounts for online renewals.
Old 27th March 2013, 13:34   #5906
BHPian

Quote:
Go for Bajaj Allianz zero dep which is much better. Bump up your vehicle value if you can
Old 28th March 2013, 00:50   #5907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mate, I also have mine with ICICI Lombard for the last 2 years . It was renewed in Feb this year and I was surprised when the online quote allowed me to renew it with zero dep for the 3rd year . My quote came to be 19364/- which included an amount of 5116 /- for zero dep, a reduction of 3143 / - for NCB. IDV is 665,000. Hope it helps
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 11:08   #5908
BHPian

Vento has been decided as the replacement Car. Initially we were looking to pick it up before 1st April. But have now decided to postpone the purchase till we sell our old Verna.
Old 28th March 2013, 11:16   #5909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Vento has been decided as the replacement Car. Initially we were looking to pick it up before 1st April. But have now decided to postpone the purchase till we sell our old Verna.
Why didn't you go for the fluidic? Just a query! What color vento?
Old 28th March 2013, 12:15   #5910
BHPian

After a dilemma over white or grey, I have finally booked a White Vento TDI HL, which would be delivered next week.

I have planned to only upgrade the speakers to Focals and retain the stock 320 HU.

I am still thinking whether I should change the tyres to either Yokos or Bridgestone. Any suggestions from Vento owners ?

Last edited by mikilbhatkar : 28th March 2013 at 12:17. Reason: Extra blank lines were added.

Most Viewed