Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2013, 22:33   #5746
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hi Champs.

I own a 2012 Model Vento TDI Highline and done around 9000KM as of now in 5 months. Is it recommended to do a General Checkup and any idea how much they charge for it?(of course guys, I am also a victim of a Brocken sump guard and, my hairs stood up when I heard the price for getting it replaced. I somehow managed to tie up the Brocken one safely back but a weekly checkup on the same is almost my routine task now). I do not drive in a dusty environment but still is it a good plan to get air filter cleaned?

LOTHAR
Old 9th February 2013, 10:18   #5747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Thanks Joey645 Weiß Ritter - So, it is White knight ! Delivery expected in about two weeks. My booking amount has already been deducted today, so that part they have done fast. I hope they do the remaining needful stuff fast enough
Congratulations, stringbh! Do put up your ownership review! Yet to see an ownership review for the MY13 Ventos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey645 View Post
ASVA thanks for the clarification. However, I don't get any other mileage reading options (tried five cycles with no luck), and even the distance to empty keeps showing 5-6 different distances in a 10 second span. And it's not subtly different on that either. It shows 22km, 163km, 305km, 452km and 510km! Maybe the MID needs to be re-calibrated or something?
Watch out for the phi symbol when cycling through the menu. The phi symbol gives the average mileage and the average speed for the current journey.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_0455.jpg
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 11:00   #5748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Vento Oldies ,
What's up with your car(s)! Did you sell them off? Or gone off to a different country like @bala80? Some of your threads haven't been updated since mid 2012!

Now I know a few of you (for e.g. @souravc) have been doing a lot of kms; but it's 'bout time you guys chipped in on your ownership threads with an update
Did you call me an oldie or my car an oldie ? If its the former , then Mumbai becomes a no-go zone for you
Sorry , I know an update is overdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Friends, I need your advise on tire upgrades. When you guys change from the 185/60/R/15 profile to 205/55/R/15 what do you do for the the spare wheel. As I understand the spare wheel in its current avatar can substitute one of the wheels if we use the default profile. But after a upgrade wont this be an issue unless one changes the spare too (if so what was the spare wheel upgrade). Also does changing the profile affect suspension warranty (I would assume).
Even in the strictest of terms , changing the spare does not affect the warranty in anyway till you maintain 185/60 profile . As someone said , the spare is only meant to go to the nearest shop so when you upgrade to 205/55 it would be a bit of a overkill if you upgrade the spare too . I have upgraded my tyres to 195/60 and once there was a sidewall rupture due to which the spare had to be put on the front left. I had to drive 300 km because there was no good enough tyre shop . Driving wise the difference was that the steering was pulling slightly towards the left but it was so slight that you may not even notice it . This was 195/60 vs spare .. 205/55 vs the spare it should be even less perceptible .
souravc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 11:09   #5749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
Hmm, when you have the time, a pic would be really appreciated.
My car's crack ain't that huge, but what am worried bout more is the paint staring to chip around the area.
Hi NegativeH,

Heres the picture of the "repaired" bumper for your ref. As you can see , the crack is a hairline fracture now with feviquick being used to hold the two sides closer to each other. But sadly, in the application process of the gum, the area has become dirty , will clean it with turpentine oil when we have time.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img2013020900058.jpg  

Old 9th February 2013, 14:56   #5750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Watch out for the phi symbol when cycling through the menu. The phi symbol gives the average mileage and the average speed for the current journey.

Attachment 1048831
Thanks nileshch. I looked for it and that symbol was not there nor could I find the individual tripmeter that was shown on the Vento quirks thread as suggested by joslicx.

For lack of options, I called the VW guys and they said that they ll probably need to run a check on the ECU and update it at no extra charge since the car is only a week old. Am going over there later today so hopefully that should resolve this issue!

Last edited by joey645 : 9th February 2013 at 14:58.
Old 9th February 2013, 16:59   #5751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Did you call me an oldie or my car an oldie ? If its the former , then Mumbai becomes a no-go zone for you
Sorry , I know an update is overdue
Hahaha! you had to be really offended by that comment to come back after you went into exile! Yes an update is due! How are the CPCs holding up on your Vento?

Ninja, watch out when you cross Chembur next time!

Last edited by nileshch : 9th February 2013 at 17:05.
Old 9th February 2013, 17:22   #5752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
lol - I don't think I want to answer that question

Quote:
Ninja, watch out when you cross Chembur next time!
Oh, yes - I am going to keep a sharp eye-out for every silver Vento I see on the road for this weekend for sure!
Old 9th February 2013, 19:52   #5753
Senior - BHPian

Folks whats the situation with the brake pads ? My first brake pad change happened around the 22K - 23K kms mark and the other day while getting my wheel balanced / aligned I was told that my brake pads need to be changed again so the second set is gone in 17K - 18K kms which is surprising .

Quote:
How are the CPCs holding up on your Vento?
Nilesh, I am mighty pleased with the CPC2s - its a strong , fairly silent , grippy tyre. I have had a few incidents where the car went over a hole with a loud thud , unfortunately Mumbai has quite a lot of these idiotic holes which jumps on you and you cannot avoid these if you are not absolutely familiar with the road. From my earlier experience with the C drives I could have bet that the sidewalls in the C drives would have given away in these kind of incidents but with the CPC2s there has been no issue so far.
Incidentally, I am toying with the idea of using CPC2 in the front and C drives in the rear for my next tyre change ( which is still quite a long way off) because all said and done I found sidewall strength to be the only chink in the armour of C drives else they are the most silent of the lot and come out with flying colours in all other aspects including tyre wear ( I have one on the rear which is hitting the 25,000 km mark and the treads are fine ).
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 22:54   #5754
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks nileshch. I looked for it and that symbol was not there nor could I find the individual tripmeter that was shown on the Vento quirks thread as suggested by joslicx.

For lack of options, I called the VW guys and they said that they ll probably need to run a check on the ECU and update it at no extra charge since the car is only a week old. Am going over there later today so hopefully that should resolve this issue!
If that's not there then you are in meter 1. Did you try changing to meter 2 by pressing the reset button at the bottom of the RHS control stalk (the one used for wiper control)? Please refer to the manual for further details.
Old 10th February 2013, 02:58   #5755
BHPian

hi

Is the chrome strip on the vento's boot available separately? and also the one on the front bumper (between the fog lights)?
Old 10th February 2013, 07:47   #5756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
hi

Is the chrome strip on the vento's boot available separately? and also the one on the front bumper (between the fog lights)?
Yes, the boot strip is easily available over the counter. Not sure about the front chrome. But you can always buy the 6inch 3M chrome strip.
Old 10th February 2013, 11:46   #5757
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, stringbh! Do put up your ownership review! Yet to see an ownership review for the MY13 Ventos!
sure ! I will do my best to summarize my experience. There are already such good ownership reviews on this forum, i am certain, it will take more than some good effort to write a nice one

Quote:
Nilesh, I am mighty pleased with the CPC2s - its a strong , fairly silent , grippy tyre.

Souravc, what is the profile of your CPC2s ? I checked your thread, but missed that info.
Old 10th February 2013, 12:07   #5758
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1048831
I wasnt aware that the symbol was called 'phi' Thanks!

Quote:
Were you able to visit the VW service center and rectify the problem? What exactly was the problem? Please do keep us updated.

Regards
Old 11th February 2013, 12:52   #5759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
If that's not there then you are in meter 1. Did you try changing to meter 2 by pressing the reset button at the bottom of the RHS control stalk (the one used for wiper control)? Please refer to the manual for further details.
Crank yeah it didn't have meter 2. On the MID, i got only three options - temperature and time, fuel consumption and distance to empty. Turned out to be a ECU software glitch which VW updated and fixed for me over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASVA View Post

Were you able to visit the VW service center and rectify the problem? What exactly was the problem? Please do keep us updated.

Regards

The problem appeared to be the ECU software. They took it in to the service floor, did an upgrade and presto - everything was as it should be!

The only thing I failed to understand was how it could be that a dec '12 manufactured car can have the old version of any software! That part didn't make sense and they couldn't explain it either.
Old 11th February 2013, 13:13   #5760
BHPian

Quote:
The problem appeared to be the ECU software. They took it in to the service floor, did an upgrade and presto - everything was as it should be!

The only thing I failed to understand was how it could be that a dec '12 manufactured car can have the old version of any software! That part didn't make sense and they couldn't explain it either.
It may not necessarily be an old version of software as older Ventos which were running on older versions of the software didn't really have the kind of problem that you faced. It most likely could be a case of the new software itself facing an issue/ software 'bug' in your particular case. They must have re-flashed the ECU with the software, hence solving the problem .

Anyways, all's well that ends well. Good to know things are sorted out. Enjoy your Vento!

Regards
ASVA is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks