Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 12:24   #5716
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

@Nicky, If you had owned the old Vento which I, Ninja, Bala, Newton and quiet a few early posters in this thread had you might realize what I am saying. The clutch used to be super hard and it at least took me 3K Kms on the ODO before it eased up. Even after that you used to hear a sound (a "woosh" to best put it). After a while VW issued a bulletin to replace the clutch pipe/hose which fixed problems for a lot of owners. The later models (probably from Mid 2012) had this fixed in factory. Now that I have had the experience of a hard clutch in the old one, I find the new one quiet relaxing on my knees. There is no physical changes to clutch parts but its a case of probably faulty design being replaced with better ones (search this thread, someone had posted about the design fault in the old pipes if I remember correctly).

If you have any other information on this, it would be good if you can share it.

BTW, I find the horn in the new model quiet loud, Its not the subtle European style horn that my older Vento carried. I hate loud horns.
Old 5th February 2013, 13:53   #5717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Nicky - can you confirm if the new clutch pipe can help ?

I am planning for upgrading to new clutch pipe under warranty (+ the seat frames/engine mounts/gearbox mounts)

Need your advice.
New Clutch hose pipe will solve your issues like clutch vibrations & abnormal noise if any.
this has nothing to do with clutch hardness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
@Nicky, If you had owned the old Vento
i had all 3 generation vento cars diesel and petrol (just believe this). i agree that there were problems like abnormal noise and vibrations in clutch.
also the clutch was hard. all these issues are faced by myself also.

new hose pipe was implemented to eliminate noise and vibrations on priority basis.

clutch is reported hard but this is how the design is.

Mods: Please merge

Last edited by Nicky : 5th February 2013 at 14:13.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 15:43   #5718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post

New Clutch hose pipe will solve your issues like clutch vibrations & abnormal noise if any.
this has nothing to do with clutch hardness.
Thanks - what about engine mounts? Hydraulic? What about gearbox mounts? And lastly the secret steering fix? Do you know the story behind these fixes?
Old 5th February 2013, 15:44   #5719
BHPian

Friends, I need your advise on tire upgrades. When you guys change from the 185/60/R/15 profile to 205/55/R/15 what do you do for the the spare wheel. As I understand the spare wheel in its current avatar can substitute one of the wheels if we use the default profile. But after a upgrade wont this be an issue unless one changes the spare too (if so what was the spare wheel upgrade). Also does changing the profile affect suspension warranty (I would assume).

Don't ask me what I did last time, I had updated the RIMS to HRS HiJoin (including the spare), so all wheels had 195/60/R/15 BridgeStone Turanza ER60 shod on them. I cant do the same on the current car, as its under company lease and changing a alloy would be painful task.
Old 5th February 2013, 15:55   #5720
BHPian

I know that you already must have taken your vehicle. Better late than never. my answers in line
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASVA View Post
1) I have issues with my clutch being hard and lots of vibrations, guessing the clutch hose needs to be changed (under warranty) to the new one. do we have to push them for it or do they do it willingly?
Typically, dealers would replace them without you asking for it. This happened in my case where the SA didnt have any idea about seat replacement. SA's reply was "they (service mechanics) would connet the laptop to your car and will do whatever is necessary". But when I came back to collect the car, SA informed me that they had replaced the seat frame.
Quote:
2) Is there any particular SA/Technician at the service station who you recommend that I approach. This would help me a great deal.
I dont think you would have the option to approach a particular SA. They typically assign a random SA to you.
The SA whom I interacted, his name is Sunil Kumar.
Quote:
3)Why exactly was the seat assembly changed?
It seems there was a rusting issue with the frame. hence they changed it. I would welcome this move from the company, wherein we atleast know that company takes a proactive approach to solve the issues. In case of other manufacturers, atleast in India, I havent heard a case where they voluntarily replaced the parts.
Quote:
4) I am experiencing excessive suspension noise filtering inside the cabin (the 'Thud' and some kind of metallic noise). did u experince the same too? any suggestions to have it rectified?
No. Not sure how!.
Quote:
5)Do I need to get any ECU software updates done?
All these updates would happen automatically without you asking for it. Only updates you might want to specifically ask is any VAG features like speed sensing auto lock etc (in case you havent dont these). Look for "user discovered features of Vento" in this forum. First few pages contains an exhaustive list of features you might want to look at.

Quote:
6)Any other thing/s I need to get done?
Not sure what else can be done for first service.
anToNIcHeN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 16:04   #5721
Senior - BHPian

I think the engine, clutch and general refinement is not that great in a Vento. It will be so without having any problems. So we need to temper our expectations during service and warranty works
Old 5th February 2013, 16:48   #5722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Thanks - what about engine mounts? Hydraulic? What about gearbox mounts? And lastly the secret steering fix? Do you know the story behind these fixes?
get the engine mounts changed asap. if you do not have any issues with gear box mount (some vibrations) then don't touch it.

Steering fix is something which i have no info about. this might be some rare customer specific case.

story behind any fix is the customer feedback and OEM's action on it. nothing more.
Old 5th February 2013, 18:13   #5723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
I know that you already must have taken your vehicle. Better late than never. my answers in line
Yup. Gave it this morning.

Quote:
Typically, dealers would replace them without you asking for it. This happened in my case where the SA didnt have any idea about seat replacement. SA's reply was "they (service mechanics) would connet the laptop to your car and will do whatever is necessary". But when I came back to collect the car, SA informed me that they had replaced the seat frame.
I requested the SA and a senior tech to replace the clutch hose and engine mounts. Got the same 'connect the laptop' reply from them. Hope they replace both. Not too particular abt seat frame replacement though.

Quote:
I dont think you would have the option to approach a particular SA. They typically assign a random SA to you.
The SA whom I interacted, his name is Sunil Kumar.
Sir! would you believe the co-incidence!! Sunil Kumar was the SA assigned to me too!! Pretty heplful chap and when I complained about the clutch and suspension problems, he called a 'Senior Quality Inspector' (atleast that's what he told me) Mr. Alesh who took the car on a longish test drive. Alesh too came across as a pretty pro-active and helpful gentleman. I requested him to personally look into the issues and see that the clutch hose and engine mounts were changed. He said he would do all that is necessary and asked me not to worry.

Quote:
It seems there was a rusting issue with the frame. hence they changed it. I would welcome this move from the company, wherein we atleast know that company takes a proactive approach to solve the issues. In case of other manufacturers, atleast in India, I havent heard a case where they voluntarily replaced the parts.
Seems like VW in general and Palace Cross in particular, are trying to do their best.

Quote:
All these updates would happen automatically without you asking for it. Only updates you might want to specifically ask is any VAG features like speed sensing auto lock etc (in case you havent dont these). Look for "user discovered features of Vento" in this forum. First few pages contains an exhaustive list of features you might want to look at.
Have requested for software updates. Alesh said it will be done if necessary and will be able to find out only once the car is hooked up to their laptop.

Quote:
Not sure what else can be done for first service.
They said they can give the car only tomorrow coz of the quantum of work to be done. Hoping they would do all required and a good job at that.

I really appreciate you responding to my queries. Thanks a ton mate!

Regards
Old 6th February 2013, 12:14   #5724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Steering fix is something which i have no info about. this might be some rare customer specific case.

story behind any fix is the customer feedback and OEM's action on it. nothing more.
But I was told that this was part of a company wide campaign where they are actually putting a plastic tube/sheath over a certain wire in the steering column to prevent it from getting cut or damaged in any way. Was I misinformed by my SA at OSL Exclusive? However I don't mind if there is a protective layering applied to any electrical wire as I was told that for some customers this wire was found to damaged.
Old 6th February 2013, 12:16   #5725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
But I was told that this was part of a company wide campaign where they are actually putting a plastic tube/sheath over a certain wire in the steering column to prevent it from getting cut or damaged in any way. Was I misinformed by my SA at OSL Exclusive? However I don't mind if there is a protective layering applied to any electrical wire as I was told that for some customers this wire was found to damaged.
it might be like this. i have no idea about steering column thing.
Old 6th February 2013, 15:40   #5726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post
there is no indentation in the bumper , but the top portion of the bumper( where it integrated into the lower boot) had developed a crack of about 18 inches length.
Similar thing happened to me.
Last evening, while I was reversing my car, I banged into an angled wall.
I was at probably 5-7 KMPH; and struck the edge of the wall. My initial guess was that it'd probably be just a chip or a scratch.
But when I finally saw it, I almost cried out. Blame it on the Euro standard crumple zones, I guess.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20130205-19.36.32.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-20130205-19.36.43.jpg

I don't think it's big enough for a bumper change; probably some dry denting and smoothening should suffice. Did you get yours done Saaicon?

Last edited by negativeH : 6th February 2013 at 15:42.
Old 6th February 2013, 17:29   #5727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I have given my car to service today. I was told about the seat frame campaign. But this steering column thing sounds scary. I don't want them to muck about with the steering column. Hyundai did on it my i10 and even after 3 re-retries, the steering feel is completely messed up. There is no weigh up with speed at all. It's slightly heavy at slow speeds and remains the same throughout.
Old 6th February 2013, 19:03   #5728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
I don't think it's big enough for a bumper change; probably some dry denting and smoothening should suffice. Did you get yours done Saaicon?
I did it muself with the help of two of my office drivers by using Feviquick

The crack line is still there , but it is diminished. ( there was a gap inside the crack earlier , which is not there now) I wish I could post a picture but do not have it now.

since I have NIL DEP insurance, I checked with VW Deccan on claiming insurance and changing the bumper . Surprisingly the SA told that I still need to pay 2500 as "processing fees" to get bumper replaced under nil dep. Bumper cost is 4500 + 6000 for painting+ labour. Since u can claim under NIl Dep only twice per year, if u decide to claim under regular insurance u need to pay 50% of the cost which comes to around 4500

I decided not to claim it for now and am driving with the cracked bumper. I have some concerns on safety through as the bumper will be able to do its job of absorbing a impact in this cracked state.
Old 6th February 2013, 19:11   #5729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post
I did it muself with the help of two of my office drivers by using Feviquick
Hmm, when you have the time, a pic would be really appreciated.

Quote:
since I have NIL DEP insurance, I checked with VW Deccan on claiming insurance and changing the bumper . Surprisingly the SA told that I still need to pay 2500 as "processing fees" to get bumper replaced under nil dep.
Did you take the Voluntary deduction while taking the policy? That is around 1500 or so I think. If you take that deduction while taking the policy, you have to pay the processing fee for the insurance. Atleast that's what I know, could be wrong.
My car's crack ain't that huge, but what am worried bout more is the paint staring to chip around the area.
Old 7th February 2013, 05:39   #5730
Senior - BHPian

I'm still going to ask you the question, how many times did you get to use the spare with your old car? I ask you this because I remember this conversation we had for your old car! I would save that money and spend on something else, the spare is anyways supposed to get you to the nearest tyre repair shop, why bother? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post

Don't ask me what I did last time, I had updated the RIMS to HRS HiJoin (including the spare), so all wheels had 195/60/R/15 BridgeStone Turanza ER60 shod on them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks