Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:16   #5566
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesh View Post
Hi Ninja,

I changed my brake pads at 39k and it was at the very end of its life when checked at BU bhandari(Pune). I was being told that riding with thin brake pads for long can then damage your disc brkaes which is a bigger expense so will suggest you dont drag the change very long. Best is to take second opinion from BH bhandari as you are based out of pune.

Regards,
Nikesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I am almost 30k and was supposed to get it changed during my last visit (600kms ago for engine oil top up). Will get it changed tomorrow during the 2nd service.
Thanks guys. I'll let the guys at BUB take the final call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Another crude way: Ask your colleague to drive your car ( provided he has sampled before) and pat comes the feedback - how the hell do you drive a car with such weak brakes ( i got that !!)
lol - the friends/colleagues that have enough experience on my car can't be trusted to give any feedback about the car except the acceleration and power it has. Everything else goes for a toss
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:22   #5567
BHPian

Blue wind basking

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image2348044909.jpg
newtonMeter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:08   #5568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Blue wind basking

Attachment 1033657
I understand your joy in posting those pics but you might be better off putting them on your thread (p.s. mods on the hunt)
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 19:12   #5569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I understand your joy in posting those pics but you might be better off putting them on your thread (p.s. mods on the hunt)
Will be careful. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:41   #5570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post
The SIlver Bullet : My new Vento Highline TDI Refresh : (Part 2)

Le me drive the silver bullet a little more to give you more updates . So long...
Guys, I need a help. I was planning a road trip in my new Silver Bullet ( Vento TDI) from Hyderabad to Tadoba ( Maharashtra , near Nagpur) during the Pongal holidays.

I have temporary registration and I dont think will get permanent number plates before I go. My Temp registration is valid till 29.01.13 and hence my trip duration is well within that.

1. Do u think there would be a problem if I take it to MH from AP with Temp number sticker

2. Does anybody know how the roads are from Hyd to Tadoba Tiger Reserve?

Thanks a lot,

Saayon
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:24   #5571
BHPian

How expensive is it to replace the current plain jane steering with the new audio control enabled one ? The ones all you recent owners are blessed with whilst the oldies like us don't ?
I find it really irritating to adjust tracks while driving. Wifey goes ballistic when she sees me swap focus rapidly and know that is risky for the road (and marriage )
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:04   #5572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I need a help. I was planning a road trip in my new Silver Bullet ( Vento TDI) from Hyderabad to Tadoba ( Maharashtra , near Nagpur) during the Pongal holidays.

2. Does anybody know how the roads are from Hyd to Tadoba Tiger Reserve?
Join the following group on Facebook and you would get the best advise and people over there just love to explore India on road.

Facebook Group:

Quote:
I have temporary registration and I dont think will get permanent number plates before I go. My Temp registration is valid till 29.01.13 and hence my trip duration is well within that.

1. Do u think there would be a problem if I take it to MH from AP with Temp number sticker
I don't think it should be a problem since your temporary registration is valid till 29 Jan'13. You could ask the dealer for the same too and lets see what other bhapians have to say about it.

Quote:
How expensive is it to replace the current plain jane steering with the new audio control enabled one ? The ones all you recent owners are blessed with whilst the oldies like us don't ?
It would be very expensive and you would even need to change the HU to RCD310 as to use those controls as older one wouldn't be compatible I think. You can change the track on the older one by just rotating the RHS rotary knob. Doesn't make good sense to take so much trouble to have two extra buttons.
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:29   #5573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

It would be very expensive and you would even need to change the HU to RCD310 as to use those controls as older one wouldn't be compatible I think. You can change the track on the older one by just rotating the RHS rotary knob. Doesn't make good sense to take so much trouble to have two extra buttons.
Ok got it, Actually I ditched the HU long time back and am running a Pioneer 3250BT for the last 15 months or so. I have kinda got the knack of changing tracks/volume without taking the eyes off. But every time I do it, I really miss the steering mounted controls
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:12   #5574
BHPian

Quote:
Ok got it, Actually I ditched the HU long time back and am running a Pioneer 3250BT for the last 15 months or so. I have kinda got the knack of changing tracks/volume without taking the eyes off. But every time I do it, I really miss the steering mounted controls
I have also tried similar idea by asking the SA if the steering control part alone is available to integrate with my Pioneer 2400BT, He said it comes with steering..
Old 4th January 2013, 10:29   #5575
BHPian

Quote:
I find it really irritating to adjust tracks while driving. Wifey goes ballistic when she sees me swap focus rapidly and know that is risky for the road (and marriage )
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
I have also tried similar idea by asking the SA if the steering control part alone is available to integrate with my Pioneer 2400BT, He said it comes with steering..
You can explore the options of aftermarket steering controls compatible with the Pioneer. You get ones these days that fit on the steering wheel or the steering column. Of course, they don't give you the OEM feel and look like they are bolted on. But if convenience is what you want, you have it. The local shops have started keeping these accessories these days.
Old 4th January 2013, 13:34   #5576
Senior - BHPian

Vento owners,
Have anyone of you tried cleaning the engine air filter yourself? I usually prefer getting them cleaned in all our cars around 5000-6000kms mark especially the diesel air filters get quite dirty within 5k kms.

My Vento has done 5500 and i can see a small drop in pick up and fuel efficiency, could be that either am getting used to the power or the FE is dropping as the right foot is getting heavy , used to get 17.5-18 in city but now its dropped to 16-16.5 within same conditions.

I tried to open the air filter box with a special took kit and a star shaped screw driver but it has special size screws and also i need to the open the pipe which connect the air filter box to engine to get a good access to all the screws which i wasnt comfortable with.

Anyone cleaned the air filter? It would be a waste of time and day going to VW ASC to get it cleaned and waiting till 15k kms for air filter change in these dusty conditons would be an overkill.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 4th January 2013 at 13:36.
Old 4th January 2013, 16:22   #5577
Senior - BHPian

coolboy read somewhere on this forum that to remove air filter you'll have to disengage the battery first. That means losing all the VAS activated features (like speed sensing lock etc). It might be better to visit a service center and get it done there rather than a DIY (unless you dont care about those features).
Old 4th January 2013, 17:19   #5578

I am also now getting used to the famous "thud". it is very annoying that a person puts in 10 lakh for a car and still not be able to get an answer from service people. on top of that VW people keep calling me if i'm satisfied with the car or not. i tell the same things over and over again and nothing. there are a lot of good things about this car but this sounds takes the fun out on Punjab roads.

now i will try with low tyre pressure. next car will not be VW though.
Old 4th January 2013, 17:59   #5579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Anyone cleaned the air filter? It would be a waste of time and day going to VW ASC to get it cleaned and waiting till 15k kms for air filter change in these dusty conditons would be an overkill.
I agree with you, that air filter should be cleaned every 5000 Kms given the dust condition. One can do it himself through some precautions. The post is from bhpian Kryptonite thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
Fitting the air filter!
a) First you need to disconnect your battery! If you unplug any of the sensors in these engines with the battery on, it could cause issues.
b) Then, you need to disconnect the MAF sensor connector (top left of the air box).
c) Next, you've got to remove 7 vertical screws that hold the air box in place.
d) There are pipes flowing on one side of the air filter box that come in the way when you eventually have to open the air box, these are the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) pipes, you’ll need to unhook from their rubber holdings, one at a time, let them fall loose.
e) Now comes the difficult part: There's a metal ring that holds and air-locks the filtered air going from the air-box into the engine. You need a wide clamp to be able to press the levers and expand this ring till it’s loose, and slide it to the left. Note: don't slide it to the right, else the air intake pipe (engine side) will pry loose of the ring, and you'll have more trouble inserting the air intake pipe back into the ring later on. We learnt it the hard way!
f) Disconnect the air intake pipe (engine side) with the ring in it from the air box, after which you can either fold the top lid of the air box towards you, or lift it straight up.
g) The stock filter is long and cylindrical, and you'll have to turn in clockwise to unhook it from the top of the airbox (to which it’s attached to). The K&N filter is identical in shape and fits exactly into the same groves as the stock filter, you align it into the grooves and turn counter-clockwise to fit it in.
h) Fit the top of the air box with the filter back in, fit the 7 screws back in, press the levers on the ring and slide it back to the right (with the air intake pipe), release the levers to seal the fit between the intake box and pipe, slide the EGR pipes back into their rubber housings, fit the MAF sensor back in, connect your battery - and you should be good to go!
Though the convenience features can be activated as follows:

Quote:
Once the battery terminal is disconnected and reconnected, the power window one touch up/down, convenience operation of all power windows using remote and pinch protection (roll back on sensing obstacles) have to be configured all over again.

Good thing, all the three can be configured by a single step -

- Close all doors/windows
- Turn the key to "ignition on" position
- Hold the power window regulators on the driver side armrest up for about a couple of seconds.
- All the above 3 features should now be activated.
But the speed sensing lock, unlock door on removing key and others activated through VAS gets disabled and you need to go to workshop to have them reactivated. So much for German engineering.

If a situation arises that I need to clean the air filter I wont hesitate as I can live without convenience features but not with a suffocating engine.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 4th January 2013 at 18:05.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 18:18   #5580
BHPian

So, I finally decided to take the plunge & pick up a Polo Sedan.

Picked up the Shadow Blue "MY13" Highline TDi yesterday.

Soon after delivery, got the tires changed to Yokohama S Drives (205's).

Special thanks to Ninjatalli, El Lobo 6061, Pc73, Kryptonite & Chet1376 for their valuable inputs during the purchase
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image2802256780.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image3013942722.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image2541525213.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image943634961.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image3522945039.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image1758593058.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-image1135912372.jpg  

Last edited by speed kills : 4th January 2013 at 18:25.
speed kills is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks