Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2013, 19:25   #5581
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
So, I finally decided to take the plunge & pick up a Polo Sedan.

Picked up the Shadow Blue "MY13" Highline TDi yesterday.

Soon after delivery, got the tires changed to Yokohama S Drives (205's)
Let me first congratulate you on the fine purchase. Undoubtedly Shadow Blue seems to the favorite among the bhpians. Happy to know that you went with 205 patch rubber and not with 195. Great stance and quite wide tires. Drive safe with Yoko's and slow down if you encounter any pot holes. Did you find Michelin PP2 & Conti CPC2 in 205 size?

A small Q. Did you de-badge the boot of the car as I cannot see any Volkswagen, Vento & TDi holograms, except the VW logo?
Old 4th January 2013, 19:34   #5582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Did you find Michelin PP2 & Conti CPC2 in 205 size?

A small Q. Did you de-badge the boot of the car as I cannot see any Volkswagen, Vento & TDi holograms, except the VW logo?
Thanks a lot El!

Honestly speaking, I didn't look at the Michelin's or Continentals. My mind was pretty much made up after my conversation with Chet1379. He's been using the Yoko's without any issues for 20k odd kms.

Yes! The boot was debadged at the showroom before delivery

Last edited by speed kills : 4th January 2013 at 19:36.
Old 5th January 2013, 09:37   #5583
BHPian

Quote:

Soon after delivery, got the tires changed to Yokohama S Drives (205's).

Special thanks to Ninjatalli, El Lobo 6061, Pc73, Kryptonite & Chet1376 for their valuable inputs during the purchase
congratulations! could we have a long shot of the tyres from behind, and side.?
Old 6th January 2013, 13:42   #5584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post
The SIlver Bullet : My new Vento Highline TDI Refresh : (Part 2)

Let me drive the silver bullet a little more to give you more updates . So long...
Hello All, Its been a week that I have taken delivery of my Siver Vento TDI HL , and have been driving around it mostly to office and back. The odo has clocked 170 Km and here are the initial observations :

1. Vento is more like a arranged marriage : You are a little apprehensive initially ,( specially if u were loving the sweetest looking sedan , the VERNA at first) and then decided to break the relationship and settle in to a more mature and long term stint ( marriage) with the VENTO. But, the more time you spend with it, more the love grows as is mostly the case with an arranged marriage. The 170 odd Kms (and growing) is certainly making me happier by the kilometer to have made this marriage.

2. I was driving a i20 petrol before this and compared to that, the braking on the vento is a bit of a botheration. I find the i 20 braking spot on but in the vento, u need to apply the brakes a little earlier as the car travels due to its momentum slightly further even after braking even at normal city speeds. This maybe due to the higher mass of the car or the stock tyres. But my i 20 also had the Appolo Aceelere R14 stocks. Any observations by fellow BHPians are welcome.

3. The VAS features are working ok , like the auto door lock etc. but strangely, the seat belt buzzer warning is not sounding ( even after the door auto locks and the driver is not wearing a seat belt).This , I find a little strange for a car which otherwise seems to be a pretty safe place to be in.

While certianly, I would like to mention a incident here which gives me a big pleasure . Since this was a company car, I had one of my friends also wanting to buy a Vento. In fact we negotiated together the price discounts. But finally, he fell for the Verna 1.6CRDI SX at the last moment. Now, after a week he comes and complains about the new verna suspension bottoming out with a thud every time it hits a pot hole . Moral of the story : Beauty is Skindeep.

Planning for a short honeymoon with the Vento during the Sankranti holidays next week. Will post once back.
saaicon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 16:12   #5585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post
Hello All, Its been a week that I have taken delivery of my Siver Vento TDI HL , and have been driving around it mostly to office and back. The odo has clocked 170 Km and here are the initial observations
One smiley , i absolutely love your writing style. You can post your impressions here but please start a new thread for your Vento, would be fun reading about how you went in for Vento comparing other cars and other aspects of this car.

Quote:
But my i 20 also had the Appolo Aceelere R14 stocks. Any observations by fellow BHPians are welcome.
The braking is fantastic in Vento but one thing that even i noticed is that the first 10-15% of pedal travel doesnt induce much stopping power, the pedal modulation is missing a bit, also the excessive torque of 2nd gear is hard to control in stop go traffic, it just runs away forward. This is in comparison to Linea which i own where the car starts braking as soon as brakes are pressed and it being a petrol - there is just no torque

Quote:
The VAS features are working ok , like the auto door lock etc. but strangely, the seat belt buzzer warning is not sounding ( even after the door auto locks and the driver is not wearing a seat belt)
Thats because VW removed the buzzer from the indian version, maybe they saved a few hundred bucks doing that but i personally would have loved the soothing smooth beeps for seatbelt which come on when headlights are on and you remove the key.

Quote:
In fact we negotiated together the price discounts. But finally, he fell for the Verna 1.6CRDI SX at the last moment. Now, after a week he comes and complains about the new verna suspension bottoming out with a thud every time it hits a pot hole . Moral of the story : Beauty is Skindeep.
Was telling my friend the same thing other day as he is confused which C segment car to pick, if you dont care about handling and only want twisty, strange lines and curves with good interiors and loads of features to keep you busy - go for Verna but if you love driving even one bit its not the car to go for, its so inferior dynamically to all C segment cars like Fiesta, Vento/Rapid, Linea. The engine has all the grunt and is so refined but the chasis and that numb steering cant handle it.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 16:30   #5586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, and awesome choice of color

The de-badging is not a bad idea at all. I remember @mikon & myself discussing this long back, but decided against it. Will be watching your car (pictures) keenly. One suggestion - a shark-fin antenna would look awesome with that clean boot look.

Junta,
Got a bit of clarity on the brake pad costs. Basically there are two sets of brake pads used in the Vento, one costing 1800, while the other one costs around 2400. More info at this post. Hope this is useful to you guys.
Old 6th January 2013, 16:44   #5587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Congratulations, and awesome choice of color

The de-badging is not a bad idea at all. I remember @mikon & myself discussing this long back, but decided against it. Will be watching your car (pictures) keenly. One suggestion - a shark-fin antenna would look awesome with that clean boot look.
Thanks a lot Ninja!

The Shark Fin is gonna be fit in the next couple of days. The dealer has agreed to fix it for me
Old 6th January 2013, 17:14   #5588
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Ninja!

The Shark Fin is gonna be fit in the next couple of days. The dealer has agreed to fix it for me
Ah, great! How much is the dealer charging?
Old 6th January 2013, 17:24   #5589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Ah, great! How much is the dealer charging?
7k! Since warranty wouldn't be void, I decided to go for it
speed kills is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 17:58   #5590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
One smiley , i absolutely love your writing style. You can post your impressions here but please start a new thread for your Vento, would be fun reading about how you went in for Vento comparing other cars and other aspects of this car.

Thanks Coolboy. I am not allowed to start a new post probably because of my Newbie status. But if you want to go through my initital posts on choosing the Vento, its just two pages ago in the same thread :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3004237

The braking is fantastic in Vento but one thing that even i noticed is that the first 10-15% of pedal travel doesnt induce much stopping power, the pedal modulation is missing a bit, also the excessive torque of 2nd gear is hard to control in stop go traffic, it just runs away forward.

Thanks again for the info on the pedal travel. It explains why I think the car stops a little late . I am probably still used to my i20 braking dynamics.

Thats because VW removed the buzzer from the indian version, maybe they saved a few hundred bucks doing that

That's strange. Was it there in the earlier ( non refresh models also?)

Was telling my friend the same thing other day as he is confused which C segment car to pick, if you dont care about handling and only want twisty, strange lines and curves with good interiors and loads of features to keep you busy - go for Verna but if you love driving even one bit its not the car to go for, its so inferior dynamically to all C segment cars like Fiesta, Vento/Rapid, Linea. The engine has all the grunt and is so refined but the chasis and that numb steering cant handle it.

Couldnt agree more . In fact after reading about this in the Verna threads of T BHP, I actually spoke to the Hyundai guys at the Chennai factory ( I know them as I am a supplier to OEMs) They said HMIL is well aware of the handling and the suspension issues and are changing the spring material and dia post March 2013.It seemd their spring suppliers will have to be geared up for this change before that. For me,It was pointless to wait that long.
Old 7th January 2013, 00:05   #5591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
7k! Since warranty wouldn't be void, I decided to go for it
7K for a single brake pad ?:o
Old 7th January 2013, 00:17   #5592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
7K for a single brake pad ?:o
He meant the shark fin (antenna).
Old 7th January 2013, 10:54   #5593
BHPian

Volkswagen owners at Bangalore - Where are you folks servicing your cars at?

Ever since the Magrath road service centre closed down, the one in Hosur has been backed up and I'm getting a date only in mid-feb. I think this my car needs a service sooner than that.

The only guy left is Palace Cross and reading up on this site, some folks have had bad experience when buying at the Palace Cross dealer. Anyone have any better experiences with servicing out there?
Old 7th January 2013, 11:40   #5594
Senior - BHPian

For guys still thinking about changing your brake pads or not please do it ASAP.

I got my 30K service done and had to get the disks changed since they had some wear :(. (4.5K cost). There were some re-wiring etc of dash wires and other things that were carried under warranty. They do give the extra engine oil back to you which is good.

Some other stuff I got to hear, Vento has two Chassis series something like BT and CT and there are some things that are different.

The cost of spares can go up and also down. Got to know that left rear tail lamp is 4k. I had my right rear replaced a while ago for 2k. Not sure if its because of reverse brake or fog light thing that they cost differently. But they did say that the cost fluctuates
Old 7th January 2013, 12:10   #5595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, and awesome choice of color. Now you can carry out most of the modications as done in the Polo on the Vento too!

All the Best!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks