Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:14   #4966
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Wow - So technically we belong to a very small group that own a Vento with steering controls!

[...] What next, I wonder. And to think back in early 2011, the only "refreshment" I could think was a AT box for the tdi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Those who managed to get the cars with steering mounted conrtols and leatherette seats are indeed the privileged minority

So technically this is not a face-lift. Actually what is the antonym for face-lift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
I just got the updates at Hyderabad, 2012 ( Re-Re-Refreshed) model is being launched with Price of 9.8 Lakhs ( Ex Showroom) for Diesel Model but without the below features as against the Highline Diesel model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
Well just spoke to my sales guy at Downtown VW , apparently there is a lot of Tdi HL Vento's ( around 80-100) that have been dispatched from the factory without steering controls and leatherette seats. He also says this may be a stop gap scenario due to rising costs. Also petrol Vento's may be getting the darkened headlamps but not the diesels.

Cheers
Sid
There is a new trim level in pipeline - Highline plus. The missing features of the current HL are there + a few more. (black headlamps , new alloys..).
I guess the whole exercise is being done to save the market share.
ritzy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:19   #4967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy

There is a new trim level in pipeline - Highline plus. The missing features of the current HL are there + a few more. (black headlamps , new alloys..).
I guess the whole exercise is being done to save the market share.
That's a relief. I have been waiting for the refreshed petrol Highline automatic, and had been told it would come in early September, with additional features. One of the dealers in Bombay had indicated that the leatherette seats may go, but he was not sure. I checked today, and was told that spec sheets are not yet out - and anyone who saw otherwise is speculating.

So this thread (till your post ) did create a cause for concern. Didn't like the City much, but the elimination of steering mounted controls would be a deal breaker for me from a Vento perspective.

Btw, is there anyone on earth (apart from me) who is considering a petrol automatic in this day and age?
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:59   #4968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post

Btw, is there anyone on earth (apart from me) who is considering a petrol automatic in this day and age?

Bought mine just a few days back (oh its two months actually). Am one of the very few 2012 Vento AT customers. I have a thread here also about my initial impressions.

Love this car. Go for it!
Old 22nd August 2012, 22:01   #4969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post

Indeed a brave act .
Steering mounted controls is a must-have feature for you otherwise there are tens of petrol automatics, in very good condition and low odo reading, available at "Das Welt Auto" Pune (certified pre-owened car outlet of VW). May be at great price. just a thought.
Old 22nd August 2012, 22:44   #4970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli

Wow - So technically we belong to a very small group that own a Vento with steering controls!

Wonder how the resale market is going to value the different "groups" of Vento Tdi (highline version i.e.) in the future[*]2011 (Pre-refreshed) models without steering controls that had a ex-showroom price of 9.23 lakhs[*]2011 (Refreshed) models with steering controls that had a ex-showroom price of 9.7 lakhs[*]2012 (Re-Refreshed) models with steering controls & leatherette seats that had a ex-showroom price of 10+(?) lakhs[*]2012 (Re-Re-Refreshed) models without the above and with a (reduced) price tag!What next, I wonder. And to think back in early 2011, the only "refreshment" I could think was a AT box for the tdi!

Edit: Had some free time, here's the output - guess this is one way of tabulating the information!
You forgot to mention the Ventos with internal surveillance systems:-)
Old 22nd August 2012, 23:10   #4971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Spoken like a true "oldie" I am also in that gang and i guess quite a few are there ! Some of us had the "falling" internal surveillance system too. I think Ninja also forgot those without steering cover , chrome insert in the steering - shouldn't they also be treated as variants ?

I doubt any other car manufacturer has made such a big deal out of the leatherette seats as VW has ! If they sneak in a below 10 lakhs car after chopping a few cosmetic features it would greatly benefit the Bangalore , Hyd and Chennai markets , isn't it ? For starters they can stop getting the alloys from Germany and getting it in India - it would easily bring down costs by 45-50 grand easily which can be passed onto buyers
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:55   #4972
BHPian

But would the leatherette seats and steering mounted controls cost so much to VW that it can bring down the cost so drastically? And these are just leatherette seats not even Stanley!
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:31   #4973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Spoken like a true "oldie" I am also in that gang and i guess quite a few are there ! Some of us had the "falling" internal surveillance system too. I think Ninja also forgot those without steering cover , chrome insert in the steering - shouldn't they also be treated as variants ?
Ah, now if we start getting into that level, we might just see 10 variants of the car

Quote:
I doubt any other car manufacturer has made such a big deal out of the leatherette seats as VW has ! If they sneak in a below 10 lakhs car after chopping a few cosmetic features it would greatly benefit the Bangalore , Hyd and Chennai markets , isn't it ? For starters they can stop getting the alloys from Germany and getting it in India - it would easily bring down costs by 45-50 grand easily which can be passed onto buyers
Quote:
But would the leatherette seats and steering mounted controls cost so much to VW that it can bring down the cost so drastically? And these are just leatherette seats not even Stanley!
+ 1 to that.

There are quite a few features they can cut-off (or provide as an accessory) without affecting the users. Of course, they should atleast cut the costs in the showroom price for omitting these
  • The pull/push lever for the passenger seat available at the back. I doubt if anyone uses this!
  • Rear AC Vent - unless they give a separate blower/stronger flow to these vents, they mostly serve as a feel-good factor IMO
  • Club the steering controls with a bluetooth accessory and give them combined as an accessory option
  • A lot of the features that the trendline doesn't have should be offered as accessories (central locking system/etc)
I guess we (and VW) can think up a lot more on this, rather than just playing around with leatherette seats! I hope Arvind Saxena brings about a few changes on this aspect (similar to Hyundai cars). And if they do in such a manner, I sure hope that they get the pricing correct.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:40   #4974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
  • The pull/push lever for the passenger seat available at the back. I doubt if anyone uses this!
  • Rear AC Vent - unless they give a separate blower/stronger flow to these vents, they mostly serve as a feel-good factor IMO
Ninja, we lazy rear seat occupants tend to utilize both of them specially in the city. The rear A/C vent is not entirely useless as we found during the extreme summer months. As for the pull/push lever, it has been used more than once by me to get that caaaaaaaaaar feeling .
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:34   #4975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Main reason that Vento prices went up was that the Ex showroom was above 10 lacs. Now since they have decided to skip these features and add it Highline +, i think it was a wise move. Vento Comfortline needs to match features of Rapid Ambition to gain more volumes.
karanraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:51   #4976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Main reason that Vento prices went up was that the Ex showroom was above 10 lacs. Now since they have decided to skip these features and add it Highline +, i think it was a wise move. Vento Comfortline needs to match features of Rapid Ambition to gain more volumes.
I agree with you if indeed Vento needs to compete with Rapid but disagree with you if I am wearing the VAG group hat - Vento does not need to compete with Rapid , in fact its better from the group's perspective if they maintain distinctive features. Vento and Rapid will appeal to varying segments and so be it but overall combined they would have a great impact. VAG can take an approach similar to what Maruti has done in the hatchback segment , pepper similar offerings ( Swift, Ritz, Wagon R, Zen ) and crowd out competition by flanking various price points .
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:57   #4977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I agree with you if indeed Vento needs to compete with Rapid but disagree with you if I am wearing the VAG group hat - Vento does not need to compete with Rapid , in fact its better from the group's perspective if they maintain distinctive features. Vento and Rapid will appeal to varying segments and so be it but overall combined they would have a great impact. VAG can take an approach similar to what Maruti has done in the hatchback segment , pepper similar offerings ( Swift, Ritz, Wagon R, Zen ) and crowd out competition by flanking various price points .
I did not mention that Vento should compete with Rapid. Infact i meant was Rapid feels like more VFM and wonder why VW has been so Stingy .They hike the prices and then offer free Insurance and etc. Vento sales have been quite ordinary to say the least.

VW had launched Vento Comfortline to fill the void below Highline and just give minimal features and expect us to pay 10 lacs + OTR for no ABS + Airbags?? Vento has been distinguished from Rapid in the top end models. Please keep in mind that Vento sales have been better than Polo . IMO Vento deserves to sell 3500 nos/month.
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:05   #4978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I did not mention that Vento should compete with Rapid. Infact i meant was Rapid feels like more VFM and wonder why VW has been so Stingy .They hike the prices and then offer free Insurance and etc. Vento sales have been quite ordinary to say the least.

VW had launched Vento Comfortline to fill the void below Highline and just give minimal features and expect us to pay 10 lacs + OTR for no ABS + Airbags?? Vento has been distinguished from Rapid in the top end models. Please keep in mind that Vento sales have been better than Polo . IMO Vento deserves to sell 3500 nos/month.
Exclusivity my dear friend
Keep the base price of your product high, that would build exclusivity, and get tons of brand value, occasionally offer discounts so that crowd can be pulled, crunch the mass numbers from the younger sibling (Rapid), together with the big nose pricy brother (Vento) and a younger sibling affordable for all (Rapid) compete with Verna :-)
Old 24th August 2012, 09:33   #4979
BHPian

VW might raise prices of vento and polo by 3%.

Source:
Volkswagen may raise price of Polo, Vento by up to 3% - The Economic Times
Old 24th August 2012, 11:27   #4980

Re: *Rumour* : Volkswagen Discontinues 1.6 MPI Petrol Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
I just got the updates at Hyderabad, 2012 ( Re-Re-Refreshed) model is being launched with Price of 9.8 Lakhs ( Ex Showroom) for Diesel Model but without the below features as against the Highline Diesel model.

--> Without Steering audio controls
--> Without Leather seats
--> Without Parking sensors
--> Without USB port
I am in negotiations with Volkswagen Palace Cross in Bangalore. I was negotiating for Highline TDI and he suddenly mentioned there is a new bridge model which has been launched by VW. He told that steering mounted audio controls are not there and Leatherette seats are not there. But he specifically mentioned that Parking sensors (with parking assistance which comes up on the audio panel screen) and aux port (USB port in the glove box) are still there.

I was not sure whether it was a new model or it was the old model which was manufactured in Dec 2010 before leatherette seat covers and steering mounted audio controls were introduced in Highline. So I asked him for the manufacturing month. He said he'll check and come back and later confirmed with me that it is Aug 2012 manufactured. I was shocked. Ex-show room has been brought down to 9,86,944 (down by 51K) and on road has come down by 96,000 (RT in Karnataka is 18.87% for cars above 10Lakhs and 15.54% for cars below 10L). so the huge difference in the on road price.

Somebody please tell me if this bridge model is true. From your earlier posts I can see that people from multiple locations have written the same thing. Just wanted to confirm before booking so that I won't get cheated. Some one has mentioned in one of the earlier posts that the salesman has lied about manufactured month (salesman wrongly mentioned as 2012 model for a 2011 model and later gave a good discount for Polo). I don't want to end up in such a situation. Someone who has confirmed knowledge of the refreshed model, please clarify my doubts

Regards
Sreekanth

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks