Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 21:15   #4396
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Then I will go next time for extended warranty.

May be it's better. But several cars comes with front disc brakes but I'm not sure why VW/Skoda cars gets more brake dusts than other. I heard bosch brake pads are the one comes in VW, but I never verified it.
Get the extended warranty ASAP, peace of mind with Germans, which would cost your around Rs. 11K.

Another thing, VW now offers Extended RSA(Road Side Assistance) for 2yrs at Rs. 3K, which makes it 2+2 same as extended warranty. Even get that as you would be using the car for long term and when you go for long trips no problem related to towing.

Regarding brake dust, German car have brake pads which are a bit performance oriented compared to Japs which have one purpose that is long lasting. Till now cars that I have driven, Vento has the best braking in its segment, I can compare it to Cruze with has sheer amount of braking power. When I got my car serviced, brakes were biting like as if I had all round disc brakes. I know after a long drive we do find a lot of brake dust and have to self clean, but that's the price for good car, I guess.

I hope you use the Black&Decker KP1200 after the service and give a good detailed review. My purchase is solely dependent on your review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
I took a TD for Vento Diesel today. To my surprise the onroad price is 11.99 Lakhs!
But now, Highline comes standard with Leather seat covers.

Can someone let me know, which car will be easier to maintain:
- Fuel efficiency - Verna or Vento?
- Service costs - Verna or Vento?
Wow Vento TDi HL at 12 Lac, Vento surely has appreciated a lot since I purchased at 9.13 Lac Ex-Showroom.

Correction, Vento comes with Leatherette Seat covers and not pure leather. They surely look good since I have them on my car but can make you a bit sweaty.

Vento TDi can easily deliver around 16+ Kmpl within city and on highways 20+ if you drive at 80 Kmph constantly which is highly impossible with that 250Nm torque but very much attainable. The quality of equipment is top notch compared to Verna.

If you self drive, get the Vento TDi HL and if it's chauffeur driven get Verna CRDi AT. Vento is a drivers car and Verna doesn't hold a candle to it at speeds above 120 Kmph. Since two of my friends(both bhpians) own Verna CRDi and both complain about high speed handling.

You would love Vento TDi more on the highways than in the city. Make a wise choice as both cars are totally different. I think I have confused you now.
Old 25th May 2012, 22:48   #4397
BHPian

blue wind is back! find my ownership thread here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...vento-tdi.html
Old 25th May 2012, 23:37   #4398
BHPian

It's back to the assembly line:( sorry for the inconvenience caused! Will come back soon
Old 26th May 2012, 00:39   #4399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
It's back to the assembly line:( sorry for the inconvenience caused! Will come back soon
@NM,
I'm quite interested in that MDI cable that you have. One end that goes into the ipod, that I can see. But the other end, does it fit perfectly into the usb slot?

Also the ebay link states 3 to 15 days for shipping to India - how long did it take for yours?
Old 26th May 2012, 05:17   #4400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli
@NM,
I'm quite interested in that MDI cable that you have. One end that goes into the ipod, that I can see. But the other end, does it fit perfectly into the usb slot?

Also the ebay link states 3 to 15 days for shipping to India - how long did it take for yours?
Hi ninjatalli

The MDI cable will only work with the refreshed vento ( sep 2011) which has the MDI SLOT in the glovebox. Vento had got the RCD 310 HU plus this interface recently. The car comes with the MDI cable with a USB end by default. You need to change this cable to the one I bought. It has 16 pin connector on one end (apple specific) and VW MDI interface the other end

Shipping took 20 days
Old 26th May 2012, 07:47   #4401
BHPian

Speaking of brakes, of late, the brakes in the car sometimes give a low squealing noise when the brakes are applied slowly at low speeds. It doesn't happen always. I have also noticed some slight undulations in the front left wheel brake disc which might be the cause of the problem. Will take the car to the service center next week and hope to get these issues resolved.
Old 26th May 2012, 11:56   #4402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr_rpm
Would like to know if all Vento owners having this issue . There a very audialble sound of gas getting compressed or released from hydraulic suspension when I go over a sudden bump or in roads with lot of patch works.
In fact I faced the same issue. It is the squeeking sound from the shocks. When I took it to the service centre, they showed the same sound coming out of every Vento in there. It will not be audible inside the cabin if we put the a/c in recirculation mode.
abhilash_iv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 12:21   #4403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Hi ninjatalli

The MDI cable will only work with the refreshed vento ( sep 2011) which has the MDI SLOT in the glovebox. Vento had got the RCD 310 HU plus this interface recently. The car comes with the MDI cable with a USB end by default. You need to change this cable to the one I bought. It has 16 pin connector on one end (apple specific) and VW MDI interface the other end

Shipping took 20 days
Great. Ordered one for myself too. Not that I'm that much of an Apple buff, but my top picks of songs (over the past 3-4 years) have been saved only in the Ipod, had to get this!
Old 26th May 2012, 17:15   #4404
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Took the delivery of my Vento HL Tdi Deep Black couple of days before from Volkswagen Mount road Chennai. Till now clocked 350kms mostly on Highway, I have few questions need to clarify with the existing Vento owners:

1. MID sometimes shows 85kmpl and 35kmpl during 1500-1800 rpm on highway is it really accurate?

2. What rpm I have to maintain during the initial period? (Right now I am maintaining 1500-2000 rpm)

3. What is the Full Tank capacity and how much liters equal to one unit on MID is it 5 liters?

4. Any alternative for the 100/90 headlamps without voiding the warranty?

5. I have done only temp registration and my SA told me the extended warranty will be issued based on permanent registration number. Will they not provide with VIN number?

Thanks in Advance,

rashv
Old 26th May 2012, 18:40   #4405
BHPian

Folks,

Here is my second service report details.

I got my engine mount, clutch hose and brake pads replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Get the extended warranty ASAP, peace of mind with Germans, which would cost your around Rs. 11K.

Another thing, VW now offers Extended RSA(Road Side Assistance) for 2yrs at Rs. 3K, which makes it 2+2 same as extended warranty. Even get that as you would be using the car for long term and when you go for long trips no problem related to towing.

I hope you use the Black&Decker KP1200 after the service and give a good detailed review. My purchase is solely dependent on your review.
I checked your post after taking the car delivery from service this morning, So couldn't act. Also I will post review on polisher.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 26th May 2012 at 18:45.
Old 26th May 2012, 19:25   #4406
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Folks,

Here is my second service report details.
You do know that you posted your thread link, rather than the link to the post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashv View Post
Hi Everyone,

Took the delivery of my Vento HL Tdi Deep Black couple of days before from Volkswagen Mount road Chennai. Till now clocked 350kms mostly on Highway, I have few questions need to clarify with the existing Vento owners:

1. MID sometimes shows 85kmpl and 35kmpl during 1500-1800 rpm on highway is it really accurate?

2. What rpm I have to maintain during the initial period? (Right now I am maintaining 1500-2000 rpm)

3. What is the Full Tank capacity and how much liters equal to one unit on MID is it 5 liters?

4. Any alternative for the 100/90 headlamps without voiding the warranty?

5. I have done only temp registration and my SA told me the extended warranty will be issued based on permanent registration number. Will they not provide with VIN number?

Thanks in Advance,

rashv
Answers below :

1. You are most probably looking at the instantaneous mileage figures. 85kmpl is shown when your foot is off the accelerator. Toggle the MID to get the normal mileage figures.

2. Here is what I did (in line with what I found being followed in the forum) - for the first 1500 kms, I strictly kept it below 2500 rpm, with a few short bursts reaching 3k once in a while. Do note, 3k rpm on the 5th gear would easily take you to 120 kmph.

3. Full tank as per the manual is 55 liters. But the car has a capacity of close to 60 liters. As for the visual units displayed on MID, I wouldn't consider it 100% accurate, so take it with a pinch of salt. However the fuel indicator, when it lights up (on the MID) is quite accurate. As per the manual it indicates the car can travel max another 70 kms, and I can vouch for that - have pushed the car till 80kms.

4. The stock headlights are of no use. Most of the Vento owners here have upgraded to better 100/90 bulbs (with relays). No issues with the warranty of course. Just make sure you get them done by a proper mechanic/garage.

5. Not really sure on that. Anyway, the extended warranty can be bought anytime during the initial two years, not necessary to get it right at the start. So why the hurry, get it done later.

Edit: Just checked my extended warranty - it nowhere mentions the car registration number, just the VIN & engine details. Anyway, it shouldn't really matter.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th May 2012 at 19:29.
Old 26th May 2012, 20:24   #4407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
You do know that you posted your thread link, rather than the link to the post!
I have posted the link to my post only.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 26th May 2012 at 20:27.
Old 26th May 2012, 20:37   #4408
Senior - BHPian

My experience with the pre-monsoon check, repair work and sundry work are posted on my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2789682

@rashv - I agree to most of what Ninja says , my additional comments are also given alongside in bold wherever applicable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

1. You are most probably looking at the instantaneous mileage figures. 85kmpl is shown when your foot is off the accelerator. Toggle the MID to get the normal mileage figures.
There are 3 mileage figures , average mileage for trip 1 & trip 2 and then there is the instantaneous. Familiarise yourself with the toggle
Quote:
2. Here is what I did (in line with what I found being followed in the forum) - for the first 1500 kms, I strictly kept it below 2500 rpm, with a few short bursts reaching 3k once in a while. Do note, 3k rpm on the 5th gear would easily take you to 120 kmph.
Ninja has well qualified his comments with the "short bursts" disclaimer, he set the roads of Gujarat , Rajasthan and Delhi on fire so take it with a bucketful of salt These are pre-run cars though its prudent to follow the above just so that you are familiar with the car characteristics . Do not maintain same rpm for long periods.
Quote:
4. The stock headlights are of no use. Most of the Vento owners here have upgraded to better 100/90 bulbs (with relays). No issues with the warranty of course. Just make sure you get them done by a proper mechanic/garage.
make sure that you use cut-outs , no wires should be cut. As mentioned by Ninja a proper mechanic so that you do not suffer from blown fuses as one of our BHP-ians did

Mod Note: Please don't use bold font within quote tags to respond to posts. It makes it impossible for any other member to quote your response and is also an eyesore. Thanks!

Last edited by noopster : 27th May 2012 at 18:22. Reason: Refer mod note in post
Old 26th May 2012, 20:57   #4409
Senior - BHPian

@rashv - Contrary to what is being written about the HL of the vento, I find them quite OK. I did an bangalore to chennai drive yesterday night and found the illumination quite satisfactory to maintain atleast 80 km/hr. Ofcourse, I have been used to 100/90 W in my swift and that is anyday better than this, but the stock HL's isnt as bad as it is described here. I'd say give it a try and if you find it not upto the mark, then go ahead with the upgrade.
Old 27th May 2012, 12:13   #4410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
@rashv - Contrary to what is being written about the HL of the vento, I find them quite OK. I did an bangalore to chennai drive yesterday night and found the illumination quite satisfactory to maintain atleast 80 km/hr. Ofcourse, I have been used to 100/90 W in my swift and that is anyday better than this, but the stock HL's isnt as bad as it is described here. I'd say give it a try and if you find it not upto the mark, then go ahead with the upgrade.
@rashv - Agree to what Bala has suggested. I am still using the original bulbs in Vento HL TDI for last 31k and would also suggest that you use these for a while and upgrade only if you really need to. I can also say that by experience in last 1.5 years where I have driven the car at night for very long hours and it wasnt insufficient I must admit. I always wanted to upgrade to Xenon headlamps or, higher capacity bulbs but as advised by the head technician(B.U.Bhandari, Pune) there is still no firm confirmation from VW on how the electrical circuit will respond in longer duration with these upgrades. Having said this, even though I would love to have xenon or high power lights but still am scared a bit to take chances with the electricals as there are still quite a few unknowns here. If some issue happens then you have no one except yourself to blame and pay for the amendments. Upto you finally

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks