Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2012, 12:16   #4321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
I have a question to Vento owners: I just had my car's first service, where the workshop charged Rs 1257/- towards Fuel Filter. El_Lobo was mentioning my in my thread that fuel filter for his car was replaced free of cost under warranty. When I checked with the service guys, they said they cannot do it under warranty for me. Can you guys enlighten me on this?
Blackdiesel my car was Mar'11 manufactured and for which they replaced fuel filter under warranty. Even TopSpeeder Vento is Mar'11 manufactured for which they too have replaced FOC under warranty.

What is your car manufacturing date? Most probably it would too be Mar'11. Have it checked and complain too dealer as well as on VW Facebook page. Topspeeder too is from Banglore and has it done from Palace Cross itself.

So definitely Palace Cross is making a quick one. Have it rectified ASAP.
Old 28th April 2012, 13:07   #4322
Senior - BHPian

I just checked the pricelist for chennai and the TDI HL is quoted at 12.43 lakhs OTR. Thinking about it, I just bought it less than an year back for 10.5 OTR, which is almost 2 lakhs less. Road taxes are sure a very expensive proposition both in Bangalore and in Chennai , does any other state levy this expensive taxes for cars costing more than 10L?, Otherwise I feel it is still OK. Just for reference, Verna 1.6 SX CRDI costs 11.4 lakhs OTR which is less than VW by a lakh and is quite substantial!

Also noticed a couple of advertisements in newspapers about the 2012 vento coming with leatherette seats and all. I'd wish VW introduces more shades on the vento in addition to the one's they currently have. Atleast the pepper grey they offer on the polo should make it a lovely shade on the sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
For reference, the 2012 Tdi Highline is still much more expensive at 12.75L OTR here in Bangalore.

Last edited by bala80 : 28th April 2012 at 13:09.
Old 28th April 2012, 13:48   #4323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Blackdiesel my car was Mar'11 manufactured and for which they replaced fuel filter under warranty. Even TopSpeeder Vento is Mar'11 manufactured for which they too have replaced FOC under warranty.
Mine too was changed under warranty without any charges when I had complained of sluggishness. This was a few months back during peak winter. The first thing that VW needs to inculcate among its dealers is a typical German trait called standardization. Highly lacking .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I just checked the pricelist for chennai and the TDI HL is quoted at 12.43 lakhs OTR. Thinking about it, I just bought it less than an year back for 10.5 OTR, which is almost 2 lakhs less. Road taxes are sure a very expensive proposition both in Bangalore and in Chennai , does any other state levy this expensive taxes for cars costing more than 10L?, Otherwise I feel it is still OK.
I just checked on Carwale for Kolkata and they say the OTR here is 11.21 lakhs for the HL diesel. The same for New Delhi is 12 lakhs. Bangalore and Chennai seem to have the highest road taxes on vehicles that cross 10L. But then road taxes here are for 5 years and I would have to pay the same amount again however in your case it probably is lifetime tax. Even then the taxes I would pay for 15 years of ownership would be to the tune of 80K - 1L considering the tax rates remain at same levels.

Quote:
Just for reference, Verna 1.6 SX CRDI costs 11.4 lakhs OTR which is less than VW by a lakh and is quite substantial!
I think while VW is overpriced they should have launched the Comfortline diesel with airbags and ABS to hold some sort of candle to the Verna SX. It would have still cost less than the Verna SX even though none of the models can ever dream of matching Verna in terms of gizmos.

Quote:
Atleast the pepper grey they offer on the polo should make it a lovely shade on the sedan.
I love that shade too. They should seriously think of giving this color on the Vento. Right now though they are busy clearing the Trendline petrol stocks from 2011 through their IPL schemes. This eBay link http://offer.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...m=270962940840 shows how much interest it has generated with people having fun posting some laughable bids.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 28th April 2012 at 13:49.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 19:49   #4324
Senior - BHPian

But the fuel filter replacement more of a VIN batch based change based on the poor design. It was mentioned so in the technical service bulletin. If the vehicle doesnt fall under this category, the replacement will be charged. So, still think it is fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Mine too was changed under warranty without any charges when I had complained of sluggishness. This was a few months back during peak winter. The first thing that VW needs to inculcate among its dealers is a typical German trait called standardization.

Thank you, I never knew this fact before. Taxes that we pay here are for lifetime. however I still feel it is better to pay tax for every 5 years as we hardly ever keep the same car over the period.

Quote:
But then road taxes here are for 5 years and I would have to pay the same amount again however in your case it probably is lifetime tax.
Tell me about it. Comfortline with atleast the ABS and the driver airbag priced below 10 Lakhs ex-showroom would have been an unbeatable value proposition. I still think the VW is a superior car compared to the competition in many aspects, be it the build quality, ride or handling. Having experienced these first hand it is very difficult for me to settle for anything less!

Quote:
I think while VW is overpriced they should have launched the Comfortline diesel with airbags and ABS to hold some sort of candle to the Verna SX. It would have still cost less than the Verna SX even though none of the models can ever dream of matching Verna in terms of gizmos.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 20:14   #4325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also noticed a couple of advertisements in newspapers about the 2012 vento coming with leatherette seats and all.
When I enquired with them I was told they offer insurance free & the delivery can be made in 10 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
why did you then buy the Vento!

I can only smile in reply!
You could have also tag along with them on the test drive vehicle to show the reasons why you have choose VENTO

Quote:
Forget Innova, you'll be able to outrun several hatchbacks, sedans, MUVs & SUVs. And give the rest a good run for their money.
And this is not just on matters of acceleration/speed, but also handling and driveability on all kind of highway roads.
More importantly the person behind the wheels makes a whole lot difference, but agreed on a empty straight double lane highways, vehicle can compensate to greater extent
Old 28th April 2012, 22:28   #4326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
MBut then road taxes here are for 5 years and I would have to pay the same amount again however in your case it probably is lifetime tax.
Interesting - even I wasn't aware of this. How do they exactly track the five year period for cars? I guess it would be upto the owner to renew/re-pay the road tax once the five year tenure gets over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
You could have also tag along with them on the test drive vehicle to show the reasons why you have choose VENTO
Let me put this way - the set of people for whom the above scenario was mentioned start with sedans, then after much deliberations finally pick the Honda City or if they opt for a hatchback, the most likey option is the petrol i20. Most of them hardly go beyond 2500 RPM and rarely opt to use the cars on the highways. Their main requirement is mostly what @sourav suggested, plus one or two more requirements. I doubt a TD on my car would change their mind (although most of them have sat in my car)

OT Question : This is something @mikon and myself were discussing the other day - if I were to get the calipers painted on my car, which color would go with the Shadow Blue color? Just pondering!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th April 2012 at 22:29.
Old 28th April 2012, 23:49   #4327
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, I never knew this fact before. Taxes that we pay here are for lifetime. however I still feel it is better to pay tax for every 5 years as we hardly ever keep the same car over the period.
Yes the taxes are paid twice in 5 year installments and I guess its like a scheme where you can keep the car for another 5 years if you like it . After 10 years it becomes a yearly affair. I doubt if they track anything at any point in that zoo called RTO but recently I have seen some digitization of records and I can see the details of my old Zen online. I hope to find the Vento's details online soon and by soon I mean in a couple of years.

Quote:
Interesting - even I wasn't aware of this. How do they exactly track the five year period for cars? I guess it would be upto the owner to renew/re-pay the road tax once the five year tenure gets over.
Don't think they care to enforce unless they find that you have not paid your road tax during your next renewal visit when they impose a pretty hefty penalty if you are late. The rest of course would be taken care of by the cops if you happen to get caught for any infraction. So I guess its better to be on the right side of the law regarding road tax. All said and done, I guess thankfully road taxes here are on the lower side compared to the rest of the country.
Old 29th April 2012, 18:57   #4328
Senior - BHPian

Hello Surprise

Does this offer hold good even for the 2012 TDI models? I also heard they have increased the corporate discount to some 25k if I'm not mistaken? free insurance +corp discount should bring the OTR to below 12 Lakhs in chennai. I wish VW had priced it properly instead of resorting to such discounts. How about the dealer attitude now? Has it changed for good? Did you talk to Abra or Sundaram?

P.S - Looks like you are pretty serious to pick up one soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
When I enquired with them I was told they offer insurance free & the delivery can be made in 10 days
Old 29th April 2012, 20:13   #4329
BHPian

I could find some time to finish reading the article that came in Economic Times & this piece on the pricing was interesting & thought of sharing with those who might not have read it in ETOI.
Quote:
There is a reason why VW cars have a price premium. When Sunandan Kapur of Krishna Group, a vendor to the likes of Nissan, GM and Fiat, signed up with VW, he had it tough. They insisted on things like robotic welding and radioscopy of welding to detect any chinks in the welding process.

"They are uncompromising on quality," he says. For example, all steel sheets going into VW's car are better quality clad steel. "Many raw materials like steel and plastic, were not meeting our quality standards and our vendors are importing them," says Mahesh Kodumudi, executive director (corporate purchasing), VW India. For example Indian polypropylene, used inside cars, had inconsistent quality and gave off an odour. "We forced the suppliers to import it," he says. The raw material makes 65-70% of the product cost and any rise can push up the end price by 5-6%.

There is an equally unrelenting focus on quality at their plants. All their cars are test driven. Each car goes through a body shop measurement system to ensure 100% build alignment. Subsystems like cockpit and front-axle are currently being done in-house because "sourcing and quality is right now not up to our expectations," says Holger Nestler, executive technical director, VW India.

All this adds to the cost. "We are convinced that our products allow us at least a 5% price premium. That we are absolutely ok with," says Chacko. Anything above that will have to be brought down. Though its time consuming and painstaking, they are feverishly working on indigenisation at every level. They know that a component that costs E[COLOR=inherit]100 in[/COLOR] the western Europe costs E[COLOR=inherit]85 in[/COLOR] India and about E[COLOR=inherit]90 in[/COLOR] China to manufacture. "None of the Indian suppliers met our requirements on batteries. It took us two-three years to develop them but we worked on it," says Kodumudi.
When it came in 2007 virtually all components were imported. Today, out of 119 suppliers, 63 have been developed in India. Out of this, 20 are already exporting to VW's global plants. When Polo was launched its indigenisation content was 50%; it's now 75%. The only thing that is not indigenised is engine and transmission.
"That does not happen easily. These are pretty heavy investments," says Chacko. An engine plant will be critical to bring down the costs. To set it up the minimum volume required is of 200,000-250,000 units. Chacko is now strategising hard to get that scale in India as quickly as possible.
blackdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 20:50   #4330
Senior - BHPian

^^
These and many more such details are chronicled there in noopster's ownership thread of his Vento AT. Him and his friends visited the VW plant.
Old 30th April 2012, 19:35   #4331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Surprise

Does this offer hold good even for the 2012 TDI models? I also heard they have increased the corporate discount to some 25k if I'm not mistaken? free insurance +corp discount should bring the OTR to below 12 Lakhs in chennai. I wish VW had priced it properly instead of resorting to such discounts. How about the dealer attitude now? Has it changed for good? Did you talk to Abra or Sundaram?

P.S - Looks like you are pretty serious to pick up one soon
Yeah, this is for 2012 manufactured cars. ABRA guys attitude has changed a lot, though not much of follow ups as usual. I just keep juggling with this idea....other plan is to retune the FIESTA ........My next upgrade would be a VENTO [Red color] in all probability, but when is the question?
Old 30th April 2012, 21:00   #4332
Senior - BHPian

Finally my Vento has left the factory and is on its way to the dealer! Got his confirmation today (alongwith VIN and engine details)

Unfortunately I am stuck here in Sweden still for 2 more weeks Cannot wait to come back to Bangalore now!
Old 30th April 2012, 21:58   #4333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx
Finally my Vento has left the factory and is on its way to the dealer! Got his confirmation today (alongwith VIN and engine details)

Unfortunately I am stuck here in Sweden still for 2 more weeks Cannot wait to come back to Bangalore now!
Congrats! Atleast now you can see the light at the end of tunnel. Eating for your own thread
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 22:06   #4334
BHPian

Quote:

Great news! Start preparing for your ownership thread. . It's actually good you away. It would have been even more frustrating counting down here in Bangalore!
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 05:42   #4335
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations, I can see the change in your profile picture too It would usually take about 10 days for the car to arrive in the dealers yard, so by the time you return back, you can expect delivery.

Meanwhile enjoy your time in sweden, this is probably the best time of the year to be there.

Quote:

@ Surprise - Please talk to sundaram too, my experience with them was much better compared to Abra. Good luck to you in your decision making, knowing your kind of usage Vento is a good choice.

Last edited by bala80 : 1st May 2012 at 05:45.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks