Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2012, 18:50   #4186
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Congratulations on your new car. You'd probably be getting the car which incorporates all the below mentioned upates/changes. Diesel filter and clutch hose pipe change should have been definitely changed, wait till you get more clarity on the engine mount change. Either ways, you shouldnt be having anything to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Hi i am getting my Vento HL TDI (2012 refresh leatherette seats) soon.

Have seen lot of places in the blog discussing the fuel filter and clutch hose pipe replacements. Why are these needed to be changed? What are the symptoms of the problems caused by these?

Also heard a new hydraulic mounts for the engines.

I am getting a Feb 2012 manufactured (leatherette seat) model. Would these changes be applicable to it?
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 20:13   #4187
BHPian

Thanks Bala! Could you tell me the symptoms of problems arising from diesel filter and clutch hose. Would be really helpful for my peace of mind
Old 18th March 2012, 20:35   #4188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I have just read on the VW Polo India forum that VW is replacing engine mounts on both Vento & Polo irrespective of fuel type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Also heard a new hydraulic mounts for the engines.
It seems the hydraulic engine mounts are mainly for the TDI engine, if you were to believe the VW website.

Performance < Innovations < Welcome to Volkswagen India

And they should have had these on the Polo and Vento from the start. Even the Chevy Beat Diesel has them, AFAIK.

Last edited by nileshch : 18th March 2012 at 20:55.
Old 18th March 2012, 20:50   #4189
Senior - BHPian

They definitely have hydraulic mounts, but looks like VW is changing them on some specific batches of VIN's to an re-designed/better one's probably aimed at reducing the clatter and vibration issues. More clarity is required around this though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
And they should have had these on the Polo and Vento from the start. Even the Chevy Beat Diesel has them, AFAIK.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 12:36   #4190
BHPian

Quote:
I have just read on the VW Polo India forum that VW is replacing engine mounts on both Vento & Polo irrespective of fuel type. First it was door beading, than fuel filter, this next. ...
Thanks for the info.

I have checked with SA in Palace Cross, Blr. After taking my car reg # he confirmed the engine mount replacement for my car. But the clutch hose replacement is based on the car not for all cars??. I didn't check door beading.

Planning to replace this when I go for my 2nd service.
Old 19th March 2012, 13:40   #4191
BHPian

Guys, got the delivery of my Vento TDI Highline - Shadow Blue yesterday. It is shod with JK Vectras.

Is an upgrade necessary? How are the JK's as compared to the Apollos?

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-snc00562.jpg
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 15:20   #4192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
I have checked with SA in Palace Cross, Blr. After taking my car reg # he confirmed the engine mount replacement for my car. But the clutch hose replacement is based on the car not for all cars??. I didn't check door beading.
Even my Vento TDi HL is a Mar'11 manufactured so even it should qualify for it. But is their any benefit of it? Changing engine mounts is no easy job as you need to take the engine weight onto a mechanical machine. Time required would be at least 1 day. As Ricci said If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Doing all this might result in more problem.
I will try and wait for someone who would have got the replacement done to know any particular benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Guys, got the delivery of my Vento TDI Highline - Shadow Blue yesterday. It is shod with JK Vectras.

No. Even I have JK on my VeeDub and they never disappoint me. Have pushed them on the ghats, hit a top whack 186 Kmph and every day at least a short burst of 140 Kmph. No problems. If the road is properly tarred you wont hear any noise keeping the music volume at 6.
Yoko's and Michelin are very soft tyres which makes them easily sustainable to punctures, side wall rupture due to bad roads when we head for long drives.

JK offers best of both worlds, performance as well as reliability on rough roads. My advise use them till they last or if you wish to change, use them for 1 week and then make up your mind.

And finally if you wish to change then go for 205/55/R15 as preferred, it would give a chunky feeling to the car or else 195/60/R15. From what I have read, Yoko C drives makes the steering very light keeping in mind, Vento steering is already an EPS. For 195 section try Michelin Primary LC and for 205 section, not much choice Yokohama S drives.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 19th March 2012 at 15:21.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 16:28   #4193
Senior - BHPian

That was pretty quick, thank you very much TopSpeeder. Since you seem to be in pretty good terms with the SA, please try to get more details around this when you can and if possible. viz,

- What batches of VIN's does this replacement cover?
- Reason for the replacement
- Time and effort needed for the same.

Clutch hose pipe replacement is only if you are receiving any abnormal noise during the regular clutch operation (please refer member Ricky's ownership thread for the complete details) and door beading change is to address squeaking noise from the doors. If you haven't got any of these, dont bother. There is a TSB issued by VW on the door squeaking available on the vento quirks thread, do take a look.

Quote:

I have checked with SA in Palace Cross, Blr. After taking my car reg # he confirmed the engine mount replacement for my car. But the clutch hose replacement is based on the car not for all cars? I didn't check door beading.
Congratulations on your new car. Whether an upgrade to the tyre's are necessary depends on your intended usage of the car. Individual opinions on tyres will vary. For example I wasn't happy with apollo aceleres whereas others on the forum are pretty happy with them so far.

Take a call depending on your usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post

Old 20th March 2012, 01:42   #4194
BHPian

Hi, Thanks for your advises and i saw it a while ago and waiting for my friend's decision to update you. Anyway 2011 Vento is now reached his home at 10.40 L. its a Nov 2011 model. I checked both VIN and its road-worthiness certificate from the VW. Meanwhile new Vento is out,and its not hurting him due to this 90K discount

@ ninjatalli . I cant access my a/c for a while due password problem and the email linked with my id.hence I browsed as a guest for a while.Anyway now my a/c is okay and planning to do some nice threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
That's quite a good difference of $$. In other posts on various threads, I believe the Nov & Dec 2011 batch diesel Ventos have been cleared out. Check if that is the case at your dealer. And if its pre-Oct Ventos you are getting, I'll recommend a very thorough PDI - look at every nook & corner for rusting and other issues. If its Nov & Dec batch, I wouldn't worry much (assuming the car's PDI goes well) about the car's reliability or resale value - it is still a very good deal. And I believe the new Ventos don't have any additional features, just the "improved" seat covers.

OT - Jan 2006 join date & 13 posts? Did you go on hibernation?
Old 20th March 2012, 10:18   #4195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
- What batches of VIN's does this replacement cover?
- Reason for the replacement
- Time and effort needed for the same.

Clutch hose pipe replacement is only if you are receiving any abnormal noise during the regular clutch operation (please refer member Ricky's ownership thread for the complete details) and door beading change is to address squeaking noise from the doors. If you haven't got any of these, dont bother. There is a TSB issued by VW on the door squeaking available on the vento quirks thread, do take a look.
This morning I have called him again to get some more details.
This will take approx half a day job to replace the engine mount.

The reason for replacing engine mount seems to be relates to noise/sound you get when you go over hump. Did anyone noticed this?. I haven't, but now on wards I will pay more attention and reply when I notice it. Also this seems to be not related to engine clatter sound.

I couldn't get VIN batches. He was not willing to say that.

Quote:
Even my Vento TDi HL is a Mar'11 manufactured so even it should qualify for it. But is their any benefit of it? Changing engine mounts is no easy job as you need to take the engine weight onto a mechanical machine. Time required would be at least 1 day
I'm not sure we could consider this as optional one, If VW says we need to replace I would go by their words. I hope the VW service center people are well trained to perform this task.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 12:16   #4196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reason for replacing engine mount seems to be relates to noise/sound you get when you go over hump. Did anyone noticed this?. I haven't, but now on wards I will pay more attention and reply when I notice it. Also this seems to be not related to engine clatter sound.
I thought as much , it could have been due to vibration but it cannot be related to engine clatter .

On the matter of whether it is required or not , I am perplexed ( and disappointed to a large extent) on why VW is not issuing a clarification or communication ! Either VW is callous ( which in many ways they have proved that they are ) or the matter is so trivial that it can be ignored !
As of now , I have started the engine and checked for issues with unnatural vibration in the engine mount area and have not noticed anything untoward so I am choosing to delay the matter of engine mount till the next service i.e.4-5 months . Like many here , I do not want my car to be fiddled around by the workshop guys especially the Nerul workshop .
Mumbai folks - how has been your experience with the downtown / andheri workshops ? Any feedback would be appreciated
Old 20th March 2012, 20:56   #4197
BHPian

I saw an option in my Vento for Bluetooth Audio. I tried to switch on the BT in the stock ICE and tried to search but could not detect it. Can it be activated? If the option was available, why could'nt VW give this feature also??

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img2012031900083.jpg
Old 20th March 2012, 23:27   #4198
Senior - BHPian

Ah, thanks TopSpeeder, this clears it all.

This is nothing new, this technical bulletin has been issued long back and was originally posted by our member dingolphie too. I'm attaching it again with this post for all your reference.

This document has the VIN batches which needs this change too. If your VIN falls before this cut off (I think so?) then you may be eligible for this change.

Quote:

The reason for replacing engine mount seems to be relates to noise/sound you get when you go over hump.

I couldn't get VIN batches. He was not willing to say that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I thought as much , it could have been due to vibration but it cannot be related to engine clatter .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Noise from front of car.pdf (113.7 KB, 698 views)
Old 21st March 2012, 09:45   #4199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Ah, thanks TopSpeeder, this clears it all.

This is nothing new, this technical bulletin has been issued long back and was originally posted by our member dingolphie too. I'm attaching it again with this post for all your reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post

On the matter of whether it is required or not , I am perplexed ( and disappointed to a large extent) on why VW is not issuing a clarification or communication ! Either VW is callous ( which in many ways they have proved that they are ) or the matter is so trivial that it can be ignored !
As of now
You guys helped to get bottom of this issue. So whats the final verdict?? We have to go for this change or not?

I'm just attaching the screenshot from bala's attachment
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-noice_issue.jpg

If there is gap, Will this increase the engine noise in normal run?.
Also the word hydraulic tells me that some better/advanced engine mount, Is this true?
Old 21st March 2012, 12:48   #4200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You guys helped to get bottom of this issue. So whats the final verdict?? We have to go for this change or not?

I'm just attaching the screenshot from bala's attachment

If there is gap, Will this increase the engine noise in normal run?.
Also the word hydraulic tells me that some better/advanced engine mount, Is this true?
If there is a noise then go for the change , else wait till your next service . Simple check is to start the car and open the bonnet , can you hear any abnormal vibration noise ( pls distinguish it from the normal TDi rattle ) ? If there is any problem with the engine mount the engine would shake abnormally which can be detected visually . If there is nothing untoward I guess the half a day engine mount replacement procedure is not required - at least thats the approach I am taking . During my next service , I would have it verified .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks