Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 11:00   #3526
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post

[*]Its very difficult to manager shifts between the 1st & 2nd gear without a violent jerk. I transitioned to moving on - from stand still - using gear 2, it works but am worried that it might not be good for the engine to start from 2nd gear always in B2B traffic. But if I move from 1 and shift to 2 I am not able to do an proper acceleration without a jerk. Coming from driving a line of petrol cars for the past 12 years its pretty embarrassing (makes me feel I am a novice). Is this regular or am I doing something wrong here. Any advise is welcome.
I also felt this initially. But you can delay the release of the clutch for the first few hundred kms till you get used to the car. Let the release be gradual and slow. Then you will not find the jerk. Also never take your leg from the clutch when you are in 1st gear. I dont think you will need to use 1st gear for extended period of time and usually you will quickly change to 2nd. So release the clutch 75 % from 1st before pressing it again completely, change to 2nd and gradually release. Sorry if this sounds very complicated, but this trick worked for me and now I don't find any jerks(If you leave the morons who try to cut across you in traffic) at all!
Old 25th November 2011, 11:09   #3527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
So its 48 hrs since I took delivery and my MID reads 275Kms (45 when I took delivery). So following are my short observations..

Worries:
  • Its very difficult to manager shifts between the 1st & 2nd gear without a violent jerk. I transitioned to moving on - from stand still - using gear 2, it works but am worried that it might not be good for the engine to start from 2nd gear always in B2B traffic. But if I move from 1 and shift to 2 I am not able to do an proper acceleration without a jerk. Coming from driving a line of petrol cars for the past 12 years its pretty embarrassing (makes me feel I am a novice). Is this regular or am I doing something wrong here. Any advise is welcome.
  • While in gears 1,2 & 3 (specially 2 & 3) pressing the clutch fully gives me some sort of odd feeling as if the clutch is moving through an uneven patch of oil. I hear a mild sound as if you wade your hand in a bucket of water. Its smooth for the other gear. Any thoughts ?
Niggles:
  • I really dont like the panel gaps between the doors. The jetta has a rubber beading in the gap. Its blank in the vento and makes it look like its not set in properly. I have observed this in about 12 odd vento's I looked around in the showroom
  • I hear a small hissing sound every time the car goes over a bump. I zeroed it to the air conditioning equipment. Its like as if extra air is pushed out and it makes a very very miniscule hiss.
  • The engine is really loud from the outside - But hell who cares the cabin is relatively decently insulated.
  • There are some vibrations that propagate into cabin when the car is at stand still, reminds me of a Tata Sumo
  • While driving with my window open I realized that every time the car goes over a speed breaker in some speed there is some hiss that comes from the front part of the car (probably the suspension) that you traditionally hear from a bus with air-suspension (If you know what I mean). Is this common ?
  • The dealers s**k. The idiots dint activate my auto speed lock despite specific instruction.
Love:
  • Its amazing to drive & I love every aspect of the car. Period.
Accessories:
  • Added 3D Maxspider mats (Rs. 5200/-). I just did it today evening and later in the day we had to put up with heavy rains. Thank goodness I dint have to worry about people dirtying the carpet with slush.
  • Going in for 3M sun filming tomorrow. Any suggestions here are welcome.
  • Planning for leather seats from Stanley but that might have to wait until after next week.
You are experiencing jerks because you are not shifting early. Mods and pros can correct me here but this is what happens with you. You start in first gear, as soon as the clutch is released, you press the accelerator, the engine is in torque band now, you feel the need to move to second gear, you release the accelerator, the rpm drops and engine is out of torque band, you experience a jerk.

Solution: shift early and use minimum accelerator push as vento has negligible turbo lag. The third gear is what you should be using the most as it's like automatic. I have taken it from 30 to 120 in 3rd gear and she likes it.

Since this is your first diesel car, make a habit of not using the accelerator in vento before the clutch is fully released in the 1st and 2nd gear. This should help.
ramneek009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 13:40   #3528
BHPian

Any AT owners here have got any service experience? What were the kind of charges to be paid for the service?
Old 25th November 2011, 14:35   #3529
BHPian

I just saw this on VW website today. I dont know if this has been discussed in this forum. Check this link.

Surface refinement with interior enrichment & AC Disinfectant costs INR 4200

The last two costs INR 2500.

Is it worth it?
Old 25th November 2011, 21:36   #3530

Dear bhpians,

I'm a proud owner of a VW Vento now. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It really helped me make the decision. Will post my ownership thread soon.

Got the Highline TDI. Terra Beige (not too many bhpians with this color I guess).
Accessories: Mud flaps, 3D kagu mats, V-kool sun film.

Problems: very hard reverse gear - slots into reverse, quite a battle to get it back to neutral. Popped into the service centre and the SA got the mechanics to diagnose.... Surprise surprise!!! They have to replace a part to fix it! Hmm so much for a 12 lakh rupee German car when I have barely driven 300kms. It will take a week to fix as the part has to arrive from Germany! SA told me to continue driving (struggling), he will call me when the part has arrived.
I have read about a few others facing similar problems.... Didn't see anyone needing a part replacement. Will keep everyone posted on the progress.
Old 26th November 2011, 00:46   #3531
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamHuduga View Post
Dear bhpians,

I'm a proud owner of a VW Vento now. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It really helped me make the decision. Will post my ownership thread soon.

Got the Highline TDI. Terra Beige (not too many bhpians with this color I guess).

Problems: very hard reverse gear - slots into reverse, quite a battle to get it back to neutral. Popped into the service centre and the SA got the mechanics to diagnose.... Surprise surprise!!! They have to replace a part to fix it! Hmm so much for a 12 lakh rupee German car when I have barely driven 300kms. It will take a week to fix as the part has to arrive from Germany! SA told me to continue driving (struggling), he will call me when the part has arrived.
I have read about a few others facing similar problems.... Didn't see anyone needing a part replacement. Will keep everyone posted on the progress.
NamHuduga congrats! I like the Terra Beige shade of Vento and if I would have booked a Vento, that's the colour I would have chosen. Drive safe and have fun. Hope to see your ownership thread (possibly first one with Terra Beige shade) with lots of pics soon.

Interesting to note that you needed a part replacement so soon.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 08:42   #3532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear bhpians,

Problems: very hard reverse gear
Congratulations @Namhuduga. TB is a rare color for the Vento. In addition to TBHP, I am yet to see one in Pune or Mumbai. Would bee nice to see how the car looks in that color.

As for the replacing of the part, I believe you would have tried a TD car too, was your delivery car's reverse gear different from that of the TD car?

Others - isn't spare parts turning out to be a delay aspect for VW? @souravc's beadings took time, @ricky's clutch part is yet to come, now @Namgudu has to wait for the gear part.
Old 26th November 2011, 09:27   #3533

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

As for the replacing of the part, I believe you would have tried a TD car too, was your delivery car's reverse gear different from that of the TD car?
Thanks @ninjatalli
The TD car was fine, a slight nudge and the gear was back to neutral.
Old 26th November 2011, 10:10   #3534
BHPian

Quote:
Dear bhpians,

Congrats NamHuduga!! Welcome to Vento club.

Sorry to hear about the reverse gear problem. I know how it feels. When I took delivery 6 months back, I had a problem with the window-glass locking. They replaced the whole inside-door unit with a new one to repair it! In your case, its even worse as you have to wait for it!

Anyway, it wouldnt stop you from enjoying the power though
blackdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 21:40   #3535
BHPian

I have a problem with power windows not rolling up or down using the hold button function on the key, plus thanks to low GC, the car hit a weird speed braker and the fog light bulb got dislocated. Will get both these fixed next month, hopefully the labor charges won't be too high. Also got a birthday cake from VW Delhi South for the second consecutive year
Old 28th November 2011, 22:38   #3536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
I have a problem with power windows not rolling up or down using the hold button function on the key, plus thanks to low GC, the car hit a weird speed braker and the fog light bulb got dislocated. Will get both these fixed next month, hopefully the labor charges won't be too high. Also got a birthday cake from VW Delhi South for the second consecutive year
When you keep the lock button on the remote pressed the windows roll up or down. If its not happening get it checked. Might be some fault with remote or may be ECU. You might have really went quick over the speed breaker for the fog light to dislodge. GC in Vento is 168 cms which is acceptable when Honda City comes with just 160 cms that too with soft suspension setup. Try to go real slow over speed breakers.
Receiving birthday cake second consecutive time is just great, say something about dealership experience. On a side note happy birthday.
Old 28th November 2011, 23:24   #3537
BHPian

Quote:
When you say its "quiet a battle to get it back to neutral" do you mean it in relative to other gears like 1 to neutral or 2 to neutral or do you mean to say its very hard that you have to fight with it. My experience - While 'R' to neutral is not a simple flick its not like I have to fight with it. A slight pressure and it pops back. I did find it a bit hard in the beginning but its eased up considerably (Car is 6 days and 988 Kms old). Did they tell what was wrong and what part they are waiting for ?

Other vento owners, can you share your thought. If its something that has to set off the alarm then I will take it to the SA else, I will be happy with what I have and would not like to open the box.

Quote:
Btw @SR-71/@Bala80 - possible to have a short meetup over the weekend? Put up near Mylapore. Do PM if possible.
OT.. My apologies Ninja, saw the message a tad bit late.. I was away over the weekend attending a wedding. If you are still around we can catch up. I haven't heard in a while from Bala. Probably he is traveling or busy with work.

BTW - I had an opportunity for a 700 Kms highway (return) drive over the weekend. The car rode like a dream. On the return leg the MDI showed 23.2 Kmpl as average !! For a split second the monster in me took over and i depressed the accelerator to see her leap from 90 to 175 (early morning 5:30 am on a empty 4 lane stretch in a area with zero settlement around the roads) before sanity took over and I dropped down to 90. That was mind blowing. While I do NOT intend to employ these speeds anytime in the future it did show me what the car is capable off.

Last edited by SR-71 : 28th November 2011 at 23:33.
Old 28th November 2011, 23:30   #3538
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly a very happy birthday to you .

Secondly its the first time I have heard the Vento scraping any speed breaker or bump on this forum. I also own the previous generation Zen which has scraped almost all bumps and potholes in the Mars landscaped roads of Kolkata. Compared to that, the Vento has not scraped a single bump ever till now even though both the cars were driven at the same speed.

As el lobo mentioned, might be a better idea to go a little slow on the breakers and bumps and check if it happens again. Small humps and bumps are actually eaten up without any issues by the Vento, the larger ones as with all other cars need to be handled with care
Old 28th November 2011, 23:33   #3539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
When you keep the lock button on the remote pressed the windows roll up or down. If its not happening get it checked. Might be some fault with remote or may be ECU. You might have really went quick over the speed breaker for the fog light to dislodge. GC in Vento is 168 cms which is acceptable when Honda City comes with just 160 cms that too with soft suspension setup. Try to go real slow over speed breakers.
Receiving birthday cake second consecutive time is just great, say something about dealership experience.
I'm sure the remote is fine since its not working even with the spare key. Earlier it used to work so I guess its a firmware problem with the ECU. Will also get autolock enabled while I'm there.

I'm only guessing it was a speed breaker, I am not sure what caused it. The fog light is intact, its the bulb which got dislodged from the socket, teared through the plastic covering protecting the engine and is hanging down from it. Interestingly all connections are still intact and the bulb glows. Saved a huge replacement bill there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
On a side note happy birthday.
Thanks you
Old 28th November 2011, 23:49   #3540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
7000 kms, and have gone over all kinds of bumps & craters across the country, but haven't yet scrapped the bottom. Wonder what kind of monster speed braker you faced!

Although I have done the opposite quite a few times, go over humps at high speeds & face the music - can't put it exactly in words, but Captain Haddock puts it perfectly the reaction I get from my co-passengers everytime I make that mistake

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-flying-low.jpg

P.s. Quick quiz - guess the book (now don't say Tintin!)

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th November 2011 at 23:52.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks