Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2015, 22:19   #8026
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfacer View Post
Mr Ninjatalli, if you find the question rhetoric, then it would be best that you leave it unanswered.. Anybody who has not owned a VW car before and read through this thread with a hope buying one now, will have the same questions that I do... Considering its the festival season and the big offers coming out of Volkswagen, I think its important that people like me who don't know both sides of the coin, understand this from people who have owned these cars before... And I still do maintain that anybody spending their hard earned money on their dream cars, shouldn't have to invest only to find their cars perennially in the workshop... I am not saying that its the case with VW, but when you a buy car, its for the complete package which also includes the ASS.. It sure does look like things have improved over the last few years and if it continues to do so, I would be more than happy to swap my car for a VW
Welcome to team-bhp and hope you understand how the forum works for a better experience for one and all. We come here for help/advice and try to give as much back as possible, while (trying to) keep emotions out of it, and stick to the point even if sometimes the reverts aren't to the liking of all.

As for answering the question, I gave you the answer - it's up to you to value the actual feedback from a VW car owner who's been involved with the brand/organzation as a customer for close to 4+ years, someone who's seen the good and the bad of VW services over that time.

And as for the rhetorical-ness aspect, if you didn't get the idea, then let me explain - it would have been a worthwhile question if you had put this question BEFORE going ahead with the purchase. You aren't buying a mobile phone that you are going to "exchange" within a year or so.

Unless of course that you are looking to buy another car, which in that case, I and many more on this forum would be glad to help.
Old 10th November 2015, 14:51   #8027
BHPian

Hi folks

I have completed about 2 years of owning a Vento 1.6 Petrol (Manual Transmission) and have done about 24k KMs in it. Of late though, I have been noticing quite a lot of rattling / squawking noises, which I reckon are emanating from:

1. The glovebox area - the rattling sound generally lasts for about the first 15 to 20 minutes of the drive and then for some strange reason completely goes away. Also, if I tend to slightly push the glovebox door with my hand, the noise disappears.

2. Steering column / dashboard area - There's quite a bit of noise from the front of the car when I drive over even the slightest of the potholes / bumps. Again, the noise is very inconsistent. Sometimes the ride is smooth and sometimes the noise frustrates the hell out of me.

During the second year service, the SA got the door hinges / joints lubricated to resolve this issue and the car ran rattle-free for about a month or so of getting serviced, but the noises cropped up again.

Anyone else faced similar issues on their Ventos? Thought that it would be great if I get some feedback on this before visiting the workshop again.

Thank you!

PS: First post!
Old 16th November 2015, 10:13   #8028
BHPian

Hi ostreichwein! Welcome and congrats on your first post. I own a Diesel Vento for 3 years now. I haven't come across noise from the areas mentioned by you. The only noise I got inside the car is from the seat belt buckle rubbing against the side of the seat. Solved by placing a tissue paper between the two
Old 16th November 2015, 12:06   #8029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostreichwein View Post
1. The glovebox area - the rattling sound generally lasts for about the first 15 to 20 minutes of the drive and then for some strange reason completely goes away. Also, if I tend to slightly push the glovebox door with my hand, the noise disappears.
Have never faced this, but could be accumulated dirt at the joints. Have you tried lubrication? Just get the VW service centre to use the same spray that they used on the doors - it cleans and lubricates, and my sense is, should fix the issue permanently.

Quote:
2. Steering column / dashboard area - There's quite a bit of noise from the front of the car when I drive over even the slightest of the potholes / bumps. Again, the noise is very inconsistent. Sometimes the ride is smooth and sometimes the noise frustrates the hell out of me.
In this absence of knowledge about the kind of noise, I'd say it could point to either your front bushes needing replacement, or the steering column. Bushes is easy to figure out; about the steering column, go with a VW test driver on a long drive until you can replicate the issue, so that you can get it changed within warranty (Trust you have extended warranty, if not, get it).

The steering column of my 2011 TDI was replaced within 6 months of buying the car, when the noise was barely audible, and hence more difficult to detect - guessing I got a bad batch. But after that it's been a dream run.

Quote:
During the second year service, the SA got the door hinges / joints lubricated to resolve this issue and the car ran rattle-free for about a month or so of getting serviced, but the noises cropped up again.
In my case, I get the doors sprayed once a year, during service, and it usually keeps my car quiet through the year. Once, the noise surfaced after I used water extensively on door rubbers during a clean-up, but for me, this annual ritual fixes the door problem.

Alternately, look at this link for a simple DIY fix to this problem.
Fix door rattles on your Vento

Last edited by bosporus : 16th November 2015 at 12:07.
Old 16th November 2015, 15:55   #8030
BHPian

Dear Ventonians,
So the inevitable has finally happened. After 2.2 years of blissful ownership experience of my September 2013 Vento 1.6 Diesel Highline, calamity struck on "Friday The 13th" as my car refused to start in the evening after a routine stop at a friend's place for a couple of hours. Observed the warning lights with a special attention to the glowplug symbol but it was glowing or flashing much to my relief. Called up the Volkswagen toll-free helpline for assistance. The guy at the other end asked me if the power windows, indicators, headlights etc were working & I answered him in the affirmative after checking. Next he asked me if I could hear the engine cranking upon turning the ignition key & again I answered in the affirmative after checking. He then advised me that the fuel pump/motor might have stopped working due to which the vehicle isn't starting & hence needs to be towed to the service center. Called up the 24/7 road side assistance helpline to request for the flatbed towing service & to my horror, realized that I hadn't renewed the warranty (extended) once the current warranty had expired after completing 2 years on 1st September 2015. I was informed that the towing service would cost me Rs.4000/- & I had to wait till the next day since the flatbed towing service was not available at the time. It was already nightfall by then & I decided to retire for the day. On Saturday morning, my friend guided me to a local towing service guy who helped me tow my car to Volkswagen Palace Cross service center in Rajajinagar by which time it was 1 PM in the noon. Since it was a Saturday, I was told that there were too many vehicles lined up for their annual service which had to be given precedence as they had all arrived via prior appointment & my vehicle would be looked into only after they are all dealt with. Mr. Bopanna has been appointed the service advisor for my case & he regretfully told me that I will have to wait till Monday (Sunday being a weekly holiday) till I hear back from them about the findings. It is 3:45 PM on Monday afternoon while I write this & I still haven’t heard back. Sincerely hope that this incident doesn't turn into one of those infamous VAG break-down service ordeals. Fingers crossed!

Request advice on what to expect next from my fellow Vento owners. Appreciate your responses.
Old 16th November 2015, 16:31   #8031
BHPian

Guys need an advice. Today I went to mahindra first choice centre and swapped my headlamps with the ones I got from power bulbs. I was charged 268 rs itemed as holder replacement and labour. I feel I was ripped off. Can you guys throw some light on this as I have zero knowledge on this matter?
Old 16th November 2015, 17:11   #8032
BHPian

Hi Auto Verruckt,
I too faced a similar situation few months back. A Volkswagen engineer came the next day to my place and he tried to start, my car started immediately!!! It might have been a fuel pump blockage or something which got fine after sometime. Went to the service station same day and they did a scan but could not find any faults. Hence I had no other choice but to drive back. Still worried if this might happen again.
Old 16th November 2015, 21:41   #8033
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Does VW's extended warranty cover electrical items too? I'm currently in my 3rd year of ownership and was wondering if I should upgrade the stock headlights with brighter bulbs. Of course, this would mean wire cutting and additional relays which would void warranty, but does it exist in the first place? A friend of mine told that electrical warranty is only for the first 6 months.
1. If you have the H4 headlights then 100w relay wont cut wires.
2. Projectors also if done properly wont require cutting of wires

No wire cut = easy to revert back = Warranty should still be a peaceful affair.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 22:17   #8034
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Verruckt View Post
Request advice on what to expect next from my fellow Vento owners. Appreciate your responses.
Really sorry to hear that. It could be a bad fuel pump. You meant you don't have an extended warranty on the car?
Old 16th November 2015, 22:48   #8035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Really sorry to hear that. It could be a bad fuel pump. You meant you don't have an extended warranty on the car?
Unfortunately yes, that's what I meant, I don't have extended warranty . I just can't understand how the fuel pump, a part which is unexposed to external factors and one which is housed inside the fuel tank immersed in fuel, could have conked just after 2 years which in my opinion is way too early in a vehicle's life cycle.
Old 16th November 2015, 23:22   #8036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Ventonians,
So the inevitable has finally happened.
Sorry to hear about that but as Gannu says, this looks like a failure of the fuel pump since the car is cranking fine but it is just not starting. Did you face any issues before this happened? Long cranks on start up or reduced power output while accelerating.
Old 16th November 2015, 23:36   #8037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Sorry to hear about that but as Gannu says, this looks like a failure of the fuel pump since the car is cranking fine but it is just not starting. Did you face any issues before this happened? Long cranks on start up or reduced power output while accelerating.
Nope, never faced issues of long cranks or drop in power.
Old 17th November 2015, 05:08   #8038
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, never faced issues of long cranks or drop in power.
The same happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I had even posted my experience here. Thankfully I had opted for extended warranty and the fuel pump was changed under warranty. It is supposedly due to accumulated gunk in the fuel tank.
Old 17th November 2015, 07:42   #8039
BHPian

Quote:
I just can't understand how the fuel pump, a part which is unexposed to external factors and one which is housed inside the fuel tank immersed in fuel, could have conked just after 2 years which in my opinion is way too early in a vehicle's life cycle.
Experienced the same issue with my Rapid 4 months back and got it replaced under warranty. The fuel pump might be an internal component but it do get exposed to many harsh elements.
  • Low quality and adulterated fuel (common adulterants being ethanol, kerosene, etc.,)
  • Debris, rust and dirt in the fuel tank (These enter the pump along with fuel and cause excessive wear of the components eventually leading to pump failure)
  • Running vehicle on low fuel level (Gets overheated owing to increased work of pumping the fuel)

All these things do happen in our country in variable proportions leading to fuel pump related issues.

This issue being commonly seen in VW group cars might be attributed to poor pump design or sensitive components of their pump IMHO.

The best we can do to prevent such woes in future is by using good quality fuel from a reliable fuel station and always maintaining fuel level above 1/4th mark.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 17th November 2015 at 07:46. Reason: Added text
Old 17th November 2015, 09:19   #8040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
1. If you have the H4 headlights then 100w relay wont cut wires.
2. Projectors also if done properly wont require cutting of wires

No wire cut = easy to revert back = Warranty should still be a peaceful affair.
I went to a well reputed local workshop yesterday and asked them about the same. Was hoping to replace the stock bulbs with Osram's 80/100 ones. They said that although there's no wire cutting involved, VW can technically nullify my warranty based on the extra relay and stuff. I just took the extended warranty 5 months back primarily because of the injector issues that has cropped up in many Ventos. Now I'm really confused. Could really use some better headlights to make those night drives safer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks