Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2015, 17:49   #8011
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhul View Post
Oil consumption? It was never below the danger limit and ideally last till second service where they completely change oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Depends on driving style and kilometers covered. Mostly after first service, engine oil easily lasts for 15,000 Kms without refills.
During the 7.5 k checkup, the ASS filled about 600 ml of engine oil( as per the bill). After the first service at around 21k, the oil level was found at level C (it was a big mistake that we did not check the oil level on receiving the car back from service). Filled about 700 ml to get the level just about A.

I would like to know the causes of oil consumption. I find most reasons on the internet to be applicable to high mileage engines.
1. Is engine lugging a cause? VW say it's not bad for the engine (I saw it in some supplement given with the car)
2. I kind of learned driving in this car (obviously after going to the so called 'driving schools') and stalled many times (I think you maybe able to relate to that). Approx 40 times (definitely not more than that)
Would appreciate your valuable inputs
Regards
Turbohead

Last edited by Turbohead : 6th November 2015 at 18:10. Reason: Mods, you can delete the previous post I put up. The current one is more detailed. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 6th November 2015, 19:03   #8012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Before first service we filled about 600ml (at the service centre). After first service we filled more than 700ml (on our own).
What are the factors that can cause oil consumption? Lugging the engine? I happened to learn driving in this car (after the course from the 'driving school') ( after first service) and stalled the car approximately 40 times. Is that a factor?
I have been topping up oil for my Vento TDI 1.6. It is about 500 to 700 ml around 7k to 10 mark after every service. I have completed 63K kilometres and 4th service is done.

I used to top up when it goes below B mark as a precaution. I do not know why the oil level goes down. I always check the oil level when engine is warm.

I do not know if stalling engine would result in more oil consumption. I have not been stalling the engine and still the oil level goes down.
AutoInt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 19:13   #8013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
I have been topping up oil for my Vento TDI 1.6. It is about 500 to 700 ml around 7k to 10 mark after every service. I have completed 63K kilometres and 4th service is done.

I used to top up when it goes below B mark as a precaution. I do not know why the oil level goes down. I always check the oil level when engine is warm.

I do not know if stalling engine would result in more oil consumption. I have not been stalling the engine and still the oil level goes down.
Can you elaborate on your driving style, driving conditions, city/highway usage etc?
Old 6th November 2015, 21:23   #8014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Can you elaborate on your driving style, driving conditions, city/highway usage etc?
My driving is 70% in city and 30% on highway. Bangalore city traffic, stop and go traffic. Daily commute is about 30 km in city. 3 to 4 long highway trips in a year (about 5k kilometres). On an average about 15k kilometres in a year.
AutoInt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 22:39   #8015
BHPian

I think all VW Vento/ Skoda Rapids have this issue of oil level dropping in around 7K kms. My Rapid is now 70K kms and i have been topping up 500 ml to 700 ml every 7K.

I do check my oil levels every 2 weeks or before every long ride and have found the levels going down after around 7K. its been a pattern.

Keep checking oil levels around this time as the light in engine comes up very late for you to do any sort of recovery.
Old 7th November 2015, 09:27   #8016

I've been following this thread very closely. I was very close to swapping my City for a Vento (with all the great discounts).. I however finally decided to give the Vento a pass after looking at the number of people reporting engine & mechanical failures... Yes, its a german car and the ride, stability, built & comfort is great... But I don't think anybody expects to pay 13 lakhs for a car and then spend a significant amount of time in the workshop

Is there a reason why we are seeing so many engine & mechanical issues in Volkswagen cars ? They are german right, so naturally we come to expect reliability... In the last 4 years that I've been using my City, not once have I ever had to send my car to the workshop for failure of any parts..

Again I am not generalizing, but with all the research I did, the issues in the Vento & Polo just seem to be a lot more.. I am hoping somebody can convince me otherwise as I would love to buy a Volkswagen at some point in time

I finally settled for the New Figo 1.5 TDCI Titanium as a second car.. And the City still proudly parked beside it
Old 7th November 2015, 10:38   #8017
BHPian

Hi surfacer,the newer VWs are almost trouble free. Though I can't vouch Japanese reliability,I can safely tell they are reliable from a common point of view.
Yes ,there were and are issues with older batches of ventos,especially with regard to fuel pump and injectors. But I am sure the current BHPian owned ventos are very reliable(90%). The ride,comfort and power will be definitely worth the 10% risk IMHO. That said ,their maintanence costs are definitely be slightly higher than what you would've shelled out till now.
Old 7th November 2015, 14:28   #8018
BHPian

i have been using my rapid for last 3.2 years, rode 70K kms on it and ihave never had to take the car back to the service station for any failures. just normal service.
Old 7th November 2015, 16:07   #8019
BHPian

My petrol vento has completed 17k kms, jan 2014 car. The only issue ive had is a slight rattling from the rear. Other than that, its been to the service centre only for scheduled services
Old 7th November 2015, 18:51   #8020
Senior - BHPian

AC Issues

My car's AC did not work suddenly one Monday morning. Dropped it at VW Palace cross service in Rajajinagar on Tuesday. They started trouble shooting from fan which was not working. They then filled the gas and found after a long engine running that it was leaking.
They then removed the dash and found the evaporator coil had the problem.

In between they had wait 2 days for some tool not being available. Now they have ordered the parts and I am expected to get the vehicle mid next week or later.

If it was a Maruti car, I would have assumed trouble shooting in a day and max 1 or 2 extra days for everything to be done. My neighbour's Jetta had a similar problem where he had to wait for 2 weeks for some part and he was pissed off too.

If you dont have other cars in the house, it would be even more frustrating I guess :(

Last edited by srishiva : 7th November 2015 at 18:53.
Old 7th November 2015, 21:26   #8021
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfacer View Post
I've been following this thread very closely. I was very close to swapping my City for a Vento (with all the great discounts).. I however finally decided to give the Vento a pass after looking at the number of people reporting engine & mechanical failures.
I am hoping somebody can convince me otherwise as I would love to buy a Volkswagen at some point in time
I finally settled for the New Figo 1.5 TDCI Titanium as a second car.. And the City still proudly parked beside it
I don't see the need of this rhetorical question considering you have already made your decision and are probably not going to go through that again in the near future atleast for a few years - a lot might change wrt to how VW fares in the Indian market and the choice of cars available then.

However the basic fact is this - VW cars are fantastic - most (if not all) owners on the forum will vouch for that.

What is the problem are the dealers and how they perform across the cities. And on a secondary note, how VW deals with bad dealers.

This goes for most brands, some got it good (like Suzuki), some got it bad (like Skoda). VW's stuck in the middle.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 01:39   #8022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've been following this thread very closely. I was very close to swapping my City for a Vento (with all the great discounts).. I however finally decided to give the Vento a pass after looking at the number of people reporting engine & mechanical failures... Yes, its a german car and the ride, stability, built & comfort is great... But I don't think anybody expects to pay 13 lakhs for a car and then spend a significant amount of time in the workshop

Is there a reason why we are seeing so many engine & mechanical issues in Volkswagen cars ? They are german right, so naturally we come to expect reliability... In the last 4 years that I've been using my City, not once have I ever had to send my car to the workshop for failure of any parts..

Again I am not generalizing, but with all the research I did, the issues in the Vento & Polo just seem to be a lot more.. I am hoping somebody can convince me otherwise as I would love to buy a Volkswagen at some point in time

I face similar Dilemna, i had finalized the vento TSi and they offered me 29k discount, 22k for free insurance and 7k for corporate discount.

I wanted the Highline Plus variant and they told me it was only in MT and not for other customers(one who is paying more then the MT variant), so i told them that give me a higher up email i wold want to shoot them an email about this stupidity. Where in i understand they are trying to move the excess stock in MT by this, i disagree that other people who are ready to pay the amount should not get it(i was about to book TSi HL).

Its sad to see with all the shit VW is going through they would still want to act so Cocky(You can't put this accessory, you can't do this, you can't do that, we will not offer you stuff). Probably this was the time for them to leave there arrogance behind and be with the customer.

They finally came back and offered me just the touch screen system for 55k, also adding that if i add something after market i will by all probability lose my warranty. Well VW, thanks, happy with the City and that can last me another 3 years easy. Just that the auto engine was a gem, well another day then.
Old 8th November 2015, 10:45   #8023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I don't see the need of this rhetorical question considering you have already made your decision and are probably not going to go through that again in the near future atleast for a few years - a lot might change wrt to how VW fares in the Indian market and the choice of cars available then.

However the basic fact is this - VW cars are fantastic - most (if not all) owners on the forum will vouch for that.

What is the problem are the dealers and how they perform across the cities. And on a secondary note, how VW deals with bad dealers.

This goes for most brands, some got it good (like Suzuki), some got it bad (like Skoda). VW's stuck in the middle.
Mr Ninjatalli, if you find the question rhetoric, then it would be best that you leave it unanswered. Anybody who has not owned a VW car before and read through this thread with a hope buying one now, will have the same questions that I do. Considering its the festival season and the big offers coming out of Volkswagen, I think its important that people like me who don't know both sides of the coin, understand this from people who have owned these cars before. And I still do maintain that anybody spending their hard earned money on their dream cars, shouldn't have to invest only to find their cars perennially in the workshop. I am not saying that its the case with VW, but when you a buy car, its for the complete package which also includes the ASS. It sure does look like things have improved over the last few years and if it continues to do so, I would be more than happy to swap my car for a VW.

Mod Note : Post edited. Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 9th November 2015 at 07:39.
surfacer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 11:59   #8024
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a reason why we are seeing so many engine & mechanical issues in Volkswagen cars ? They are German right, so naturally we come to expect reliability. In the last 4 years that I've been using my City, not once have I ever had to send my car to the workshop for failure of any parts.
First of all my two cents about VWcars (VW & Skoda):

They are robustly built and offer excellent driving dynamics, competitive power output, decent safety features and essential gadgets except for the bling that you would get from other manufacturers.

No machine is perfect neither are the humans who created them. Issues do come with every car. Your current ride which is a Honda City might have kept you happy for a while (consider yourself lucky) but there are many users who have faced issues in City. But I do agree that Japanese cars are far more reliable.

I've been driving a 1.6 TDI Skoda Rapid for about 2 years and trust me I'm still enjoying every single mile in it albeit I had been through engine related issues a couple of times. First time it was a failed fuel pump which was replaced under warranty promptly and the second issue was a damaged wiring harness (apparently caused by a rodent).

Apart from these incidents, my ride never gave me a grouse and I would love to shout out that I'm ready to spend some time for the maintenance when it pleases me to the depth of my heart every time I ride it.

Finally, none can convince you until you make up your mind with the preferences.

If you want an enthusiastic ride with solid build quality go for Germans.

If your preference is reliability and peaceful ownership go for Japanese.

Quote:
Mr Ninjatalli, if you find the question rhetoric, then it would be best that you leave it unanswered.. Anybody who has not owned a VW car before and read through this thread with a hope buying one now, will have the same questions that I do.
Dear surfacer, I reckon Mr.ninjatalli didn't intend to offend you in any manner. He just tried to help you with making a choice. We are at liberty to express our views but without hurting anyone.

P.S: We are not supposed to use multiple dots (like this...) and please go through the rules section before posting. Have a good day mate.
Pferdestarke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 16:23   #8025
BHPian

Does VW's extended warranty cover electrical items too? I'm currently in my 3rd year of ownership and was wondering if I should upgrade the stock headlights with brighter bulbs. Of course, this would mean wire cutting and additional relays which would void warranty, but does it exist in the first place? A friend of mine told that electrical warranty is only for the first 6 months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks