Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:50   #676
BHPian

Re: Lambretta scooter lovers here ?

This is something i stumbled upon while trawling the internet for Lambrettas and Vespas!

Take a looker!

Modern Vespa : Large Vespa collections & hoards - Let's see pics &
Edmund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:26   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
This is something i stumbled upon while trawling the internet for Lambrettas and Vespas!

Take a looker!

I presume you particularly noticed this pic. in the above page, as I did:

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-lamstack.jpg

No prizes for guessing where these scoots are from! :|
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:32   #678
BHPian

Should I BE HAPPY or CRY ??!!??

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-23822_340769072539_674417539_4152591_847799_n.jpg

lammy's in asia somewhere someone may know from thr licence plates where

Old 23rd April 2011, 22:50   #679
BHPian

Registration nos look very very Indian pre-1989 when we had the old style of registration! And they appear to be mainly from northern / central india. I can make out RRZ, USS, MPJ, DHW... so i guess rajasthan, erstwhile MP, Delhi, and Northeastern states.

I wonder where these are! From the look of things it appears to be a hoarders godown, where these bikes will be shipped off outside india to potentially high paying customers!
Old 24th April 2011, 01:06   #680
Senior - BHPian

Seems someone has collected these angels ready to be shipped or already shipped, usually the people who buy vintage, classic automobiles esp two wheelers they buy it in bulk, I guess this could be the consignment.

I am not sure to be sad or happy but thank god I have one original stuff with me.

This lot would be sufficient for folks here (T-Bhp) who are longing for these babes, what say guys?
Old 24th April 2011, 22:21   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Should I BE HAPPY or CRY ??!!??

Attachment 534608

lammy's in asia somewhere someone may know from thr licence plates where

Wow! what a hoard - an amazing sight to see so many Lambys stacked up like that.

It's possible that this lot are awaiting restoration and then shipping to the UK or Europe. Generally speaking the UK market is only interested in pre-1986 scooters as after that date they have to be fitted with indicators in order to pass our MOT test.

By the looks of things some of those machines have had a hard life - I wonder how many have been bought as running machines and how many have been bought as abandoned vehicles?

Regards
Ed
Old 25th April 2011, 10:13   #682
BHPian

I have heard from reliable sources that there is not as much demand for old scooters as what the demand was few years ago. Hoarders are pretty much stuck with the stocks they piled up.
Rarer scooters like the LDs might end up in Thailand.
Sidman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 01:59   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
I have heard from reliable sources that there is not as much demand for old scooters as what the demand was few years ago.
Hi Sidman

i can't vouch for other countries, but there does not seem to be much of a slow down in demand here in the UK from what I can see! The demand for Lambrettas from any continent is still high here, even though we're in the midst of a financial crisis. Alot of the UK dealers are still importing from India in regular shipments.

Regards
Ed
Old 1st May 2011, 07:43   #684
BHPian

I rue the day (lost count of the number of days rue'd for myriad reasons) when there were decent lambys available for 3k (and RDs for 10-15k, Jawas for 3-5k, Furys for 5-8k) and I didnt buy a whole horde (hoard?!) of em.

Shite! Talk about lost opportunity after having easy access to tonnes of them beauties!
Old 1st May 2011, 12:48   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
I rue the day (lost count of the number of days rue'd for myriad reasons) when there were decent lambys available for 3k (and RDs for 10-15k, Jawas for 3-5k, Furys for 5-8k) and I didnt buy a whole horde (hoard?!) of em.

Shite! Talk about lost opportunity after having easy access to tonnes of them beauties!
I can relate to your sentiments DevilsOwn. Believe it or not, you could pick up Italian Lambrettas and Vespas here in the UK for anything from £5 - £200 in the early eighties when I got my first scooter! Like you, I recall the scooters I could have bought - trouble was, I didn't have the money to buy them (I was on apprentice's wages for 4 years), the space to store them, nor the foresight to realise that one day these old scooters were going to be worth the sums they now fetch!

Regards
Ed
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:20   #686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post

A very senior colleague had a UP registered Lambretta (URA) to commute here in my hometown in Maharashtra during the early 1990's. He avoided paying the one time tax.I asked him that the traffic police and the RTO being what they are here would challan him on a busy day when he would be commuting to the office.
He was carefree and said that rather than paying the fine and yielding would leave the scooter there and walk away.He justified his contention saying that he would not even get Rs 1000 were he to sell the scooter.
That was the real resale value for old battered Lambrettas then!
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:32   #687
BHPian

Mac175s

Hi Guys:

Update on my MAC. I overhauled the engine around 3 weeks back. I was a little disappointed on opening up the engine, as I found that the previous owner at some point changed the cylinder to 150cc. I was lucky to find a NOS cylinder but then I could not find a standard piston, so I had to rebore it to 0.6 mm. I have changed almost everything on the engine to NOS parts: Cylinder, piston, entire clutch unit, entire gearbox, primary chain, chain slides, carb, bearings, etc. I also buffed the engine cover and got a new kicker and chromed it. I did not get the time to ride it except from the garage to home, and it rides really well.

The next stage would be the body work. I am waiting to get hold of the badges, meter, and the front fork before starting any work.

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00574.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00581.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00582.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00583.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00584.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00585.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00588.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00592.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc00593.jpg  

Old 3rd May 2011, 23:51   #688
BHPian

My Vijai Super MK - I, UG-2

@ tuffryer,
Nice job. Didnt think of a DC upgrade or something? Anyways, its your choice.
Tyre look more like a polygon than circle. Time to change it?

Hi all,
Here is the 2nd upgrade after the grooving in the engine head.
The carburettor flange was modified to adapt a Mikuni VM 24 (RE 350) carb and a VM 24 mounted to it.
Vijai carb flange for Micarb + Rajdoot carb flange = Vijai carb flange for VM24
Took a weeks time to get the flange fabricated, test for fitment and finalize.

On sunday I wanted to perform the carb swap, but unfortunately the only flange gasket that was too brittle, broke and I didnt have a spare. Sunday being the 1st of May, all shops were closed. SO this evening I found time buy a gasket paper, cut it as per the flange dimensions. Fitted the flange, the carb and cables.

Modifications on the VM 24. The slide orientation (the long guide groove along the length of the slide) was reverse in the VM24 and VM22. As well the VM 24 did not have a lever mechanism to lift the slide. Rather the slide has the provision to connect the cable directly. As I didnt have the patience to change the entire inner and outer completely, I only swapped the lever mechanism along with its cap from the VM 22 to VM24.

The difficult part was to tightened the carb flange bolts due to the limited accessibility as seen in the pictures. Had to tune a little to get the idle and transients in order. Now things are fine.
The air filter pipe is a direct fit, so no hazzles

Result:
1. Less smoke at higher speeds
2. Higher low end torque (able to navigate slopes in 3rd gear where I had to shift to 2nd gear previously)
3. Lesser vibration (no clue if the quality of the fuel mixture can affect), but I and my friend who tested the scooter felt it.
4. Good acceleration.

Yet to test for max speed, probably tomorrow in the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc02268.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc02271.jpg  

Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc02270.jpg  

Last edited by ilangop : 3rd May 2011 at 23:55.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 00:42   #689
BHPian

Hi Ilango:

The first process of restoration was to get the engine back to original factory specs changing almost all the wear and tear parts, which I have done now. It as good as a new engine. Next will be hunting down the body parts, after which I will start with the body work and of course I will be changing the tires. Those are rethreaded tires and left unattended for a long time.

Once I complete the full restoration, I will run in the scooter and then think about upgrading it, electrics and engine, which will be on an as-needed basis.

The first thing I want to do actually is make a free-flow exhaust for it. Any help from your side would be great.

Guys, here is a pic of my first lot of spares that came.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooter lovers here ?-dsc005751.jpg  

Last edited by TuffRyder : 4th May 2011 at 00:48.
Old 4th May 2011, 07:08   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Hi Ilango:

The first process of restoration was to get the engine back to original factory specs changing almost all the wear and tear parts, which I have done now.
Dude, though its seems too late to ask, if the mac comes with the same 81 link chain as in vijai, I can help you with the original chains from Rolon.
Else, still there is a possibility to go original by deliberately adding a couple of links to a new chain as required.
Just for my information, how my teeth did the drive side chain sprocket. I am looking for a 17 teeth sprocket. I bought one from Delhi, but still skeptical about its hardness and durability.
What about the car? Hope it should be having a bigger one as compared to a Li 150.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks