Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2020, 11:09   #1681
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 3,396
Thanked: 5,771 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
This is regarding a 72' 1100d engine oil change.


If I remember, the grade was 20w-50w. I also wanted to know the exact quantity required including the oil filter.

Thanks in advance.
Picked up oil filters from a wholesale filters shop off JC road and got the oil replaced at a Shell bunk near home. My first experience with oil change at Shell and it was good and professional. Thought of going this route with my others cars in the future as well.
The new oil was mineral 20w-50 as they didn't have 20w-40 or 15w-40 which was the required one as mentioned many pages back on this thread.

Good difference in NVH as the old oil had gone bad although the engine had not run much. The 1100 got to pose with a BMW I8 as well while filling fuel.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img_7268.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-img_7271.jpg  


Last edited by moralfibre : 30th November 2020 at 11:51. Reason: Typos
tharian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 13:08   #1682
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 3,396
Thanked: 5,771 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Have a query regarding wheel jam on the Fiat 1100D. It is the same car as the above post.
The car is used only on weekends and is parked for 5-6 days a week. This was the same routine for the last few years.
The last I used it was a week ago and this morning, the right rear wheel locked up when moving it a couple of feet from the parking lot.

Initially I thought it was stone under the tyre, and so I reversed, which it did for a couple of feet and then when moving forward, the same happened. After few tries moving back and forth, the wheel finally didn't move forward at all. It still did in reverse although I couldn't move much because of the wall behind.

I haven't opened the wheel yet since I don't have the right tool to remove the centre nut of the drum. Is this because the brakes have jammed or something else?
tharian is offline  
Old 2nd January 2021, 13:52   #1683
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 3,050
Thanked: 2,098 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Looks like.

Drums have more of a tendency to jam compared to discs.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 10:39   #1684
BHPian
 
ilangop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 982
Thanked: 821 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Have a query regarding wheel jam on the Fiat 1100D. It is the same car as the above post.
The car is used only on weekends and is parked for 5-6 days a week. This was the same routine for the last few years.
The last I used it was a week ago and this morning, the right rear wheel locked up when moving it a couple of feet from the parking lot.

Initially I thought it was stone under the tyre, and so I reversed, which it did for a couple of feet and then when moving forward, the same happened. After few tries moving back and forth, the wheel finally didn't move forward at all. It still did in reverse although I couldn't move much because of the wall behind.

I haven't opened the wheel yet since I don't have the right tool to remove the centre nut of the drum. Is this because the brakes have jammed or something else?
It could be the wheel cylinder. Either jammed (would need a removal, cleaning and reinstallation), or replacement of wheel cylinder kit alone or the entire wheel cylinder itself. This is normal in cars parked for long durations.
ilangop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 13:29   #1685
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 709
Thanked: 654 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

I wanted to update this thread on some changes that were done on my car.

The Lucas distributor has been replaced with a Contessa one, and the car is running fine with no noticeable difference in performance.

Looking for a good Solex with vacuum advance, with or without acc. pump

Last edited by autocrat : 22nd January 2021 at 13:30. Reason: correction
autocrat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 23:11   #1686
BHPian
 
HimuraKenshin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai/London
Posts: 286
Thanked: 324 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post

The Lucas distributor has been replaced with a Contessa one, and the car is running fine with no noticeable difference in performance.
Any Particular reason for changing the distributor? Also, what ignition coil are you using? Would br great if you can post some pics of the new setup.
HimuraKenshin is offline  
Old 8th February 2021, 14:49   #1687
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 709
Thanked: 654 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
Any Particular reason for changing the distributor?
I am always wary of water entry into the distributor, the electronic ones come with an O-ring seal so this risk is minimized.

I am planning to buy a timing gun with advance so that I can check the rpm vs advance I am getting so that we can compare with the stock distributor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
Also, what ignition coil are you using? Would br great if you can post some pics of the new setup.
One from M800, I will share pics and video in my next post.
autocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 11:52   #1688
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: chennai
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: PAL hub cap installation on Punto rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Guys. Like some of you here I too wanted to go for 165/80r14 tubeless tyres for my PP. Hence grabbed a set of 5 punto rims from a friend. Now the next topic to worry about was the steel hub cap. Punto rims don't have any provision to install the caps.
Hi Ilango, Lovely job, the rim looks fabulous with the hubcap. How does one get in touch with you . I need some advice with my 118ne and fiat elegant. Regards, Dr.Uday(9840031509)

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th February 2021 at 12:03.
Dr.Udayakumar is offline  
Old 22nd February 2021, 00:25   #1689
BHPian
 
M00M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 755
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Anybody know how to remove rust from the PP hub caps and headlight rings ?
M00M is offline  
Old 22nd February 2021, 19:22   #1690
BHPian
 
HimuraKenshin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai/London
Posts: 286
Thanked: 324 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Anybody know how to remove rust from the PP hub caps and headlight rings ?

make a ball with aluminum foil, dip it in coca cola and pour cola liberally on the rusted parts as well, then brush off the rust with the ball soaked in the liquid.
HimuraKenshin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 16:15   #1691
BHPian
 
M00M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 755
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
make a ball with aluminum foil, dip it in coca cola and pour cola liberally on the rusted parts as well, then brush off the rust with the ball soaked in the liquid.
Thanks but it did not work. So had to send it for being re- chromed. Any suggestions to protect it from rusting again ? and protecting the rubber beading which many times cracks in the heat.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 17:00   #1692
BHPian
 
HimuraKenshin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai/London
Posts: 286
Thanked: 324 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Thanks but it did not work. So had to send it for being re- chromed. Any suggestions to protect it from rusting again ? and protecting the rubber beading which many times cracks in the heat.
I suggest wiping the rubber parts with any tyre dressing spray (such as 3M, STP) this will keep the rubber soft and lubricated..
HimuraKenshin is offline  
Old 22nd March 2021, 14:18   #1693
BHPian
 
Thebugdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Cochin
Posts: 35
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Thanks but it did not work. So had to send it for being re- chromed. Any suggestions to protect it from rusting again ? and protecting the rubber beading which many times cracks in the heat.
I came across a product called owatrol ,they claim to do coatings for ships to prevent them from Rusting. You could check it out
Thebugdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 19:42   #1694
BHPian
 
M00M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 755
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebugdoc View Post
I came across a product called owatrol ,they claim to do coatings for ships to prevent them from Rusting. You could check it out
Thank you i will check this out. Any photos and company name of this Owatrol ?
M00M is offline  
Old 28th March 2021, 02:25   #1695
BHPian
 
Thebugdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Cochin
Posts: 35
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Thank you i will check this out. Any photos and company name of this Owatrol ?
Yes I do have photos of their works The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-ae1f579443374557aa26b93554a752c1.jpeg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-e19266cc2444465795e6f7c34318cdb9.jpeg

Name:  5833578B3FF7435D8550952B996B2BC6.jpeg
Views: 294
Size:  54.7 KB

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-3ae1f6795c28448488a37fe493718133.jpeg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-6d6f953293334490b29662c30e253662.jpeg
Please note I havenít tried this out yet. Just shared what the dealer sent me .
Thebugdoc is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks