Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2016, 20:06   #1531
Senior - BHPian

Re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Yes it is 165/80R14. This infact should increase the GC. Rear height appears fine though. On other Padminis (My previous S1 and Sujith's S1 with same wheels and muffler stood up considerably).

Though its sunk in quite a bit, the ride quality is still as good as any other Padmini
funkykar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 15:42   #1532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
My mechanic suggests to put a 9 coil spring instead of the 8 coil spring and also put thicker spring pads. Is this the right solution? What bothers me is, when my S1, to the best of my knowledge, has all original spring, shock-absorber etc, why is it lower than the other PPs?
Dear karthik,

Please don't change spring to a different one, it will un-necessary alter the properties. Please refer the Technical workshop manual which refers to spring height of the coil spring under laden condition and also the free length.

Check this and if the spring is not confirming, discard and use a new spring.

I am attaching a screen shot from the Fiat 1100 Technical Workshop manual, don't know if Premier Padmini shared the same specs or not.

Name:  Coil Spring Height.png
Views: 2751
Size:  315.2 KB
manishalive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 16:03   #1533
Senior - BHPian

New springs aren't available. Used springs may or may not solve the problem, hence I am more confused.
Old 3rd August 2016, 12:39   #1534
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Karthik - I am on holiday with very limited access to the wifi. I will give details of your suspension issue next week. In the meanwhile, please DONT DO ANYTHING SILLY!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 20:53   #1535
Senior - BHPian

The radiator and related hoses for my 72 Fiat 1100D require replacement. Where in Bangalore can I fabricate or procure a radiator and what kinda of money should I be paying for these parts?

I am speaking to a Mr. Ravi from MRF to source 5.20 R14 Legend tires. He will revert to me in a few days. I don't know the cost yet but if there is anyone else in need of these tires, please PM me and I will share his contact details.
Old 4th August 2016, 14:58   #1536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karthik - I am on holiday with very limited access to the wifi. I will give details of your suspension issue next week. In the meanwhile, please DONT DO ANYTHING SILLY!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Only your words has stopped me from changing the springs with whatever is available in market(surely not original or at best are painted used springs). I will wait. MEanwhile, have a great holiday sir!
Old 7th August 2016, 14:45   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Fiat 1100 Solex Carburretor Service Kit found in a shop here
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wp_20160805_14_20_58_pro.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wp_20160805_14_21_31_pro.jpg  

ajay99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 16:01   #1538
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Karthik - the reason for reduction of suspension height in your car is as follows:

In the front, the coil spring is known to take a permanent set, this issue was there in our test cars also. Fortunately, the coil spring has two noise suppressor rubber rings located at both ends. Also, fortunately, higher thickness rubber rings are still available, at least in Opera House Mumbai. I suggest please use them to gain a little bit of suspension height in the front. Use of these rings will not affect camber and caster setting capability, but you will have to set these parameters once, as the number of shims will change (mostly reduce). In extreme cases, you will need to use the first oversize upper control arms, but this is a rare possibility.

In the rear, private cars were supplied with 8 leaf rear springs. Black economy taxi cars were supplied with 10 leaf rear springs. There is nothing like 9 leaf rear spring, or oversized spring pads, if somebody is mentioning such things, he is talking nonsense. The leaf spring shackle bush life was never very good, shackle bushes are prone to shear failure due to turning in the spring eyes or cross-wear. So please sleep below the car from the back and very closely see the shackle bushes. Replace if required. When you renew shackle bushes, you must orient them at the correct angle which is given somewhere in this thread itself. The other causes are weak rear shock absorbers, but this is low priority, because the specification of load v/s deflection for unladen RAW is much more on the higher side than necessary, and worn stabilizer bar bushes, for which there is no direct correlation or explanation, but the end result is always good, so try it first before attempting the shackles replacement, you lose nothing by doing so. Whatever happens, for God's sake PLEASE DO NOT ADD SPRING LEAVES! It will be the beginning of the end of your car! If you enjoy a good 1000 kms drive, get your car to Mumbai, then everything will get done! .

Dear Sandeepmohan - radiator hoses are readily available, at least in Mumbai and Pune. Cut the hoses to correct length to prevent them from pinching when fitted. Use good quality hose clips to secure reliable leak-proof joints. Please post a photograph of your car's radiator so that I can comment on it.

Dear Ajay99 - there were two types of kits, they were called "econo-kit" and "service-kit". The econo-kit essentially converted the specification of the Solex MCS1014 (20.5 venturi, pump jet) to the Solex MCS1023 (22 venturi, no pump jet). I have never found much use for these things, because essentially there is nothing which can go wrong in a carburettor except throttle shaft bore wear, which in any case cannot be corrected by any means whatsoever! All the so-called aftermarket repair (known as "butterfly-maarna" in local jargon) is complete nonsense!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 16:37   #1539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Karthik - the reason for reduction of suspension height in your car is as follows:

In the front, the coil spring is known to take a permanent set, this issue was there in our test cars also. Fortunately, the coil spring has two noise suppressor rubber rings located at both ends. Also, fortunately, higher thickness rubber rings are still available, at least in Opera House Mumbai. I suggest please use them to gain a little bit of suspension height in the front. Use of these rings will not affect camber and caster setting capability, but you will have to set these parameters once, as the number of shims will change (mostly reduce). In extreme cases, you will need to use the first oversize upper control arms, but this is a rare possibility.

In the rear, private cars were supplied with 8 leaf rear springs. Black economy taxi cars were supplied with 10 leaf rear springs. There is nothing like 9 leaf rear spring, or oversized spring pads, if somebody is mentioning such things, he is talking nonsense. The leaf spring shackle bush life was never very good, shackle bushes are prone to shear failure due to turning in the spring eyes or cross-wear. So please sleep below the car from the back and very closely see the shackle bushes. Replace if required. When you renew shackle bushes, you must orient them at the correct angle which is given somewhere in this thread itself. The other causes are weak rear shock absorbers, but this is low priority, because the specification of load v/s deflection for unladen RAW is much more on the higher side than necessary, and worn stabilizer bar bushes, for which there is no direct correlation or explanation, but the end result is always good, so try it first before attempting the shackles replacement, you lose nothing by doing so. Whatever happens, for God's sake PLEASE DO NOT ADD SPRING LEAVES! It will be the beginning of the end of your car! If you enjoy a good 1000 kms drive, get your car to Mumbai, then everything will get done! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you sir! Present concern is only with the front suspension height. Will see how I could source the higher thickness rubber rings. I would not mind driving up to Mumbai at all, and would love to. For the time being, little overloaded with work and personal commitments. Me and Arun surely would drive up to Mumbai for one of the classic Fiat car meets.

The explanation on the rear setup certainly helps for future! Rear feels fine, and wouldn't dare touch. As you have said many times, don't fix it if it aint broken
Old 11th August 2016, 00:58   #1540
BHPian

Quote:

Dear Sandeepmohan - radiator hoses are readily available, at least in Mumbai and Pune. Cut the hoses to correct length to prevent them from pinching when fitted. Use good quality hose clips to secure reliable leak-proof joints. Please post a photograph of your car's radiator so that I can comment on it.

Dear Ajay99 - there were two types of kits, they were called "econo-kit" and "service-kit". The econo-kit essentially converted the specification of the Solex MCS1014 (20.5 venturi, pump jet) to the Solex MCS1023 (22 venturi, no pump jet). I have never found much use for these things, because essentially there is nothing which can go wrong in a carburettor except throttle shaft bore wear, which in any case cannot be corrected by any means whatsoever! All the so-called aftermarket repair (known as "butterfly-maarna" in local jargon) is complete nonsense!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Probably one of the last post made by the legend on this forum .Rest in Peace BD .we sure will do that belgaum drive in your memory although we couldn't make it when you could !
Voyager is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 03:45   #1541
BHPian

What happened t BD sir?
Old 11th August 2016, 07:01   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whenasked View Post
What happened t BD sir?
He passed away yesterday

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...m-dhabhar.html
Old 11th August 2016, 10:12   #1543
BHPian

Can anyone write an obituary for Behram Sir? I don't think that's ever possible. He will be with us forever. Arun from FCCB broke the news to me and even after a day I am not able to digest this. Behram Sir kept telling his teachers are God to him. He is our teacher and God to us. Cherish every moment I spent with him.

Arun (Arun 1100) and I met him for an evening filled with conversations followed next day by breakfast on a nice morning in Bangalore. Sreeraj (Dude with a Fiat) joined us.

Again we spoke about Dharwad trip. Never happened.

He will I am sure continue to stand next to us and guide us with our cars all the way. Love you sir.

There is only one way to do a perfect job. The Behram Dhabhar way.

Last edited by autocrat : 11th August 2016 at 10:15.
autocrat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 11:55   #1544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Can anyone write an obituary for Behram Sir? I don't think that's ever possible.
True.

Let's strive to be a perfect gentlemen like him and help others in whatever way we can. I feel that would be a better way to show our gratitude and respect.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 11th August 2016 at 12:08.
schakravarthy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 14:41   #1545
Senior - BHPian

I know that horn rings for the Fiat/ PAL were accessories, but just how many types were there? I've seen only three horn rings till date and each one was different.
Any info on these?

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-forumrunner_20160823_144048.png

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-forumrunner_20160823_144111.png

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-forumrunner_20160823_144125.png
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks