Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 21:34   #436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post

I too wanted to restore my 1991 Padmini to its original specifications. Its a Economy model. So it is supposed to have body colored bumpers. The Black grill is very rare to find. As said before by you guys, the Padmini parts available now are of really low quality.
Quote:
This is the black grill i was referring to!! This grill is very difficult to get. I am trying to deal with car's owner for the grill.
Guys, Finally I found the Black, holed grille. Actually found two. But one is broken a bit and is of SUNAX make. The grill I found today is much stronger but has no make on it.

This is the grille which came originally with my PP Economy.

Behram Sir,
Only you can answer this doubt of mine.

Which all models of PP came with this type of grill?

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc01627.jpg
arun1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2010, 23:15   #437
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the acquisition of the grill. So now what's the plan as you have most of the parts to convert your car to a delight one but still collecting the PP economy parts. When are you going to start the restoration of your car? Did you managed to get them at scrapyard and what amount you paid for them.
These honeycomb pattern grill is very unique and would look good on a light shade of paint.
Old 25th February 2010, 23:31   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Congrats on the acquisition of the grill. So now what's the plan as you have most of the parts to convert your car to a delight one but still collecting the PP economy parts.
Spot on!! I have dropped the idea of converting my car to Delight style. Will restore it to originality. The economy style.

funkykar kept telling me not to Delight my Padmini since long. Now I am following his words.

Quote:
When are you going to start the restoration of your car? Did you managed to get them at scrapyard and what amount you paid for them.
These honeycomb pattern grill is very unique and would look good on a light shade of paint.
I paid 40 rupees for the grill. Removed it myself from a car to be scrapped. BTW it was a UP Padmini. UP 70 ****... Is it a Kanpur car?

Will paint white(pale lilac) as thats the original color of my car. Will surely start the resto work in MARCH! Waiting for THE END of my studies.
arun1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2010, 23:37   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spot on!! I have dropped the idea of converting my car to Delight style. Will restore it to originality. The economy style.

funkykar kept telling me not to Delight my Padmini since long. Now I am following his words.

I paid 40 rupees for the grill. Removed it myself from a car to be scrapped. BTW it was a UP Padmini. UP 70 ****... Is it a Kanpur car?

Will paint white(pale lilac) as thats the original color of my car. Will surely start the resto work in MARCH! Waiting for THE END of my studies.
Absolutely! I really felt that Arun shouldnt delight his Padmini. His is a family car. Every family member has this car etched in their memories. If he delight's it, it will almost be a complete new car. The family touch may not be there. His car is all original and he should keep its virginity. For the Delight itching that Arun has, best would be to acquire a Delight and and feel delighted. We are still in the honey moon period where the Fiat prices havn't sky rocketed. Finding a decent delight at a decent price shouldnt at all be very difficult now. May be the scene will change altogether in 3-5 years.

I am sure on a longer run, like say 10 years, most people will appreciate Arun's decision in keeping his PP pakka original. I dont know what the rest think, but I definitely feel Arun should keep it original

Where as for the Delight spares, keep it with you Arun. It will help when you get yourself a Delight or you will help giving it to a Fiatian in later stage who will remember you for ever. And the black grill you aquired, dont put it on your car as of now. Its strong, but not strong enough to withstand day to day driving on a longer run. I suggest you find 2-3 more spares and then start using it. and use it only when parked securely. Like Arun said once, a cricket ball (tennis type) or a medium football kick will shatter it

Last edited by funkykar : 25th February 2010 at 23:44.
Old 25th February 2010, 23:44   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I definitely feel Arun should keep it original
Yes Sir. Aaj Guruwar hai. So I will listen to my Guru.

Today Karthik and me were so Delighted when we found a steel grille of Delight(the grille which came with imported Delights) in a old parts shop. But very unfortunately the deal did not come through.:-(
Old 25th February 2010, 23:47   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Sir. Aaj Guruwar hai. So I will listen to my Guru.

Today Karthik and me were so Delighted when we found a steel grille of Delight(the grille which came with imported Delights) in a old parts shop. But very unfortunately the deal did not come through.:-(
wow!!! this was an AWESOME grill. Never seen such anytime before. It was soo heavy too. It can last for atleast till 25/02/2310. The guy was just not ready to sell it and wants to use it on his son's Delight. We tried to lure him with big money, he just wasnt ready to sell it. He promised to find us similar very good ones in the coming months.

By the way, I am no guru. Arun is just trying to be funny here

We will try to take some pics in our next visit and post it here.

Last edited by funkykar : 25th February 2010 at 23:49.
Old 25th February 2010, 23:53   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It must have been an Allahabad registered car. How come it ended up there. Its good to maintain the originality of the car. So now you are going to rule the economy of fiats. March will be a learning month for many of us.
what about the delight parts you procured. If you are willing to part with some things i would love to get the front aluminum grill with fiat logo for my car as previously stated, i am fed up of changing the plastic grill every 6 months.
Old 26th February 2010, 00:05   #443
Senior - BHPian

Sagar, as I said before, hunt for the grille.. You will surely find it.
Old 26th February 2010, 00:10   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It must have been an Allahabad registered car. How come it ended up there. Its good to maintain the originality of the car. So now you are going to rule the economy of fiats. March will be a learning month for many of us.
what about the delight parts you procured. If you are willing to part with some things i would love to get the front aluminum grill with fiat logo for my car as previously stated, i am fed up of changing the plastic grill every 6 months.
Delight aluminium grills are in huge demand here within our club. Very difficult to get one for you. We will try. Moreover, it does happen that only Arun finds these. Its patented with Arun I guess. In my numerous visits to Stephen Square, not a single tim I spotted one.

But Arun is kind enough to gift some of us (special ones ) with his grills.

Last edited by funkykar : 26th February 2010 at 00:12.
Old 26th February 2010, 19:13   #445
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody tell me whether the steering of a 118Ne a direct fit on PP S1. Also how much should i pay for the steering procuring from scrapyard. Mine got damaged as the rubber/plastic is cracking from behind.
One more thing i wanted to know is that how much should i shell out for the old scrapped aluminum grill. I am inquiring about the prices as i would be visiting the scrapyard next week and haven't purchased any of these scrapped items before.
i have original aluminum number plate lights on my car. Can they be chromed/buffed or should i go in for the new plastic ones which are costing somewhere around 200Rs. Suggestions needed regarding getting it chromed or buffed.
Old 26th February 2010, 19:46   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anybody tell me whether the steering of a 118Ne a direct fit on PP S1. Also how much should i pay for the steering procuring from scrapyard. Mine got damaged as the rubber/plastic is cracking from behind.
Not sure if it fits, but don't fit it. Don't convert your S1 into a mix and match car! Find a good S1 steering.

Quote:
One more thing i wanted to know is that how much should i shell out for the old scrapped aluminum grill. I am inquiring about the prices as i would be visiting the scrapyard next week and haven't purchased any of these scrapped items before.
Of the three grills I bought, I paid 300, 400 and 500 rupees respectively. I had to pay extra for the FIAT logos. I paid 300rs the first time when nobody in the scrapyard knew about FCB. This is Bangalore's hyped up rates. Still its worth it.

Quote:
i have original aluminum number plate lights on my car. Can they be chromed/buffed or should i go in for the new plastic ones which are costing somewhere around 200Rs. Suggestions needed regarding getting it chromed or buffed.
From where did you get Aluminum num plate lights? Or is it white metal?
Old 26th February 2010, 19:54   #447
Senior - BHPian

Arun bhai what is an original S1 grill. the plastic one? It seems aluminum grills cost very much even in scrapyard. May be i will flick it sometime from the few rotting cars i came across.
Regarding the Aluminum plate lights i don't know if they are white metal ones or not. Have a look at them and comment.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-07022010229.jpg  

Old 26th February 2010, 20:00   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arun bhai what is an original S1 grill. the plastic one? It seems aluminum grills cost very much even in scrapyard.
Regarding the Aluminum plate lights i don't know if they are white metal ones or not. Have a look at them and comment.
AFAIK All Original grills of Padmini are plastic!!

The numberplate lights are aluminum!!
Old 26th February 2010, 20:05   #449
Senior - BHPian

Arun bhai how much will the S1 steering cost me?? You didn't mentioned the price.
Old 26th February 2010, 20:11   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arun bhai how much will the S1 steering cost me?? You didn't mentioned the price.
Depends man... Anywhere between 50rs to 200rs..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks