Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:09   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
You can, but thats a little tricky. You can connect battery (-ve) to one of the screws you see in the backside of the meter. Power each pin one after the other and see on which pin the clock works. But the best and harmless way to do that is to open the 6 or 8 nuts on the rear side and remove the clock from the instrument cluster. The +ve and -vew leads for the clock are clearly visible. Now you can peacefully check the clock.
I have opened the clock Actually the whole meter for cleaning. See the pic. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-image0064.jpg
Now i don't know at what volt will it move. The time adjust switch is not working as i have not powered the clock. Is it so or does it moves and at what volt will it move.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:27   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Now i don't know at what volt will it move. The time adjust switch is not working as i have not powered the clock. Is it so or does it moves and at what volt will it move.
12V; Needle (when time adjust switch pressed) moves only when powered.
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:12   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Karthik you are scaring me. I bought this meter just for the sake of an internal clock. If it doesn't works, probably will have a run to the scrapyard again.
Hey, clock of my S1 works fine without any issues.
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:39   #424
Senior - BHPian

thanks a lot Ilango. Just wired up the clock and it works. The time can also be adjusted. I made a serial connection of 8 1.5v pencil cells and attached it to clock. See the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0069.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2010, 23:04   #425
BHPian

Quote:
thanks a lot Ilango. Just wired up the clock and it works. The time can also be adjusted. I made a serial connection of 8 1.5v pencil cells and attached it to clock. See the pic.
Good to hear that the clock is working. Testing it must surely have been a good learning experience
The Digit Fast Track collection you have is very nice !!
Old 22nd February 2010, 23:45   #426
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Good experimentation with the clock here. Now, the last few posts really makes me re-think. Were most of the cars I saw had clocks non functional? Or were they not set properly? Such a huge number with time not set properly doesnt sound correct.

Fiat gurus, how good are these clocks? Do they go bad quickly or is it supposed to last like say 2-3 decades?
Old 23rd February 2010, 07:39   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Good to hear that the clock is working. Testing it must surely have been a good learning experience
The Digit Fast Track collection you have is very nice !!
Thanks Adheesh for the complement. The present fast track collection of mine includes various books but in the pic all are some selected ones which i need in day to day life. All others are packed in loft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Wow! Good experimentation with the clock here. Now, the last few posts really makes me re-think. Were most of the cars I saw had clocks non functional? Or were they not set properly? Such a huge number with time not set properly doesnt sound correct.

Fiat gurus, how good are these clocks? Do they go bad quickly or is it supposed to last like say 2-3 decades?
Hey Karthik these clocks follow Quartz movement and hence last very long if not mishandled. The old mechanical clocks were prone to failure. I think you should also check the clock's functioning in both your cars as you stated none of them work.
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:27   #428
Senior - BHPian

how much to pay for the bench bucket seats similar to the posted ones. I am getting one set in the scrapyard. Just curious to know can the headrest be attached to them.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-i9365.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2010, 14:34   #429
BHPian

Quote:
how much to pay for the bench bucket seats similar to the posted ones. I am getting one set in the scrapyard. Just curious to know can the headrest be attached to them.
No idea about the current market rate, however, regarding the headrest, the earlier models did not have a provision for head rests. The seats with headrest provision will have machined and tapered holes.
Old 23rd February 2010, 16:05   #430
BHPian

The price you pay depends on the bargain, and can range from Rs 1500 to 2500 based on your luck. But sit and see how comfortable you are on the seats.
Here is how I put up a head rest for my car. Select a suitable head rest as per your taste. Find a pair from scrap market. IMO M-800 head rest is too tall for Premier cars. I got a pair of head rests from a scrapped Tata Estate for Rs 330/-. As well you need 2 pairs of plastic guides for sliding and locking the headrests. Refer the attached picture.
Take a pipe of inner dia equal to the OD of the plastic guides. Cut slots (as shown in the picture) to accomodate the notches in the plastic guides. Take the seat to a Rexinwala and ask him to remove the foam and rexin. Now the bare rods will be visible. You can position the tubes and weld them. Take enough measurements prior to welding, so that the headrest is at the centre and the top most part of the plastic guide matches with the level of the seat shoulder. Ask the welder to place a tack and adjust the inclination of headrest. In my case, I had ripped the foam and rexin and redid at my home only. Hope this helps.
Pipes I used was the cieling fan hanging pipe (RS 25/-). Better to take the plastic guide with you while hunting for a pipe. Somewhere between 0.5 to 1 mm thick pipe will do. The welder took Rs 150/-.
The head rest shown in the picture is with a black rexin cover from the Tata estate. Now I have replaced it with the same rexin (not rexin really, dunno the name of the material) pattern of that of the OREEGEENAL seats. Grabbed the rexin from a scrapped NEs seat. Now the pattern in the seat, head rest and the door inners (Please help me with the right word) are all the same.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc01934.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc01937.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc01932.jpg  

Last edited by ilangop : 23rd February 2010 at 16:10.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:27   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
The price you pay depends on the bargain, and can range from Rs 1500 to 2500 based on your luck. But sit and see how comfortable you are on the seats.
Here is how I put up a head rest for my car. Select a suitable head rest as per your taste. Find a pair from scrap market. IMO M-800 head rest is too tall for Premier cars. I got a pair of head rests from a scrapped Tata Estate for Rs 330/-. As well you need 2 pairs of plastic guides for sliding and locking the headrests. Refer the attached picture.
Take a pipe of inner dia equal to the OD of the plastic guides. Cut slots (as shown in the picture) to accomodate the notches in the plastic guides. Take the seat to a Rexinwala and ask him to remove the foam and rexin. Now the bare rods will be visible. You can position the tubes and weld them. Take enough measurements prior to welding, so that the headrest is at the centre and the top most part of the plastic guide matches with the level of the seat shoulder. Ask the welder to place a tack and adjust the inclination of headrest. In my case, I had ripped the foam and rexin and redid at my home only. Hope this helps.
Pipes I used was the cieling fan hanging pipe (RS 25/-). Better to take the plastic guide with you while hunting for a pipe. Somewhere between 0.5 to 1 mm thick pipe will do. The welder took Rs 150/-.
The head rest shown in the picture is with a black rexin cover from the Tata estate. Now I have replaced it with the same rexin (not rexin really, dunno the name of the material) pattern of that of the OREEGEENAL seats. Grabbed the rexin from a scrapped NEs seat. Now the pattern in the seat, head rest and the door inners (Please help me with the right word) are all the same.
the headrests doesn't look after market fitment.Very neat job done to acomodate the headrests. But i don't think that after fixing the headrest on the PP seats they would look good. What do you say. Besides these type of seats only recline. That doesn't serves my purpose fully. May be i think will get BU seats of some other car and align them according to the frame of PP.
Old 24th February 2010, 11:38   #432
Senior - BHPian

Just checked with the scrap dealer he says that the bench bucket seats will cost 1000 Rs (negotiable). I am confused as to go for them or not. Can get them for 700-800 Rs.
What do you guys say.
Old 25th February 2010, 07:03   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just checked with the scrap dealer he says that the bench bucket seats will cost 1000 Rs (negotiable). I am confused as to go for them or not. Can get them for 700-800 Rs.
What do you guys say.
I would suggest you to keep the originality intact. Let the bench seats remain. The bench seats in S1 is thin ones i guess which is really good.
arun1100 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2010, 08:12   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Samsag12 - These seats were introduced in 1976 on two cars, MMD3232, a tartar red car made for Mr.J.M.Vakil, Jt.MD of PAL and on MMD2979, a dark blue car with white top car made for Mr.P.N.Venkatesan, VC&MD of PAL. These were then introduced on PP Deluxe cars. My father bought the first car MMF1845 from Maha Auto in Mumbai. We paid 38000 rupees, new. We took delivery on 25 November 1977. In the photograph, you can also see the static seat belts of that time, introduced on PP Deluxe cars. There were 2 types of seat belt mountings, this car shall be the later model. The earlier ones had 2 point mounting with M8*1.25 size fasteners. This one has 7/16UNF, which is now world standard. PLEASE DO NOT BUY THESE SEATS. They are most uncomfortable. For some silly reason, the backrest is tilted away from your back, instead of towards it. The height of the back rests is also very less, you will be almost hanging. This was the only part in MMF1845 which I absolutely hated.

Please buy a good thin bench seat and use it.They are very comfortable. I only adapted them from the rear seats of Maruti van, so I know.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2010, 09:13   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
I would suggest you to keep the originality intact. Let the bench seats remain. The bench seats in S1 is thin ones i guess which is really good.
I have not seen the seats of PP old model for a long time so cannot confirm whether the seats are thin ones or not. I have made my mind NOT TO change the seats of my car till i come across any 137D seats which probably are hard to find. The present seats fixed on my car can be moved to and fro or they are fixed. Some type of lever is there under the driver's side. What is it for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Samsag12 - These seats were introduced in 1976 on two cars, MMD3232, a tartar red car made for Mr.J.M.Vakil, Jt.MD of PAL and on MMD2979, a dark blue car with white top car made for Mr.P.N.Venkatesan, VC&MD of PAL. These were then introduced on PP Deluxe cars. My father bought the first car MMF1845 from Maha Auto in Mumbai. We paid 38000 rupees, new. We took delivery on 25 November 1977. In the photograph, you can also see the static seat belts of that time, introduced on PP Deluxe cars. There were 2 types of seat belt mountings, this car shall be the later model. The earlier ones had 2 point mounting with M8*1.25 size fasteners. This one has 7/16UNF, which is now world standard. PLEASE DO NOT BUY THESE SEATS. They are most uncomfortable. For some silly reason, the backrest is tilted away from your back, instead of towards it. The height of the back rests is also very less, you will be almost hanging. This was the only part in MMF1845 which I absolutely hated.

Please buy a good thin bench seat and use it.They are very comfortable. I only adapted them from the rear seats of Maruti van, so I know.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks Behram sir for your views. So there was a history behind the use of these type of seats. As stated in my post i will not be going to change the seats of my car till i get original 137D seats. Hope they are good in comfort and can recline as well as move to and fro. BTW sir i would like some help from you regarding the authenticity of mechanical parts fitted in my car. You can have a look at this thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...lucknow-3.html

Most Viewed