Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 22:44   #616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
As stated i use MAK redikool in my car. I bought 3bottles of 1ltrs each for my car which costed 350 total.
Samsag can you send 30 litres of this Coolant to Bangalore?

Last edited by arun1100 : 29th March 2010 at 22:45.
Old 29th March 2010, 22:49   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
As stated i use MAK redikool in my car. I bought 3bottles of 1ltrs each for my car which costed 350 total. Directly poured them in (around2.5ltrs) the degassing tank after flushing the old one. Regarding the brand do look out for the antifreeze and boil property stated on the coolant bottle. I don't remember the exact property right now.
350 bucks is little expensive, but is okay only if there is no leak and lasts for long time.

It consumed just 2.5 liters? I am surprised. If I remember correctly, a S1 would consume atleast 4-5 liters in total. I kind of remember putting 1 liter coolant and 3-4 liters of distilled water after flushing the old water.
Old 29th March 2010, 22:58   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Samsag can you send 30 litres of this Coolant to Bangalore?
Arun bhai i didn't got your point. Please can you explain in detail.
Old 29th March 2010, 23:43   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
350 bucks is little expensive, but is okay only if there is no leak and lasts for long time.

It consumed just 2.5 liters? I am surprised. If I remember correctly, a S1 would consume atleast 4-5 liters in total. I kind of remember putting 1 liter coolant and 3-4 liters of distilled water after flushing the old water.
Please dont create such a fuss just over the coolant. Come on, there are still more important things in our cars to take care of. Padmini's originally came filled with Rust Inhibitor Liquid (coolant is the common mans jargon) in the radiator from the factory. As stated earlier plain pure drinking quality water is more than sufficient. People have run these cars on just plain water for years ask the old timers and you would know. If still one is bent upon using a coolant, lets get some basics clear.

1. Basically, a coolant is a fluid which flows through a device to prevent its overheating, transferring the heat produced by the device to other devices that use or dissipate it. So basically water itself is a coolant. An ideal coolant has high thermal capacity, low viscosity, is low-cost, non-toxic, and chemically inert, neither causing nor promoting corrosion of the cooling system. (sounds like a primary school defination, doesnt it ? )

2.The "coolant" which we get in the retail market consist of Polyalkylene Glycol (PAG) and an antifreeze. It is targetted towards mordern vehicles with high engine capacities and engine load like airconditioning. It aids water in dissipating heat to the radiator core more effectively. The antifreeze property is useful in sub-zero temperature areas and does not affect us. So essentially, the coolant still is nothing but water.

3. Many good, reputed companies manufacture coolant concentrates which are to be used as per the proportion mentioned on the packaging. Colour of the product does not matter here since varies from company to company and is there only for identification. My experience with a product from Wurth was very good.

I still emphasize that a robust cooling system as described by me in the previous post with plain pure water (Except for distill water which can be used, if you can drink that water it can be in the radiator. Oxidation and sediment deposits would be negligible. Since you cant drink borewell water, it cant be in the radiator. Use this logic. Period.) is more than sufficient for the car.

Please do not waste money on unnecessary nitigrities. If one requires clues on where to spend ones money, please refer to parts to stock as well as classics available for purchase threads

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 29th March 2010 at 23:49.
adheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2010, 23:58   #620
Senior - BHPian

This more or less clears many of our doubts. Thanks Adheesh!

Well said on where to spend valuable money

My day started as a REAL shocker, I will now have a peaceful and very good night's sleep.
Old 3rd April 2010, 15:41   #621
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible/Okay to install a fuel return for a Solex carburater? If yes, what are the advantages?
Old 3rd April 2010, 19:28   #622
BHPian

It is very much possible to fit a fuel return line on a Solex carburettor. The return line will decrease the fuel line temperature by around 12 degrees centigrade (temperature value provided by Mr.Dhabhar) directly translating as freedom from vapour lock misery during hot summer afternoon drives.due to the excessive pressure generated by the electric fuel pump the petrol starts entering the venturi through the econostat making the mixture undesirably rich. I have experienced this personally on my car and mistook it for the choke to be engaged. When the electric fuel pump was turned off, the idle smoothened out. This in case in engine is continuously run on an electrical fuel pump (there may be a need to do so incase the mechanical fuel pump fails en route and the car is already equipped with an electric fuel pump), the above problem can be prevented.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 3rd April 2010, 19:37   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
It is very much possible to fit a fuel return line on a Solex carburettor. The return line will decrease the fuel line temperature by around 12 degrees centigrade (temperature value provided by Mr.Dhabhar) directly translating as freedom from vapour lock misery during hot summer afternoon drives.due to the excessive pressure generated by the electric fuel pump the petrol starts entering the venturi through the econostat making the mixture undesirably rich. I have experienced this personally on my car and mistook it for the choke to be engaged. When the electric fuel pump was turned off, the idle smoothened out. This in case in engine is continuously run on an electrical fuel pump (there may be a need to do so incase the mechanical fuel pump fails en route and the car is already equipped with an electric fuel pump), the above problem can be prevented.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Thanks for the input!

So it means, its a good thing to do. Even though I dont have a electric pump, and still running on the OEM, I may try this some time down the line. I would surely follow the instructions of return line from the first page of this thread. It would also be a lot easier after in case I decide to go the Mikuni way in future.

This idea propped up in my mind as I changed to Mikuni on both my NE's (one is in progress and would be done by 11 AM morning) in span of 2 weeks. Initially I was thinking that the fuel return would be a pipe coming out of the carburater. Only after I got couple of Mikuni + manifold for my NE, that I realized how the return works.

@ Adheesh: Any idea what make and how much PSI an 118 NE Petrol radiator cap should be?

Last edited by funkykar : 3rd April 2010 at 19:38.
Old 3rd April 2010, 22:03   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Thanks for the input!
@ Adheesh: Any idea what make and how much PSI an 118 NE Petrol radiator cap should be?
I guess it should be around Rs. 100-200. Make sure that the make is TECIL only. They are rare, but nothing else will work the way it is supposed to.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 3rd April 2010, 22:11   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
I guess it should be around Rs. 100-200. Make sure that the make is TECIL only. They are rare, but nothing else will work the way it is supposed to.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

I guess it should be 7 PSI for NE also, correct?
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:32   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - 118NE was tried out with 7 psi pressure cap which resulted in excess coolant loss to the surge tank. As surge tank capacity of 118NE is derived from Fiat 124 as 118NE is an engineering adaptation on Fiat 124 platform, we increased the pressure of the cooling system and adapted Nissan recommendation which was 11 psi, which is 0.9 kg/cm2. Please ensure correct configuration of pressure cap. It needs 2 rubber seals otherwise the surge tank will not work.

I know that I have to convey a lot of information in this thread but I am not getting time.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 3rd April 2010 at 23:33. Reason: add info
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:37   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - 118NE was tried out with 7 psi pressure cap which resulted in excess coolant loss to the surge tank. As surge tank capacity of 118NE is derived from Fiat 124 as 118NE is an engineering adaptation on Fiat 124 platform, we increased the pressure of the cooling system and adapted Nissan recommendation which was 11 psi, which is 0.9 kg/cm2. Please ensure correct configuration of pressure cap. It needs 2 rubber seals otherwise the surge tank will not work.

I know that I have to convey a lot of information in this thread but I am not getting time.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Thanks sir! My NE seems to have the correct one. I noticed a very small etching of 0.9 on it. I hope it means 0.9 kg/cm2. It doesnt have any brand name written.

What brands are available and which one is the best?
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:53   #628
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Karthik - "RD" and "Tecil" were used by us as OE. Do not put anything else, it is all nonsense.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th April 2010, 11:04   #629
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody throw some light on the type of material used to stick the PREMIER PADMINI (S1 and 137D) badges on the dicky of car. If the badges are removed then what should be used to stick them in place so as they do not fall off. Is there any type of industrial strength adhesive freely available in the market which can be used??
Old 8th April 2010, 13:07   #630
BHPian

Samsag,
You can go for a double side tape. The thicker ones available in stationery marts are of no use. You can find the thin ones with the number plate makers or window glass flim shops. You can identify them by the green coloured separator material used for rolling the sticker. Even some auto stores also stock them, but you might have to buy the full roll of about 5/10 mtr in length. Ensure that you remove all the remniscents of the old tape.
I remember my dad's old Padmini had the boltable Premier & Padmini badges in the rear. My 118 NE has the glueable badge. Did the newer Padminis come with sticker type badge?

Last edited by ilangop : 8th April 2010 at 13:09.

Most Viewed