Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 00:12   #721
Senior - BHPian

Is the starter motor and solenoid switch the same in S1 and all other PP's? I know the S1 sports a more refined distributer (got to know through Behram Sirji).
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:21   #722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Is the starter motor and solenoid switch the same in S1 and all other PP's? I know the S1 sports a more refined distributer (got to know through Behram Sirji).
IIRC there are 2 types of solenoid switches in fiat/PP. One type is a separate unit apart from starter motor (which our cars have) and the other type is the one attached to the starter motor which is difficult to source new nowadays .
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:47   #723
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine is in Mumbai and wants to help in getting some parts from there.

Can someone please let me know a couple of notable stores that have Fiat and 118 NE parts please.
Old 5th June 2010, 00:09   #724

I'm looking for someone qualified enough to undertake the task of fitting 118NE front disc brakes to the front of my 1963 Fiat 1100... anyone know where I could get this done in Mumbai/Thane?
Old 5th June 2010, 02:12   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunhari View Post
I'm looking for someone qualified enough to undertake the task of fitting 118NE front disc brakes to the front of my 1963 Fiat 1100... anyone know where I could get this done in Mumbai/Thane?
Why would you want to do that? If you look back the pages on this thread, having proper Fiat braking is very much sufficient. I believe Adheesh had explained it all.
Old 5th June 2010, 09:14   #726

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Why would you want to do that? If you look back the pages on this thread, having proper Fiat braking is very much sufficient. I believe Adheesh had explained it all.
I've read this entire thread, and my brakes are sufficient, however when it comes to emergency stopping they are not adequate. Not due to being faulty, just due to being drum brakes from 1963... I like to drive fast, so good brakes are a must and I quite like the idea of putting some disc's in it's place. Each to their own. I'm not someone who wants to keep their Fiat 100% original. However, I don't plan on installing a Bodykit and audi grill either... lol. A good balance between functionality and classic looks is my aim, and it is my daily driver...

So anyone know a good place to get the job done? I know the parts are freely available in CST road. I can procure those with ease, just need someone who can fit it.
Old 8th June 2010, 15:29   #727
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if i sound but today on my visit to the scrapyard i saw this Delight waiting for a body swap. But it still fires up. Actually to be precise, its there for atleast 5 days and has seen 3 PP's being chopped in front of her eyes(headlamps) Was roaming around it with a keen eye in order to get an idea as to what all parts should be saved from this and found some interesting part that i don't recognise. Have a look at the pics and please mention what is this part called, it stated ZAVOLI ITALY.
BTW its been de-registered and has donated its meter, grill with logo and a jewel light to me .
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0341.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0342.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0360.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0361.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0362.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0363.jpg  

Old 8th June 2010, 15:32   #728
Senior - BHPian

^^ Zavoli is a popular and well known LPG kit maker from Italy. Its available in various places in Bangalore. I dont know if they were making any other parts, escpecially for Fiats in yester decades.
Old 9th June 2010, 17:02   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Did you got the Solenoid switch checked. It must be the culprit for that noise. Also the Lucas Ignition coil no. is PA12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_2007 View Post
@S1Fiat, I faced the same problem few weeks back. Changed the solenoid and there is no problem now. Hope it will help. Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
If solenoid switch is a problem then its available (the external type) for Rs. 210 and the make is Autolek. This is just for reference purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Yeah the solenid switch, the starting relay , the thing that goes tuk-tuk. same thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
I really hope you have checked every inch of the wiring for loose connections. My 800's negative terminal that comes from the battery was properly connected to the starter motor but my car was overheating my horn didnt work properly and host of other issues. nothing solved the overheating issue. A full tune up was done and there was no water in the engine oil so i knew it wasnt the head gasket. One day i noticed that a wire from the negative terminal of the battery going toward a bolt in the body had split. At that moment my cooling fan was running and since the car was overheating....it never stopped running while the engine was on. so i held the split ends of the wire together and voila the speed of the fan increase. I held it that way for about 8 secs and the fan went off . i soldered the wire and taped it up and ever since no overheating. the horn and pretty much everything started working normaly again.

bottomline:
1) check your wiring harness for ruptures or loose joints.

2)(this is the more likely culprit)also check you starting relay(if thats what you call it) the thing that goes tak tak. replace that and see. The ignition coil really has little to do with the self starter circuit. so changing the coil wont help.
Hi Folks,

Thanks a lot for your guidance - Got changed 'Solenoid' switch, and problem is solved now.

@samsag12 - I got it from a genuine parts dealer of 'Lucas - TVS' make which cost me for 340 Rs. (obviously original price was scratched from packet)

And now when I switch it on, it wrooooomssss like butter.
Old 9th June 2010, 17:37   #730
BHPian

'Sudden discharge' of battery in running condition.

Can anybody flash light on this?
After the starting trouble is resolved (Solenoid switch replacement)
Suddenly she has started behaving funny.
Another problem popping up is, 'Sudden discharge' of battery in running condition.
Headlamp will go dim, Horn will start crying, but when I give full throttle, it regains its conscious. This will happen for a moment and disappear.
Even if I keep it idle for a day or two, it will not hesitate to start or battery will not get discharge, but only in running condition it will behave hilariously.
Is it because of malfunction of alternator or loose electrics?
But I have checked all wirings before, and it seems ok
No clue !!
Old 9th June 2010, 19:11   #731
Senior - BHPian

Its nice to hear that you got the solenoid replaced S1FIAT. You are lucky to have found a Lucas TVS switch.
Regarding the Sudden discharge problem, I think the culprit is the Alternator. It seems that its not providing sufficient charge to the battery.Is by any chance your idle RPM low. Experts do help him out.
Old 11th June 2010, 14:11   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1FIAT View Post
Can anybody flash light on this?
After the starting trouble is resolved (Solenoid switch replacement)
Suddenly she has started behaving funny.
Another problem popping up is, 'Sudden discharge' of battery in running condition.
Headlamp will go dim, Horn will start crying, but when I give full throttle, it regains its conscious. This will happen for a moment and disappear.
Even if I keep it idle for a day or two, it will not hesitate to start or battery will not get discharge, but only in running condition it will behave hilariously.
Is it because of malfunction of alternator or loose electrics?
But I have checked all wirings before, and it seems ok
No clue !!
Get your wirings checked along with the alternator. Does the battery drain out during day time driving too? I suspect the wiring.
Old 17th June 2010, 22:33   #733
BANNED

Gurus:
Can the ignition switch in my 1991 Padmini, the one below the steering, be repaired? I have seen many Padminis where this switch is conked off..
Old 17th June 2010, 23:39   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatMyLife View Post
Gurus:
Can the ignition switch in my 1991 Padmini, the one below the steering, be repaired? I have seen many Padminis where this switch is conked off..
Why repair? Just pick a working one from scrap yard like I did for my S1.
Old 18th June 2010, 07:14   #735
Senior - BHPian

Karthik bhai are these type of switches not available new.? I think JAY make are still available or was it the left over stock

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks