Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2010, 19:12   #676
Senior - BHPian

Sagar Bhai..I need the middle section (where the PAL logo is there) changed as it is in a bad condition.This may be just the Horn section.
Old 8th May 2010, 19:30   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Sagar Bhai..I need the middle section (where the PAL logo is there) changed as it is in a bad condition.This may be just the Horn section.
Its indeed the horn button assembly. Have PMed you regarding this.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:30   #678
Senior - BHPian

@Sagar: Here is how I have connected the Jalwa horns on my S1.

Pic 1 shows the switch used to toggle between Jalva/No Horn/Stock Horn
Pic 2 and 3 shows where horn is fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc00017.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc00018.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc00019.jpg  

Last edited by funkykar : 10th May 2010 at 12:31.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:55   #679
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for posting the pictures of the car. Was thinking of this place but it seems you have got the mounting bracket fabricated to fit horns in that place.
BTW can you shed some light on the switch you used. What is it called, from where can it be purchased et al.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:14   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Thanks for posting the pictures of the car. Was thinking of this place but it seems you have got the mounting bracket fabricated to fit horns in that place.
BTW can you shed some light on the switch you used. What is it called, from where can it be purchased et al.
The mounting bracket was as it is. I dont know whether all Jalwas come with same type of bracket or not. As fas as I remember, with whatever bracket that is present in my Jalwa, I could fit here or behind the left head light.

I will figure out what this switch is called. I think just going to a parts shop and explaining what you need, they should provide you this switch. My wild guess is its a 2 way switch.
Old 10th May 2010, 14:45   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I will figure out what this switch is called. I think just going to a parts shop and explaining what you need, they should provide you this switch. My wild guess is its a 2 way switch.
It is called a toggle switch. It will enable you to operate either of the two horns with the stock horn button on your steering wheel. In the center position, no horn would operate. With a combination of these switches one can toggle between 'n' number of horns in the car.

Also, there is a diagonal beam above the parcel shelf on the extreme sides (one below the glove box and the other behind the bonnet opening lever on cars which have them on the RHS). These pillars have 2 or 3 holes punched from the factory which can be used to mount such toggle switches. Although it would be inconvenient compared to having the switch on the dashboard, it saves the original body shell and equipment from being drilled in. Also in pre-88or86 Padminis which came with a single speed wiper, the extreme left switch on the dashboard is blank. It can also be used as a switch for either the horns or electric fuel pump.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 10th May 2010 at 14:52.
Old 10th May 2010, 15:27   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
It is called a toggle switch. It will enable you to operate either of the two horns with the stock horn button on your steering wheel. In the center position, no horn would operate. With a combination of these switches one can toggle between 'n' number of horns in the car.

Also, there is a diagonal beam above the parcel shelf on the extreme sides (one below the glove box and the other behind the bonnet opening lever on cars which have them on the RHS). These pillars have 2 or 3 holes punched from the factory which can be used to mount such toggle switches. Although it would be inconvenient compared to having the switch on the dashboard, it saves the original body shell and equipment from being drilled in. Also in pre-88or86 Padminis which came with a single speed wiper, the extreme left switch on the dashboard is blank. It can also be used as a switch for either the horns or electric fuel pump.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Thanks Adheesh!

I too noticed the holes that are punched from the factory on the beam. Its not at all easy to operate them while you are driving. It takes away quite some concentration on driving. Its best to put the less used type of switch there.

I totally have 3 switches in my car. One for horn, one for fog lamps and one for music system.

In the picture where you see the toggle switch of the horn, yesterday I moved it to the beam since I dont toggle between the switch frequently. The fog lamp switch was on the beam which I put at the place where the horn toggle switch was initially on. Life is much more easier now.
Old 10th May 2010, 20:05   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
The mounting bracket was as it is. I dont know whether all Jalwas come with same type of bracket or not. As fas as I remember, with whatever bracket that is present in my Jalwa, I could fit here or behind the left head light.

Do you have any pre fitted pic of the mounting bracket of horns. The one on my set has 2 front faced bolts. Have a look at it yourself.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post1878656

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Thanks a lot Adheesh for shedding some light on the switch. Will try to find it in various parts shops.
Old 10th May 2010, 20:10   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any pre fitted pic of the mounting bracket of horns. The one on my set has 2 front faced bolts. Have a look at it yourself.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post1878656

Thanks a lot Adheesh for shedding some light on the switch. Will try to find it in various parts shops.

I will try and post the pics of the bracket this week some time.

The switch, I you should find it very easily. Only the Fiat parts more difficult
Old 10th May 2010, 20:13   #685
Senior - BHPian

Yeah truly said. And parts related to Padmini S1 and 137D are needles in haystack.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:49   #686
BHPian

Quote:
The switch is a 'Single pole double throw' should be available in any automobile parts shop. Just for your info you can also use a normal electrical two way switch which is used in staircases.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:38   #687
Senior - BHPian

Sir what type of switches are used in staircases. I didn't get your point. Are these switches simply not called toggle switches.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:10   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Sir what type of switches are used in staircases. I didn't get your point. Are these switches simply not called toggle switches.
The switches on staircases where you can switch it on from downstairs and switch it off after you reach upstairs and vice versa these switches can also be used. A toggle switch is a generic name for a switch and a 'toggle switch' is a class of electrical switches that are actuated by a mechanical lever, handle, or rocking mechanism.
deepakgita is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2010, 12:42   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakgita View Post
The switches on staircases where you can switch it on from downstairs and switch it off after you reach upstairs and vice versa these switches can also be used. A toggle switch is a generic name for a switch and a 'toggle switch' is a class of electrical switches that are actuated by a mechanical lever, handle, or rocking mechanism.

Just visit a parts store Sagar, you will very easily find such a switch. Apart from the switch, I believe my electrician also put a cut outer for the horns.
Old 16th May 2010, 21:39   #690
Senior - BHPian

I have a few issues/questions about the fuel meter and the neck of the fuel tank.

1) When I full tanked my S1 prior to a trip yesterday, towards the end of filling, I noticed that there were some fuel spillage from bottom. It was right benath where tank is placed. It did nit leak from the lid. Around 50-100ml was visible. Is this common?

2) When I opemed the dickey, around the neck as pointed in the pic, I see a thick carpet type cloth wrapped on the neck. It was wet and smelled petrol when i felt it with my hand. Why is this so? Again, is it normal?

3) How does the fuel indicator show amount of fuel in the fiat? If you look closely it has 5 blocks including the red one. Couple are small and one is very big block. Why so? The area marked in green, the needle moves very slow and I get great mileage during this period. Why is that so?
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc00062.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc00063.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dsc00066.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks