Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2011, 08:58   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Dear Ilangop - thanks. Maybe we should meet one of these days.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 5th April 2011, 13:03   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Ilangop - thanks. Maybe we should meet one of these days.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sure Sir, I am honoured.
Old 5th April 2011, 22:26   #873
Senior - BHPian

I am facing a Peculiar issue with my restoration of my Fiat. As my original chassis was bad I have to go for replacement (Second Hand). Well Here is what the situation now. The old chassis and cars body dimensions match exactly. How ever there is a huge difference between the current chassis and the body mounting points as evident from the picture.

Can any one guide me in this regard, Should I make the dimesions of both body and chassis as per spec by way of jack and vice.

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-dimensions.jpg

All other dimensions seems to be ok, There is angularity also to be maintained as per the drawings which I would be measuring after obtaining necessary tools.
Old 6th April 2011, 21:00   #874
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Manish - after 50 years, 12 mm is expected. Just align the body by using a turnbuckle. Don't worry about these small things, just proceed.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 20:17   #875
Senior - BHPian

Though not a technical question but i guess many Fiatians follow this thread so thought of asking this here.
I am in the process of procuring the following rubber parts for my car & need to know the status of its availability and which part can be interchanged with some other car especially the 5th part :
1. Windshield and rear windscreen rubber beading.
2. Door gola as its locally called.
3. Window glass rubber channel.
4. Dicky rubber lining.
5. Glass frame felt/rubber strips. (the one which are fitted on the insides of the door frames)

I hope all the above parts must not cost more than 2K Rs.

Last edited by samsag12 : 24th April 2011 at 20:18.
Old 24th April 2011, 23:36   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
1. Windshield and rear windscreen rubber beading.
2. Door gola as its locally called.
3. Window glass rubber channel.
4. Dicky rubber lining.
5. Glass frame felt/rubber strips. (the one which are fitted on the insides of the door frames)
1. Its from a company called ALP. The grade is EPDM. Still in production.
2. I dont know what you are referring to.
3. Ditto
4. Local adaptations are available. They are basically rubber pipes with a lateral cut. I have seen many after-market fitments with heatlon like material pasted on the inside of the dickey lid.
5. Unity. Still in production

Quote:
I hope all the above parts must not cost more than 2K Rs.
The front and read glass beading itself costs around 1200 Rupees and that was three years ago. Add to that the cost of sealant (not imperative but recommended), good quality ones start at around 500Rs.
adheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 11:01   #877
Senior - BHPian

Adheesh by rubber gola i meant the rubber beadings fitted on the frame of the car to seal the door gap. Local people here call it either rubber gola or door gola.

Regarding the total cost i think with the windscreen rubber costing only 1200, the collective price would definitely cross 2500Rs mark. I will definitely use some gap sealant once i get the beading fitted. Anyways thanks a lot for the help.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:44   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Adheesh by rubber gola i meant the rubber beadings fitted on the frame of the car to seal the door gap. Local people here call it either rubber gola or door gola.

Regarding the total cost i think with the windscreen rubber costing only 1200, the collective price would definitely cross 2500Rs mark. I will definitely use some gap sealant once i get the beading fitted. Anyways thanks a lot for the help.
Oh ! We call it door rubber beading here A company named Goldseal used to manufacture them for Padmini's however it's no longer in production for the past few years. The quality used to be very good. The same company still manufactures these for some modern cars. There is also some 'Maruti type' door beading for our cars manufactured by Goldseal. 'Maruti type' is a local jargon. I think the door beading for some Maruti car can be adapted for use in Padminis incase of non-availability hence the terminology.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 29th April 2011, 18:03   #879
Senior - BHPian

I need some information on the Milling of the Superselect steering wheel. Can it be fitted on the S1 steering shaft. Want to enjoy thin steering drives for few days so thought of this idea.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:10   #880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Manish - after 50 years, 12 mm is expected. Just align the body by using a turnbuckle. Don't worry about these small things, just proceed.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram Sir,

We are doing the same as suggested by you, but just wanted to know what would be the drawback if we open up the chassis only and match the dimension to that of the body. will it any way effect the dynamics of front end. I think we can set that right with wheel alignment.

Last edited by manishalive : 6th May 2011 at 16:12.
Old 9th May 2011, 13:17   #881
Senior - BHPian

small problems:

1. the fuel level indicator remains stuck at 1/4 level even after filling 20litres of Petrol - recently i got the petrol tank and fuel lines cleaned - FYI. where should i look into?

2. the Engine oil level indicator is not glowing - but if i hold the plug in the engine bay tight - it glows but i moment i let it go - it switches off. do i need a new switch? how complicated is the work?

3. any diagrams on the mounting point of the rear suspension on the leaves?

shot a month back:

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-photo0500.jpg
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 13:59   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
1. the fuel level indicator remains stuck at 1/4 level even after filling 20litres of Petrol - recently i got the petrol tank and fuel lines cleaned - FYI. where should i look into?
2. the Engine oil level indicator is not glowing - but if i hold the plug in the engine bay tight - it glows but i moment i let it go - it switches off. do i need a new switch? how complicated is the work?
1. Check the wires & grounding for the sender unit.
2. Replace the pressure sensor
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 14:00   #883
BANNED

Quote:
small problems:

The float in the petrol tank is the culprit.
EARTHed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 18:54   #884
BHPian

Quote:
small problems:

3. any diagrams on the mounting point of the rear suspension on the leaves?

1. As others said, the fuel level sensor in the boot should be checked. Remove the stepney wheel, there would be a plastic cover fixed to the floor with half a dozen 8mm nuts . Remove it and you'll see the circular top mounting plate of the sensor. Check the sensor wire connection first before opening the float. If that doesn't work shunt the sensor wire with earth anywhere on the body. The fuel level should be indicated as full (if it doesn't, the problem isn't with the sensor.) If the level indicated is full, then open the remaining half a dozen 8mm nuts holding down the top plate of the sensor. Be careful with the paper packing. The sensor works on rheostat principle with the float connected to the moving arm. Check the rounds of the coil and gently clean them, then move the float up and down very very gently with your hand, check the corresponding fuel level on the dash. If the problem still persist, replace the sensor. It was manufactured by Yenkay which is now Siemens VDO.

2. Maybe the oil pressure sensor on the block is loose. (very unlikely though) You can try gently tightening it with a 24mm wrench. Check the tightness of the electrical connection clip, you can tighten it slightly with a nose plier. Else, simply replace the oil pressure sensor switch.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-rear-suspension.png  

Last edited by adheesh : 10th May 2011 at 18:57.
adheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 08:59   #885
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all, there is a sad news - with a heavy heart and a great deal of sadness, I would want to inform you that my teacher Mr.Anil Patel who taught me so much about the Premier Padmini car is no more. He passed away in USA due to a cardiac arrest last to last Monday. He was 76. May his soul rest in eternal peace. With his passing away, all my three teachers Mr.Framroze Nariman / Mr.Anil Patel and Mr.Shashi Mohile have gone. Anyways, life goes on. I am sure that they will always live on in our hearts and through our actions. Last Friday, I drove down from Nasik to Mumbai in my 1964 super select fiat MRY3112. The car ran absolutely brilliantly. Although I was alone, I felt as if Anil was sitting next to me and guiding me through the journey. All three of them are like God to me.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks