Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 13:24   #961
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Dear Bulldogji - Oh, now I understand. If you have fitted to bigger engined cars (american cars generally have big engines and generally consume a lot of fuel), the mass flow may not be sufficient. Need to check. thanks for the information.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th July 2012, 08:34   #962
Senior - BHPian

I need some help from fellow members regarding the location of temperature pin on the Konkorde (padmini speedo console with clock) type meter. Have tried a no. of times to locate it by trial & error but couldn't find the exact pin. I am attaching a pic of the said meter & pin socket.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0097.jpg  

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-image0100.jpg  

Old 12th July 2012, 10:11   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
I need some help from fellow members regarding the location of temperature pin on the Konkorde (padmini speedo console with clock) type meter. Have tried a no. of times to locate it by trial & error but couldn't find the exact pin. I am attaching a pic of the said meter & pin socket.
How did you check the console? You to power up with 12V at keyon. Connect the ground point to the Illumination light's ground. Take one more wire from the ground and check at one pin after the other. At the exact pin, the needle will show full deflection.
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 14:54   #964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
How did you check the console? You to power up with 12V at keyon. Connect the ground point to the Illumination light's ground. Take one more wire from the ground and check at one pin after the other. At the exact pin, the needle will show full deflection.
-Ilango
I have a spare meter on which i checked using a 12v battery. Have located the ground pin, (its the 32nd element in a matrix form )
I don't want to pull apart the fitted meter as its a herculean task to remove and fit it back.
Will try my luck with the spare meter one more time.
Old 14th July 2012, 23:47   #965
BHPian

Is it possible to fit a 12 V power source somewhere in the dashboard. Could it be fitted without drilling any holes on the metal dashboard?
Old 15th July 2012, 10:57   #966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
Is it possible to fit a 12 V power source somewhere in the dashboard. Could it be fitted without drilling any holes on the metal dashboard?
Yes a 12v power socket/ cig. lighter can be fitted without drilling hole on the dashboard. You have to procure a metal plate (looks same as the one on which the choke knob is fitted) which can be screwed under the dashboard & the socket fitted on it.

Here's a pic for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-picture-013.jpg  

Last edited by samsag12 : 15th July 2012 at 11:04.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 12:36   #967
BHPian

Is the engine oil filter for the old Fiat 1100Ds and Padminis the same as the newer versions? The mechanic told that the older models had a separate chamber for fitting the oil filter(just behing the cooling fan) but in the newer versions the filter is directly fitted(tightened) to the block. The old type oil filter is difficult to source now-a-days. Does the filter of any other car fit inside the chamber?Another query-Is Indian Oil SAE 20W-40 oil suitable for the engine and EP 90 for the gearbox and differential.The mechanic has also added coolant in the radiator diluted with distilled water. When I asked whether it is necessary to install a coolant expansion chamber he said that it is not required. Is it the right way to use coolant?
Old 16th July 2012, 16:59   #968
BHPian

Quote:
1. Is the engine oil filter for the old Fiat 1100Ds and Padminis the same as the newer versions? The mechanic told that the older models had a separate chamber for fitting the oil filter(just behing the cooling fan) but in the newer versions the filter is directly fitted(tightened) to the block. The old type oil filter is difficult to source now-a-days. Does the filter of any other car fit inside the chamber?
2. Another query-Is Indian Oil SAE 20W-40 oil suitable for the engine and EP 90 for the gearbox and differential.
3. The mechanic has also added coolant in the radiator diluted with distilled water. When I asked whether it is necessary to install a coolant expansion chamber he said that it is not required. Is it the right way to use coolant?
1. Yes, the filters are different. Veteran Fiat enthusiats would be able to help you locate the Original filter cartridge. Just wait for a reply from them.
2. Yes, the oil specs are right.
3. Adding coolant is not mandatory as we dont live in a snow covered region where the water freezes in the day. But adding coolant is good because it contains some anti-rusting agents that prevent rusting in the Cast-Iron block of the Fiat engine. Expansion chamber is REQUIRED to collect the expanded water / coolant mixture while the engine is warm and then draw water back into the cooling circuit once the engine cools. Otherwise coolant would be lost though the drain hose and you will have to top it up very often. An expansion chamber wouldn't cost you more than a 100 or 150 bucks. Just buy one and fit it.
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 18:12   #969
BHPian

Is it possible to fit a power steering in a Fiat 1100D. If possible, the assembly of which car can be an easy fit without many alterations.It becomes very difficult to park the car in tight spots . Actually there are no cross roads in our locality,the only way to turn the car the other way is to move the car back and forth. As the road is only 16 feet wide, it takes about 10 minutes to turn the car only. This is very cumbersome on a daily basis. So fiat gurus please suggest the way of fitting a power steering.
Old 16th July 2012, 21:10   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to fit a power steering in a Fiat 1100D. If possible, the assembly of which car can be an easy fit without many alterations.It becomes very difficult to park the car in tight spots . Actually there are no cross roads in our locality,the only way to turn the car the other way is to move the car back and forth. As the road is only 16 feet wide, it takes about 10 minutes to turn the car only. This is very cumbersome on a daily basis. So fiat gurus please suggest the way of fitting a power steering.
Not exactly the solution to your query but:

With my personal experience with my PP (not the 1100D), I would say it's steering is quite smooth and doesn't need power steering. Also, ideally it's good to move vehicle while turning in manual/power assisted both case. It's good for mechanical parts + tyres.

Just my thought though, let's see suggestions on the query you have.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 17th July 2012, 08:55   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Hi 100Kmph,
Your answer regarding "If it is possible?" - Yes absolutely possible, but requires the help of a skilled person who has done this many times or one who knows what he does.
But, this is not going to change your turning radius because a power steering system doesnot alter the geometry of the linkages. It only assists. So you might still have to drive the car back & forth to turn your car. Only the effort put in from your side will be reduces.
As it is, the PP's steering system is butter smooth if the steering ball joints and king pins are properly lubricated. If not change all the ball joints & king pin journals and feel the difference. You will never again think of a power steering.
Old 17th July 2012, 09:13   #972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the engine oil filter for the old Fiat 1100Ds and Padminis the same as the newer versions? The mechanic told that the older models had a separate chamber for fitting the oil filter(just behing the cooling fan) but in the newer versions the filter is directly fitted(tightened) to the block. The old type oil filter is difficult to source now-a-days. Does the filter of any other car fit inside the chamber?Another query-Is Indian Oil SAE 20W-40 oil suitable for the engine and EP 90 for the gearbox and differential.The mechanic has also added coolant in the radiator diluted with distilled water. When I asked whether it is necessary to install a coolant expansion chamber he said that it is not required. Is it the right way to use coolant?
Dear 100kmph - there were two types of engine oil filters in Premier Padmini cars. 1. Behind the fan. 2. On the LH side of the cylinder block.
The first one is a bypass filter. The second one is a full flow filter. These filters are as different as apples and oranges, parts are not interchangeable. Full flow oil filter has better performance as compared to bypass oil filter. Full flow oil filter was introduced in production in 1986, first in black economy cars (Mumbai Taxies) and then in all cars. In bypass oil filter cars, the oil pressure relief valve is located externally. In full flow oil filter cars, it is located inside the oil sump.

If you are not using a surge tank, use only soft water in the radiator, there is no need for coolant except for the advantages as mentioned by Ilangop. Don't waste money un-necessarily. Please drain all old water by opening the tap behind the distributor. If it is jammed 9it will be), use a 14 mm spanner to remove the tap completely from the cylinder block, then clean the sludge in the cylinder block hole for the dirty water to come out. If this is not done, the cooling system will not get flushed. The best solution is to use the S1 degassing tank. I am attaching a photograph of one of my cars' engine compartment, showing the engineered fitment solution. The part number for the filler pipe is PAB48431 and for the return pipe is PAB48432 but in my case, the return pipe length is extended due to adaptation of the degassing tank with vertical flow radiator instead of cross flow radiator.

Do not even think of power steering. Ensure that the production system works properly. Ensure that you have 220cc of SAE140 grade oil in the steering gear box and all joints are properly lubricated. Also ensure that the tires are in order. Tire hysterisis can play havoc with the entire car and you will waste money doing things not required to be done.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-100_0190.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 08:57   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to fit a power steering in a Fiat 1100D.
Dude, Was brain storming about the power steering option such that it wouldn't affect the geometry of the steering systems. How about transplanting a Maruti Suzuki or Hyundai Electric assisted power steering. You will only have to retrofit the steering column and wire the system. Mostly the system would require a 12V power supply and a vehicle speed input. Any web based suzuki or Hyundai workshop manual can help you in this regard. But be warned, this mod would require some cutting & welding of the Steering column support frame on your vehicle.
Old 21st July 2012, 15:58   #974
BHPian

Hi 100 Kmph, I thought to add my two penny bits. Coolants are alcohol based solutions whose sole purpose is to raise the boiling point of water. Normal water boils at 100C, coolants boil at 120C.All modern cars have coolants because their normal operating temperatures are between 90 and 110 degrees Celsius, temperatures at which plain water turns to steam. In older technology cars, where normal operating temperatures are in the range of 80 to 85degrees Celsius, generally water suffices to cool the engine. However, if you are driving in heavy traffic with an air conditioner perhaps adding coolant is a good idea. This because once water boils, it transforms into steam, result? No cooling and major risk of damage to the engine. The anti rust properties are an added advantage . Having said this, a well tuned Fiat will not overheat, so its really your call. The steering geometry of Fiats is such that the steering is very light, so get your car checked thoroughly for possible faults. Power steering is not the remedy. Another cause for a heavier than normal steering is the tendency of putting oversize tyres.
Old 22nd July 2012, 18:09   #975
Senior - BHPian

Also, the coolant have lubricating properties good for the water pump seal.

Which is a good tyre option for fiat

5.20-14 MRF legend (with or without whitewall inserts).

or 165/80-14 of the Swift that I can get from my swift.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks