Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2015, 14:30   #1066
BHPian

re: The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Contact parts shop in JC road. Jadsons, best and few others used to have stock for PP cars. As for glass there is Glass dealer near Jadsons he may have these glasses.
Dear Mr Manish,
Thank you very much for your timely help. I was able to procure all the parts required, except for the indicator stalk assembly. The universal joint coupler has deteriorated as well, and I was able to get the new part.
hifisharu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 16:12   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Dear Mr Manish,
Thank you very much for your timely help. I was able to procure all the parts required, except for the indicator stalk assembly. The universal joint coupler has deteriorated as well, and I was able to get the new part.
Should be available with the 3-4 fiat parts guys there. If not then bangalore scrap yard is the solution. But these assemblies are still available in some small towns in many states.

Also Contact Arun / Karthick of FCB (Fiat Club Bangalore), they should be able to guide you well.
Old 19th April 2015, 21:23   #1068
BHPian

Dear All,
I am a longtime silent member on this threadand the various other Fiat/PP threads. I own a 62 super Select and today while unlocking the front passenger door from inside, realised that it had become loose and was not having any action.
The handle was OK , but it looked like the linkage behind which activates the lock had come loose.
I opened up the panel and found that the small connecting rod (for lack of a better word) between the door handle mechanism and the link which activates the lock at the door was no longer connected, thereby rendering the door handle loose
It looks like something has fallen off and the two links arent able to stay together.
Can the experts shed some light on how to fix it and how exactly the linkage between the handle and the lock is connected ? Thanks in advance.

I will post some photos shortly, it was already evening, so couldnt take any, but any pointers would really help
raghuram

Last edited by raghuram.cg : 19th April 2015 at 21:32.
raghuram.cg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 18:26   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
Dear All,
I am a longtime silent member on this threadand the various other Fiat/PP threads. I own a 62 super Select and today while unlocking the front passenger door from inside, realised that it had become loose and was not having any action.
The handle was OK , but it looked like the linkage behind which activates the lock had come loose.
I opened up the panel and found that the small connecting rod (for lack of a better word) between the door handle mechanism and the link which activates the lock at the door was no longer connected, thereby rendering the door handle loose
It looks like something has fallen off and the two links arent able to stay together.
Can the experts shed some light on how to fix it and how exactly the linkage between the handle and the lock is connected ? Thanks in advance.

I will post some photos shortly, it was already evening, so couldnt take any, but any pointers would really help
raghuram
Dear All -
The problem is solved. Upon further examination in daylight, i realised that there is a provision for a split pin and that had given away.
relieved!!
-raghu
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:39   #1070
BHPian

Buddies,

My dream of adding a Premier Padmini to my family has been realized finally

Car is a 1990 model Deluxe BE. I am the fourth owner. The car was with the third owner for close to 23 years and I am really grateful to him, for he has kept the car in good shape, full credit to him. The car was also serviced by a single mechanic for all these years.

I will start an ownership thread soon, but for now, sharing some pics here:

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wp_20150730_08_52_34_pro.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wp_20150731_07_18_08_pro.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wp_20150731_07_18_20_pro.jpg

I got in touch with Behram Dhabhar Sir and he has been kind enough to guide me in getting this beauty back to her best form.

Observations:

0) Body seems to be in good shape, but RR door is loose and needs setting. All rubber parts have aged and are cracking. There are patches of rust seen on the body internals, and even on chrome bumpers.

1) When the car was cranked first time in my presence, it did not start - Battery had drained. The car was push started.

2) The car drove well, however, there were lot of noises from underbody and suspension.

The car was driven down to my place by the car mechanic (I was not willing to take chances) hitting 60-70 kmph at some places. After reaching home I noticed that tyre pressures were low. I got the tyres inflated at a petrol bunk near home and I saw the pressure was only 15~17 rear tyres and 20~22 in front. Its now inflated to 28 PSI and seems to be holding.

Observations I made after driving the car:

1) Car starts on self, but will switch off if I dont give accelerator input. One small tap on the pedal will get the car to idling

2) The idling is not smooth. Car rocks around a bit and I feel the car is missing beats. May be one cylinder is not firing. However, on accelerator input, the car revs easily an gets smoother.

3) The muffler is rusted and leaking

4) There is soot coming out of the tail pipe with some water. This may be linked to bad timing / rich mixture. The carb is a Solex, but I dont know which model. Will post a pic soon.

5) RHS door Rear view mirror is good, but does not stay in position. Need to add packing and tighten. LHS - no mirror. Nightmare to park at home. Right now my father is exhibiting hither-to unseen patience in guiding me to park correctly.

6) Tyres are CEAT SAFETY DRIVES. 2 are retreaded. The sidewall rubber in all tyres have cracked.

7) There seems to be some leakage from differential, but there is no dripping yet, so I am assuming that the leakage is not bad.

8) After a 1 hour run, temp needle was below halfway mark. This is something I need to understand. In Zen, Indica and Linea (my other cars), the temp needle moves to mid position and stays there. Is it normal to have the needle below halfway?

9) No ammeter in my car. From my previous readings I understand this is because I have an alternator instead of a dynamo.

10) Brakes are HARD. First few mm of pedal is ok, but to see any effect of brakes, I need to stand on the pedal. I have to drive really slow to make sure I stop in time. May be needs bleeding and refilling.

I contacted Behram Sir after taking delivery and he has advised me to get the car washed, greased and change the fluids as per the recommendations made in this thread. I spent yesterday visiting various service centers, and trying to check the inventory of the grease they have. I have come across one IOC bunk on RV road, where they wash and grease cars. If anyone knows any HP bunk in South Bangalore that does washing / greasing / oil service, please do let me know. I want to get this done this week.

I am in touch with manishalive, and some FCCB people too. I badly need owners / workshop manual for my car.

Yesterday, I opened the HT cables (they are copper core) one by one (did not want to mess up the firing order) at the spark plug end, and I noticed some scaling on the contacts. Not severe, but present. I also saw similar scaling on spark plug electrodes. I pulled the wires and they came off very easily - felt they were loose, actually. I gently pressed the connector ends to give a better fit and put them back. I opened the distributor cap, and all contacts seemed to be okay, and I put it back in place. I started the car, and the same rocky idling prevailed.

I will get the work that Behram sir recommended and then I will set about fixing the other issues.

Look forward to your comments, advise and support!

Autocrat

Last edited by autocrat : 3rd August 2015 at 11:58. Reason: Added information.
autocrat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:47   #1071
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Gowtham (autocrat) - first of all, thanks, its my pleasure to help! . Please do EXACTLY what I have told you (it is all given in this thread also), step by step, word by word, line by line, then the car will work properly. The base car is very good, please do not do anything silly!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:06   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Gowtham (autocrat)The base car is very good, please do not do anything silly!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I think this is the most important part.

I will add this to the earlier lesson that's been mentioned several times

"There is only one way to do a perfect job, and that's the only correct way - please do not do anything silly"

I will refrain from letting my curiosity loose.

Thanks again sir!
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:15   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Nice color. Would love to see more pics. It is all under body pics. How is the interiors? Hope the original seat set up is retained.
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:37   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post

8) After a 1 hour run, temp needle was below halfway mark. This is something I need to understand. In Zen, Indica and Linea (my other cars), the temp needle moves to mid position and stays there. Is it normal to have the needle below halfway?
Yup, that is normal enough.

The gauges (in my experience) are quite error prone. Particularly the oil pressure gauge, in our '72 FIAT 1100D. It has a tendency to show a slightly lesser reading than the actual reading.

In our car, the temperature gauge has never worked. The temperature gauge in our car looks as if it was taken off a '65-'71 FIAT 1100 Delight.

No issues- in the period of ownership (almost 3 decades) the car hasn't even overheated once. *Touchwood*

As long as the car does not (severely) overheat- 'tis fine.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 3rd August 2015 at 13:44.
FINTAIL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:02   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Nice color. Would love to see more pics. It is all under body pics. How is the interiors? Hope the original seat set up is retained.
Thanks Ram!

The color is called "Pot Gray" if I am right. Haven't seen many in this color.

The original seat setup is in place (front and rear bench seats) but they are wrapped in velvety cover. I hope the original cover is underneath and intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Yup, that is normal enough.

The gauges (in my experience) are quite error prone. Particularly the oil pressure gauge, in our '72 FIAT 1100D. It has a tendency to show a slightly lesser reading than the actual reading.

In our car, the temperature gauge has never worked. The temperature gauge in our car looks as if it was taken off a '65-'71 FIAT 1100 Delight.

No issues- in the period of ownership (almost 3 decades) the car hasn't even overheated once. *Touchwood*

As long as the car does not (severely) overheat- 'tis fine.
Interesting piece of information! The previous owner told me to top up the radiator with tap water, when I was just about to leave with the car.

Thanks All
Old 3rd August 2015, 22:50   #1076
BHPian

Dear Friends,

More pics of the car:

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-resized_0042.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-resized_0038.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-resized_0030.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-resized_0032.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-resized_0034.jpg

Chipped and cracked paint at quite a few places
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-resized_0056.jpg

Sooty exhaust:
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-resized_0081.jpg

Light in Glovebox!! Was pleasantly surprised to see this - not available in my 12 lakh Linea!
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-resized_0084.jpg

Last edited by autocrat : 3rd August 2015 at 22:59.
autocrat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 09:57   #1077
BHPian

Dear FIATians,

I was wondering if rubber items can be reconditioned / renewed.

Please check the following link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5811107_repa...ng-rubber.html

I am particularly interested in point 2:

"Rubber trim on old cars may be rejuvenated with a tire dressing product like Back to Black or a rubber dye like Forever Black. Rubber car parts can also be soaked in clean power steering fluid (since the purpose of the fluid is to maintain the rubber seals in the system. Mixed results have been reported soaking antique car gaskets in pure ammonia (use a silicone gasket maker for critical components). Old door seals can be coated with black RTV gasket maker to provide a more attractive surface.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_5811107_repair-disintegrating-rubber.html"

I remember someone asking in one of the posts if we can buy tyres and preserve them, may be coating with PS fluid may prolong shelf life. However, no mention is made of any undesirable effect of this method, so better to test / research.

Last edited by autocrat : 4th August 2015 at 10:03.
Old 4th August 2015, 10:22   #1078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
1. Sooty exhaust. 2. Light in glovebox! I was pleasantly surprised to see this, not available in my 12 lakh Linea!
Dear Gowtham - my replies are as follows:

1. From the photograph, the muffler looks original, better to leave it alone for the time being. So, after the lubricant change, let's see the "tune-up" parameters (jetting may be incorrect, tappets may be tight, ignition timing may not be 10 degrees BTDC, etc.). Also, please post a photograph of all 4 spark plug wires fitted on the spark plugs, I want to see if there is any anomaly here.

2. Glove box light was first made by Mr.Morris, who used to work in the "service station" inside PAL. Way back in February 1977, he made the first lash-up prototype on a car which was unregistered and used inside the plant for material handling. He used the door jam switch. Then this was shown to all concerned and decision was taken to give this feature on Deluxe and Deluxe-BE cars only. As I was a junior engineer in the body group of product design, I released the instrument panel drawing for this feature. As your car is a Deluxe-BE, it has the light. Mr.Morris has since passed away long years back. This post is my fitting tribute to him, so thanks for showing the photograph on the forum.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 11:43   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u]

This post is my fitting tribute to him, so thanks for showing the photograph on the forum.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks for sharing this information Sir! We its nice to know about someone who improved a product and made life little better for us!

I am posting few more pics that I have with me now, I can take close up pics once I reach home and post them.

Complete Engine Bay:
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-complete-bay.jpg

Cropped and enhanced to show ignition system:
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-cropped-engine-bay.jpg

Ignition coil:
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-ignition-coil.jpg

I will also post pictures of the air filter (dry type) and carburetor once I reach home.

Thanks a lot!
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 23:43   #1080
BHPian

Dear Behram Sir,

Please find the pictures of Solex carburettor, HT Cables, distributor and coil below:

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wp_20150804_22_22_27_pro.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wp_20150804_22_23_05_pro.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wp_20150804_22_23_33_pro.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wp_20150804_22_24_23_pro.jpg

The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread-wp_20150804_22_25_16_pro.jpg

Thanks!
Goutham
autocrat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks