Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 21:30   #1891
BHPian

Yes, what Kavesh has said is 100% true. In 2004 when I was working as Asst. Prof. In COEngg, Ahmednagar all the
staff cars were Maruti-800,van, esteem and Indica. We had only 01 Palio, 01 Uno and 01 Padmini( Of course
mine).Still security chap asks me " Kya saab aapki blue padmini kaisi hai ?"
Once we decided to attend one of our collegue's marriage at Mumbai. We were having only 03 cars in our dept.
Those who are having Maruti-800 and Indica could not attend marriage becoz of some reason. Now only my car was left
with total 06 members. Everybody said No, we'l not go in Padmini but we'l hire sumo/qualis. But i was firm that if
you are not confident on my car/my driving then I'l not come with you, I'l go by bus. Finally everybody agreed.
We started early morning 04:00 am. With load of 06 persons and 03 small bags in dicky car was maintaining 80-90. We
stopped at 05:15 for 10mins, had tea and reached pune (120 kms 4m nagar) by 06:15. Then we started from pune and car was maintaining 90-100 n reach lonawala by 08:15. We took halt of 15 mins and reached
Mumbai by 10:00 am. Every body was stunned to see marriage hall where sharp 11:10 marriage was solemanized.
Its rellay nice to drive pure petrol Padmini with full load. The road stability, effect of suspension, the drag
firing note from exhaust and zeal to shift hand gear from 3rd to 4th at the speed of 50-60 and then pressing acclrator to raech upto 90-100. Wow I just can'tforget many many drives like this.
" Shaan se jiye hai wo log , jinka ek hath window pe rest karte hue aur dusare hath se stearing pakde hue, jinhone Padmini ko chalane ka aanand liya hai"
Old 17th June 2010, 22:05   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvkale2 View Post
To conclude i'l say,
" Shaan se jiye hai wo log , jinka ek hath window pe rest karte hue aur dusare hath se steering pakde hue, jinhone hazaro km Padmini ko chalane ka aanand liya hai!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Wah wah wah! Kyaa baat hain.

For some of us like me, during the era when the streets were filled of Fiats, I was too young and did not even have too many opportunities to even sit in the car. I am now living my dreams of owning them and using it for my daily drives. My mind feels so refreshed going to office on these beauties. What a way to start anyone's day
Old 17th June 2010, 22:46   #1893
Senior - BHPian

Wow guys, I love these Fiatful tales !

A couple of weeks back, a very old (88 yrs) aunt of mine was visiting from the US of A, staying with us for a few days. One night, I offered to take her for a drive in my "classic".
Naturally, my Mother, Wife, and Daughter too demanded they be taken along. So there we were, blasting the streets at 10.30 in the night, with the 'Blue and white' fully loaded - Five aboard ! The heady sound of the exhaust gave us all a high, as she picked the revs and ripped through the night..
Back home, a visibly impressed aunty ran her fingers along MRX 6839's fenders and remarked:"wow, you have one hell of a classic there" !!
Old 18th June 2010, 23:49   #1894
BHPian

Premier Padmini (Fiat S1) Engine For Sale, bangalore, India 5237623

You guys might want to check this out
Old 19th June 2010, 12:05   #1895
BHPian

FIAT1100 Rally cars

Hi guys!!
Check out the good old FIAT1100 RALLY cars in earlier Rallies !

Although Niaz is an Ambi buff, he was always chasing Fiats in those Rallys of the 80s. Theres a pic of Niaz 'drifting' a FIAT MILLICENTO - in the 60s.

Those were TSD rallys running for 3 continuous days and nights through all kinds of terrain. The Fiat can very well be prepared for the TSD Rally even today and can hold itself quite well. Beware though- I'm not talking about the looks but the performance on the road.

Old cars need to be driven constantly to keep them in reliable running condition. A weekly drive around the block does not qualify for this. Reliable performance cannot be assumed Unless a car does at least 300kms non-stop consistantly. Lots of parts fail due to disuse. A constantly running car will have better parts

There may be a separate class for Fiats, with sufficient number of entries and enough pressure applied to the FMSCI and the Rally organizers.

Niaz will help you apply the pressure, if you ask him nicely !

Last edited by docel : 19th June 2010 at 12:21.
Old 19th June 2010, 16:22   #1896
BHPian

Fiat 137 d for Sale

Hello

Check this out! I guess its a "chop top", ??

FIAT 137 D FOR SALE - Kochi - Cars
Old 19th June 2010, 19:14   #1897
Distinguished - BHPian

This superb 70-71 Delight had come to the Bombay scrappers a couple of years back - look familiar to any of the Bangalore boys? It was too expensive at the time so had to let it go.

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-01.jpg

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-02.jpg

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-03.jpg
Old 19th June 2010, 19:21   #1898
BANNED

Karl- Was that for sale or scrapping? Looks so complete!

Most of we FCB guys were not too much into Classic FIATs till FCB was formed. Thanks to enthusiasts like you that from the past few months we are keeping track of all the Classic Fiats. We are LATE, but better late than never.

Arun!

Last edited by FiatMyLife : 19th June 2010 at 19:23.
Old 19th June 2010, 19:43   #1899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatMyLife View Post
Karl- Was that for sale or scrapping? Looks so complete!
I don't know what eventually happened to it. Its probably running around as a cab

We try to save the good ones, but invariably they are from out of town and with incomplete/absent books. Sometimes we get lucky like I did with MTP 6351, saved at the 11th hour thanks to my partner in crime, President. Tracked down the first owner (a Parsi, former city engineer of Poona, a very senior posting) who had it from new till a couple of years ago, when he gifted it to his neighbour. He was mighty thrilled to see it alive and well.

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-03.jpg
Old 19th June 2010, 19:49   #1900
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I don't know what eventually happened to it. Its probably running around as a cab
Fiats more than 25 years old are not allowed to be used as taxi in Bombay right?

Quote:

Sometimes we get lucky like I did with MTP 6351, saved at the 11th hour thanks to my partner in crime, President. Tracked down the first owner (a Parsi, former city engineer of Poona, a very senior posting) who had it from new till a couple of years ago, when he gifted it to his neighbour. He was mighty thrilled to see it alive and well.
Congrats on acquiring this Delight!
Old 19th June 2010, 19:55   #1901
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fiats more than 25 years old are not allowed to be used as taxi in Bombay right?
Yes. What I mean is the body may be running around.
Old 19th June 2010, 20:38   #1902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This superb 70-71 Delight had come to the Bombay scrappers a couple of years back - look familiar to any of the Bangalore boys? It was too expensive at the time so had to let it go.

Attachment 370963

Attachment 370964

Attachment 370965
The car was spotted by us (President and me) on CST road in the last week of May in 2008. The asking price was too high that too without papers. MYO would mostly be Mysore.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 19th June 2010, 20:59   #1903
BANNED

MY - Mysore State
MYA - Bangalore, post MYB series
MYB - Bangalore from 1945
MYC - Chikmaglur
MYD - Commercial Vehicles
MYE - Karvar
MYF - State Road Transport
MYG - Mangalore, post MYX series
MYH - Hassan
MYI - No information
MYJ - Bijapur
MYK - Kolar
MYL - Belgaum
MYM - Mysore
MYN - Mandya
MYO - Bangalore
MYP - Bangalore
MYQ - Bangalore
MYR - Raichur
MYS - Shimoga
MYT - Tumkur
MYU - Chitradurga
MYV - Bangalore
MYW - Dharward
MYX - Mangalore
MYY - Bellary
MYZ - Coorg (Kodagu)

Post the MY series we have had the following numbers

ME Series - 1970's, MEA,MEB,MEC,MED,MEE etc
CA Series - Bangalore, as K series was in Kerala, CAA, CAB,CAC, CAD etc
CN Series - Largely out of Bangalore, CNZ,CNX
CT Series - Largely out of Bangalore, CTO,CTX
CK Series - Mainly Bangalore, CKA,CKD,CKL, CKM etc
KA Series - On computerization of numbers in 90's
MEC - Few vehicles in 1986

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1768039

Last edited by FiatMyLife : 19th June 2010 at 21:00.
Old 19th June 2010, 21:13   #1904
BANNED

Situation in Bangalore Gujiri for Fiat parts:

-Around 25 Padminis' end up in the scrapyard every month(70-80 cars a year back).

-Three main Old-Fiat dealers in scrapyard.

-Every engine/gearbox, whatever condition they are in, are sent to Bombay for use in taxis. A lorry load of around 50 engines are sent. We need to tell them beforehand if we are in need of an engine.

-If the Padmini's body line is good, the car itself is sent to Bombay. May be this was the case of MYO.

-Engine spares like Head is absolutely not available ready as no engine is opened.

-No pre-1965 Fiats have been broken in the last one year. Recently an Elegant, had original engine, tinkered body line and no other fittings, came to the scrapyard. The car was sold immediately for 18k. Delights are not spared.

-By the time demand from Bombay taxi wallahs reduce, the number of Padminis to be scrapped in Bangalore would have become very very less.

-Thanks to FCB, all shop owners in gujiri know that Fiat parts are back in demand. Prices have increased like hell for classic parts.

Regards,
Arun!

Last edited by FiatMyLife : 19th June 2010 at 21:33.
Old 19th June 2010, 21:37   #1905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Situation in Bangalore Gujiri for Fiat parts:
Arun,

Basha bhai has one delight meter (all black vethree make and working) (with the broken black cover and with out switches) and a delight grill with him. Plus he has some landmaster and elegent bumper. He also has 1956 wiper motor, magnetic mareli make of our fiats.

The wasim bhai who i had long given hin 200 bucks, says he has delight wheel caps. (not wasim but his elder brother). The corner shop which gave the lucas made in england head light, has told me of the weel caps for our cars pre 1962. Almost every one has tols us to come on monday .

Hope you can make it. I am game if there are original wheel caps of my car. All other items either you or saleem can have.

Well since I had some samples (which you gave) and pictures in my camera we got so many leads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks