Old 16th June 2010, 22:32   #1876
BANNED

Two more pics of S1!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc02567.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc02582.jpg  

Old 16th June 2010, 23:10   #1877
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - hello once again after a long time.

Yesterday, a very good friend of mine, an army Colonel called me asking me which new car out of the Wagon-R, the Ritz and the Punto he should buy. By the way, he owns a pristine condition Padmini S1 which is a PB08 (Hoshiarpur, Punjab) registration. After around 2 minutes of talk on the phone, I think he was convinced that he does not need any car, his Padmini is the best car suitable for his needs. I asked him if anything was wrong with PB08. His reply was "nothing is wrong, the family just keeps on telling me to buy a new car, that's all". I asked him, "what's your use"? he said "just going around the city with maybe a once a year / occasional trip around a 100 kms away". I told him not to buy anything, use a cab instead, no taxes, no parking fees, no challans, nothing.

Just analyse this conversation. People think of paying around 5 lakh of rupees and bring home a "car" (read "depreciating asset") when they do not even know why they want it. It's just because family said "buy it". The Colonel talked to me, but how many do not talk but just go out and buy? WOULD SUCH A PERSON BE REALLY HAPPY WITH HIS PURCHASE? NEVER. HE WILL ALWAYS CRIB AND THE POOR CAR / MANUFACTURER WILL GET THE FLAK. Think about it.

PS - I have seen PB08. It's really good.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 16th June 2010, 23:28   #1878
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - hello once again after a long time.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hello Sirji!

Here is a similar story which happened just yesterday.

All my neighbors love Fiats as they have been seeing how happily my Fiats run even after two decades.

I brought home Karthik's s1 yesterday(pics seen above). Some neighbor friends started staring at it as it is not a usual Padmini as it had Original Bucket seats, Floor gear, sun shade et all. I told them that it had an AVL(Austria) designed engine, Nissan gearbox, free flow exhaust etc.. They were literally floored!!

After a small drive in s1, usual discussion started that why buy another new "big" car when a Fiat is at home. Almost all families had a Fiat, before buying a Japanese car. Seeing my Fiats and FCB sticker on the windshield, all are envious of me now!

Sadly because of parking issues many had to sell away their good old Fiats. Anyways, hope OUR Fiat Clubs spread across India, inspires many Fiatians to keep their Fiats alive forever.

Regards,
Arun!
Old 16th June 2010, 23:32   #1879
Senior - BHPian

^^ This is just the beginning Arun. Its a classic case of "Neighbors envy, owners pride". If someone wants, they can still manage to easily get hold of a good FIAT today. Let a couple more years pass by, see the reactions on people who parted away with their FIATs, it will tell you the story.

Last edited by funkykar : 16th June 2010 at 23:34.
Old 16th June 2010, 23:45   #1880
BANNED

Hello BD Sir.

Story at my home:

After we bought a Korean car, I had to park My Fiat on road. After my Dad started using the Santro, he realized how good our Good old Fiat is! Then he changed his mind and started keeping our Fiat safely inside the compound.

Recently he bought a Punto, to regain the charm in driving daily an Italian. After buying the Punto, my Dad never told me to move the old Fiat out to park the new Punto in, as he was fully convinced that there is only one REAL CAR AT HOME - its the PADMINI.

Last edited by Sujith1100 : 16th June 2010 at 23:47.
Old 16th June 2010, 23:51   #1881
Senior - BHPian

Last week was the first time that I took my family for a drive in my S1. My dad is averagely knowledgeable about the Fiats. He did not have any clue about the S1, specifically my model with floor shift. Every single aspect he saw different from the older Fiats, he assumed I had modified it. He sounded unhappy for some time. When he got to know that it was all original, he was perplexed. When I told about the mileage, he was amazed.

He too said, if it can run so efficiently, why buy/use a new gen car.

Last edited by funkykar : 16th June 2010 at 23:56.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:13   #1882
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

i don't know for some reason i don't consider padmini/1100Ds as a family cars, it is not so spacious but it can still occupy 6 people. it looks heavy but the fact is its very light. many think it doesn't give good fuel efficiency. if it is tuned properly, it will give more than one can expect. many people think it doesn't have power and it cannot run on roads, i get irritated when i go in traffic not because of traffic but for the people who honk from behind thinking the car needs a push. it has a massive power, i always feel like driving a sports car when i drive my padmini. and i am surely participating in upcoming TSD rallies without modification to show what fiat is. i want our old fiats back on track.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:21   #1883
Senior - BHPian

^^ Amazing thought MB. Will be very very happy to see a Fiat on the rally track. what are the work you intend to do before hitting the tracks?
Old 17th June 2010, 10:33   #1884
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
^^ Amazing thought MB. Will be very very happy to see a Fiat on the rally track. what are the work you intend to do before hitting the tracks?
i fixed bucket seats, and need some info on fixing seat belts, fixed new radiator, planning to install effective brakes, and re positioning the hand brake lever, headers and free flow is also in the list. looking for better and affordable fog lights. suggest me if anything more required.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:00   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatMyLife View Post
Namma Bengaluru and FCB's Pride - Premier Padmini s1.

Vidhana Soudha

Attachment 367929

Attachment 367930

Attachment 367933

Karnataka High Court

Attachment 367931

Attachment 367932

Cubbon Park - Central Public Library - FCB's Birth Place!

Attachment 367934

Bengaluru-Garden City!

Attachment 367935

Attachment 367936

Attachment 367938
You car is in superb condition. Most of you FCB member's fiats heve those plastic hubcaps. How much do they cost? Though most of the padmini parts are available here in Assam I am unable to find them. It gives the car nice sporty look.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:14   #1886
Senior - BHPian

^^ If I remember correctly, set of 4 costed me somewhere between 300-400rs and should still be easily available.
Old 17th June 2010, 17:44   #1887
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Karthik - things are changing. I got one set recently from Nasik but at a relatively higher price. Grab it if you get it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 17th June 2010, 19:02   #1888
BHPian

Just an experience to share. Behram always inspires me.
This was in my ex-company, the CEO and myself were supposed to go for a meeting, a short trip (Raghuvanshi mills to Kamala Mills) for people who about central mumbai. My CEO came out of the office and realised that the driver had parked his car and gone for a snack. He was wondering. He certainly cant turn up for a meet in a cab.
I asked him if i could take my car. He replied " which car you've got ?" told him it was a PP S1. Now he knew what was a premier padmini but what was a S1. explained him somehow, and he said ok.
Went to the lot and got the car. He got into the car, and he was talking like Ive never heard him before. According to him it had been ages since he has taken a ride in a premier padmini commonly referred to as Fiat. Old stories of learning to drive and all poured out.
I offered to switch on the AC to which 'He said wont the dynamo have load and the car stall ?' He was referring to an earlier experience.I said it has an alternator.
He was happy and enjoyed for the ride. My client came down to leave us. He teased me saying "Papa ni Gaadi". To which I said "Yes, smoothly working since then".
To put in perspective, my company parking lot has cars of 13 group companies. But just my Fiat. Even though Ive left teh place, the security know me.
Old 17th June 2010, 21:08   #1889
Senior - BHPian

^^ Nice experience Kavesh! Indeed fantastic.

Coming to experiences at the office, I work in the IT industry. The corridor of entrance is common for 3 offices. All are very well known top paying type of companies. Personally, one may feel getting even a Maruti 800 is offensive. I started taking my old cars one by one (My 91 NE, 73 President, 96 PP S1, 90 PP, 92 118NE), people were baffled. I still remember the first few days where every single person including the security guards used to stare at me and couple of times even they asked me to show my ID (even though ours is a small company and not a common practice to show ID). Later as few days went by, they started loving and appreciate my cars. Many people have chided me saying even the CEO doesnt have more than 2 cars and I have a ever growing list of cars.

My 91 NE is known by everyone as "Earth Quake" and everyone love the music system installed in it (double subwoofers and 2 aplifiers). Everyone used to fight for a seat in my car whenever we went for team outings. When it comes to S1, no one has had the opportunity to sit in it. I am very possessive about it and let people in by 'choice'. Many are jealous of my S1.

Another funny thing is, our parking lot is at the basement. Its a steep climb out. I have to really really revv hard before starting to climb. After 4-5 meters of my parking space, I have to turn hard left to start the climb. When I take this hard left with quite a decent rev, the front right wheel screeches and makes a very nice sound audible to the entire vicinity. People go helter skelter when they hear this. I just love it when this happens as every one at this point knows Karthik is now going home

Last edited by funkykar : 17th June 2010 at 21:11.
Old 17th June 2010, 21:29   #1890
BHPian

I agree with Kavesh55

Yes, what Kavesh has said is 100% true. In 2004 when I was working as Asst. Prof. In COEngg, Ahmednagar all the staff cars were Maruti-800,van, esteem and Indica. We had only 01 Palio, 01 Uno and 01 Padmini( Of course mine).Still security chap asks me " Kya saab aapki blue padmini kaisi hai ?"
Once we decided to attend one of our collegue's marriage at Mumbai. We were having only 03 cars in our dept. Those who are having Maruti-800 and Indica could not attend marriage becoz of some reason. Now only my car was left with total 06 members. Everybody said No, we'l not go in Padmini but we'l hire sumo/qualis. But i was firm that if you are not confident on my car/my driving then I'l not come with you, I'l go by bus. Finally everybody agreed.

We started early morning 04:00 am. With load of 06 persons and 03 small bags in dicky car was maintaining 80-90. We stopped at 05:15 for 10mins, had tea and reached pune (120 kms 4m nagar) by 06:15. Then we started from pune and car was maintaining 90-100 n reach lonawala by 08:15. We took halt of 15 mins and reached Mumbai by 10:00 am. Every body was stunned to see marriage hall where sharp 11:10 marriage was solemanized.

Its rellay nice to drive pure petrol Padmini with full load. The road stability, effect of suspension, the drag firing note from exhaust and zeal to shift hand gear from 3rd to 4th at the speed of 50-60 and then pressing acclrator to raech upto 90-100. Wow I just can'tforget many many drives like this.
To conclude i'l say,
" Shaan se jiye hai wo log , jinka ek hath window pe rest karte hue aur dusare hath se steering pakde hue, jinhone hazaro km Padmini ko chalane ka aanand liya hai!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks