Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 06:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
No, this is not the wreck of the Titanic, it's the rear side of the underbody. The chassis outriggers (rails that hold up the rear body tub, left and right) are both intact- just!
I'm now considering having the chassis sandblasted once stripped.

Attachment 268384

Attachment 268385

Stay tuned for more...!
Shyam Garu,

I believe first the body floor pan work would be carried out and then only the chassis removed for further work. The mechanics here say this way the alingment does not goes out.
Old 19th January 2010, 07:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Shyam Garu,

I believe first the body floor pan work would be carried out and then only the chassis removed for further work. The mechanics here say this way the alingment does not goes out.
Manish, can you explain the alignment funda of ours..
Old 19th January 2010, 09:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Manish, can you explain the alignment funda of ours..
Oh I got to know it from your mechanic and it seems logical. Well if you dismantle the chassis and the running gear for doing up the body, the mounting points may get disturbed and this giving wrong alingment for the chassis components as well as body (all shut lines).
Old 19th January 2010, 18:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh I got to know it from your mechanic and it seems logical. Well if you dismantle the chassis and the running gear for doing up the body, the mounting points may get disturbed and this giving wrong alingment for the chassis components as well as body (all shut lines).

Sorry to say he is wrong on this.The mounting points are not flexible so how can they be out if you remove them and put them back?Think about it.

People don't sperate the body from the chassis so that it is easier to work on it nothing with and alignment.If you have a body mounting frame then you can do the body and chassis work simultaniously.
Old 19th January 2010, 18:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Sorry to say he is wrong on this.The mounting points are not flexible so how can they be out if you remove them and put them back?
This was exactly what I was wondering.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

hello Stanher restoration job is on a full swing it seems and with the level of work it i am eagerly waiting to see how will it come out as a final product.
BTW what is the thing which is circled in the pic. Is it emblem stating HERALD? If yes then secure it before any further damage. These little bits help a restored car gain a WOW factor and is appraised for its originality.
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4461.jpg  

Old 19th January 2010, 22:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
BTW what is the thing which is circled in the pic. Is it emblem stating HERALD?
Circled emblem is shown in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-dsc09698.jpg  

Old 19th January 2010, 22:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Going good Shyam..
The rust around the windscreen looks soooo scary ! Your denter will have to make real neat patches to take care of this.
Are you getting the chrome work done elsewhere, or does the same garage handle it all ?
Old 19th January 2010, 22:23   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
BTW what is the thing which is circled in the pic. Is it emblem stating HERALD? If yes then secure it before any further damage. These little bits help a restored car gain a WOW factor and is appraised for its originality.
Hi sam, as arun said, it indeed says "herald". They both (left and right side of roof) have been removed and I've kept them safely at home with the bonnet badge. 'will be taking the grille emblem next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Going good Shyam..
The rust around the windscreen looks soooo scary ! Your denter will have to make real neat patches to take care of this.
Are you getting the chrome work done elsewhere, or does the same garage handle it all ?
Thanks ravi! Yeah, the rust sure is scary! Seems familiar to you, no??
But if thou couldst do it, so could I!
Chrome work is to be handled later. I don't intend to get it done anywhere in Hyd.!

Quote:
Well if you dismantle the chassis and the running gear for doing up the body, the mounting points may get disturbed and this giving wrong alingment for the chassis components as well as body (all shut lines).
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Sorry to say he is wrong on this.The mounting points are not flexible so how can they be out if you remove them and put them back?Think about it.
People don't sperate the body from the chassis so that it is easier to work on it nothing with alignment.If you have a body mounting frame then you can do the body and chassis work simultaniously.
Thanks manish. But I'll have to take Indrojit's side here I'm afraid!
As he says, the mounting points in the bodyshell are not flexible, so no risk of losing the alignment. But yes, one has to know where exactly the holes come at the different points in the bodyshell, if you are replacing sections of the flooring. This is the main reason why many tinkers dissuade you from doing this, as they have the fear of not getting it correct!
Luckily, these guys being old-timers, are relatively more knowledgeable.

Anyways, update as of today- the scraping continues, mostly on the inside now, with the right door for today...also note what looks like the original colour of the car on the inside of the B-pillar- a relatively pure, milky white, known as "Sebring White"
Not as many pics. today though, since I didnt get to hang around too long there; I got myself into a little accident, having hit my head on the sharp edge of the Vauxhall Wyvern's bootlid while it was opened for a while! And got a nasty gash on the scalp, having me to leave to the nearest doctor at once! But luckily it isn't too big/deep, so doesn't require stitches etc. just ointment and a bandage to cover the wound. So that's good news!

'should be allright by this weekend, no worries.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4579.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4580.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4585.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4586.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 19th January 2010 at 22:36.
Old 19th January 2010, 22:49   #55
BHPian

What about the cosmetic parts? What have you decided about those?
Old 19th January 2010, 22:54   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
What about the cosmetic parts? What have you decided about those?
It has about 60% of those intact- what's missing are mainly the side-trims a.k.a pattis (a few that were on the car are non-original, in aluminium), bonnet centre trim, original bootlid handle, headlamp covers and new tail-light covers.
The pattis are not available anywhere locally and AFAIK, in other cities either! Too difficult to remake/fabricate locally too. So importing would be the only choice.

Last edited by Stanher : 19th January 2010 at 22:57.
Old 19th January 2010, 23:03   #57
BHPian

How about using Premier Padmini's head lamp covers? I believe those will be the best alternatives.
Old 19th January 2010, 23:25   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
How about using Premier Padmini's head lamp covers? I believe those will be the best alternatives.
You can't be serious! No way! They are not at all suitable, not even 1% a close fit!!

For your understanding, here are pics. of the Herald headlamp covers, see the "zameen asmaan ka" difference from the padmini headlamp covers!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-hlampcowl.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-hlampcowl02.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 19th January 2010 at 23:29.
Old 20th January 2010, 01:17   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks manish. But I'll have to take Indrojit's side here I'm afraid!
As he says, the mounting points in the bodyshell are not flexible, so no risk of losing the alignment.
Hi manish and Shyam

Well there is nothing about taking sides in this.I saw a post and didn't agree with it so thought that updating with the correct info would be good and benificial for one and all.Hope no ofence taken.

Quote:

I got myself into a little accident, having hit my head on the sharp edge of the Vauxhall Wyvern's bootlid while it was opened for a while! And got a nasty gash on the scalp, having me to leave to the nearest doctor at once! But luckily it isn't too big/deep, so doesn't require stitches etc. just ointment and a bandage to cover the wound. So that's good news!

You gotta be careful while being in a garage.It doesn't show good signs of you getting injured every now and then.
Get Well soon.

Have sent you a PM regarding the Trims.Please do not disclose it here.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 20th January 2010 at 01:32.
Old 20th January 2010, 01:30   #60
BANNED

All the best Stanher, thats some serious resto work going on.
The roof pillars are so thin in this car, offers great visibility angles from inside

Most Viewed