Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2010, 08:42   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow, the body's looking like such a clean sheet, you'd almost think it was new. Amazing stuff, this caustic soda
Btw, any reason for selecting Red oxide primer instead of Zinc primer, which seems more in favour nowadays ?
Do I see an interesting 'Companion' in one of the pics ?
Thanks ravi! Well, I did suggest zinc oxide primer, but the guys somehow are more in favour of red oxide, saying that the paint holds on better to it or something....!
Yes, that's my companion there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
I like the car with the paint ripped off )
How the work going stanher?
Thanks! Work's going as you see in the pics.
Old 30th January 2010, 11:31   #77
Senior - BHPian

The picture above of the car and the circled area is that a peice jointed in the past or just a welding. I am sure this will get tinkered but I wonder what could have damaged her any idea Shyam.

Sorry couldnt upload the picture but I will try to define it in words. Its just above the front bumper and close to the front wheel there is a trace of welding you can find it in the picture where there is a guy standing and the car facing headlamp facing towards you.

Last edited by v12 : 30th January 2010 at 12:03.
Old 31st January 2010, 00:00   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
The picture above of the car and the circled area is that a peice jointed in the past or just a welding.
Its just above the front bumper and close to the front wheel there is a trace of welding you can find it in the picture where there is a guy standing and the car facing headlamp facing towards you.
I think I got what you mean- that is definitely a "patchwork" welding done earlier. 'would've been done as the corner of the front wing/wheelarch would've got rusted. May need redoing as there are signs of rust showing up again close to that spot.

Anyways, continuing with today's update- body has been primered in red oxide and the doors, bonnet and bumpers have been taken off. The dashboard still hasn't however!
I repeated my instruction to them on taking it off as well. Next I guess would be the bootlid, then the whole body would be off the chassis. Boy that should be exciting (IMHO!)

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4841.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4842.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4844.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4845.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4846.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4847.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4848.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4849.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4851.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4852.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4853.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4855.jpg
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:07   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, back with updates:

After quite an effort to remove the various bolts holding the body to the chassis, the body has finally been taken off, as can be seen. The frames to hold the front seats in place had been taken off first.

Most of the bolts had been seized solid with rust and had to be heated and in some cases, cut off.

Chassis too happens to be quite rust-eaten in some critical places, but very much restorable. I was told that some sections like the rear outriggers (the 2 rails sticking outward at the rear) would need replacing.

Now with the body off, the mech. needs to come over and strip the chassis of all the running gear so the chassis can be worked on. I'm considering having it sandblasted, provided jai is ok with it, once I find out the costs for the same.

Enjoy!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4862.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4863.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4864.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4867.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4869.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4870.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4871.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4872.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4873.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4874.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4875.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4876.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4877.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4882.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4883.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4884.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4886.jpg
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:14   #80
BHPian

Nice! Good to see the work going on in good speed, When is the engine gonna be worked on?
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:19   #81
Senior - BHPian

Hey that's some serious rust and its end result. The holes and cracks in the chassis present, indicated serious problem to the owner if not worked upon but its good that the chassis is removed from the body for a complete job. BTW how will the repair of damage be carried out. Will it be welded or patched. Just curious to know.
Old 2nd February 2010, 20:47   #82
BHPian

Great going,all the best.

hi shyam,
Great work man, i appreciate your effors for restoring this beauty.well hope to see her in showroom condition soon.
just want to know if you have this info about one of my friend who owned a herald in white colour his name was vicky, he was staying behind manhor theater nr passport office....?
he too has restored it in original form.no news of him since i came to saudi i hope he still has it,
seeing your passion i too am interested to have one or let say you have ignited my passion.
planning to come in next month. hope to meet you.

regds
Old 2nd February 2010, 21:19   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Nice! Good to see the work going on in good speed, When is the engine gonna be worked on?
Whenever the mechanic is ready and also the Vit. M!
As for "worked upon", as of now there is nothing wrong with the engine. Gearbox would need to be though, as per the mech's analysis when the car was running the last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
The holes and cracks in the chassis present, indicated serious problem to the owner if not worked upon but its good that the chassis is removed from the body for a complete job. how will the repair of damage be carried out. Will it be welded or patched. Just curious to know.
Depending on the extent of the rust. The badly rusted (and thus potentially dangerous as they hold up the body) sections are usually cut off and new metal sections welded on, if not too bad then patched up.
And yes, I very much agree with you- one can know about the extent of rust on the chassis only after separating the body. Which is why I personally feel it's always better to do it on these cars, unless you know how well it has been taken care of. Some people, even now, tend to avoid it because the person working on it happens to be inexperienced with chassis restoration or because it'd cost more.

Last edited by Stanher : 2nd February 2010 at 21:31.
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:42   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
OK, back with updates:

After quite an effort to remove the various bolts holding the body to the chassis, the body has finally been taken off, as can be seen. The frames to hold the front seats in place had been taken off first.

Most of the bolts had been seized solid with rust and had to be heated and in some cases, cut off.
At last the body is off finally.Now i would give you one suggestion and that is don't throw the old nuts and bolts and replace them with new ones of the same size instead of putting something else.I know they might be difficult to look and time consuming as well as the cost factor but i would think since you have pulled it off do it the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Chassis too happens to be quite rust-eaten in some critical places, but very much restorable. I was told that some sections like the rear outriggers (the 2 rails sticking outward at the rear) would need replacing.

Now with the body off, the mech. needs to come over and strip the chassis of all the running gear so the chassis can be worked on. I'm considering having it sandblasted, provided jai is ok with it, once I find out the costs for the same.
Sandblasting is again not required its just an added expense.Get it scraped down to bare metal and then get it painted with the chassis paint available in the market.

Apart from this I had 2 more suggestions to make-

1). The dash board and the meters should be taken off and kept away safely.
2).The body should be put on stands(jugan) instead of being rested on a tire.
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:57   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
At last the body is off finally.Now i would give you one suggestion and that is don't throw the old nuts and bolts and replace them with new ones of the same size instead of putting something else.I know they might be difficult to look and time consuming as well as the cost factor but i would think since you have pulled it off do it the right way.
Yes, of course all bolts have to be of the same size. I will nevertheless ask the garage guys to save the original ones as you suggest.

Quote:
Sandblasting is again not required its just an added expense.Get it scraped down to bare metal and then get it painted with the chassis paint available in the market.
Are you sure it wont serve any purpose here? Of course it isnt mandatory. Anyways, will leave it to jai to decide.

Quote:
Apart from this I had 2 more suggestions to make-
1). The dash board and the meters should be taken off and kept away safely.
2).The body should be put on stands(jugan) instead of being rested on a tire.
Thanks!
1) Yes, did remind them again...he said it will be done once they are finished with the chassis.
2) I dont think it's even resting on a tyre. But will ask them to use the stands. Ironically I have 2 stands of my own over there itself, but they are being used to hold up the Vauxhall there!
Old 5th February 2010, 21:20   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Updates updates!! And this time, I hope none who view this post are using a dial-up; the pics. speak more than the words here!

Well, today turned out to be quite eventful! Continuing from my last post where I'd mentioned that my mech. would be coming down to dismantle the chassis, which would be then bare and ready to be worked on.

So today he could take time out until afternoon, which time we spent at the garage raiding the chassis.

To begin with, first the rear suspension was removed. And in case of Heralds, it's a 2-part one, with either halfshaft/axle removed separately.

So after the chassis was jacked up at the rear, all the bolts retaining the rear suspension were WD-40'd one by one and first came the removal of the left rear axle....

With this out, next to come off was the transverse-mounted rear spring (kamaan katta as called here), the central mounting bolts of which were caked with ages of mud and muck! If it were not for the good ol' WD-40, those bolts you see retaining the spring in the middle would've probably had to be chiseled off, they were so badly jammed!

With the spring off, next came the rear axle on the right....

Next to follow was the diff. The mounting bolts (below the chassis) on this too were jammed tight, requiring liberal dose of WD-40.

With this out, the major work was over. Now to follow were the fuel and brake lines.

Next to come off was the rear half of the silencer. The end/tail-pipe came off easily from the clamp/bracket retaining it, being so corroded!

This much was done for today. Next to proceed with the gearbox, engine, steering and front suspension etc.

Oh, and the last pic. is just something meant for the lighter side!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4927.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4929.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4931.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4932.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4934.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4935.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4936.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4937.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4938.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4942.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4945.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4948.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4947.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4951.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4952.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4953.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4955.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4957.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4956.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4958.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-funny.jpg
Old 5th February 2010, 21:31   #87
Senior - BHPian

Very informative thread Shyamgaru.

Unlike other resto threads, this thread is like a detailed guide for amateur car restorers like me.

It will be even more interesting to see how your garage men will fix all the repairs and the rust fixing work.
Old 5th February 2010, 22:02   #88
Senior - BHPian

Great Work going on is what I can say.

A few questions i wanted to ask you and that is -

1).What is the condition of the Shock Absorbers and are you planning to replace them?

2).Are you changing all the suspension bushes and all the engine mountings as well as the body mountings?

3).Are the wheel cylinders and master cylinder being changed?

I hope you don't mind me asking you these questions?
Old 5th February 2010, 22:13   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Very informative thread Shyamgaru.

Unlike other resto threads, this thread is like a detailed guide for amateur car restorers like me.
It will be even more interesting to see how your garage men will fix all the repairs and the rust fixing work.
Thanks arun garu! However, IMHO all restoration threads are good in their own way. But yes, this restoration being a comprehensive one, I feel like giving a relatively meticulous write-up like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Great Work going on is what I can say.

A few questions i wanted to ask you and that is -

1).What is the condition of the Shock Absorbers and are you planning to replace them?

2).Are you changing all the suspension bushes and all the engine mountings as well as the body mountings?

3).Are the wheel cylinders and master cylinder being changed?

I hope you don't mind me asking you these questions?
Thanks Indrojit! Phew! Glad that the expert found the work up to the mark (just kidding!! )

I dont mind you asking at all. Just as you wouldnt mind me asking you advice now and then!

1) Shocks- the right rear one has gone, as my mech. pointed out. Hydraulic action totally lost. So needs to be replaced. I do have 2 pairs (front and rear) of Herald shocks, if they are found to be good, will fit one of them. The left one seems ok. Front ones yet to be opened up.

2) Yes, of course!

3) You mean the cylinder KITS or the whole cylinders themselves? One of the master cyls. (brake one I think) had been replaced, the original one having been taken out and misplaced by the garage where the car previously lay until I bought it (and later sold to jai.)
My mech. has fitted a new kit for the clutch one, the slave cylinder would need a new kit I guess.
Old 5th February 2010, 22:14   #90
BHPian

HAHAHA! The last pic is hilarious.

Most Viewed