Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 17:17   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
That was quick!!

Chasis sure looks worned out. A better condition replacment would be a good idea I believe. But then, wont that create an issue as the Chasis number will be changed? The RC book wont reflect the correct details in that case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Shyam.

Did you notice the chassis actually looks like a giant pair of sissors or tongues used by body workers to clamp metal ?

The chassis looks like its in a very poor shape, why don't you look around and get a replacment, shouldn't be a major problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Agreed, it would be much easier and more convenient to replace the chassis with a good one, but locating one really isn't as simple as you think. The cars themselves are few and far between, and good cars (which would have good chassis) wont be available for scrapping. If at all you do find one, chances are it won't be much better than the current one.

In the case of my Fiat, for example, it is a different ball game, they are easily available even in good shape. Regarding the number, I don't think there is a stamp on the frame itself, but I could be mistaken.
Thanks!

Wasif: giant pair of scissors??! Hmmm...now that's creative! Imagination rules the world, doesn't it?!

Anyways guys, yes, I definitely agree that replacing the chassis would be a comparitively practical option, which I would've certainly gone for, IF this had been atleast 10 years ago! As karl says, Heralds are hardly available even for scrapping nowadays, not just in Hyd. but even in neighbouring cities (Madras, B'lore) if you're willing to look that far. Gone are the days when you could get any Herald part you wanted with just one trip to good ol' Afzulgunj, wher chances were that you could come back with a whole car (if worthy enough) itself!
I cant but envy my mech. who tells me stories of the time (around early-mid 90s) when he and his "ustad" would go down to get spares from that place, and quite a few times were when they'd bought a replacement chassis for their customer's Herald. It seems once they even swapped a whole bodyshell with that of a red Herald that was sadly too good to be scrapped, as were many such cars that were broken then! Pity I was too young to go for such cars then, my major concerns in life then being to pass the next Maths test/exam! :sigh

Manish- fabricating a whole new chassis may be possible but difficult, even though the garage guys are old hand at Heralds. And may prove all the more expensive too.

Last edited by Stanher : 17th February 2010 at 17:19.
Old 19th February 2010, 09:54   #107
BHPian

Hi Stanher,

So would that mean you will go ahead with patch work on chasis or you have a better idea with that? Looking at the condition of chasis, I sincerly doubt if it will be able to take the patch work.

Intrested to know how we are going to get around this!
Old 19th February 2010, 23:27   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So would that mean you will go ahead with patch work on chasis or you have a better idea with that? Looking at the condition of chasis, I sincerly doubt if it will be able to take the patch work.
Intrested to know how we are going to get around this!
Well of course it'd be patchwork only, as we have no other option! What the guys intend to do is to weld on a "|_|" shape metal onto the rusted sections an thus close up the holes. Cutting out the bad sections is not recommended as it'll ruin the entire chassis for good they say.

Work is yet to commence though. Maybe from tomorrow onwards.
Old 20th February 2010, 07:18   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thanks!

Wasif: giant pair of scissors??! Hmmm...now that's creative! Imagination rules the world, doesn't it?!

Anyways guys, yes, I definitely agree that replacing the chassis would be a comparitively practical option, which I would've certainly gone for, IF this had been atleast 10 years ago! As karl says, Heralds are hardly available even for scrapping nowadays, not just in Hyd. but even in neighbouring cities (Madras, B'lore) if you're willing to look that far. Gone are the days when you could get any Herald part you wanted with just one trip to good ol' Afzulgunj, wher chances were that you could come back with a whole car (if worthy enough) itself!
I cant but envy my mech. who tells me stories of the time (around early-mid 90s) when he and his "ustad" would go down to get spares from that place, and quite a few times were when they'd bought a replacement chassis for their customer's Herald. It seems once they even swapped a whole bodyshell with that of a red Herald that was sadly too good to be scrapped, as were many such cars that were broken then! Pity I was too young to go for such cars then, my major concerns in life then being to pass the next Maths test/exam! :sigh

Manish- fabricating a whole new chassis may be possible but difficult, even though the garage guys are old hand at Heralds. And may prove all the more expensive too.
Why dont you think of cloning the chassis? you can get it fabricated from any nice workshop. The key mountings, like suspension, engine, ect can be used from existing chassis or refabricated. You have a chassis, which was on your stanher. Only thing you need to ensure is that the fabricator should do it perfectly to the dimensions. You can opt fot using readily available rolled sections. They are available in vast dimensions. I think for main chassis, you can opt for 80x40,3 thk or 100x50, 3 thk rectangular pipe. This will take time, but will be for long.
Old 20th February 2010, 20:00   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarulkar View Post
Why dont you think of cloning the chassis? you can get it fabricated from any nice workshop. The key mountings, like suspension, engine, ect can be used from existing chassis or refabricated. You have a chassis, which was on your stanher. Only thing you need to ensure is that the fabricator should do it perfectly to the dimensions. You can opt fot using readily available rolled sections.
I did consult the garage guys about it, but they say that even they cannot do it to the exact specification! I would say that it indeed seems to be a tricky task, as you say, the fabricator should do it perfectly to the dimensions.

And so far am not aware of one who did, atleast not in hyd. Also considering the procedure for ensuring the same, I suspect it would not be economically viable.
Old 20th February 2010, 21:35   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I did consult the garage guys about it, but they say that even they cannot do it to the exact specification! I would say that it indeed seems to be a tricky task, as you say, the fabricator should do it perfectly to the dimensions.

And so far am not aware of one who did, atleast not in hyd. Also considering the procedure for ensuring the same, I suspect it would not be economically viable.
Raw material + fabrication will cost you near to Rs.100/- per kg. Just check the weight of the stanher chassis. add 50%, that will be ur approx weight of fabrication. I expect it to be near to 175 kg.
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:47   #112
BHPian

I dont think fabricating a new one will be a very good thing to do. A slight miss in the dimensions and the entire thing is gone. Better to get old one fabricated at the places where it needs the most.

Just my two cents...
Old 24th February 2010, 15:24   #113
Senior - BHPian

Shyam bhai whats the update on this project.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:20   #114
BHPian

Hi Shyam!

Waiting for updates!

I know you wont let us down! Aperantly this happens to be my 50th post on Tem-BHP!!!
Old 27th February 2010, 09:57   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think fabricating a new one will be a very good thing to do. A slight miss in the dimensions and the entire thing is gone. Better to get old one fabricated at the places where it needs the most.

Just my two cents...
Which is why I too didn't favour the idea of fabrication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Shyam bhai whats the update on this project.
Quote:
Hi Shyam!

Waiting for updates!

I know you wont let us down! Aperantly this happens to be my 50th post on Tem-BHP!!!
Sorry sorry guys! 'had been about to post twice here, but blame it on the net connec. at home!!

OK, here they are:

New 18 guage sheet metal sheet has been bought and being made into "tubes" for the outriggers and rails already.

I insist they coat the insides with zinc or even RO primer first before welding them up, as the insides, if left unpainted always, would again attract rust at a later stage.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5163.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5193.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5194.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5208.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5209.jpg

Further later, as work progresses- I promise!!
Old 27th February 2010, 22:15   #116
Senior - BHPian

Good to see that work is on. It seems the work is being carried out by an experienced Chachaa. Are they making chassis pipes ?
Old 27th February 2010, 22:36   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Good to see that work is on. It seems the work is being carried out by an experienced Chachaa. Are they making chassis pipes ?
These are the tubes/rails for the chassis...going by the shape, the outermost rails at the rear (called outriggers)
Old 1st March 2010, 11:06   #118
BHPian

Hi Shyam!

Good to see the progress on the chasis! 18 Gauge sheet metal would mean how thick in MM? I believe it must be 2 mm, right?

Oxidizing the sheet metal would be good, as rust always tends to creep in place where we can't see it!

Well, waiting to see more action!

Wish you an everyone on Team-BHP a very Happy, Fun Filled and colorful Holi!
Old 5th March 2010, 09:00   #119
BHPian

Hi Shyam!

No updates since a long time? Are you occupied with something more important?

Every day I check the thread and looking at no updates make feel disappointed. :(
Old 5th March 2010, 09:48   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shyam!

No updates since a long time? Are you occupied with something more important?

Every day I check the thread and looking at no updates make feel disappointed. :(
Sorry, I know how you feel. But no updates (yet) because no work's going on at present! The guys were busy finishing an SS80 that was also being done up by them. Car's finally sent off, so should be full steam ahead for my project now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks