Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2010, 09:57   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Hi manish and Shyam

Well there is nothing about taking sides in this.I saw a post and didn't agree with it so thought that updating with the correct info would be good and benificial for one and all.Hope no ofence taken.
I was just saying that in a lighter vein when I mentioned taking sides!

I too meant no offence.

Quote:
You gotta be careful while being in a garage.It doesn't show good signs of you getting injured every now and then.Get Well soon.
Will be, sir! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
All the best Stanher, thats some serious resto work going on. The roof pillars are so thin in this car, offers great visibility angles from inside
Thanks, Sujith.

Yes, you're right about the visibility factor. No wonder the local sales brochures had described it as "control tower visibility"!
Old 20th January 2010, 11:52   #62
Senior - BHPian

Well I agree to disagree with Indrojit, if you are doing work on the structural members of the body, to have the alignment correct for the doors and chassis either you should have a Body repair bench or leave the chassic components on.

Also most of the body workers weld a temperory metal bar of size between the body panels to avoid buckling when working on structural memebers.
Old 20th January 2010, 23:33   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Well I agree to disagree with Indrojit, if you are doing work on the structural members of the body, to have the alignment correct for the doors and chassis either you should have a Body repair bench or leave the chassic components on.

Also most of the body workers weld a temperory metal bar of size between the body panels to avoid buckling when working on structural memebers.
Manish, it's like this: if for eg. in this herald itself if you noticed, the flooring has rusted at the rear just where it is bolted on to the rear chassis outriggers. So replacing these 2 patches would be impossible without taking the bodytub off the chassis. So, it is justified to do the patchwork after getting the body off, atleast in a herald.
Old 21st January 2010, 11:00   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Manish, it's like this: if for eg. in this herald itself if you noticed, the flooring has rusted at the rear just where it is bolted on to the rear chassis outriggers. So replacing these 2 patches would be impossible without taking the bodytub off the chassis. So, it is justified to do the patchwork after getting the body off, atleast in a herald.
Oh in that case you are right. Other areas I believe there is no much to work upon.
Old 21st January 2010, 11:31   #65
BHPian

@stanher - have you managed to source the front windscreen rubber beading? you were planning to import it right?

If not , there is a cheaper alternative that i have used. the beading from a tata 407 ( i think) can be used. looks fine .
Old 22nd January 2010, 00:33   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
@stanher - have you managed to source the front windscreen rubber beading? you were planning to import it right?

If not , there is a cheaper alternative that i have used. the beading from a tata 407 ( i think) can be used. looks fine .
Hi siddartha,
I do have a front and rear windscreen beading set sourced from the UK. If jai wants it, I would let him have it.

If not, I would consider alternatives like what you have used. I was also once suggested using Maruti van beadings, as the profile is somwwhat similar and it being the longest, could be used for other vehicles as well.

Do you have any pics. of the 407 beadings on your Herald to share?
Old 22nd January 2010, 13:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Sir it depends.If you are repairing a place where the body mounts on the chassis or the doors mount then you usually seperate them and then cut out corroded sections and replace them by fabricating new ones or with a ready made one.However , there are many body workers who are not very perfect in their job so those are the people who try and do these kind of processes.It is a completely subjective matter depending on car to car and person to person and their way of working and dealing with things.
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Sir it depends.If you are repairing a place where the body mounts on the chassis or the doors mount then you usually seperate them and then cut out corroded sections and replace them by fabricating new ones or with a ready made one.However , there are many body workers who are not very perfect in their job so those are the people who try and do these kind of processes.It is a completely subjective matter depending on car to car and person to person and their way of working and dealing with things.
I said in my last post that in this case you guys are right. And what I said was in general, if it applies to some restor work great. .
Old 27th January 2010, 11:58   #69
BHPian

Hi Stanher,

Have been watching this thread for a few days now. Was expecting some update today!

I was in Hyd for last whole week and wanted to have a look at the car; unfortunately could not :(

Maybe once the car is ready and all set, I will try and visit Hyd again. BTW, where exactly is the car being restored?? I know of a few areas in Hyd like the paradise, Ameerpeth, Sec'bad, kukatpally. Is it close to any one these places??
Old 27th January 2010, 17:02   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Hi Stanher,

Have been watching this thread for a few days now. Was expecting some update today!

I was in Hyd for last whole week and wanted to have a look at the car; unfortunately could not :(
BTW, where exactly is the car being restored?? I know of a few areas in Hyd like the paradise, Ameerpeth, Sec'bad, kukatpally. Is it close to any one these places??
Hi,
Thanks for your comments. 'glad a stanher could attract the attention of even one obsessed by Fiat!

The place is in Secunderabad, close to Paradise (around 2km)

OK, here are updates- sorry for the delay, but I was a bit busy with other things the last few days and also wasn't feeling well last weekend due to the accident I had. Then my net conked out even though I've got pics.

So here they are now....body has been coated with caustic soda and left for a while. That has removed all traces of the underlying primer, leaving the metal clean and the body was being rinsed off with water today. So it will next be ready to be primered and tinkered.

I have also suggested to the garage people to try using some phosphoric acid, a free sample bottle (1/2 ltr) of which I had got some time ago. I understand from the restoration of Saurabh (SA7VA5)'s Lambretta that this gives an anti-rust like coating all over the metal without harming it. I asked them to try it first on a small area of the metal though, and proceed with the rest of the body only if it is found to be harmless by all means on trial.
I have requested for the removal of the dashboard etc. which they said would be done after the body has been washed fully and just before being primered.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4626.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4627.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4628.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4806.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4807.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4808.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4809.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4810.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4811.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 27th January 2010 at 17:04.
Old 28th January 2010, 07:57   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hi,
Thanks for your comments. 'glad a stanher could attract the attention of even one obsessed by Fiat!

The place is in Secunderabad, close to Paradise (around 2km)
Hi!

Thank you for your reply! Looking at your passion for the car, even I got involved and intrested in knowing what happens next! Moreover, it is a wonderful learning experience and the deligence with which you are updating the thread is commendable!

Waiting for more from you on the restoration progress!
Old 29th January 2010, 22:23   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: Nothing too progressive as yet, just a few pics. to show what the car looks like post the caustic soda bath.

Incidentally, they did try the phosphoric acid sample I gave them, but unfortunately found that on getting into contact with moisture, it ends up leaving traces of rust all over the surface...! :oops: Which made them have to do a repeat job of the caustic soda washing to bring the body back to the normal state, and thus a little delay. They said the body will be getting the R.oxide primer coat by tomorrow. More updates to be posted thereafter.
Note: As the doors are both going to be re-skinned along the bottom, they didn't bother scraping off the paint down there!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4814.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4815.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4816.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 29th January 2010 at 22:25.
Old 29th January 2010, 23:19   #73
Senior - BHPian

Wow, the body's looking like such a clean sheet, you'd almost think it was new. Amazing stuff, this caustic soda
Btw, any reason for selecting Red oxide primer instead of Zinc primer, which seems more in favour nowadays ?
Do I see an interesting 'Companion' in one of the pics ?
Old 29th January 2010, 23:20   #74
Senior - BHPian

This is one car that would look awesome in a aluminum finish, really nice wash down
Old 30th January 2010, 07:48   #75
BHPian

I like the car with the paint ripped off )
How the work going stanher?

Most Viewed