Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 21:20   #76
Senior - BHPian

Eagerly looking forward to this thread. Hope after the commencement, the work will complete this time. BTW Pavan ji is it an Air cooled or water cooled car ?

Last edited by samsag12 : 14th September 2010 at 21:21.
Old 14th September 2010, 21:57   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Eagerly looking forward to this thread. Hope after the commencement, the work will complete this time. BTW Pavan ji is it an Air cooled or water cooled car ?

All classic VW's are Aircooled

The only reason this project was on hold was due to spares, we lost a month searching each and every part.

Finally found them and now hopefully, by end of this month, i might be able to deliver the car.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2010, 20:23   #78
BANNED

After a looooong break, the work on the Fastback started with the Brake pedals

We have a huge task at hand, since none of the brake Master and Wheel cylinders are working

Need to get new brake and fuel pipes.

Too much to do..............! inspite of all the odds, the VW is always smiling
Attached Thumbnails
1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_0007.jpg  

Old 5th October 2010, 23:53   #79
BANNED

Engine mounted, and ready to fire.

Waiting only for exhaust manifold packing... Keep watching this space.
Attached Thumbnails
1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1204.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1244.jpg  

Old 7th November 2010, 21:22   #80
BANNED

I have returned after a month, Sorry guys.

Due to various reasons the restoration took a back seat, but is on full swing right now.

Presently the engine is started and is fine, we got few spares from the US, which were vital and hence the long delay.

How about some nice Daytona exhaust
Attached Thumbnails
1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1582.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1596.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1593.jpg  

Old 9th November 2010, 17:11   #81
BANNED

The brakes are almost getting done, while we are waiting for 2 wheel cylinders.

In the mean time we added a MEAN unit to the car

THE DAYTONA EXHAUST.

Costing us around 300 USD, this thing is going to make the car roar.

We have started the engine and cooled it with the regular silencer, little bit of engine work and the mechanicals related to the engine are DONE.

3 more days the electrician will be working on the car to complete his final connections.

The upholsterer has taken the seats, once the car owner decides on what material and shade to go, adds another week for the upholstery work.

I am now hurrying up to finish and deliver the car 2 weeks before Christmas, Hope i will be able to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1628.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1630.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1629.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1631.jpg  

Old 10th November 2010, 00:06   #82
BHPian

exhaust

That looks like one "MEAN" exhaust! did you have to custom order it for the flat four engine or are they easily available to order? did you order it online or was there someone in states who picked it up for you?
Old 10th November 2010, 19:10   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
That looks like one "MEAN" exhaust! did you have to custom order it for the flat four engine or are they easily available to order? did you order it online or was there someone in states who picked it up for you?

The DAYTONA EXHAUSTS are meant for Air-cooled VW's and are available at US Corvette Parts & Accessories / Air-Cooled Volkswagen Parts & Accessories from Mid America Motorworks, It fits a Beetle without any issues, but for the Fastback, we have to do a little bit of modification.

It was ordered online and imported. And they sound MEAN too

I am just waiting for the brakes to finish.
Old 10th November 2010, 20:08   #84
Senior - BHPian

Nice going Pavan....one thing though, that lip over the exhausts looks a bit wonky and in need of straightning up
Old 10th November 2010, 20:11   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

It was ordered online and imported. And they sound MEAN too

I am just waiting for the brakes to finish.
Do put up a video or something similar with the sound once the brakes are done.

how easy would it be to retro fit disc brakes and an A/C onto a beetle? can those also be got from these kind of suppliers?
kevinephraim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2010, 21:12   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Nice going Pavan....one thing though, that lip over the exhausts looks a bit wonky and in need of straightning up
Yes Wasif, Thats true.

Work is happening at a slow pace, due to non-availability of spares for the Fastback I had a plan to finish this car within 8 months, but i am already in the 11th month. Hopefully before the end of this month this car will be on Road and running..... Hopefully...!

That portion is supposed to flow down, but due to this exhaust, we had to pull it up by hands a bit to accommodate the muffler action.

We will give it a nice shape once we finish the complete mechanical work on the car.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:11   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Do put up a video or something similar with the sound once the brakes are done.

how easy would it be to retro fit disc brakes and an A/C onto a beetle? can those also be got from these kind of suppliers?
A/C on a Air-cooled VW is a strict NO - NO.

Will surely put the video once its done.

Presently having a tough time with spares, almost all the brake parts have arrived and fitted, but the master cylinder is out of stock, nor am i able to find a similar replacement one.

To add to my woes, the Intake manifold has packed up and giving me sleepless nights, Need to order the new manifold for this one now.
Old 15th November 2010, 23:03   #88
BHPian

Quote:
A/C on a Air-cooled VW is a strict NO - NO.
Didn't the beetles in the last few years- Mexican built- come with A/C's , MPFI engines and lil bit of modern gadgetry? I thought i had read that somewhere.

Quote:

Will surely put the video once its done.

Presently having a tough time with spares, almost all the brake parts have arrived and fitted, but the master cylinder is out of stock, nor am i able to find a similar replacement one.

To add to my woes, the Intake manifold has packed up and giving me sleepless nights, Need to order the new manifold for this one now.
Leaving aside the cost of the car (that's the buyer and sellers prerogative) would it be possible to put up a cost-wise break up of parts sourced, every once in a while on all restoration threads? It would help a lot of others who intend to start or are in the process of restoration, be able to budget the entire resto / impending resto.

In case the part has been sourced from another private party no costs should be mentioned as that would again be the buyer and sellers prerogative.

Only parts sourced from sites and business to be posted with complete doorstep to doorstep costs. (sometimes the parts themselves are cheaper than the bribes and duties paid to get them in your hands!)
Old 16th November 2010, 13:02   #89
BHPian

This has got to be the best restoration ive seen Pavan. It a close second only to ur VW Hippy wagon. love the colour, its just amazing. id love to swing by and take a look....
Old 16th November 2010, 14:06   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't the beetles in the last few years- Mexican built- come with A/C's , MPFI engines and lil bit of modern gadgetry? I thought i had read that somewhere.

Leaving aside the cost of the car (that's the buyer and sellers prerogative) would it be possible to put up a cost-wise break up of parts sourced, every once in a while on all restoration threads? It would help a lot of others who intend to start or are in the process of restoration, be able to budget the entire resto / impending resto.

In case the part has been sourced from another private party no costs should be mentioned as that would again be the buyer and sellers prerogative.

Only parts sourced from sites and business to be posted with complete doorstep to doorstep costs. (sometimes the parts themselves are cheaper than the bribes and duties paid to get them in your hands!)[/quote]

1.the prices of parts sourced from online shops are transparent as they are listed on the site itself.
2.prices of parts differ based on whether they are repro,genuine OEM, refurbished,used ,country of origin,etc'
3.The duty rates are clearly prescribed-if my info is correct.34.5 percent of the landed cost.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please use the quote option in a correct fashion. It's noted you quote with HTML tags not ending in proper quotes.

Last edited by navin : 17th November 2010 at 10:19.

Most Viewed