Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2010, 15:09   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
1.the prices of parts sourced from online shops are transparent as they are listed on the site itself.
2.prices of parts differ based on whether they are repro,genuine OEM, refurbished,used ,country of origin,etc'
3.The duty rates are clearly prescribed-if my info is correct.34.5 percent of the landed cost.
I agree.

However, There are MORE than just ONE or FEW sites / businesses selling repro, genuine OEM, refurbished, used etc and it would help all of us here on T-BHP to know how much went into procuring a certain part. Whatever it may be.
The official duty rate maybe what is stated above but in my and 3 of my friends personal experience in maharashtra and mumbai to be specific, that rate above is only the beginning of the costs to pay
1. to get your part
2. without damage
3. quickly
before you make at least 6 to 8 trips to the authorities.

The above is a personal case - I'm not generalising anything - others may have only paid the duty.

Also in Pune we have to pay for an extra B***SH** tax called octroi! finally ending up paying like the saying goes

"4 anna ka murgi ke liye 12 anne ka masala"

Finally, my suggestions were just to get the costs sorted out, again it is upto the restorer if s/he would like to disclose what he has paid for what he procured.

We all love to see and follow the threads, we enjoy and laud the effort put into restoring a car / bike, but nothing comes for free and so we should also appreciate the hard earned money that the restorer has spent into that lovely restoration.
Old 16th November 2010, 15:53   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
I agree.

However, There are MORE than just ONE or FEW sites / businesses selling repro, genuine OEM, refurbished, used etc and it would help all of us here on T-BHP to know how much went into procuring a certain part. Whatever it may be.
The official duty rate maybe what is stated above but in my and 3 of my friends personal experience in maharashtra and mumbai to be specific, that rate above is only the beginning of the costs to pay
1. to get your part
2. without damage
3. quickly
before you make at least 6 to 8 trips to the authorities.

The above is a personal case - I'm not generalising anything - others may have only paid the duty.

Also in Pune we have to pay for an extra B***SH** tax called octroi! finally ending up paying like the saying goes

"4 anna ka murgi ke liye 12 anne ka masala"

Finally, my suggestions were just to get the costs sorted out, again it is upto the restorer if s/he would like to disclose what he has paid for what he procured.

We all love to see and follow the threads, we enjoy and laud the effort put into restoring a car / bike, but nothing comes for free and so we should also appreciate the hard earned money that the restorer has spent into that lovely restoration.
Although your suggestion is good in intent,but in practice I doubt how many restoration guys will reveal the actual amounts spent .Some restorers are doing it with the intention of selling the restored vehicle at a huge margin, and in such cases they will have a natural tendency to INFLATE the acquisition cost of the spares.also with regard to vintage/classic spares which are acquired from old shops, scrap yards etc, the prices vary widely for the same item.
to quote an example,The 1955 Fiat Millicento tail lamp lenses (repro TORINO Marked) were available for Rs.500/- a pair 2-3 months back in Mumbai ,Pune,Delhi. Now the same thing is advertised by a guy at Rs.2000/- a pair in TeamBHP classifieds
Old 16th November 2010, 16:44   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Although your suggestion is good in intent,but in practice I doubt how many restoration guys will reveal the actual amounts spent .Some restorers are doing it with the intention of selling the restored vehicle at a huge margin, and in such cases they will have a natural tendency to INFLATE the acquisition cost of the spares.also with regard to vintage/classic spares which are acquired from old shops, scrap yards etc, the prices vary widely for the same item.
to quote an example,The 1955 Fiat Millicento tail lamp lenses (repro TORINO Marked) were available for Rs.500/- a pair 2-3 months back in Mumbai ,Pune,Delhi. Now the same thing is advertised by a guy at Rs.2000/- a pair in TeamBHP classifieds
As i said.. it was only a suggestion.. lets not digress from the great job being done by various restorers.

@ PAVAN KADAM - Looking forward to the finale of this VW fastback.
Old 17th November 2010, 01:16   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Those guys are called hard core Wheeler Dealers and restorers, who work for money.

While there are some who delay a work but at the end of it give out a Great restored car, here you end up paying huge amount over a period of time, but the joy of running the restored car will put other things in backburner.

While there are others who charge a Bomb, but the end result will be damp squib.

I cannot talk on their behalf, since thats not my marqee.

Quote:
As i said.. it was only a suggestion.. lets not digress from the great job being done by various restorers.

@ PAVAN KADAM - Looking forward to the finale of this VW fastback.

True kevin, Well i have no issues putting up the costs involving restorations, since all my restorations are discussed in open and with the end costs also, no inflation or deflation.

Let me tell you one thing, i did not want to be a restorer, i was happy with my 2 VW's (a 3rd one coming soon) but i saw many of my friends and relatives suffer getting their cars restored, either the time taken is tooo long, and also the costs involving the restoration. This was the main reason in me starting to own up restorations.

All i wanted to do was reduced the costs and time involving any car restoration. In the process i have lost a bit of money on few cars, even that is openly discussed on the forum since there is nothing a person like me would like to hide, i have no monetary gains, but the joy of putting an automobile running on the road is the biggest high for me.

RESTORATION COSTS for METAL WORK

1) Floor boards - 16300/-
2) Welding, metal replacements - Rs 9000/-
3) Tinkering and tapping - Rs 11000/-
Old 29th November 2010, 18:53   #95
BANNED

Well , this project is not going the way i wanted it to be.

The inflow of funds are really slow and low.

None of the guys (Mechanics / Electricians or the Upholstery guys) are too happy to work under stringent funds inflow. In these times, its extremely difficult to get an old car restored by a team, i make sure i pay atleast 10% -15% more than the estimates all the time, so that i get all my work done without either of them cribbing. But this time its not the case. The car owner is too particular about the money spent and no leeway given to either of the above guys.

So, i can expect all my team guys to finish that 99% of the car, but leave the 1% without attending. Thats for sure.

Presently everyone are working to half their potential, and i can for sure expect a BASIC TREATMENT for this project. I am more reminded of my Wolsley project, which took of so well but fizzled out in the last stage.

Lets see how it goes.

The seats are going to the upholstery guy tomorrow, gettting the existing pads to the original shape is an actual nightmare, but i am determined to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1851.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1852.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1867.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1868.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 29th November 2010 at 18:59.
Old 30th November 2010, 21:12   #96
BANNED

The restoration is almost done. Do you have all the original meters? And also the steering wheel? I can help you source such parts.
Old 30th November 2010, 22:34   #97
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
The restoration is almost done. Do you have all the original meters? And also the steering wheel? I can help you source such parts.
Thank you for your help Sir. Thats a sweet gesture from your end.

I am facing trouble with the intake manifold for this car, its leaking at the joining end, if you could lead me to some place who specializes with this, it would be great.

Meanwhile, the Dashboard of this car is in tatters, looks like i need to dirty my hands a bit to do some carbon fiber stitch-up job.

The whole of the interiors are designed in Beige per the owners request, and will have the ORIGINAL PATTERN as per my request , and the Upholstery work is going to cost us close to 25-28K, which includes.

1) Roof lining as per original spec (Beige)
2) Two door pads and two rear side panels, as per original spec (Beige)
3) Front 2 seats and rear seats upholstery, as per original spec (Beige)
4) Complete carpeting (Beige)
5) Dashboard paneling( Beige)

All the work will be done with High Quality OVIAN Art leather.
Attached Thumbnails
1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1891.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 30th November 2010 at 22:35.
Old 1st December 2010, 17:03   #98
BANNED

Well, as of now, Electrician's work is almost at the END. We only need to install the battery terminals and Headlight Bulbs.

Need to find something to fit the air intake of the engine shroud and the Air Dam from the chassis, else the car will start running hot. The original part is hard to find and costs a bomb ( $ 225)

Some random pics.
Attached Thumbnails
1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1909.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1905.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1906.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1904.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1910.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1908.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1903.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_1907.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2010, 19:14   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Well, as of now, Electrician's work is almost at the END. We only need to install the battery terminals and Headlight Bulbs.

Need to find something to fit the air intake of the engine shroud and the Air Dam from the chassis, else the car will start running hot. The original part is hard to find and costs a bomb ( $ 225)

Some random pics.
Car is looking Good! Hope the owner is happy when its all done. For the Air dam and engine shroud you would need some kind of insulating material?
was it raining in Bangalore? and is that a Mini I see at the back in one of the pics? Is it also being restored? Whats with the Stanher's progress?
Old 1st December 2010, 19:37   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Car is looking Good! Hope the owner is happy when its all done. For the Air dam and engine shroud you would need some kind of insulating material?
was it raining in Bangalore? Whats with the Stanher's progress?

Hi Kevin,

Yes it was drizzling at Bangalore all day today.

Things are looking good as of now, The only problem being the intake manifold leak ( T3 intake manifolds are out of stock ) Presently sent them over to a mech at Chennai, hopefully it should be rectified ASAP.

The insulating material is usually made of canvas or rubber, both are out of stock. I think i can get them made in canvas.

The Standard Herald is 99% ready, waiting for the roof-lining and door pads.
Old 1st December 2010, 19:38   #101
Senior - BHPian

The car's coming out really good. I specially love the paint job on it. Just hope that the owner doesn't play a spoil sport at last stages of completion.
Old 1st December 2010, 20:39   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
The car's coming out really good. I specially love the paint job on it. Just hope that the owner doesn't play a spoil sport at last stages of completion.
I have had a lengthy chat with the car owner, he's a known guy of my age group

We had a bit of difference in our thinking and process wavelength. We were out of sync.

What happened in between this restoration was, the car changed hands from one owner to the present guy. He was new to my way of working so was i to him. I have made him realise that Estimates are not actuals during such a kind of restorations. We both have come in terms. Presently things have sorted out and work is on full swing
Old 1st December 2010, 22:18   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
What happened in between this restoration was, the car changed hands from one owner to the present guy.
Didn't think someone would sell this while the resto was going on. anyways good to know the resto is back full swing!
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:11   #104
Senior - BHPian

Well its good that the current owner & you have agreed on certain terms. Guess the same age group factor plays a major role here. Didn't knew that the car changed hands but it really doesn't matters until the restoration work of the car suffers. Thanks to you, this car will surely come out a stunner.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:08   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Well its good that the current owner & you have agreed on certain terms. Guess the same age group factor plays a major role here. Didn't knew that the car changed hands but it really doesn't matters until the restoration work of the car suffers. Thanks to you, this car will surely come out a stunner.
I need all that luck and wishes to finish this car ASAP. Since there are 2 more Fastbacks waiting in queue since last 6 months for restoration.

Come 2011 will be a year for 4 T3 restorations for me.

Gettting back to work in progress. Today the electrician will complete the work on

1) Fuel tank level indicator,
2) Meter console clock,
3) Battery terminals

And the mechanic will finish work on

1) Brake switch
2) Master cylinder assembly
3) Accelerator pedal
4) All 4 flexible brake hoses(new one's came in yesterday)

Most Viewed