Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 14:42   #121
BHPian

Re: Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed!

Check post #11 on the first page. I have marked with an arrow the neutral light switch, which is a semicircular bakelite switch next to the bearing on the right crank case. Note that this was a feature only in the pre-1965 engines.
Old 4th January 2012, 15:55   #122
BHPian

Hey Tuffryder. Would it be possible for you to give me the contact number and address of your mechanic? It seems to be a splendid job you guys have done on that Jawa. I have a friend whose Yezdi needs some TLC after 5 yrs in the garage. thanks.
Old 5th January 2012, 15:15   #123
BHPian

Addu - 25478279. You can use my name as the reference... Patrick
Old 27th January 2012, 11:34   #124
BHPian

Hi Patrick! I will help myself to the phone number you have put up. I will start restoration work on my Jawa next month. I need to start procuring parts first (Including new cylinder and piston). Can you give me any leads on spare parts? I am very new to Bangalore.
PS- I went to Balaji and he wants 8 thousand for the block and piston. I feel it is a bit too expensive.
Old 27th January 2012, 16:52   #125
BHPian

Yeah, the prices over here are absurd and ridiculous. Call my mech and tell him I referred you. Get your bike there and he will help u with the parts. All the best.
Old 7th February 2012, 11:58   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
You are partially right, but the color name our JAWA's had was IMPERIAL MAROON N.C paint from ICI Duco ( N.C. >>>means nitro cellulose )...

" ASPA",but it is cheap compared with N.C & PU base paints in both ....Cost & quality.
Sir,

As you say, the Jawa originally came with NC paint. Is this exact paint still available? I am restoring my '71 and want to keep her as original as possible, including the paint type. Is there a visible difference with NC and PU paint? Is DuPont also PU paint? I'm sure DuPont has a much better life, resistance to fade, etc but are all PU paints better in that way, compared to NC? Meaning, can I safely stick to NC paint, or should I upgrade for my bike's benefit, since I have the option?

Also, did the Jawa come in bottle-green (the Atlas Goldline bicycle colour) ever? Some conflicting opinions so far, but 3 shades (black, maroon and bottle green) seem to be the general consensus. I'm visualising my Jawa in bottle green and just cant stop fantasizing

Hope that wasnt too many questions.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 7th February 2012, 15:02   #127
BHPian

About the paints, I'll let some of the experts give you a proper insight instead of me confusing you. As for the color, if yours is a 71, then yes it did come in green also.
Old 17th February 2012, 07:52   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Sir,

As you say, the Jawa originally came with NC paint. Is this exact paint still available?* I am restoring my '71 and want to keep her as original as possible, including the paint type. Is there a visible difference with NC and PU paint? Is DuPont also PU paint?** I'm sure DuPont has a much better life, resistance to fade, etc but are all PU paints better in that way, compared to NC? Meaning, can I safely stick to NC paint, or should I upgrade for my bike's benefit,*** since I have the option?
Cheers,
Rahul
* Jawa Bikes originally came with " NC paint, with Enamel base", had a trade name " Hi-lux", this particular Hi-lux paint was not available at retail sales market!!
This Hi-lux paint doesn't need any " rubbing & polishing" like our regular NC paints like DUCO, Addison etc, which was available for consumers, for re-painting & touche - ups!!
But, almost all the original shades came along in Bullets, Lambrettas, Ambassdors, Premier Padminis was available in NC based paint of ICI's Duco, Addison etc..
But all the NC based paints finally need rubbing & polishing to achieve the gloss , what it was in the factory painted Machines.
So, even now ICI's DUCO Automotive NC paint is available, but the same " Imperial maroon " shade is not there in production!!
If you wish to go for Duco NC paint , there is no other option, you can go for Mixing & fixing!!

** Yes, there is huge difference in PU ( polyurethane) & NC ( nitro-cellulose ) paints
A fully painted product of these two variants, do differ in looks & Life(??)
Cost wise also PU paints are expensive than NC paint.
apart from Dupont, there are many paint manufactures in India, who make PU paints
Even Dupont has TWO grades, one the regular the " Mixing stuff" and the other a ore-mixed , with very limited shades called " DUXONE"

***Yes , if you are not more concerned about originality & stuff, you may better go for PU based paint, which has high gloss, durable & easy to work on...bit expensive though!!
Cheers!!
powertwin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 12:04   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
* Jawa Bikes originally came with " NC paint, with Enamel base", had a trade name " Hi-lux", this particular Hi-lux paint was not available at retail sales market!!
This Hi-lux paint doesn't need any " rubbing & polishing" like our regular NC paints like DUCO, Addison etc, which was available for consumers, for re-painting & touche - ups!!
But, almost all the original shades came along in Bullets, Lambrettas, Ambassdors, Premier Padminis was available in NC based paint of ICI's Duco, Addison etc..
But all the NC based paints finally need rubbing & polishing to achieve the gloss , what it was in the factory painted Machines.
So, even now ICI's DUCO Automotive NC paint is available, but the same " Imperial maroon " shade is not there in production!!
If you wish to go for Duco NC paint , there is no other option, you can go for Mixing & fixing!!

** Yes, there is huge difference in PU ( polyurethane) & NC ( nitro-cellulose ) paints
A fully painted product of these two variants, do differ in looks & Life(??)
Cost wise also PU paints are expensive than NC paint.
apart from Dupont, there are many paint manufactures in India, who make PU paints
Even Dupont has TWO grades, one the regular the " Mixing stuff" and the other a ore-mixed , with very limited shades called " DUXONE"

***Yes , if you are not more concerned about originality & stuff, you may better go for PU based paint, which has high gloss, durable & easy to work on...bit expensive though!!
Cheers!!

Sir,

Thanks a lot for your update, i have some questions

1> What were the colour shades with jawa 1962 available in india

2> And with what vendor and mixing formula can we achieve the shades

Please enlighten all of us

Regrads,
Ranjit
Old 17th February 2012, 12:26   #130
BHPian

As per my knowledge, in 1962 only the maroon was available.

As for the mixing, I took a part with the original shade to the vendor and he just mixed it for me with Duco paints.
Old 17th February 2012, 21:59   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
As per my knowledge, in 1962 only the maroon was available.

As for the mixing, I took a part with the original shade to the vendor and he just mixed it for me with Duco paints.
Hi Pat,
For sure There was Black also!!
Just a year ago , I picked a 1962 Jawa for my friend Anand (Ooty - Coimbatore) in factory paint , which was black and even his RC book said BLACK.
Have to dig out the pics from one of my CD s, think it has been re- painted by his cousin, that to at Bangalore I guess.
Sorry, that i couldn't collect more details as that poor guy is at Hospital fighting for his life, after a major Road accident...just few days before that accident he told me that he want to sell that particular 1962 Jawa!!
and rode my RE twin>>

# about mixing , if Dupont or any other PU base paint, the paint dealer will do the mixing job, provided we have to take a "Shade card" of ICI, which has the "Imperial maroon shade"
## If it is NC, if your painter is bit knowledgeable person, he can do it !!

Last edited by powertwin : 17th February 2012 at 22:04.
Old 18th February 2012, 00:13   #132
BHPian

Sir u r spot on black was also the shade as one f mhy 62 is black in colour the day i bought it. Also i m dealing with laymens in nsk it could be great help to me if u could pin down the exact mixing ratio of dupont

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : SMS / Slang language is not the preferred mode of communication on Team-BHP. We would much appreciate if you type your post out in clear and concise english for the benefit of other community members.

Thanks!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 18th February 2012 at 16:42. Reason: See note in post
Old 20th February 2012, 12:01   #133
BHPian

PowerTwin: Thank you for the information. I have seen one black jawa of this era and it indeed looks really good.

I hope your friend recovers soon. My prayers are with him and his family.
Old 20th February 2012, 20:02   #134
BHPian

Power twin sir wishing your friend a speedy and fast recovery all our bhpians wishes are with him
Old 21st February 2012, 22:45   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Sir,

.......I'm visualising my Jawa in bottle green and just cant stop fantasizing

Hope that wasnt too many questions.

Cheers,
Rahul
....... that wasnt too many questions., you told but..you referred this green color of AJS ...as bottle green >>>

But the color of this AJS is a Metallic not a opaque shade it is a " HENNA GREEN", not a Bottle green,, the paint used in this AJS bike is a M R F PU paint ( Even Dupont, Asian & 2K has the same name for this particular shade)
Bottle green will have more Black shade !!
Will post some more pics tomorow , which comes close to the color{ Bottle green) you visualize

PS: On my opinion , this color(Henna green) won't look good for ever Bike, b'coz it has forever value!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks