Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2011, 14:43   #256
BHPian

Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

nothing much to share with -after so many days iam again back on the forum, the car is running really well and i am driving her almost daily, short or long distances( not very long upto 50-60 kms .the fuel temp gauge is really helpful gauge and is ,a piece of mind,the speedometer cable broke yesterday-it happened first time in my life with the vw's,never know why? may be the age, i got a good set of pneumatic tools and accessories, its really easy working pneumatically-i came to know practically-NOW,many tit bits to play with-i thank my dad for the same,probably friends and family are now trying to understand what are the ideal gifts for nuts like we all-ha ha here are some pics to share with-thanks
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011091200909.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011091200910.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011091200911.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011091200913.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011091200914.jpg  

Old 28th September 2011, 01:47   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
nothing much to share with -after so many days iam again back on the forum, the car is running really well and i am driving her almost daily, short or long distances( not very long upto 50-60 kms .the fuel temp gauge is really helpful gauge and is ,a piece of mind,the speedometer cable broke yesterday-it happened first time in my life with the vw's,never know why? may be the age, i got a good set of pneumatic tools and accessories, its really easy working pneumatically-i came to know practically-NOW,many tit bits to play with-i thank my dad for the same,probably friends and family are now trying to understand what are the ideal gifts for nuts like we all-ha ha here are some pics to share with-thanks
Great going Inderpal Ji, then a proper garage now proper tools wow!! fun to be in garage that too now pneumatic powered . I always wanted a complete set of tools and especially CRAFTSMAN toolkit but still not that lucky, I am guy who believe working with a proper tool is the easy and the best way, now that they are pneumatic power I guess you need to have a air compressor?. What next sir ? a lift for your cars for under body work, would be interesting and why not? Love the stuff you are getting for your baby.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-carlift.jpg  

Old 28th September 2011, 14:04   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Great going Inderpal Ji, then a proper garage now proper tools wow!! fun to be in garage that too now pneumatic powered . I always wanted a complete set of tools and especially CRAFTSMAN toolkit but still not that lucky, I am guy who believe working with a proper tool is the easy and the best way, now that they are pneumatic power I guess you need to have a air compressor?. What next sir ? a lift for your cars for under body work, would be interesting and why not? Love the stuff you are getting for your baby.
Thanks Dear Chanu ji,
i have a small compressor ,i purchased it locally,its a small init direct drive(without belt) and automatically on and off when the air pressure level drops a certain level and gets off when the tank is full,i simply fixed the pressure knob that came with the kit, so in a flash of sec i can replace any pressure tool without leakage of air, no clamps etc just plug and play stuff, the compressor being small is handy and portable with wheels, so my helper can roll it any where in the garage where we work,i will be adding a good air filter and a lubricant for the tools very soon, the kit has a pneumatic hammer too and is very interesting to work with,and thanks for the good wishes for the lift,till then i have a dug in my garage,which has a light in it too for proper vision.will share pictures soon-thanks again
Old 21st October 2011, 16:27   #259
BHPian

some more things to share, the chrome finish fan belt cover was supposed to be on, at the end of the job, when all the timing and tune ups will be done,so the time is here and so is the cover, and a glass-inline filter and some spark wire holders-accesories,changed the fuel line till the pump from rubber hose to metal line-may be more durable,and some old fans in the garage and a new entry-1942 ariel,rigid frame bike,a lot of solex vw carbs lying with me,can some one suggest me a good rebuilt person here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011102101428.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011102101429.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011102101434.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011102101435.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011102101436.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 21st October 2011, 16:55   #260
BHPian

Quote:
some more things to share, the chrome finish fan belt cover was supposed to be on, at the end of the job, when all the timing and tune ups will be done,so the time is here and so is the cover, and a glass-inline filter and some spark wire holders-accesories,changed the fuel line till the pump from rubber hose to metal line-may be more durable,and some old fans in the garage and a new entry-1942 ariel,rigid frame bike,a lot of solex vw carbs lying with me,can some one suggest me a good rebuilt person here are some pics
Didn't know quite what to look for in the second photograph of the ceiling Fan.., but please be kind enough to explain / guide people like me.
Old 21st October 2011, 17:04   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Didn't know quite what to look for in the second photograph of the ceiling Fan.., but please be kind enough to explain / guide people like me.
ha ha, i know iam funny, but its just a fan from 70's in my garage, as iam trying to give the garage an old look every where,so the fans, ihave been collecting them since long ,its nothing special just a touch of era

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : SMS / Slang language is not the preferred mode of communication on Team-BHP. We would much appreciate if you type your post out in clear and concise english for the benefit of other community members.

Thanks!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 21st October 2011 at 17:39. Reason: See note in post
Old 24th October 2011, 23:51   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill
Where did you order the wire separator kit from and the fuel filter ? Nice
Old 1st November 2011, 16:46   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Where did you order the wire separator kit from and the fuel filter ? Nice
thanks for the comments, dad got them from canadian tyre-a store at canada, but its available at major online stores too-your beetle looks lovely too.
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:54   #264
BHPian

I was going to get a kit similar to the mastercraft one last time i visited canada, It would have proved to be very useful but due to space constraints decided to postpone it to my next trip. Had 4 vintage cameras to bring this time in the luggage

Last edited by Shreeram : 2nd November 2011 at 11:56.
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:31   #265
BHPian

went for some shopping today in the beetle, it was a lovely day,although some jams spoil t the drive but on the drive, but on the whole it was a wonder experience,the total drive concluded to be 78 kms till i reached back home,the car behaved very nicely.here are some pics to share with you all
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011110201559.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011110201565.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011110201566.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011110201567.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011110201568.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011110201570.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011110201571.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011110201573.jpg  

inderpalgill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:25   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ha ha, i know iam funny, but its just a fan from 70's in my garage, as iam trying to give the garage an old look every where,so the fans, ihave been collecting them since long ,its nothing special just a touch of era
(Since we're anyways ), that fan sure isnt from the 70s, looks a little older. Maybe 60s (presuming its an USHA btw? )
I used to like collecting old fans too. 'still have a few carried forward from our old house when we sold it.
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:40   #267
BHPian

Well, I have driven the bug for 150 kms in two days, she is behaving wonderful, some little things need attention, the starter some time slips the flywheel teeth to gives a slip sound, especially when there is a good number of spectators around-ha ha, I was lucky to find a flywheel ring for my 65 beetle last year as she had the same problem, but its not available now,some lathe mechanics suggest to repair the one by one teeth, but a friend tried it and is not very satisfied,my starter bush is new( just for information).so can here some one suggest some remedy, will I have to change the flywheel to a new one or a ring can be arranged from some where, and if I change the flywheel, can I go for a 200mm one, with a new clutch set( 200mm too) on a 61 beetle, and will I have to replace the starter too( I think obviously) in that case I have a spare new bosch starter 12 V for auto transmission as a friend suggested it can be used in a manual beetle and eliminates the use of the bush and is considered better- what do the gurus here suggest.
Old 12th November 2011, 12:48   #268
BHPian

a couple of pics i will like to share with all my like minded friends-my VW family
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-onee.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-two.jpg  

Old 13th November 2011, 20:52   #269
BHPian

You're one lucky guy to own so many lovely cars. And of course the cars are lucky too to have you as their caretaker

Best
Prithvi
Old 5th December 2011, 16:06   #270
BHPian

the car is running really well, almost being driven as a daily driver, the muffler (as discussed earlier) has started showing good signs of typical vw notes-as it didnt do earlier may be because it was new. and the sound is really lovely.enjoying the north indian summers and the typical air cooled smell in the cabin.any ways had a little problem with the paint on the bonnet, it started to bubble up as was before i repainted,on the same place near centre,so my paint consultant told me that its the rust causing cancer,luckily i had a spare bonnet with me a good all most NOS and primed grey, is sent for the paint ,may be done in a week or so,will be sharing some pics.So i need another advise, as the car didnt come with a fuel gauge, it some what difficult to drive without an idea of Gas, as i didnt make the fuel tap functional( may be done later) what is the feed back for Dehne Digital fuel gauge.has any one ever tried it here, is it worth spending $150 plus shipping etc.also i was wondering my cars gas tank has a fuel sender in it, although electric one may be put in by some one later,but the whole that fits the sender looks original,how come, or is the gas tank replaced by the later models,the gas cap is of the same size as of my 65 bug and 69 bus.pls suggest

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks