Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 15:52   #166
BHPian

Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
I'm glad you got the sunvisor as also the other parts, lucky you! I have a question, how is the sunvisor, in the sense that its quite long, being brought back? Will someone carry it back as a piece of luggage? I ask because around 2 years back, when I was in the US, I bought tons of parts which were missing from my car (all stolen) and also got the front and rear windscreen aluminium beadings for the rubber seals. I didn't know how to carry them back as the dimensions were too much for both Fedex and USPS, until someone suggested that it can be carried as a piece of baggage, which actually worked!

I now have a webasto roof stuck with a crating company in the US, which weighs around 175 kgs, and is large, since the roof comes with all the pillars! Any ideas on economical shipping to India?

Best Regards
Prithvi
Thanks alot sirji,and regarding the visor,yes it will be brought as a luggage by my dad next month, i made a bag last year which was made with an intension to carry a set of vw bumpers and dad did for the 61 bug,the same bag he took this time for some thing bulky(didnt have the visor that time) so he found a good German Visor in california, during his holiday and the bag will carry it home, i also have paid huge customs in 2007(approx) as i imported some bumper set and some engine,heavy parts for my 71 super beetle,since then decided no to fedex et they come up to be expensive(you can go and get parts in that price for one car-ha ha),will be posting pics as it arrives home,all the best for the parts
Old 9th June 2011, 12:09   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
I'm glad you got the sunvisor as also the other parts, lucky you! I have a question, how is the sunvisor, in the sense that its quite long, being brought back? Will someone carry it back as a piece of luggage? I ask because around 2 years back, when I was in the US, I bought tons of parts which were missing from my car (all stolen) and also got the front and rear windscreen aluminium beadings for the rubber seals. I didn't know how to carry them back as the dimensions were too much for both Fedex and USPS, until someone suggested that it can be carried as a piece of baggage, which actually worked!

I now have a webasto roof stuck with a crating company in the US, which weighs around 175 kgs, and is large, since the roof comes with all the pillars! Any ideas on economical shipping to India?

Best Regards
Prithvi
Excited and eager to moint the VDO white dial gauges in the dash, the original small one speaker grill will be off and packed aside to put the same sized chrome made by EMPI with 2.5 " two holes to hold the VDO oilk temp and and a voltmeter.to give an additional touch and a better eye on the engine temp and and charging status.has any one experienced the oil temp gauge,does it work well and what will be the normal engine oil temp,any pics and tips on wiring will be helpful
Old 13th June 2011, 15:38   #168
BHPian

some more pics to add a key cover for the super beetle, tried it on the bus and the 61 key,but didnt fit well so super's key had it,original rims completed ,tried a golden strip in the white portion, made by an experienced painter famous for bullet tank lining,its not a strip of sticker but paint and the switch knobs, as the switches are not original, so the knobs will give a feeling ha ha, the hub cap tool box is painted as body shade,pics following soon
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011061002319.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011061002322.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011061002320.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011061002323.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011061002321.jpg  

Old 15th June 2011, 14:11   #169
BHPian

here is the pic of the tool box, i painted the same shade as of the body and the vw in golden,now i am sizzling to see my car in original rims ,with stock wheel caps ,but was surprised and shocked to listen the price tag of 165 80 15 MRF tyre 4300 per Tyre and tube, i almost paid half price when i purchased 4 tires for my super beetle in 2007,so no budget of 16K more on this car, i have already drilled a big hole in my wallet restoring this car, god knows when will i see her in her stock wheels,took approx a month to paint them and line them golden,any ways enjoy the pics
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011061102352.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011061502388.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011061502387.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2011, 17:05   #170
BHPian

the original rims are complete and so is the spare wheel,can anyone help me to get one white wall insert to complete my spare wheel,
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-spare.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2011, 21:05   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
the original rims are complete and so is the spare wheel,can anyone help me to get one white wall insert to complete my spare wheel,
Inder I would recommend the white wall paint over the inserts, the inserts in my experience really warp badly after some time. You can find good quality white wall paint here Mercedes-Benz Pontons (1953-1962) / White Wall Tire Paint for Diagonal (Cross-Ply) Tires © www.mbzponton.org

I will be importing a couple of cans soon for my Lambretta and Fanatabulus.

Last edited by the mole : 22nd June 2011 at 21:07.
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:31   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Inder I would recommend the white wall paint over the inserts, the inserts in my experience really warp badly after some time. You can find good quality white wall paint here Mercedes-Benz Pontons (1953-1962) / White Wall Tire Paint for Diagonal (Cross-Ply) Tires © www.mbzponton.org

I will be importing a couple of cans soon for my Lambretta and Fanatabulus.
Sir,honestly i had an altogether different view for the white paint,will try one for sure,i also had a bad experience with white wall tyres, as i imported a set for my vespa, and they are now turning yellowish after 3 years,being costly i can exchange them with a new ones,can u suggest some remedy for them too
Old 23rd June 2011, 17:02   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir,honestly i had an altogether different view for the white paint,will try one for sure,i also had a bad experience with white wall tyres, as i imported a set for my vespa, and they are now turning yellowish after 3 years,being costly i can exchange them with a new ones,can u suggest some remedy for them too
Dear Inder, I totally agree with you on this part. I find that the Indian whitewalls have a greater tendency to yellow out then others. I have B F Goodrich on my Ponton, I find the inherent tendency to get yellow is very very less and once cleaned they stay white for longer.

That is not the case with the white walls on my Fiat (MRF) and Rover (Ling Long-chinese) they get yellow even with regular washing and are much much tougher to clean once dirty. Infact I have tried cleaning them myself with a Pumice stone and Surf but to no avail.

Finally the only way to get them white is by using the Spirit based solvent cleaners similar to the one shown in the MBZ ponton site. They work great and the stains are removed instantly. I dont know exactly which brand I have here, but i bought it off ebay if I remember correctly.

I have very bad experience with inserts, I have tried Atlas. They just dont sit flush with the tire wall after some period of time and tend to look shabby. You can get a good set if your interested from Ebay. They are available there most of the time.
Old 24th June 2011, 14:27   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Dear Inder, I totally agree with you on this part. I find that the Indian whitewalls have a greater tendency to yellow out then others. I have B F Goodrich on my Ponton, I find the inherent tendency to get yellow is very very less and once cleaned they stay white for longer.

That is not the case with the white walls on my Fiat (MRF) and Rover (Ling Long-chinese) they get yellow even with regular washing and are much much tougher to clean once dirty. Infact I have tried cleaning them myself with a Pumice stone and Surf but to no avail.

Finally the only way to get them white is by using the Spirit based solvent cleaners similar to the one shown in the MBZ ponton site. They work great and the stains are removed instantly. I dont know exactly which brand I have here, but i bought it off ebay if I remember correctly.

I have very bad experience with inserts, I have tried Atlas. They just dont sit flush with the tire wall after some period of time and tend to look shabby. You can get a good set if your interested from Ebay. They are available there most of the time.
sir mine are shinko,i think korean,pls let me know the name of the cleaner,it will be a great help
Old 24th June 2011, 16:47   #175
Senior - BHPian

GERMAN nomenclature of VW parts

Many of the NOS GENUINE VW (GERMAN) parts which come in their oreeginal boxes have only GERMAN names of the parts on the label
Here are some of the commonly used terms.

Kolben - piston, Einspritzduese - fuel injector, Oelpumpe - oil pump
Luefter - fan, Schwungrad - flywheel, Nockenwelle - camshaft
obenliegende Nockenwelle - overhead cam, Kurbel - crank
Kurbelwelle - crankshaft, Tuergriff - door handle
Tuerschloss - lock, Schluessel - key, Reifen - tire
Rad - wheel, Gashebel - accelerator, Handbremshebel - park brake lever
Blinkschalter - turn signal lever, Lenkrad - steering wheel
Luftfilter - air filter, Scheinwerfer - head light,Windschutzscheibe - windshield,Stossstange - bumper, Innenrueckspieel - rear view mirror
Aussenspiegel - exterior mirror, Auspufftopf - muffler, Stossdaempfer - shock absorber, Scheibenwischer - windshield wiper, Kofferraum - trunk
Kraftstoffanzeige - fuel gauge , Heckscheibe - rear window
Heckscheibenheizung - rear window defroster,zundefloge = firing order
Old 25th June 2011, 14:00   #176
BHPian

Re: GERMAN nomenclature of VW parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Many of the NOS GENUINE VW (GERMAN) parts which come in their oreeginal boxes have only GERMAN names of the parts on the label
Here are some of the commonly used terms.

Kolben - piston, Einspritzduese - fuel injector, Oelpumpe - oil pump
Luefter - fan, Schwungrad - flywheel, Nockenwelle - camshaft
obenliegende Nockenwelle - overhead cam, Kurbel - crank
Kurbelwelle - crankshaft, Tuergriff - door handle
Tuerschloss - lock, Schluessel - key, Reifen - tire
Rad - wheel, Gashebel - accelerator, Handbremshebel - park brake lever
Blinkschalter - turn signal lever, Lenkrad - steering wheel
Luftfilter - air filter, Scheinwerfer - head light,Windschutzscheibe - windshield,Stossstange - bumper, Innenrueckspieel - rear view mirror
Aussenspiegel - exterior mirror, Auspufftopf - muffler, Stossdaempfer - shock absorber, Scheibenwischer - windshield wiper, Kofferraum - trunk
Kraftstoffanzeige - fuel gauge , Heckscheibe - rear window
Heckscheibenheizung - rear window defroster,zundefloge = firing order
Interesting information,one always learns through out his life and i really feel good to learn from great people like you,i have another question from all the people who read this thread, why the so loved car the beetle not allowed to enter the statesman rally held every year at delhi, i tried to enter,but they filter out beetles with one or the other creterias either of the minimum year of make,or the cc of engines,
Old 25th June 2011, 20:55   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting information,one always learns through out his life and i really feel good to learn from great people like you,i have another question from all the people who read this thread, why the so loved car the beetle not allowed to enter the statesman rally held every year at delhi, i tried to enter,but they filter out beetles with one or the other creterias either of the minimum year of make,or the cc of engines,
Statesman is financially doing very badly. The readership has gone down rapidly. There are chances that the rally might not happen next year in Delhi and in Calcutta. Apart from that Delhi has way much more cars than any other city in India and the rally as we all know is free of cost. So to keep a control on the number of cars that are entered they do not allow certain cars. Although the Statesman rally in Calcutta does allow Beetles simply because the number of cars are limited.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:01   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Statesman is financially doing very badly. The readership has gone down rapidly. There are chances that the rally might not happen next year in Delhi and in Calcutta. Apart from that Delhi has way much more cars than any other city in India and the rally as we all know is free of cost. So to keep a control on the number of cars that are entered they do not allow certain cars. Although the Statesman rally in Calcutta does allow Beetles simply because the number of cars are limited.
But do you think that filtering out the most lovable car around the world makes a good sense?
Old 27th June 2011, 13:54   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But do you think that filtering out the most lovable car around the world makes a good sense?
My views are something similar to your views rather than what the Statesman organizers/judges have in view but i can't do anything or comment anything on it since i am not in a position to host a rally similar or at the same scale as the statesman. So the day i can do i will comment on it.
Old 29th June 2011, 17:06   #180
BHPian

got some more parts today-a long awaited external sunvisor reached my hands, its German Made,Stainless steel frame and Black visor in between , aVDO set of two gauges with sender- a voltmeter and an oil temp kit with all the fittings and senders made by VDO,another bosch blue coil,an inline after market glass filter kit,a door handle as my original missed the key ,so a new one with 2 keys,a drip rail mirror made of SS, suspensio rubber kit made of urethane-life time guaranteed, and SS clamps,long necked rear view mirrors,set of super cool bosch spark plugs,ss made door handle guards,an after market yet nice chromed fan for my westfalia bus,pls suggest where to mount,expect a bit relief from the north Indian summers,and some stickers and small lights etc,here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011062903003.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011062903004.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011062903006.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011062903007.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011062903008.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011062903009.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011062903010.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011062903011.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011062903012.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011062903015.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011062903016.jpg