Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 10:15   #136
BHPian

Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
hi, i all major issues solved,now planning a monster under the hood ha ah , a big big music system,
Inderpalji,

Congratulations on the wonderful outcome on your car. I have been following your thread for a long time, and I know the amount of original parts etc. which has gone into the restoration of this car. She is looking so nice and period. Are you going to retain the alloys though?

Regards
Prithvi
Old 6th May 2011, 12:25   #137
Senior - BHPian

Inderpalji, fascinating result. The allloys quite fit the part and set the car apart in a nice way. Can you please put a closer detail of how you did the difference Between the two tones at the A pillar. Overall a superb result. May your brood grow.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:34   #138
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further. Thanks.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 6th May 2011 at 14:36. Reason: See moderator's note
Old 7th May 2011, 13:59   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Inderpalji,

Congratulations on the wonderful outcome on your car. I have been following your thread for a long time, and I know the amount of original parts etc. which has gone into the restoration of this car. She is looking so nice and period. Are you going to retain the alloys though?

Regards
Prithvi
Thanks for the appreciation, this really feeels you passed the exam ha ha,and for the alloys,there are several little yet silly points,as the first one was that the car being from Goa-Mumbai ,was having original rims too much rusty,yet not beyond restoration but my painter had an excuse to delay there work, i had a set of 4 alloys at my home, that were took off by my frindfrom a skoda laura and are 16",hence i been in an anxiety to roll the car and didnt have the patience to wiat for the rims to come(which even are not painted finally by that lazy man-ha ha) and made my mind that they are a part of vw family too i made a set of 4 spacer plates or u can term as adapter plates, so that i couldn't disturb the bolts on the original drums and hence a bolt on adapter holds the two different pct's together,ie from the skoda and the 5 bolt vw pattern, so this very modification has a reverse gear with no compromise with originality, i can switch over to original rims simply by removing alloys and adapters and bolting on the stock rims,for which i managed to get hold a set of stock(German ones) hub caps when i was in Germany in 2010, they are far better and heavy than the after market ones.
secondly all my other bugs are stock rims and caps so everyone in the family insisted for a sporty look ,may be for few months, so i opted them, i will get rid of them if the votes for the stock rims,or the votes for the alloys do not suit the car,rises both at TBHP and at Home,
Old 7th May 2011, 15:00   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Inderpalji, fascinating result. The allloys quite fit the part and set the car apart in a nice way. Can you please put a closer detail of how you did the difference Between the two tones at the A pillar. Overall a superb result. May your brood grow.
Thanks ji,
i was a bit confused ,over this pattern of two tone,as i personally had never seen this type of two tone set up in a beetle other than the fenders going different or the door area being different,although both shades are original vw shades from the 60's ie the sea blue and lotus white, the major concern came how to join them at the pillars, the idea developed to fuse them as a mist of both shades, for which the car had to go to the paint shop again ,as the entire assembly is conducted by my self with a help of my 15 years old helper boy(excuse me for child labor-but he is an up coming enthusiast, a bit young) mean time some mechanical issues came into the way,so the preference turned to make the car road worthy and paint fusion a secondary issue, mean time i had a chance to visit the volksworld show-UK,where i saw a beetle that was brought in by a British soldier after the war ended,he had some British flag some where on his uniform( was just a statue-with the real car) straight in front of that was a stall of a humble man who offered custom stickers of your choice,with a very nice finish,an idea struck why not join the colors as the German flag and the swastika sign(with a correct tilt and dimensions as some of us -including me did when i was a kid to draw the vw logo with improper slopes the "V" and "W", -any ways) and i custom made 2 each keeping one spare, if i cudn't apply the 1st properly i have one spare,so thinking that to be a mean time option ,i now have that 2 stick ons there, with a German flag on one shoulder( or may be bicep of the bug) and the swastika on the others- will click and share pics today,as iam about to leave for a long Saturday evening drive with the kids.,
Old 9th May 2011, 17:28   #141
BHPian

a bit disappointed as the radio i got for the 61 ,didnt fit the original slot in the dash, its big by half inch,didnt know the sizes of the slots are different in different years,this was a blaupunkt may be for post 67 models as the size is same as of my super beetle radio, so the 71 sedan will get a gift now and the 61 will wait for few months to get some music,what are votes for the retro sound radios, iam thinking for one?
Old 11th May 2011, 10:51   #142
BHPian

hi my beetle is turning 40 on 14th may-saturday the plans are firm for a full flare birthday party, people may consider me a nut,but i love my cars,especially this one,as she is my first ever beetle and with me since 1993,i have many memories attached with her,few ones to share are -i drove this car to school for the farewell party when i left my school in 95,she too was my wedding car in 2k,in addition to some small and big other memories, now she is turning 40 this saturday, iwish to give her my best,i have reserved the day for her,so no work on saturday,just celebrate her b day,cut the cake,get a champaigne and a drive after dinner with family,cheers to all,cheers to life and cheers to the bug !!
here is the picture of her birth certificate
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-certy.jpg  

Old 11th May 2011, 18:41   #143
BHPian

Quote:
hi my beetle is turning 40 on 14th may-saturday the plans are firm for a full flare birthday party, people may consider me a nut,but i love my cars,especially this one,as she is my first ever beetle and with me since 1993,i have many memories attached with her,few ones to share are -i drove this car to school for the farewell party when i left my school in 95,she too was my wedding car in 2k,in addition to some small and big other memories, now she is turning 40 this saturday, iwish to give her my best,i have reserved the day for her,so no work on saturday,just celebrate her b day,cut the cake,get a champaigne and a drive after dinner with family,cheers to all,cheers to life and cheers to the bug !!
here is the picture of her birth certificate
This is a very good idea! Wonder how I never thought of it. All the best for the Birthday Celebrations, but aren't you inviting any bhpians!?

My car turns 60 in 2018, but thats too far away, I think i'll have an annual birthday party for her, on a day I select in the month she was made

Regards
Prithvi
Old 12th May 2011, 11:06   #144
BHPian

Quote:
This is a very good idea! Wonder how I never thought of it. All the best for the Birthday Celebrations, but aren't you inviting any bhpians!?

My car turns 60 in 2018, but thats too far away, I think i'll have an annual birthday party for her, on a day I select in the month she was made

Regards
Prithvi
That will be a nice idea to celebrate the merc's B day, but i have an another idea for you,why dont you spend some euros and get an original birth certificate for your car( like i did from the vw museum wolfsburg Germany) from the MB centre-Stuttgart germany, that can be applied for Online, i saw the counter for the same when i visited the MB centre in may 2010, but at that time i didnt have my VIN number,but saw the sample ,its far better than the vw one, it has a classic type of looks, i will dig my pictures find the foto i clicked, you just need to mention the vin and they give you plenty of interesting details of your car
Old 12th May 2011, 15:41   #145
BHPian

Quote:
That will be a nice idea to celebrate the merc's B day, but i have an another idea for you,why dont you spend some euros and get an original birth certificate for your car( like i did from the vw museum wolfsburg Germany) from the MB centre-Stuttgart germany, that can be applied for Online, i saw the counter for the same when i visited the MB centre in may 2010, but at that time i didnt have my VIN number,but saw the sample ,its far better than the vw one, it has a classic type of looks, i will dig my pictures find the foto i clicked, you just need to mention the vin and they give you plenty of interesting details of your car
You are right about the MB Data cards, they are very comprehensive, and list the paint codes, month of manufacture, original owner, interior material and colour of the car as well as any options if any. Unfortunately, they need proof that the person who is applying for the data card is the current owner, which is a problem right now, as the car is still in the name of the previous (first) owner. Once the car is completed, I will get the name transferred and then apply.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 13th May 2011, 17:46   #146
Senior - BHPian

Here is how a Mercedes Benz Birth Certificate looks for reference.

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-zertifikatmercedesbenzclassic.jpg

Meaning of the terms in the Birth Certificate -

Verkaufsbezeichnung - Sales Designation (Model)
Fahrzeug-Identifizierungs-nummer -Vehicle identification number
Auftragsnummer - Job Number
Aufbaunummer- Chassis number
Motornummer - Engine Number
iebenummer- Gearbox Number
Lenkungsschloß - Steering lock Number
Tur-Koffer-und tankschloß-Door, trunk and tank Key number
Handschuhkasten Schloß- Glove box Key Number
Auslieferungsort - Place OF Delivery
Auslieferungsdatum - Delivery Date
Lackierung - Paint code
Polsterung - Upholstery Code
Sonderausstattungen - Special Feature

Regards

Indrojit

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 13th May 2011 at 17:48.
Old 13th May 2011, 18:03   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Here is how a Mercedes Benz Birth Certificate looks for reference.

Regards

Indrojit
Hi Indrojit,

What you have shown is an early certificate, pre-war. Post war certificates, such as those for the Pontons, were austere and were not at all stylized, neither did they have any graphics. Here's one of a 220S Ponton for reference.
Attached Images

Old 13th May 2011, 18:19   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Indrojit,

What you have shown is an early certificate, pre-war. Post war certificates, such as those for the Pontons, were austere and were not at all stylized, neither did they have any graphics. Here's one of a 220S Ponton for reference.
Seems like you didn't read the certificate properly. The certificate i have put up is of a Mercedes Benz 300B which was manufactured in 1954 and not of a Pre War Mercedes. Here is a picture of the car of which this Birth certificate is for. Also please see the certificate that I have uploaded is made in Stuttgart and has Authorized signatures on it where as the one you have uploaded has some Los Anglos, USA address.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-merc-300-1.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-merc-300-2.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-merc-300-3.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-merc-300-4.jpg  

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 13th May 2011 at 18:21.
Old 13th May 2011, 18:56   #149
Senior - BHPian

Indrojit and Prithvi, my two bits! What Indrojit has is a certificate issued by Mercedes Benz on payment of 100 Euros, it documents the original spec of the car and the current owners name on the certificate. It also records the current owners name in their archives. Prithvi you have uploaded a Delivery sheet issued to the dealer, its not even a spec sheet which they used to archive, Daimler Benz issues these spec sheets free of cost when one provides documentary proof of the cars current ownership.

I have a spec sheet for my car too. However unreadable. I will be paying the 100 Euros soon to get the certificate printed just like the one Indrojit has put up.
Old 14th May 2011, 10:34   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Indrojit and Prithvi, my two bits! What Indrojit has is a certificate issued by Mercedes Benz on payment of 100 Euros, it documents the original spec of the car and the current owners name on the certificate. It also records the current owners name in their archives. Prithvi you have uploaded a Delivery sheet issued to the dealer, its not even a spec sheet which they used to archive, Daimler Benz issues these spec sheets free of cost when one provides documentary proof of the cars current ownership.

I have a spec sheet for my car too. However unreadable. I will be paying the 100 Euros soon to get the certificate printed just like the one Indrojit has put up.
Me too agree you sir, as suggested by Indrojit, that is the certificate that they issue, as i have personally seen the that format as a sample at the MB centre last year and yes for 100 euros vw guys charge 50 euros now,as i mentioned earlier,i was excited to get one for my car,but didnt had the vin number at that time,and do not think they insisted for the proof or ID,as they are nothing to do with the ownership rights,they just reveal what a particular VIN number had what paint and other details mentioned by Indrojit,same was the case when i got my VW certificate,no ID was demanded.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks