Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 13:57   #241
BHPian

Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

as already mentioned some where in the thread, i have fitted this car(61 beetle) with a sony music system,in glove box and dint cut/used the dash slot,to preserve the originality and looks of the dash board,and two speakers in the back of the rear seat,they sound very well and i loved the drive and the music as it adds to the more pleasure to the drive, now as i have two good quality approx 4" sony speakers ,my soul is pushing me to put them some where in the front of the car to have 4 way speaker feeling,pls suggest where can i fit, what about an idea to cut the front lower portion of the door panel,that i made of pvc sheet and it can hold the speakers to a good fit and nice location for the sound too, some what compromise with the originality issues,but no one will be giving me a medal for originality but i can enjoy good music with a good drive with my loved car-"PRICELESS"(better than a medal) but still i will welcome suggestions.
Old 9th August 2011, 15:18   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
as already mentioned some where in the thread, i have fitted this car(61 beetle) with a sony music system,in glove box and dint cut/used the dash slot,to preserve the originality and looks of the dash board,and two speakers in the back of the rear seat,they sound very well and i loved the drive and the music as it adds to the more pleasure to the drive, now as i have two good quality approx 4" sony speakers ,my soul is pushing me to put them some where in the front of the car to have 4 way speaker feeling,pls suggest where can i fit, what about an idea to cut the front lower portion of the door panel,that i made of pvc sheet and it can hold the speakers to a good fit and nice location for the sound too, some what compromise with the originality issues,but no one will be giving me a medal for originality but i can enjoy good music with a good drive with my loved car-"PRICELESS"(better than a medal) but still i will welcome suggestions.
The statement you have mentioned in your post answers all your questions. It's your car and your choice, you made it hence you decide anyways the deck is going to be inside the glove box. IMO I feel the same the speakers on the front doors give nice impact and surround feel, as you said the door panel is made up of PVC so you can very well fix a 4" speaker to them or even you can fix them over a box and fix it under the dash board aswell.
Old 10th August 2011, 17:12   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
The statement you have mentioned in your post answers all your questions. It's your car and your choice, you made it hence you decide anyways the deck is going to be inside the glove box. IMO I feel the same the speakers on the front doors give nice impact and surround feel, as you said the door panel is made up of PVC so you can very well fix a 4" speaker to them or even you can fix them over a box and fix it under the dash board aswell.

fix them over a box and fix it under the dash board aswell
wow this sounds good a very good idea indeed,this will maintain the shape of door panels and offer a good hidden sound too, will try to make slim type boxes-Thanks for the suggestion
Old 10th August 2011, 20:11   #244
BHPian

Bala bhai looks like your idea has worked for our Inderpal ji.

Iderpal ji enjoy your drive with music live for yourself

Regards,
Saleem
Old 10th August 2011, 20:30   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
fix them over a box and fix it under the dash board aswell
wow this sounds good a very good idea indeed,this will maintain the shape of door panels and offer a good hidden sound too, will try to make slim type boxes-Thanks for the suggestion
You are welcome Inderpal ji, you need not make one as it is you get it in the accessory shops, if you don't find them/durable then you can think about DIY. In case you are doing it then try opting for something called packing wood use to pack expensive machinery or even a novapan would be a better option, try sealing the joints well with fevicol to avoid loose sounds/gaps.

I remember a Premier Padmini car probably 80's it used to have a plastic box angled towards the seat, these boxes were fixed on the rear where normally the speakers are fixed but this would avoid a big hole made for the speakers and when removed would look ugly in spite of spoiling the original rack.

for further info...http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/FAQ/Build/

Last edited by chanu : 10th August 2011 at 20:32. Reason: adding website address for further clarity
Old 11th August 2011, 17:11   #246
BHPian

Quote:
You are welcome Inderpal ji, you need not make one as it is you get it in the accessory shops, if you don't find them/durable then you can think about DIY. In case you are doing it then try opting for something called packing wood use to pack expensive machinery or even a novapan would be a better option, try sealing the joints well with fevicol to avoid loose sounds/gaps.

I remember a Premier Padmini car probably 80's it used to have a plastic box angled towards the seat, these boxes were fixed on the rear where normally the speakers are fixed but this would avoid a big hole made for the speakers and when removed would look ugly in spite of spoiling the original rack.

for further info...DIY Audio Speaker Box Building FAQ - Tutorial
this indeed is another brilliant idea, i have a similar speaker by Blaupunkt(written in bold on the faceplate) on my 69 vw bus, will try finding a pair-but i doubt the old speakers may not be good enough for the cd beats, but again we can use the cabinet and replace the inner speaker, thats again a neat idea.
Old 11th August 2011, 17:19   #247
BHPian

feeling somewhat happy today, as i planned to pull the engine off from my recent addition-the fontana grey 61 beetle,to repaint the engine tin and shroud parts ,that are not accessible with the engine in,now will replace the seals of the compartment as well and the starter bushing in addition,so i was really surprised and happy to see a beautiful VW logo in the center of the muffler,so its again stock,the German quality-after 50 years of random use and storage ,the exhaust that has no paint or chrome or coating on it didn't lose health to rust?now i cleaned it with a wire brush to bare metal and will get it powder coated in a day or so, to bring it back to original and new glory,may be for another 50 years,here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011080900435.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011080900436.jpg  

Old 11th August 2011, 23:17   #248
Senior - BHPian

Now this is called the in depth, never ending passion for something you love. Awesome idea Gill sahab, very few would concentrate on exhaust which is vulnerable to different temperatures, dust, water etc powder coating is a appropriate & a good idea, I will try this on my Vespa as well which has got paint for the past 6 years.
Old 12th August 2011, 11:42   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Now this is called the in depth, never ending passion for something you love. Awesome idea Gill sahab, very few would concentrate on exhaust which is vulnerable to different temperatures, dust, water etc powder coating is a appropriate & a good idea, I will try this on my Vespa as well which has got paint for the past 6 years.
i personally tried many types of paints and coatings on the exhausts,but as the air-cooled temp is too high the paints etc burn off and chip off within few miles of running.I tried to nickel plate my vespa exhaust when it was new, and its a success-never burns away same like the motorcycle exhausts,and in this case, i tried powder coating as nickel is not possible due to some minor pits on the body due to 50 years of age-the powder coating on my 61 bug is as good as fresh -black mat finish and no rust even after continuous running of hours even near the manifold where the temp is highest, so my personal experience of powder coating on hot temp areas is an ideal choice in all respects of durability,finish,long life and off course the budget, just rs 100 and a day for one vw exhaust.
Old 13th August 2011, 08:19   #250
Senior - BHPian

There was in one place hitlon on on the rear deck lid of the engine compartment. What are the benefits and exact use ?
Cheers

Last edited by karlosdeville : 15th August 2011 at 17:03.
Old 15th August 2011, 16:41   #251
BHPian

Went for another drive to the city on 13th Aug ( as i live 25 kms away from the city) a total of 60kms ,good weather,good drive ,mixed type of Indian roads,some accessories and back home,here are some pics,i guess i didnt share some door panel pics before,here are some
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011081300516.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011081300518.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011081300520.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011081300523.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011081300517.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011081300524.jpg  

inderpalgill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 22:31   #252
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Gill Sahab you beetle baby looks so cute, and that too with new gen alloys she is a angel. Oops! you also stay 30 kms far from city as me, I hate to be far from the city & travelling 70 kms daily, but in your case on of the pics makes it feel worth to live with those scenic roads with fully grown trees, the internet ad makes me feel as if Ranbeer Kapoor is appreciating your car on the road. Over a very good looking car and I am sure you must be enjoying every bit of it sir Ji.
Old 17th August 2011, 13:32   #253
BHPian

Quote:
hello friends , yesterday i mean 7th august being sunday we left home at 6am for a Sunday morning long drive , me and my dad, he drove the 71 super beetle and i was in the recently done 61 sedan,we went to a beautiful canal side the spot discovered yesterday only .Approx 32 kms one way and then back by 11 am, as it was getting hot as the day was rising, we had a nice time with the beetles,discussing them and their beauty of engineering over some cups of tea and later some mangoes from our picnic basket,here are some pics to share
interestingly saw an add on the internet-some one selling Passat alloys(not in India) and they look almost the same as the one i used on the 61 bug(as mine are from skoda laura-vw stamped at the back)the pattern is almost same and so is the center cap,but mine are 6 legs and those ones 7 legs, i think searching for such a center cap with better looking vw logo(as mine is self made and can be termed DESI) will add to the looks,and as now i have finalized to keep the alloys on ! and safely pack the new hub caps and freshly painted rims,as a mixed response and the votes for the alloys are better and not bad for a change as none of my cars(off course the old ones) have alloys.here is the pic
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-3930425.jpg  

Last edited by inderpalgill : 17th August 2011 at 13:34.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:36   #254
BHPian

another progress,changed the clutch cable, the older one was welded by the prev owner and might gave trouble any moment-very grateful and thankfull to the bullet boy,who offered me all the available sizes on returnable basis and that too on faith-no deposit,really happy to have jalopy shop amongst us to help us,no more imports for tiny stuffs like cables etc,So i yesterday and finally put up the VDO white dial oil temp gauge and the similar looking volt meter,it was supposed to be mounted on the speaker grille (on the dash)that dad brought along with the gauges,but the speaker grille was bigger,and dint fit the 61 grille slot,moreover the back of the dash had to be cut a bit,didnt do the cruel act-so simply made a hole on the sftermarket grille that came with the gauges and flipped it below the ash tray,a bit deep so that it wud not touch the hand while gear shifting,works very well the temp rises a bit on idling will go for a long drive ,to experience the temp and hence the working of oil temp gauge.As allways here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011082400678.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011082400684.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011082400686.jpg  

Old 29th August 2011, 16:11   #255
BHPian

yesterday got some more parts and accessories, some parts like made in italy SS exhaust and intake valve set for the 61 beetle-Fontana grey as iam planning to do the heads so are the valves,valve guides and seats-as she may perform even more better with the unleaded fuel-can some one suggest the source or trick or a substitute for a 6V coil,as iam feeling the new one to be on a costly side,what can be done. a new set of 77mm piston rings for a friend and also got new TMI sunvisors for the blue white 61 and some more tit bits,here are the pics to be shared.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011082900727.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011082900728.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011082900729.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011082900730.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011082900731.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011082900732.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011082900733.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011082900734.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011082900735.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011082900736.jpg  

My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-img2011082900737.jpg